• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Sky Battles!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I think it is a pretty interesting idea. And I am not surprised that only flying and levitating pokemon can participate. I mean, it would be unrealistic and unbelievable if a pokemon like Snorlax could join, although that would be awesome x3

I am excited to try Sky Battles. I think it will be a fun and cool :3

But Pokemon that can fly without being Flying type or having Levitate cannot enter, so no Beedrill, Volcarona, Garchomp...seems pretty lame that Pokemon that can fly are excluded since they don't have Levitate and aren't Flying type.

I just hope sky battles will have some kind of special feature, and are not just regular battles but for flying/levitate pokes only

Its pretty much a gimmicky special battle that's just a normal battle with restrictions. They showed a good amount of it with some battle footage. Nothing out of the ordinary was shown.

I don't like the idea of having an option to battle. It defeats the purpose. And since its mostly flying pokemon, any duel electric/ice type will destroy the competition

There aren't many of either dual types outside of legends. I think only Ice/Flying is Delibird and Electric/Flying is Emolga. Neither of those are really that threatening when you mix Levitators in.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I think Sky Battles are BLIMMIN' AMAZING additions to the normal set, since they really give a cooler look to battling. The option to battle... meh, I think since setting up the sky battle is hard, I'm sure no one can just jump on you and say - "Hey! Let's battle!"

... but the flying restriction seems unnecessary. It's logical, of course, but in Ruby, underwater didn't stop my Blaziken to Sky Uppercut that Relicanth, did it?

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
What they should have done to flesh it out a bit more was limit it to everything that can learn Fly, has wings or the Levitate ability (or simply looks like they can levitate.) Like that, you could see things such as most Dragons and Ghosts participate. Maybe there's more to it than what's been released so far.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
This is one of those situations where when we were speculating I was so hyped up about it, and now that we can actually see it I'm just disappointed. It just looks like a giant gimmick. Plus on top of that, from what we know (as others have stated), not everything Flying typed can participate? I guess if they make it make sense like certain Pokémon like Dodrio or Gyarados who have Flying typing but don't really fly can't participate, but everything that does actually fly can, then I'll be okay with this. If it's just stuff that is Flying typed and capable of flight that they left out for no good reason, then I'm just going to be disappointed further.

On a whole different level, graphically it just doesn't look that impressive either =/ They could have done so much with this, and they just completely dropped the ball on this one. Maybe they'll revamp it before release, but I'm doubting that.

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
My big hope is that they make it a tier itself and perhaps ban entry hazards from it. It would make sense if entry hazards aren't usable in the 1st place cause your above the ground so there's no base for stealth rocks or spikes. As a competitive battler and Flying being my favorite type I'm excited for this new feature. Hope it wont be a train wreck and will provide a healthy fun experience.

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2013
It looks awesome, I like how they're trying to implement new things into this game. I only hope they bring the game corner slots back in the Eng version XD

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I personally like the idea of sky battles, I'm surprised this wasn't implemented in earlier games. I think that it will be unique to see how Pokemon will battle in the air. I'm curious about these.

xavient

GameboyLuke
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I'm interested to see what they will do with this.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I personally like the idea of sky battles, I'm surprised this wasn't implemented in earlier games. I think that it will be unique to see how Pokemon will battle in the air. I'm curious about these.

They battle as if they do on the ground, its pretty much the same animations from what was seen. Only issue is you can only use "some" Flying types and Levitators.

Still using "some" because that word was used at E3 meaning that not all were planned for the Sky Battle. Other than that there doesn't seem to be any other changes to battle format other than limiting the roster you can use and maybe some of the moves.

My big hope is that they make it a tier itself and perhaps ban entry hazards from it. It would make sense if entry hazards aren't usable in the 1st place cause your above the ground so there's no base for stealth rocks or spikes. As a competitive battler and Flying being my favorite type I'm excited for this new feature. Hope it wont be a train wreck and will provide a healthy fun experience.

Stealth rock would actually be the only exception...they are floating rocks that dig into the opponent switching in. Spikes and Toxic Spikes I do agree, but Stealth Rock would still be able to be used based on its description alone.

The user lays a trap of levitating stones around the opponent's team. The trap hurts opponents that switch into battle.

Here's a bonus to ease some of your worries though, the only Flying/Levitating Pokemon capable of using Stealth Rock are:

Skarmory5th Gen MT/Breeding, Aerodactyl5th Gen MT, GligarGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT,LunatoneGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT, Solrock/5th Gen MTGen 4 TM, BaltoyGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT, ClaydolGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT, BronzorGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT, BronzongGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT, GliscorGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT,Archen5th Gen MT, Archeops5th Gen MT, and Landorus5th Gen MT.

Most of these have other threats to worry about and I don't see them focusing as Stealth Rock users. Depending on backwards compatibility this list may not even be accurate.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I wanted the "Sky Battles" to come along with "Sky travel" like "Sea battles" come with surfing.

Oh well at least this gives flying Pokémon a chance to be used...feel bad for the bug/flying Pokémon though (those that can be used for these battles because as Xander said GF used "some" when talking about which ones can participate) as I imagine a good number will be majority flying rather than levitate so those moves will easily defeat them. Next Zapdos and Articuno will rule. Articuno will be able to take down the Dragon/Flying (if fast enough) and Levitating Dragons and Zapdos the none Electric/Flying, Rotom and other levitating none flying pokemon (well fan Rotom is part Electric/Flying...)

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Seems like it might make certain points in the game more challenging (inb4 Flying Gym or evil team sky base), which I'd say is good, but it is a gimmick.

Rayquaza 97

Draco Meteor.
Years
Pokemon like Emolga, Zapdos, Eelecktross etc will be useful for sky battles so hopefully pokes like Emogla will be in the regional dex as I thought it was pretty cool. Anyway, I think it will be kinda annoying if you have a flying type in your party and you dodge a trainer, only to be confronted by a trainer wanting to have a sky battle. Sure it would be new and cool at first but then would get annoying. Usually toward the end of the game when I have grinded my team I really can't be bothered to battle NPCs so do whatever I can to dodge them, and it may be I don't use a type that has levitate or a flying type, even though flying types are my favorites. This is just my 2 cents and I know most people like to battle everyone and like the feature, but it just seems like another to get annoyed over for me lol.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Moving my convo with Damian to here since its soley about Sky Battles

I guess that is a good point. Most likely the accepted levitators won't be electric type, cause that would be completely unfair. I'm also sure that might include Emolga, as its species more represents a glider not a flier.
An idea that I just thought of for what levitators will be allowed, most likely Psychic types and ghost types. Probably nothing severely anti-flying, as most opponents you face mid-air will be flying type...give it a fairness.
Well I wouldn't say something Anti-Flying...I mean Delibird and Skarmory have an incredible edge over Flying types and they won't be discluded.

We have seen two types of levitaters so far, Haunter and Flygon. So things with more free range that has been shown I guess. I can see Emolga as she has been shown to have the ability to fly much like Gligar despite his entries saying he can only glide.

Out of all the Pokemon with Levitate..I'd say these are likely not to be added in:
Koffing
Weezing
Unown
Baltoy
Claydol
Chimecho
Chingling
Bronzor
Bronzong
Rotom (including all forms)
Tynamo
Electrik
Elektross

Flying Pokemon I don't see participating:
Doduo
Dodrio
Scyther
Gyarados
Hoppip
Skiploom
Jumpluff
Mantine
Mantyke
Shaymin

That's really all I can see.

Jumpleet

Rise Above The Rest
Years
I would love to use Vivillon in the Sky battles. As I would battle, I would sing "Butterfly in the sky, I could go twice as high!"

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
I agree with this idea. Looks like Skyla having those Sky Battles in the anime is a hint. However, I personally think all Flying-types and all those Pokemon with Levitate should take place in Sky battles (even Gyarados and Eelektross). Especially Eelektross, since it'd pwn all those Flying-types. :D

Back