• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon S.T.A.R. Heroes & Adventures

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
ibamvqygYwLt5j.png

Official Website: http://pkmnstar.blogspot.com/
Play it here: http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/pok-mon-s-t-a-r-heroes-adventures/22722/

Official Trailer:

What is Pokémon S.T.A.R.?

Pokémon S.T.A.R. is simply Pokémon re-imagined as an Action RPG. Many of the elements of Pokémon you know and love are still there, while some features were added/dropped depending on what the developers thought worked best. Pokémon S.T.A.R. is HTML5-based and was made with Construct 2.

The aim of Pokemon S.T.A.R. is to recreate Pokemon as a fast paced, action RPG. In order for fans of the series to have an easier time with the game, many systems for the mainline series will be re-imagined with utmost care in an Action RPG fashion. EVs/IVs/Traditional Leveling/Evolving/Stats are all featured in the game, most of the battle algorithms have been faithfully recreated in S.T.A.R.

What's the difference between Heroes and Adventures?

"Heroes" uses the battle system created for Pokémon S.T.A.R in a mission-based arena. In "Heroes," rather than train Pokémon and explore, the player is only tasked with fighting battles using the provided Pokémon. This offers a unique set of challenges to the player while eliminating aspects of Pokémon outside of battle.

Naturally, those who enjoy the adventure of Pokémon should look towards Adventures. It will be a full-fledged RPG using the same battle system in Heroes. However, it will be fleshed out to incorporate the trainer, trainer battles, wild Pokemon, dungeons, gyms, and all manner of other things. This games' development will be more intensive, and can't fully start until the battle system in Heroes is perfected.

Key Differences Between Mainline RPG and STAR

• Stat buffs/nerfs last for a period of time, since "battles" and "turns" are more loosely defined.
  • Accuracy and Evasion are no longer factors and depend on player skill. All moves that change those stats now change a new stat called Stamina.
  • Moves no longer have PP, and instead use a common Stamina Pool.
  • As an action game, the player cannot rely on traditional advantages such as type or level.
  • There is no multiplayer, but there will be leaderboards for players to match their progress against other's around the world.

Goals
Pokemon and Moves will be added to the game in order. Starting with Generation I, all first stagers will be added for the benefit of Heroes' Little Cup, and then the next stages for the remaining cups. I haven't quite decided where to draw the line on movepools, but as it is now I'm using Gen IV as base.

Engine
These game is designed to run on Chrome, but it should work with IE and Firefox. I like having it browser-based so that updates can happen without the players having to do anything, but I'm also considering downloadable versions of each major update. This game is being made with Construct 2 and is HTML5 based.

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Credits
redblueyellow - Ripped Mystery Dungeon & Ranger Sprites

Last edited:

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Great idea, and concept, also amazing screenshots.

Can't wait to see more of this.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
It's an impressive project, and it seems you're well on your way with it. Using Heroes as a test for your battle system prior to working on Star seems like a very wise decision for your engine. Unfortunately, I can't play it presently to offer feedback in that regard as my laptop's mouse is having issues and I'm stuck with only a trackpad presently.

Best of luck, I'll be keeping an eye on your project as it progresses!

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
The game doesn't use a mouse, just the arrow keys and ASDFZ so far.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
iTBgCvbzurpFz.png
inO8oSkVq4jOh.png

A new game mode is in development. From the main site:
"I don't have all the details right now, but this "Hero Quest" mode will replace the Arena mode of the current version of the game. You'll still have access to the Arena, but the main gameplay will have you using, buying and catching your own monsters. It's essentially a streamlined version of the main games.

You navigate maps like the one in the picture, but there won't be story or dungeon elements. There will be towns with shops, areas to fight wild Pokemon, areas to fight trainers, and of course Gym Leaders to challenge as you progress through the game. Towns will also give you access to new Arena Missions, and using the money you win from missions you can level up your team with Rare Candies, buy other items, or actually buy new Pokemon.

There won't be any need for PC's, you'll be able to carry all of your Pokemon with you since this is more like Stadium and not an actual adventure (that's what Pokemon S.T.A.R. Adventures is for). However, you can only battle with the number of Pokemon your opponent uses to keep things balanced, and you have to buy additional slots for your party (you start out with 3). "

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020

Welcome to Oak's Lab where we explore the mechanics behind the Pokémon STAR series.

In this episode we see how a Pokémon's level can effect the moves it uses. In order to further expand on the idea of Pokémon becoming stronger as they level up, I decided to apply this directly to moves. As can be seen in the video, the range/size of moves increase as a Pokémon levels up, further showing how it's maturity affects it's abilities.

There are many factors that will affect the "feel" of a Pokémon. For those of you who have played STAR extensively, you may have noticed that the movement speed of the Pokémon are differnt. This is because movement speed is directly tied to the speed stat. Weight can also be a factor. In the video, you see that Solar Beam pushes back Bublasaur slightly. The distance of this "recoil" is actually determined by the Pokémon's weight. A fully evolved Venusaur wouldn't have this recoil issue considering it's considerably heavier. All of these traits and more will be factors in how a Pokémon plays.

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
^Well, the sprites are stretched because I wanted the game at a resolution of 640x480.

Announcing:
New pokeymans every week this month. February Fest.

New Screenshots
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
New pokeymans every week this month. FREREEREBruary Fest.

Third Week Update
Spoiler:

Second Week Update
Spoiler:

First Week Update

Spoiler:

Random Pic:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
awesome you have great contruct 2 skills never thought this will be possible with construct.

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
awesome you have great contruct 2 skills never thought this will be possible with construct.

Thanks, it's a powerful little program.

Last update for February Fest:

In addition to new mons and new missions, we have a Twitch Plays Pokemon themed mission as well, for a limited time.

No abilities, no held items, and a smaller move pool... do you think you have what it takes?
i8OmkKvx8xwfZ.png

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
Update: 1.2.03
Skill Lag and the flow of battle are being worked on.
Poliwag and Abra are the newcomers in this update.

ivhnGR6Bl2YNT.png

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
Change Log 1.2.04: Boss Mode Added!

Take on the stone-faced tyrant in the all-new boss battle mode!

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
Hey all, I started a let's play before development on the game starts back up again.
The goal is to get a better feel of the game before I make changes to the underlying systems in addition to bug fixes. I also will provide commentary and insight in the game's development.

Part 3:

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
Damn, this game looks awesome! I'm surprised it isn't getting more attention. That Boss Mode clip looks badass too. Can't wait to see more.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
This actually looks pretty great good luck with this and i hope work is continued on it!

Back