• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Paranormal: Fact or Faked?

What do you believe?

• Total voters
Years
How do you feel about the paranormal and the occult? Is there truly a rational explanation for most hauntings and Paranormal occurrences, or are there other, unexplained forces at work? Have a favorite ghist story or any personal expieriences? Share them here.

Discuss away!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I believe that there's about a 99% chance (probably higher) that everything paranormal is accounted for by tricks of the brain. For example, there's a whole part of your peripheral vision that shows white sparks if you're looking at a blue background. Those kinds of things aren't well known, and there are nearly infinite combinations of environment, paranoia, and mind tricks that can cause a person to see what they think is something paranormal.

But I wouldn't discount researching all instance of 'paranormal activity' to find out why they happened. If it's a trick of the brain, people learn more. If not...who knows?

Years
I believe that there's about a 99% chance (probably higher) that everything paranormal is accounted for by tricks of the brain. For example, there's a whole part of your peripheral vision that shows white sparks if you're looking at a blue background. Those kinds of things aren't well known, and there are nearly infinite combinations of environment, paranoia, and mind tricks that can cause a person to see what they think is something paranormal.

But I wouldn't discount researching all instance of 'paranormal activity' to find out why they happened. If it's a trick of the brain, people learn more. If not...who knows?

There's also things like Carbon Monoxide exposure, which can also be attributed to hallucinations and other 'Paranormal' phenomena.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
It's really a mixed bag. There's things that cannot be explained, but there are also explanations for many things, like hallucinations. I'm not totally sure what to believe though, but once there is definable proof for either side, then I'll be persuaded to say whether there really is such thing as the paranormal or not.

You can't prove that the paranormal doesn't exist. Prove to me that tiny pink invisible unicorns don't exist. There's no way to prove a negative.

droomph

weeb
Years
I believe that there are things other than the seen. Sure, we may not see them, but who is to say they don't exist at all? String theory's ninth dimension proves it indirectly - that there are universes that aren't ours - maybe they're accidentally interacting with us?

Anyways, I think people who argue for either side are stupid and ignorant - No? Well, you're not looking at all the possibilities. Yes? Well, then prove it. Until a definitive counterexample is given for either side, it is true as true can be. Of course, this "truth" isn't the snobby truth that religious freaks give you. No - this is the "Big Bang"-esque truth, one that is ready to be claimed false at any given second.

But who is to say they don't exist? Who is to say that they do? There is no answer yet, so I'll take comfort of my dreams, and you to yours.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I personally haven't seen ghosts or paranormal activity, Yet! My grandma has seen so many (especially from relatives that have passed on) - in my opinion is a mix. Some are faked, others are real. Since our planet has so much yet to be discovered

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I believe that there are things other than the seen. Sure, we may not see them, but who is to say they don't exist at all? String theory's ninth dimension proves it indirectly - that there are universes that aren't ours - maybe they're accidentally interacting with us?

Anyways, I think people who argue for either side are stupid and ignorant - No? Well, you're not looking at all the possibilities. Yes? Well, then prove it. Until a definitive counterexample is given for either side, it is true as true can be. Of course, this "truth" isn't the snobby truth that religious freaks give you. No - this is the "Big Bang"-esque truth, one that is ready to be claimed false at any given second.

But who is to say they don't exist? Who is to say that they do? There is no answer yet, so I'll take comfort of my dreams, and you to yours.

Since many 'paranormal' activities can be explained, that is fair evidence to say they do not exist as mystical or ghostly events.

Videos can be faked, photos edited, scenes staged. In the past if you even got ill it was because of ghasts and ghouls, so I think it's fair to say that paranormal activity is not paranormal at all and is just the coincidental collaboration of a lot of normal events.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Do I believe in the paranormal? No.

Do I believe it doesn't exist? No.

I simply can't draw any conclusions on the matter. Theres no way to prove or disprove either side, so I'm not on either one.

I do realize the fact that paranormal things may exist. I've just never knowingly encountered them. If I gave it much thought, I could come up with many conspiracy theories on whether they exist or not, but its too boring, and I wouldn't be able to prove anything anyway, so why bother?

blue

gucci
Years
50/50, I don't think anyone can say they believe in the Paranormal until they experience a fully irrational occurance.. there's millions who claim to have experienced this stuff but as believable it may be, it's just words so.. who know's?

droomph

weeb
Years

Since many 'paranormal' activities can be explained, that is fair evidence to say they do not exist as mystical or ghostly events.

Videos can be faked, photos edited, scenes staged. In the past if you even got ill it was because of ghasts and ghouls, so I think it's fair to say that paranormal activity is not paranormal at all and is just the coincidental collaboration of a lot of normal events.
Sure, there are a lot of buttfaces who want to get famous fast, but you have to at least believe that one of those stories are true. And it's no use proving that they're true - if that person lies, in the end it's gonna get 'em.

And in the end, who cares? If there isn't anything...then what's the point of telling me I'm wrong? In your world we won't exist after death anyways, so why not let me have my thing?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
If it cannot be explained by science or if it cannot be analyzed through the scientific method, I do not feel compelled whatsoever to believe in it.

Kinda like scientism, I suppose. Philosophically, no, you can't disprove most of these things, but you can't prove them either. Metaphysics and epistemology must attack both views. Given these, I do not consider speculative philosophy practical for investigating these occurrences.

Science, on the other hand, is theoretically capable of giving us the ability to get as close as we may possibly desire to absolute certainty of a piece of knowledge, given science remains pragmatic, even though science can never truly give us true, absolute certainty of facts. In the end, each person must make their own decision as to how much certainty they must have to accept a proposition as knowledge.

As for me, I have accepted the conclusion that science forces these paranormal occurrences to be impossible events, and that all anecdotes can be explained and debunked.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I have no idea. I used to think that yeah it was just made up for show or attention or whatever, but I myself have experienced some things that could definitely be considered paranormal and I never really knew if I should think of them as my mind playing tricks on me or if it's actually something real.

I think that, at least from my experience, people don't understand just how real a paranormal experience can seem until they actually have one themselves. For me, it's so real that I can almost immediately disregard all logic and reasoning saying "this is fake" simply because of the underlying thought of "I know what I saw". There is stuff I'd rather keep private right now which I'm not gonna go into so yeah some detail has been left out but I sometimes find it hard to believe, from my experience, that some of the stuff I've experienced wasn't actually real.

...omg I sound crazy right now. ):

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I personally have to agree with AdvancedK47. I just can't believe in anything like paranormal activity without any scientific facts.
However, it's also hard to believe that millions of people are liars. Of course a lot of them are, but then there are some who were tricked by their mind. Fear, drugs & alcohol are usually far underestimated when it comes to hallucinations and illusions.

Also, think about it this way - just because something paranormal happens, why immediately assume it's because of ghosts, aliens, zombies, mummies or other mythical creatures? Human beings only have 5 senses. Perhaps "paranormal" activities are caused by some form of energy that we can't sense, and science hasn't explained yet. It may be stupid, but it's just a theory.

Years
Unless you can prove to me that it doesn't exist, or is a hoax, I won't deny the existence of something paranormal. It's probably all the tv that's getting to me, but there are a lot of weird things that have happened, many unexplained. If you can't explain an occurrence by conventional means, then what's left? You can't toss out the possibility of unexplained forces.

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2023
The thing with cases of a "Paranormal" nature is that many (if not most) can easily be proven as fake, whether it be due to tricks of the minds, drugs, hallucinations, etc.

However, there are multiple times where nearly none of the evidence can support either side. The reason? We, in nearly all incidents, never find enough and even if we were able to, our minds will become cynical in a sense or in other words, we simply don't want to believe. Why do we not believe? Well, we may never know why and even now we can still guess at it. Is it possibly the fact that many of our species are too persistent with the knowledge we have that we don't want to be proven wrong? I know I wouldn't.

And even then, how much evidence do we have that, theoretically, can prove things like this? For example, we'll start with mermaids. By all means, a species of humans, or even our ancestors, could have broken off from us and, over many years, evolved and adapted to the sea when the need arises. It's of course happened before. Polar bears had once merely been brown bears who, during a time where they lacked food, decided that by turning to the ocean, they could find what they needed. Obviously, it worked because after some time, they developed webbing on their front paws and can now hold their breath for minutes. Not to mention the fact that mermaids are one species spoken about in many cultures all over the world.

Nessie, she or they, could easily be a plesiosaur that somehow reached the loch and survived extinction, some mammals and many fish did. Bigfoot, easily neanderthals or some other early species that have not evolved or simply evolved in a different way than we did. Aliens, while they may not actually abduct people (though they vary well could), is something a bit harder to explain. I will ask this though. Do you really think we're the only ones in this universe? Ghosts... Well, I can't find a way to explain that way.

Remember though, even with all of what I just said. I could be completely wrong and everything is merely an optical illusion or something of the like.

Nonetheless, while I've never experienced anything like this (To my knowledge), I still hold a firm belief that there is something else out there that we cannot and may never be able to explain.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
I haven't seen much paranormal activity firsthand, aside from a few odd experiences, but I am interested in the paranormal, and I do believe there is some proof.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Also, think about it this way - just because something paranormal happens, why immediately assume it's because of ghosts, aliens, zombies, mummies or other mythical creatures? Human beings only have 5 senses. Perhaps "paranormal" activities are caused by some form of energy that we can't sense, and science hasn't explained yet. It may be stupid, but it's just a theory.
A valid point. We can't directly sense radiation, for example, but are fully aware of it; we weren't, however, in the past, with the only explanation for someone dying of it (not that they would've back then, but humour me regardless) being blamed on divine retribution or the like. My own sentiment to add to this is that even if these various paranormal entities exist, it is probably as unreasonable to assume them hostile as it would be to assume as much of a random person in the street. Therefore it would be prudent for a believer to also regard their spirituality when it comes to 'doing unto others'.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I believe that there are paranormal things out there, or at least there is something that we really can't understand yet that's out there. However, I do believe that some TV shows and others fake this kind of thing which is to be expected. I'm not really sure what to think yet, but I think that there's SOMETHING out there, be it ghosts, aliens, another universe/realm/world, or some form of energy. Unfortunately I don't really have anything to prove it, it's just what I think.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
Predictions, mental projections, spiritual projections, and foresight interest me greatly. It's nearly impossible to prove to someone else if we have these experiences though. Standard logic will always say it's brain tricks, illusions, hallucinations, etc. so it's normally a risky subject to even discuss in public. I think a lot of people fear the subject as well, at least in my experience from real life discussions.

It should be noted that there is one particular person is called Edgar Cayce who supposedly had the power to gain knowledge while sleeping. He was a well documented psychic that left a lot of information about his peculiar abilities before he passed on. Fact or fiction? Who knows. He was an interesting man none the less.

Still, I remain skeptical like most any other person would. Even if an entire crowd was subjected to some kind of strange sighting or experience, not everyone would believe it if they were not there.

Back