• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Land of the Maple Leaf ~ Canadian Club

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Well aren't I the late-comer!

Username: Jay_37040
Relation to Canada: Born in Bracebridge, Ontario. Lived all my life in Ontario
Favorite Province: Ontario (The only province I've lived in.)
Reason for Joining (optional): To connect with other Canadians in these forums.

October's nicer weather, that's for sure. Right now it's all grey and damp in Toronto.

I never complain about inclement weather... it's perfect for Pokemon gaming. Although recently I've spent more time writing. Currently working on an ebook fan fiction and putting the finishing touches on my second novel which I hope to publish soon. Cross-fingers. The more bleak the weather, the more I get done, so bring on the rainy days!

Last edited:
Years
You are the latecomer :< You're probably one of the first members I found out about who actually are Canadian!

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Ah well. Better late than never, right? It just never occurred to me to look for a Canadian group as the vast majority on here are from the U.S. and I've only talked to a tiny number who are actually in Canada.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
There used to be a lot more Canadians here but now I think the most represented Commonwealth country on PC is Australia. :( We need to step it up!!
I guess I always forget that Americans don't get Remembrance Day off as well, so it makes a little more sense to have one holiday in October and November, rather than 2 within a couple of weeks. While I'm sure a good number of people would take advantage of Black Friday, I'd much rather have it a little earlier on too, because November always seems to have poor weather (I think it's been sunny one day this month so far out west).
A fair bit of Canada doesn't get Remembrance Day off either, actually. It's not a stat holiday here in Ontario and while I remember it being one when I lived in Nova Scotia, apparently it's not a stat holiday there anymore either. :( It doesn't really make a big difference to me either way but it would be nice to have it off as a holiday... both because I like days off and I remember when I was younger, my family would always go out of our way to go to a Remembrance Day ceremony when all of us had the day off, so I like to think I would do the same with a day off now. (I can't in good faith say that I would, though, since I don't think I was even AWAKE for 11am this year and that's when they hold them... >>)

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Hmmm, what did I do this Rememberance Day? Oh yeah, worked on my model railroad, did some Pokemon gaming, wrote a chapter and did some shopping. A pretty normal day off for me. I think if the day were made into a stat holiday, the only thing that would probably change would be the shopping part. Since everything except variety stores would be closed, I wouldn't be able to do much that's for sure.

I'm all for more stat holidays. I'm just not so much a fan of the religious stat holidays since I'm not religious. But even so, I resent the fact that only certain religious holidays are accepted, namely the Christian ones, and that the religious holidays of other religions barely get any recognition. I would prefer it if either all religious holidays are observed or none of them are. It's only fair.

Years
A fair bit of Canada doesn't get Remembrance Day off either, actually. It's not a stat holiday here in Ontario and while I remember it being one when I lived in Nova Scotia, apparently it's not a stat holiday there anymore either. :( It doesn't really make a big difference to me either way but it would be nice to have it off as a holiday... both because I like days off and I remember when I was younger, my family would always go out of our way to go to a Remembrance Day ceremony when all of us had the day off, so I like to think I would do the same with a day off now. (I can't in good faith say that I would, though, since I don't think I was even AWAKE for 11am this year and that's when they hold them... >>)
Hmm... you learn something new everyday. I could've swore that it was one of the few stat holidays that was Canada-wide, but I've never lived outside of BC, so I guess I wouldn't know any better. You'd think with the long stretch between Thanksgiving in early October and Christmas in late December, they'd throw one day off in there.

And I really wish that Black Friday sales were something that stayed south of the border. I'm sure that a lot of people are going to get some decent deals, but I'm definitely not looking forward to working during it tomorrow.

Years
Some of the tech companies manage to ooze their Canadian markets some love. I just got $200 off a Thinkpad yesterday. Couldn't manage to find anything like that for Dell or Toshiba though :\

Back