• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Harry Potter // Fan Club

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Lightning said:
Aww, you took out the part for unsorted members. You should've left it in and listed them as Squibs or Muggles for not choosing. ;D

:O crap! That was totally not intentional; I must have forgotten them! Luckily I remember who they were, I shall put them back in later haha.

Lightning said:
Except his definition of "protect Harry" is "be a total dick to him and yeah I guess save his life a lot but always look like the bad guy to him anyway and then with your dying breath, tell him how obsessed you were with his mom for the last 30 years". Ack.

I do understand this, and that's why I think it was so geniusly done. Throughout the books all anybody ever said to Harry was "You look just like your father. Except your eyes, you have your mother's eyes." So Snape was duty-bound by his love for Lily to protect Harry, but at the same time he hated Harry because Harry looked and acted so much like James... the man who he essentially feels stole Lily from him. I think I would have been a total dick to him too, if that were the situation. And then as Snape was dying (in the movie... I can't remember if it was the same in the book) the last thing he said to Harry was "you have your mother's eyes", which was the kindest thing he'd ever said. Just aaaaaaaa I'm almost getting choked up just thinking about it ;;

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Why thank you hun. -bows- I've been wanting to say all of that about Snape for years but of course everyone looooooves him. I mean, like I said, I think it was very brave of him to turn spy for the Order because he felt so bad about getting Lily killed but that is his only redeeming quality as far as I am concerned. Harry is a bit thick, isn't he? The poor dear, I still love him <3

Sirius? Insane? NOOOOOO. I'd never have guessed! XD but yeah Sirius did not do very much to convince anyone of his innocence in PoA. He was chanting "He's at Hogwarts." in his sleep, he slashed up the Fat Lady attempting to break into Gryffindor Tower, he actually broke into Gryffindor Tower and was standing over a thirteen-year-old boy with a knife, sirius hun what were you thinking omg and he pretty much stalks Harry for the entire year. though he was probably trying to make sure peter didn't try anything and I thought Sirius coming to watch Harry play Quidditch was adorable okay
Yeah, being a spy for the Order was pretty bad ass and that's always why I want to think everyone loves him but it's not so it's very confusing. (It's the only reason I have any sort of affection (for lack of a better word) for him. @_@

lmao sirius logic. ;_;' I guess to be fair, even Hagrid who'd only been in Azkaban for like a month went a bit nuts from it. And then look at Bellatrix. I think Sirius has every excuse to be crazy. XD;
Ummm...yeah. This is pretty much entirely me. -slow clap, applause, all that jazz- I really do feel sorry for Snape yeah because I'm so sure he would take pity so well. we'd probably all be dead right now DX. And yesssss @the stuff about him respecting her choice about choosing James. Harry was living proof that Lily loved another man. Snape just couldn't accept that and tormented Harry for it. lol @ harry protective services
I feel sorry for him because he did have a crappy life but that doesn't excuse his decisions and actions. :(

it could be an alternate name for the Order of the Phoenix, really.
HAVE LOTS OF OPINIONS OKAY. I APOLOGIZE IF THEY OFFEND YOU THEY ARE RAMBUNCTIOUS LITTLE RASCALS ;_______; idk about Pottermore. I found a blog on Tumblr that has all of the ~exclusive content omg~ so I just read all of it from there lol. It seems like they're having problems releasing Pottermore to the public-isn't it still locked off to anyone that didn't get in as a beta tester? I really don't know, the last time I heard anything about it it was still locked off to the public please excuse my ignorance omg
Noo it's open to the public now. It's still in beta, but anyone can sign up. (They might still be queuing registration so it takes a few hours to get your welcome email but it's definitely open now.) People are just whining because they're in, they've done everything available, and now they have to wait with everyone else for the other books to come along. xD;
I do understand this, and that's why I think it was so geniusly done. Throughout the books all anybody ever said to Harry was "You look just like your father. Except your eyes, you have your mother's eyes." So Snape was duty-bound by his love for Lily to protect Harry, but at the same time he hated Harry because Harry looked and acted so much like James... the man who he essentially feels stole Lily from him. I think I would have been a total dick to him too, if that were the situation. And then as Snape was dying (in the movie... I can't remember if it was the same in the book) the last thing he said to Harry was "you have your mother's eyes", which was the kindest thing he'd ever said. Just aaaaaaaa I'm almost getting choked up just thinking about it ;;
...you would terrorize and (emotionally? can't think of the right word) abuse a child/teen just because the person you can't get over started a life with someone you didn't like.

*edges away* :(

But uhh... yeah. I don't think hating James is a good enough reason for how Snape acted throughout the books from Harry's POV. Obviously there's bias there since Harry didn't like Snape to begin with but that's Snape's fault anyway. Of course the boy's not gonna like you if you pick on him from day one and do nothing but constantly glare at him from the moment you saw him. And honestly, talking about Harry's dead mother and how much he loved her and then telling Harry that he reminds Snape of her just creeps me the heck out. XD;

Snape did the right thing in the end, and he was on the right side, but it's always felt like he did it for the wrong reasons to me.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
And then as Snape was dying (in the movie... I can't remember if it was the same in the book) the last thing he said to Harry was "you have your mother's eyes", which was the kindest thing he'd ever said. Just aaaaaaaa I'm almost getting choked up just thinking about it ;;

This would have been a much better moment if, at the time, I wasn't thinking.

"BUT THEIR EYES ARE DIFFERENT COLOURS" ;__;.

Shining Raichu

Years
Lightning said:
...you would terrorize and (emotionally? can't think of the right word) abuse a child/teen just because the person you can't get over started a life with someone you didn't like.

*edges away* :(

Well I think 'terrorise' and 'abuse' are a little strong for the kind of things Snape did lol - but in any case his character wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if he had not been surly toward Harry. If he had had the strength to put the past behind him and be nice to Harry (or anybody for that matter - lets not forget that while he did single Harry out, he was not particularly pleasant toward anyone), then his loyalty to the Order would have been compromised, because clearly his love for Lily would not have been strong enough to galvanise him to fight on the side of good. His moral compass independent of that could not really be trusted, judging by the fact that he chose to be a Death Eater in the first place.

Also had he been less 'abusive', the revelations about him that came up in the last two books would not have been nearly as fascinating. He would have been basically Lupin 2.0 - a man with a dark past who overcame his demons and now fights on the side of good. Any interesting cast of characters needs to have light and shade... I see Snape as the shade :P

SwiftSign said:

LOL. I did notice that through the movies. Harry's eyes were never particularly green, and they never made an effort to make them so. Right now, looking at the cover of my Philosopher's Stone DVD, his eyes are the most shockingly bright blue I have ever seen on any kid. The Chamber of Secrets DVD photoshopped them green, but for the emphasis that is put on his eye colour during the course of the books, they sure put in a half-assed effort of it in the movies XD

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
Years
Well I think 'terrorise' and 'abuse' are a little strong for the kind of things Snape did lol - but in any case his character wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if he had not been surly toward Harry. If he had had the strength to put the past behind him and be nice to Harry (or anybody for that matter - lets not forget that while he did single Harry out, he was not particularly pleasant toward anyone), then his loyalty to the Order would have been compromised, because clearly his love for Lily would not have been strong enough to galvanise him to fight on the side of good. His moral compass independent of that could not really be trusted, judging by the fact that he chose to be a Death Eater in the first place.

Also had he been less 'abusive', the revelations about him that came up in the last two books would not have been nearly as fascinating. He would have been basically Lupin 2.0 - a man with a dark past who overcame his demons and now fights on the side of good. Any interesting cast of characters needs to have light and shade... I see Snape as the shade :P

Erm. HE WAS NEVILLE'S BOGGART. Meaning out of everything Neville could've been frightened of, Snape was the thing he was most frightened of. I don't think students aren't supposed to fear their teachers quite this much. So at the very least, he terrorized Neville. Though I think this was because if Voldemort had chosen to go after Neville and his parents, Lily would still be alive. Now, if that would've happened, though, Bellatrix might've tortured Lily and James into insanity in place of Alice and Frank. So either way, Lily was most likely doomed, and Neville, like Harry, had absolutely nothing to do with it.

And really, the fact that he doesn't even make the effort to be nice to anyone doesn't improve his character to me. Snape is most definitely in the 'gray' area, as far as I'm concerned. I can't call him a villain, after Lily's death, of course. Before Lily's death, I'm quite convinced he was a villain. and I most certainly can't call him a hero. He's an interesting character, but not a pleasant character.

and then there's this

"'Please, sir,' said Hermione, whose hand was still in the air, 'the werewolf differs from the true wolf in several small ways. The snout of the werewolf - '
'That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger,' said Snape coolly. 'Five more points from Gryffindor for being an insufferable know-it-all.'"

—PoA

I mean really snape? Really? You have to resort to name-calling like a child? Really?

and then there's this. spoilered because it's kind of long
Spoiler:

This. I just asdfjkl this made me rage so much as a kid. I mean how dare he say something like that to a student. It still makes me angry every time I read it. God. it probably doesn't help that I love hermione omg and Snape just seems to go out of his way to pick on her, the jerk. D:<

again my opinions are rambunctious little rascals and I hope I explained all this clearly. D8

This would have been a much better moment if, at the time, I wasn't thinking.

omg I know like seriously they didn't even bother to make Lily's eyes blue. (since dan is allergic to contacts or whatever and thus in movie canon harry's eyes are blue and not green i guess. They kind of gave up on even making them look green after CoS) THAT'S LIKE THE WHOLE POINT OF SNAPE, ISN'T IT? Like the only reason he would have any sort of affection towards Harry (lol) is because he has his mother's eyes. but then in the movies...they don't have the same eyes. Nice.

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Years
Well yeah, as I said he was an unpleasant character. He was bitter and didn't care much for the world and that made him easy to hate, but he was easily one of the most interesting characters and I look for that over general niceness any day. I think the fact that he ended up being on the side of good and the reasons for that made me love him, because before that I was hating him right alongside you. I don't think it's pathetic for him to have pined for Lily for that long, either. But maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic :P

Anyway, I don't think anybody is going to change anybody's mind on this haha - I get why people hate Snape.

If anybody ever says anything bad about McGonagall, however... well, you don't want to face me then. :P

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
Can't say anything about her new book except that it sounds like what you see on Barnes & Noble shelves nowadays. Not that it's wrong. I'm curious to see what it is.

"Barry Fairwhether" sounds like a very odd name though XD

Typical JKR name for a fictional character though. It's like a random wizard who never made it to the books so she's using it for this book.

JKR and Sony have partnered up for a new PS Move game called "Book of Spells" at today's E3 conference.

It's connected to Pottermore since that is partnered with Sony.

Last edited:

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
Okay. You have to let me join this. I LOVE Harry Potter.

I want to be in Ravenclaw.

My wand is holly, phoenix, 10 inches.

The rat turned purple.

And Sakura Rain, you are my Sirius fandom buddy lol. He's my favorite character, I don't care how weird he is.

If I start discussing my clearly insane theories that the Veil is a portal to another dimension....feel free to tell me to shut up. XDDDDD

And has anyone mentioned the weird fact that the Marauders all died in reverse order of their names on the Map.
Bet she planned that, lol.

Shining Raichu

Years
Hey Zayphora, welcome!

RubyJB88 said:
JKR and Sony have partnered up for a new PS Move game called "Book of Spells" at today's E3 conference.

I watched that unfold at E3! I was so excited I nearly jumped out of my skin when they first mentioned JK Rowling's name, but I was actually disappointed with what it showed. The spell book idea is pretty cool, but to be honest the execution looks kinda lame. Unfortunately though, I'm going to have to buy it, because it's going to feature original writing by JK Rowling and there's no way I could ever miss that. I must see it all. Damn my franchise loyalty :(.

I still have to finish Book 1 on Pottermore too, before Book 2 is released haha. I couldn't get my interest back after they sorted me into Slytherin.

Zayphora said:
If I start discussing my clearly insane theories that the Veil is a portal to another dimension....feel free to tell me to shut up. XDDDDD

Insane or no, I want to hear your theory. Gogogo.

As to the Marauders dying in reverse order, I never noticed that! That's really cool! But if she did plan that, why? What purpose did that serve to the story? WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!

Zayphora

Years
I actually didn't notice it either, my friend told me...She probably did it as a sort of creepy symbolic thing...

So basically one day I saw this GIF that said something along the lines of
"What happened to Sirius when he went through the Veil? He went to Narnia."
It was pretty stupid but hilarious, but that got me thinking(because as he's my favorite character I am always grateful for a possible explination that would mean he's not dead, lol) What if he didn't actually...die? WHAT IF THE VEIL ISN'T JUST A CREEPY ARCHWAY THAT EATS PEOPLE, HUH?

<.< Told you it was insane.

Shining Raichu

Years
Yeah OK that is pretty insane haha - though again I'm dumbstruck by the amount of people who call Sirius their favourite character!

I guess it surprises me so much because he really wasn't in the story that much. He was a great character, but he was only in the end of the third book, sporadic communications in the fourth and more dominantly in the fifth - but in a story with a wealth of amazing character like the Harry Potter universe has, it just shocks me that people would single him out as their favourite when others got the opportunity for shine twice as bright for twice as long.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
So basically one day I saw this GIF that said something along the lines of
"What happened to Sirius when he went through the Veil? He went to Narnia."
It was pretty stupid but hilarious, but that got me thinking(because as he's my favorite character I am always grateful for a possible explination that would mean he's not dead, lol) What if he didn't actually...die? WHAT IF THE VEIL ISN'T JUST A CREEPY ARCHWAY THAT EATS PEOPLE, HUH?

Well, yeah, the veil is sort of a barrier. Like the one in Platform 9 3/4 (ehh, sort of). The veil is a one-way trip to the land of the dead, so one cannot go back once they've entered. I suppose you already know this. If not, well, then more knowledge for you!

Shining Raichu

Years
I still never really understood the point of the veil. Bellatrix used the Killing Curse on him, so he was dead anyway. I don't understand why it needed to conveniently happen right next to the portal to the realm of the dead :P

I think it would have had more impact if she'd hit him with a Stunning Curse or something and it made him stumble backwards into the veil - because that way it would be more tragic as it were a curse that wouldn't have killed him otherwise; it was just a terrible choice of location that made him die.

Zayphora

Years
My friend and I have actually argued about that. In the book it says specifically that the light shot off by what Bellatrix shot at Sirius was red. Isn't the Avada Kendavra green? Forgive me if I'm just clueless.

The Veil scene confused me too. I read the fifth book when I was around 10 and I was confused. I got that he was dead, but I really sort of forgot about the whole Veil thing until I convinced myself to reread the 5th book. (I had gotten mad right after I read it for the first time and said that I would never read it again. EH WHAT A WEIRDO I WAS I actually like the fifth book a lot now.) And when I reread it I came up with my insane conspiracy theory, which I hope all of you forget I ever said, as it's embarrassing.

Two semi-random things-
1. If the chapter is called "Beyond the Veil" then why didn't the illustrator lady use a picture of the Veil as the illustration at the beginning of the chapter? To keep from giving a little spoiler, maybe? Or maybe to make the Veil itself even more confusing? Anyway, I just don't think that a picture of flying brains was the best one for that chapter.

2. Is "Veil" capitalized like that anywhere but in fan descriptions? I mean, was that something that JKR intended or did we make it up? (Or am I the only one who capitalizes it like that?

Derrrp>.>

Shining Raichu

Years
Oh, so it wasn't the Killing Curse Bellatrix shot at Sirius? Well that does make it a lot better then - I haven't read the book in ages, I was just going by what I remember from the movie, and in the movie she definitely says "Avada Kedavra". I guess they changed it for the movie to dumb it down for people who wouldn't realise he was dead otherwise :P

Also you must be American or something :P in the Australian/English copies of the book there are no illustrations at all, so you're lucky you get any haha. I agree though, the flying brains were definitely not the main event of that chapter. Perhaps the Veil is alluded to somewhere in mythology and if people had seen what it looked like they might have remembered it and knew somebody was about to die? Just spitballing here lol

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
Years
Yeah OK that is pretty insane haha - though again I'm dumbstruck by the amount of people who call Sirius their favourite character!

I guess it surprises me so much because he really wasn't in the story that much. He was a great character, but he was only in the end of the third book, sporadic communications in the fourth and more dominantly in the fifth - but in a story with a wealth of amazing character like the Harry Potteruniverse has, it just shocks me that people would single him out as their favourite when others got the opportunity for shine twice as bright for twice as long.

):

I call Sirius my favorite character. Or at least one of my favorites. I just think he's fascinating, and I thought it was so cool that he broke out of Azkaban just to protect Harry and kill peter but really who cares about him but I do wish he'd been given more screentime. He got reckless in OotP, and I didn't much appreciate him saying to Harry, "You're less like your father than I thought." but I think if he'd managed to hang around longer we would've got to see a lot more of him.

@Zayphora YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS WE ARE UNITED IN OUR LOVE FOR PADFOOT <3 and yeah, I saw that, but I don't see what kind of difference it would make. Well, besides making me sadder. not for peter though I HATE PETER

...will I be considered a traitor to the fandom if I don't get the game?

Shining Raichu

Years
Nah you won't be considered a traitor for not getting the game - in fact I've thought about it and I probably won't either. The original content will probably end up on YouTube or another random site I can just look up and the game itself looks absolutely terrible, so I won't bother. It's cute that they made it tie into Pottermore, but I think Pottermore is basically a huge flop itself as well. Does anybody even still use that site?

But onto Sirius - can you shed some light on what makes him fascinating? Maybe it's just because I haven't read the books in so long, but I can't remember anything that particularly stood out to me about his character. I always liked Sirius, because he was on the side of good and he made a great father figure for Harry, but beyond that I've never understood why everybody thinks so highly of him. I guess I just missed what was so special lol.

Back