• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

They ruined pokemon

Do you like the new versions or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 28, 2018
I hate it when people do this (no offense). The games should never affect your love of Pokemon, because the love should be directed at the Pokemon. Even though I haven't played the Gens. I,II, or III, I still love those Generations anyways, because I've had the chance of being with those Pokemon all the same.

So really, I don't see the harm that the new versions have done to the franchise...I like most of the Pokemon in Generation 5, and that most likely won't change just because some sequels came out to it (although I did think that it was rather bland that the Legendary was just Reshiram/Kyurem, and Zekrom/Kyurem. :\).

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
These are my humble opinions..

I enjoyed Black and White a lot myself, and I started from Red/Blue. What I do dislike is the "expansion pack" route that Nintendo took with Black and White 2. Why? Because the reason I buy new Pokemon games is to discover new Pokemon, not play an entire "new" game without the 100s of new interesting Pokemon to catch.

I understand that some people may enjoy the DLC/expansion/sequel models for a lot of games and it does work well for many games. In my personal case, I was disappointed with Nintendo for not making a brand new Pokemon color and instead choosing to separate one game into two games. Obviously it was a smart financial move though, as Nintendo's income will undoubtedly double (or quadruple in the case of 1 person buying Black 1-2 and White 1-2).

The game industry must be worried in general because companies are dropping like flies recently. Pokemon seems to be playing it safe for now and using previously successful titles ("Soul" Silver, "Heart" Gold etc.) to maintain it's financial stability. I still have hope for a fresh new Pokemon game though, hopefully Nintendo is able to keep up the new Pokemon coming thanks to the income that Black and White 2 gave them.

Apart from Black and White 2, I have no other complaints with Pokemon games (the "colored" games) though.

P.S. I voted "Yes" since I liked nearly all of them, I do wish there was a "For the most part" option though.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
I grew up with Pokemon... Started with RBY and then basically stopped playing Pokemon when RSE came around. Then, when DP came about, I couldn't resist spending the money from my very first paycheque to buy a DS Lite and Pokemon Diamond. I absolutely loved it. Then I kind of fell away from it again and didn't play Pokemon again until recently, when I bought a 3DS last November.

When I first played Pokemon Black, I thought the new Pokemon were absurd. I mean, an Ice cream cone? A BAG of GARBAGE? But then I remembered some of the most interesting Pokemon of gen 1: Muk? Koffing? Hitmonchan / Lee? Mr. Mime? Jynx? Voltorb? Magnemite? I mean what were these things?

I've since learned to appreciate the unique designs of Gen V. In every other respect (except the removal of Pokemon following you and the quick touch-screen menu), the BW games are indisputably better than the previous ones. The awesome storylines, the gorgeous (in DS standards) 3D cutscenes, the exciting battles with Pokemon that actually move! Gen 5 brought so many welcome changes to the series, despite the things it lacked, that I've learned to love it like I did Gen 1.

Where else could they really have gone with Pokemon? I mean, more recolours of animals like Squirtle? I'd rather have unique, original designs than gen 1 part 2.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't know why I'm posting because dbp and others said it perfectly! The first generation games were only amazing because you were young you probably haven't played anything like this before. When you play BW, you've probably already played Pokemon a couple times and a bunch of other games and when you don't get the same feeling that you got the first time, it means that the game isn't as good, right? Eh.. it's just an opinion, really.

But honestly, I could never ever go back to the older generation games, they're just so different and the newer games are so much faster and smoother. I do agree with Heracles4 on one point though, it does take an awkwardly long time to enter a building as the game zooms in on the player. Also to exit a building, open your bag, your Pokemon, I'm just nitpicking here but I see what you're saying, it is annoying because like I said it's an awkward amount of time.

I think I might be one of the only people who actually doesn't like the first or second games as much, and I'm talking about the game itself, not the experience I had playing GSC. It's probably because I started with RSE and went backwards, and it was honestly just weird, everything was just so different and the newer games are so much better (I already said that but still). I had a great time playing GSC, it was really fun but I still don't think the games are amazing, there are/were a lot of flaws.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I enjoyed Black and White a lot myself, and I started from Red/Blue. What I do dislike is the "expansion pack" route that Nintendo took with Black and White 2. Why? Because the reason I buy new Pokemon games is to discover new Pokemon, not play an entire "new" game without the 100s of new interesting Pokemon to catch.

Well everyone here was growing tiresome for the predictable third version, but the sequels caught us off-guard, so this is a first time for Game Freak.

I understand that some people may enjoy the DLC/expansion/sequel models for a lot of games and it does work well for many games. In my personal case, I was disappointed with Nintendo for not making a brand new Pokemon color and instead choosing to separate one game into two games. Obviously it was a smart financial move though, as Nintendo's income will undoubtedly double (or quadruple in the case of 1 person buying Black 1-2 and White 1-2).

Well they have to make something to not only surpass sales of the first two gens but also make up for their fiancial losses from the 3DS.

The game industry must be worried in general because companies are dropping like flies recently. Pokemon seems to be playing it safe for now and using previously successful titles ("Soul" Silver, "Heart" Gold etc.) to maintain it's financial stability. I still have hope for a fresh new Pokemon game though, hopefully Nintendo is able to keep up the new Pokemon coming thanks to the income that Black and White 2 gave them.

Tell that to Star Fox, Banjo Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, and Spyro the Dragon. Also, Game Freak said that a Pokemon game with a different gameplay will be best used as a spin-off title rather than part of the main series.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I'll admit, there are things I don't like about Gen 5. I don't like Unova from B/W 1, and by that I mean the structure of the map, it's like after making more or less elaborate maps for the previous games, they completely gave up for B/W. I also miss the mandatory use of HMs to reach new locations (IMO it gave the game a Zelda-esque feel) , replaced by a purely story-driven progression which to me feels like constant hand-holding.

On the other hand, I like the graphical enhancements, especially the very fast battle animations and some spectacular locations like the Skyarrow Bridge. I like the seasons system, changing music (when you talk to musicians on the street) and all those little details that make the game's world come to life. While I don't like the overall Unova map, I do like the new approach when it comes to designing the levels themselves, where you rarely go in high grass if you don't choose to. I thank GF for finally making the inventory unlimited, and, in B2/W2, allowing to immediately use a new repel when the old one wears off (I use them a lot, so to me it's a significant improvement) . I like not being subjected to "push the block" puzzles or having to run after roaming Pokémon anymore.

Every generation brought new things and took some old things away. Pokémon evolves with every new generation, just like all the other series do. In this generation in particular, GF took a different approach and changed some of the game's formula. While some of the changes were hit-or-miss IMO, I do hope that GF will keep changing the formula in the future. Personally, I thought Gen 4 felt too similar to Gen 3, and I thought it made those games look less like new games, and more like rehashes of Gen 3. I had no such feeling while playing Gen 5, and that's what I want from future games.

droomph

weeb
Years
You ruined it for yourself.

As people have said, I think that they took some things away, and some things were added.

I'll admit, I miss the day/night song thing (like in D/P), but hey, I love the seasons! I don't like the map, but I sure do like the beauty of places like Skyarrow Bridge.

It's things like these - you have some things taken away, but you have more given to you. You decide wether or not it's for you. If it's not, then that's too bad - you've made it for yourself that it's bad. In reality, everything is good in some way, and bad in other ways; you need to appreciate and make stand out what you want it to be.

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2013
I felt really negative about the new games around DP.
I didn't like the pokemon in that one (many of them are just ugly or weird), and the story didn't really suck me in.
Because of this, I didn't really take Black as seriously as I could have at the time. By the time BW2 came around, I gave Black a shot and totally fell head over heels in love with pokemon all over again.
I've grown up with pokemon, and have at least one game of every gen right now. When I started looking at Pokemon (black, namely) as an actual game I quite enjoyed it.

I personally loved the changes, such as unlimited TM use, Dream world and Key system. (although there's always the 'pokemon are getting too weird thing' which I understand and the sprites/3d effects/ etc. feel kinda foreign) I especially loved the improvements in storytelling in BW and BW2, and due to those I can't wait for what comes next (But of course, Fingers crossed for RSE remakes, that was my favourite gen)

bulbasaurlover

Bulbasaur Lover
Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2013
Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen are excelent but lavander town sucks :P White 2 and Black 2 have horrible music their graphics are tacky aand I actualy BURNED mine

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen are excelent but lavander town sucks :P White 2 and Black 2 have horrible music their graphics are tacky aand I actualy BURNED mine

Really..? I thought BW2 had some great music. As for the graphics, you can't go wrong with this one.. it's waaayy better than the first generation games, and you actually burned the cartridge..?

BloodyRoyaltyandNarwhals

Normal with a hint of oddity.
Years
I love all generations of Pokemon because they all offer new things and fix old mistakes. There is no "better generation". Likewise, there is no "worst generation". There is only "This is the best generation to me" or "This generation does not appeal to me". All subjective. Just because you as an individual says it doesn't mean it's a fact, so stop treating it as so.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Cruising through Tropes, I remember they made a comment about a thread on here for this exact same topic a year or so ago. For your reading pleasure.

I find it funny when people scream how Pokemon is ruined when they are making millions of dollars at steady intervals. Nothing about Pokemon is ruined, and I doubt in the far future that anything about Pokemon will be ruined.

Sure there are things we dislike, but saying it was ruined is being plain wrong.

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
I don't believe that Pokemon has been ruined. The gameplay has done but improved (obviously). Even the in-game features from being able to hit seven digits with money and repel options made me love the new ones. As for the Pokemon themselves, I do like a lot a the new ones. I thought Krookodile was the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Simipour was my little buddy all through Black. While I can't say they're in the top of my rankings for favourite Pokemon, I definitely do not consider it ruined.

Years
People, people, people!
Your comparing an old game to a new one, in my mind thats like comparing night & day. There's no comparison when you do that.
Look at all the games that it would be pointless to do so:

Spyro the Dragon - Skylanders
Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy XIII
The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword
(these are just the most common examples)
Or Atari - Playstion 3
Comparing these games to one another are about pointless, they are all top games of their own times.

I started with Pokemon Yellow & Red so they will always be close to my heart, i still play them once in a great while. Yes the graphics & game play are totally different from Black(2) & White(2), yet you can't match the game play of a classic. I've played them all except for Diamond, Pearl & Platinum. I still plan on getting them all :laugh: Just like the pokemon evolve so do the games, sometimes with new challenges, others with new places to explore & some with both :) Though I love what GF has done with pokemon so far, I'm sure the next game will be even better :)
With new games there will always be people with different opinions, some who will love them & those who hate them.
Most can say that everything I've typed so far is just a matter of my own opinion, then again thats their opinion :)

KantoSwag

Kanto Wanderer
Years

@Bold
My eyes!!! Lol j/k
You never heard Blue's Theme? Cynthia's Theme? Raimon City? Oh my goodness the music was simply amazing in that game, very well orchestrated. As for the OP I have to disagree with you entirely. The new generation is in fact increasing strategies that we can not have in the Gen 1 games. (EG; Double Battle, Umbreon using curse and another Pokemon using Psych Up), Although I am not a fan of triple battles, I still think it's cool that they came up with that idea and in fact very well implemented in the game. Like the prev poster had stated

Pokemon didn't get ruined, it got better and it will always continue to introduce new mechanics.

Lockdown

Doom in a can
Years
This complicated for me.
They have good and bad things.

Good
  • Improved Graphics
  • New Pokemon
  • New Battle systems
  • Great music
Bad
  • New Pokemon
  • 3d world
  • TO good battle graphics (Ill explain later)
  • New Battle systems
  • triple battles (again, ill explain myself)
  • Short story

Now, to explain some things.
TO good battle graphics. Well, when you use Thunder, the camera goes and looks at the sky, then comes back down. It does that kind of stuff with other moves to, it just gets on my nerves and makes me dizzy.
Triple Battles: CONFUSING!!!!
3d world: Makes me dizzy, good for cinematic effect, but really annoying.
New Pokemon: Just about 200 MORE new things to get used to. WOOPTYFREAKINGGODDANGDOO!!!!!!!!!

Thats how I feel about the 5th gen.

KantoSwag

Kanto Wanderer
Years
This complicated for me.
They have good and bad things.

Good
  • Improved Graphics
  • New Pokemon
  • New Battle systems
  • Great music
Bad
  • New Pokemon
  • 3d world
  • TO good battle graphics (Ill explain later)
  • New Battle systems
  • triple battles (again, ill explain myself)
  • Short story

Now, to explain some things.
TO good battle graphics. Well, when you use Thunder, the camera goes and looks at the sky, then comes back down. It does that kind of stuff with other moves to, it just gets on my nerves and makes me dizzy.
Triple Battles: CONFUSING!!!!
3d world: Makes me dizzy, good for cinematic effect, but really annoying.
New Pokemon: Just about 200 MORE new things to get used to. WOOPTYFREAKINGGODDANGDOO!!!!!!!!!

Thats how I feel about the 5th gen.
Triple battles aren't hard to understand, thats why we have Serebii. I have to admit that I agree with you for some of the animations for attacks and sound fxs with them in the game are not as good as they were in the prev (E.G Psychics animation and sound fx). However the new pokemon, what is a new Pokemon game without the tantamount newer ones to match other regions and Legendaries that contribute to the storyline?

Years
I think it's a matter of how attached you are to whatever generation you played first. My first game was Red but I enjoyed almost every new generation. Only Gen IV didn't do it for me because the intro was just too long. Gen V made me interested in Pokemon again. I like how fast it was but I can understand that others might not like it.

Back