• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite anime series?

Favorite anime series?

• Total voters

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
If you're wondering about Ash Ketchum's age in the anime, keep in mind that the anime (like most cartoons) uses a "floating timeline." That's where time flows forward in a linear way but the characters don't age and the plot doesn't change. Watch The Simpsons and South Park for other examples.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_timeline

Here's a thread where you talk about your experiences watching the anime through the years. Also which ones you like/don't like. I'll start.

Original Series

I watched the original anime when it first came out on UPN. This was right at the beginning when most American kids had never heard of Pokémon. I didn't really understand it much (was in 2nd grade/year 2) but I quietly looked forward to it. As the hype flared up, I mostly stayed a quiet fan.

The first episode I ever watched was Ditto and the Mysterious Mansion, and the first scene I saw in the episode (while flipping through channels) was Ditto transforming back from Meowth.

When the show moved to Kids WB, the hype went completely out of control. At the time I didn't have any cards or games, but some kids gave me some of their old cards and I loved the idea of collecting an army of monsters. I still watched the anime, quietly. I soon had a GameBoy Color and Yellow Version.

Adventures in Orange Islands

I thought Orange Islands was boring and pointless but still liked the tropical island setting. Ash showed a decent amount of character development and I was a closet PokeShipper. I didn't like Brock (and wished he never came back) but Tracey made me want to push him off that Lapras and let him drown, and Misty was boring.

Johto Journeys

The opening theme for Johto was a lot of fun and I always sang along. I liked all the new Pokémon and the region in general. While it seemed good at first, for whatever reason the show felt like it was going downhill with the same old baby Ash Ketchum trying to fail at being a Pokémon master and the tired old Brock fawning and Misty pulling his ear. I remember the earlier episodes and I also remember Ash's performance in the Johto League. But honestly, I don't see the point in trying to watch those other episodes again.

Advanced Generation

I watched a few episodes at the beginning and didn't care at all for it. To me, the whole concept of Ash starting over in a new region appealed to me but it was the same old Brock and Max was that annoying little kid I couldn't stand in school. I don't remember anything about the Hoenn League except the Meowth with boots.

But recently (and I mean only in the last few weeks), I've been going back and watching some AG episodes. The show just had a quiet, mellow feeling to it. I can't help but watch and feel content. For a lighthearted children's show, it was actually really good if you didn't want flashy music and over the top characters and bright lights all over the place, which is exactly what children's cartoons started becoming around that time.

Over time, I've really learned to like May. I hated her at first but she grew on me. An adult version of her would be someone like Delia Ketchum, but what's wrong with that? Then there was the episode where they get stuck on an island right before the Hoenn Grand Festival. Also, she seemed to have more character development than anyone else in the series, which is a big plus.

Battle Frontier

It was good seeing Ash with his old Pokémon and seeing familiar faces and towns in Kanto. But it just felt like a mix of really bad elements from both the original and Advanced arcs. I liked some of the battles with the Frontier Brains and I liked that one time-traveling episode where May saves that one guy's life. But for the rest.... who cares?

Diamond and Pearl

Fourth generation of Pokémon was the first time I felt like I was watching a world with a lot of really diverse animals. I watched almost every episode. I loved the contests. I didn't care much for Dawn because she reminded me a lot about those really annoying high-maintenance girls that I almost got involved with. I liked the supporting characters, and having Paul as a rival just made Ash into what I wanted him to be like in the original series.

Everything just felt so alive in that series. The people, the characters, the Pokémon, and even the movies. I was very, VERY entertained.

When I saw Ash go to Sinnoh for the first time, I was like "YAY NO BROCK!" And then the truck scene. Even though I hated Brock, at least Croagunk jabbing him was funny. Misty and Max pulling his ear was pointless.

If you want to ask where Croagunk takes Brock, there were some episodes where Brock was kneeling or sitting on the ground with his head down off the screen, but still near the other characters.

Best Wishes

At first I was really excited by the way they were rebooting the Pokémon franchise. Everything looked good in HD and I honestly thought Ash wasn't going to be a baby anymore. Boy, was I wrong.

I consider Best Wishes to be the worst anime series. The writing was boring. Iris and Cilan were worse than Tracey and Brock. The Pokémon had me excited at first, and the rotating team was promising, but it later turned out to be a really bad version of the original series. I gained back interest in the episodes with Dawn, but quickly stopped caring again. I don't want to watch the Unova League because doing so would ruin my childhood.

Decolore Islands

Seriously, what was the point of all that?

XY

I REALLY hope the writers don't let me down this time. I watched the first two episodes and was completely blown away. Ash looks (and acts) older, wiser and hopefully smarter. I saw Serena at the opening and I just thought "YES! FINALLY A GIRLY-GIRL WHO DOESN'T SUCK!" Then I read up on her in forums and let's just say these two better be a couple.

Yes, it's possible to have couples in a show for 10 year olds. There were a lot of boyfriend-girlfriend pairs in the Pokémon anime in the past, and one with main characters would be the best thing ever. I hope the writers don't disappoint me this time. I've watched A LOT of cartoons and live action children's shows with main character couples in them. Remember Tiny Toons? Babs and Buster were dating and they kissed in a few episodes. Or how about Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable? I used to watch both shows in my tweens.

I watched the third episode in Japanese yesterday and I'm waiting patiently for the scene where Serena meets Ash. So far I like Clemont and Bonnie better than May and Max. Both have very colorful personalities.

I already like what I'm seeing so far of the Kalos region. Everything looks so alive and beautiful. It looks like it's going to look and feel great, and if it does, I'll watch this as enthusiastically as I watched the original episodes.

Please try to stay on topic. I know how these threads turn into endless rants about Ash's age, shippings, how disappointed some people are that old characters aren't coming back, or whatever.

Last edited:

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
I prefer the original series and here is why:
1. I'm a stickler for the classics.
2. I've seen the most episodes of it, so I got into it more.
3. Misty is the best girl for Ash.
4. Jesse's and Jame's song is the best in the original.
And that is why :D

Years
The Indigo League was the best. Even some of the filler episodes were great. The anime was a lot more hilarious compared to what it is now. The Orange islands was great as well and Ash finally built a good team.
Things started to get slightly boring after Johto although there were some memorable episodes.

I've watched until BW: Rival Destinies and it has been really average. Contests were really rubbish at times; cramming an entire tournament in 1-2 episodes and doing that 5-10 times a season. They could have done that a lot better.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 13, 2015
I like the Johto Journeys series the best. Probably because I like the Johto region the best, but I also thought that those episodes were a lot of fun. It's the only one of the series besides the original to keep my interest.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I prefer the Best Wishes and Decolore Islands the most [I seen every generation since the originals], most of my favorite episodes are from that era, many of my favorite Pokemon appeared as well. Voted for 'Best Wishes' since it contains my #1 favorite episode (The Pokemon Harbor Patrol)

Keitaro

Urashima
Years
I enjoyed the first 5 seasons, after Ash fought Gary and they replaced the cast I really had little interest in the anime. The first season though was on another level story wise, comedic wise and the fillers didn't feel as grinding to watch; in fact you wanted characters like Bill, AJ, the Samurai etc. to return to see how much they progressed. Also Ash was hilarous in the original season, he has become really dull over the years.

xVaporeon

used bubblebeam!
Years
  • Age 26
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 25, 2022
The original series. I loved it so much - re-watching every episode from number 1, actually.

I loved the character build and the writing of the Indigo League. So many heartbreaking but beautiful moments.. ah. My favourite episodes of the Indigo League were probably the two episodes with Sabrina - "The Tower of Terror" and "Haunter versus Kadabra".

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I voted for both Johto and AG. The Kanto episodes weren't that exciting IMO and I haven't watched DP yet so I don't have an opinion. I like BW and Dec. but not as much as Johto and AG. What I like most about Johto was the humor. AG kept the humor and also added more strategy and excitement into the battles.

Years
Orange Islands because it was so unique and funny, at least to me, and Hoenn because it introduced some of my absolute favorite characters (May, Drew, Harley, etc). Unova was nice as well but mostly just for Cilan and the fifth generation Pokemon.

shadowdueler474

Muffins for all!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 25, 2014
I went with Diamond and Pearl as my favorite. The dynamic between Ash and Paul was great. The way Ash and Dawn actually learned from each other was a nice thing to see accompanied by a pretty good Pokemon League battle it became my favorite.

I would've chose Johto because it had an amazing Pokemon League and it was funny but most of the season was a lot of filler that I just couldn't get interested in. And over the Original Season because all the gym battles in this season was complete BS. Ash only legitimately won Koga's badge and Blaine's to an extent and the end of the Pokemon League was just plain disappointing.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
I'll always say the original series, mostly because I'm only up to diamond and pearl. But battle frontier has been my least favourite so far.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
I went with Diamond and Pearl as my favorite. The dynamic between Ash and Paul was great. The way Ash and Dawn actually learned from each other was a nice thing to see accompanied by a pretty good Pokemon League battle it became my favorite.

I would've chose Johto because it had an amazing Pokemon League and it was funny but most of the season was a lot of filler that I just couldn't get interested in. And over the Original Season because all the gym battles in this season was complete BS. Ash only legitimately won Koga's badge and Blaine's to an extent and the end of the Pokemon League was just plain disappointing.

1. How exactly did Ash and Dawn learn from each other?

2. I agree with your points on the original, but Best Wishes was more disappointing.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Have to go with Advanced Generation, as I found it to be the most interesting. When I was younger, I used to tune into Kids' WB every Saturday morning just so I can watch it. Battle Frontier would have to be my second favorite, and as for the third, that's gotta be a tie between the original series and Diamond & Pearl. My least favorite is Black and White. Not sure why, but I just wasn't too fond of it. ):

Years
I adore the original series and Johto Journeys, since those are the two I've seen the most episodes of. I stopped following the anime after Diamond and Pearl or so. I attempted to watch Best Wishes, but I really didn't enjoy it all that much. Since then I've taken to rewatching the older stuff whenever I have the time.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 3, 2013
I have to say the original but that is because I have only watched up to Johto. But I really really like Pokemon Origins I wish that could be counted as a Pokemon Series.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
I'd say Original, Johto and then Advanced...mainly because of nostalgia, and I really don't like Cilan or Iris.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
Years
I would say my favorites are the Original series and the Diamond and Pearl series, mainly because those are just the ones I've watched the most of. Sinnoh is one of my favorite regions so far and the Original is the beginning...nostalgia.

Back