• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler]Returning Characters (Speculation)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't think Looker will make a reappearance. :( To have such a small role end-game in B/W leaves me with little confidence of him returning, or even getting to battle you.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Alder - I can see him still in the game, just not as the role of Champion. From what I thought he didn't really feel like dealing the the role that a Champion has to deal with i.e. manning the helm at the League. So I could see him pass on the title to his apprentice Marshal or Cheren who already beat all of them right after the character did. Alder strikes me as a traveling that goes about the region and helps where he can and takes in the pokemon world, which is what he seemed to be doing at times in BW. I can see the character being able to face him post main story, and him assisting the character in a double battle like Lance and Steven have done in the past.

N - As already mentioned there seems to be a lot left open with his story that has yet to be resolved or explained. His return more then just about any prior character seems essential to me. N needs to resolve the conflict with him and Ghetsis and thwart whatever Ghetsis has in mind. I can see N playing the role of the silent protagonist that helps when needed again maybe Plasma or whomever else is present.

Ghetsis - Him and N return seem interlinked imo. As with N his story seems unresolved as he got broke out of prison, and then what? Did he start a new organization, did he go into hiding, did he go to another region? I would like them to fill in the blank for me. And then ultimately have him properly deal with what he put N through and the crimes he committed.

Cheren - I think he would be good as a gym leader, elite four member, or Champ. He has proved to be strong in the previous game, so maybe he may some notable improvements with the time skip as well.

Bianca - I can see her either being Juniper assistance(obviously pending Juniper is there) or playing some sort of role in Pokemon Musicals. Other then that I don't see what role she would really play.

Juniper(s) - I can see both of the Junipers still in Unova, what role they may play though may be different. Hopefully you can get another regions starter for Aurea though.

Looker - I would rather see another international police member this time around. I mean Looker can't be the only officer in the police organization. More then likely he will stay, but I'd like to see a new officer.

Cynthia - She may be at the Villa again, but if there is a Champs League I'd rather see that instead.

Years
Alder - I can see him still in the game, just not as the role of Champion. From what I thought he didn't really feel like dealing the the role that a Champion has to deal with i.e. manning the helm at the League. So I could see him pass on the title to his apprentice Marshal or Cheren who already beat all of them right after the character did. Alder strikes me as a traveling that goes about the region and helps where he can and takes in the pokemon world, which is what he seemed to be doing at times in BW. I can see the character being able to face him post main story, and him assisting the character in a double battle like Lance and Steven have done in the past.

N - As already mentioned there seems to be a lot left open with his story that has yet to be resolved or explained. His return more then just about any prior character seems essential to me. N needs to resolve the conflict with him and Ghetsis and thwart whatever Ghetsis has in mind. I can see N playing the role of the silent protagonist that helps when needed again maybe Plasma or whomever else is present.

Ghetsis - Him and N return seem interlinked imo. As with N his story seems unresolved as he got broke out of prison, and then what? Did he start a new organization, did he go into hiding, did he go to another region? I would like them to fill in the blank for me. And then ultimately have him properly deal with what he put N through and the crimes he committed.

Cheren - I think he would be good as a gym leader, elite four member, or Champ. He has proved to be strong in the previous game, so maybe he may some notable improvements with the time skip as well.

Bianca - I can see her either being Juniper assistance(obviously pending Juniper is there) or playing some sort of role in Pokemon Musicals. Other then that I don't see what role she would really play.

Juniper(s) - I can see both of the Junipers still in Unova, what role they may play though may be different. Hopefully you can get another regions starter for Aurea though.

Looker - I would rather see another international police member this time around. I mean Looker can't be the only officer in the police organization. More then likely he will stay, but I'd like to see a new officer.

Cynthia - She may be at the Villa again, but if there is a Champs League I'd rather see that instead.
Nicely laid out post. I agree with most of it. One thing though. Cheren would make a good gym leader - a role in which he could find a use for that strength he was searching for - but a member of the Elite 4 is probably pushing believability.

I'd hope most or all of the gym leaders would return for cameos, but not all as gym leaders since having new gyms is part of the fun.

Years

I know this has been brought this up numerous times here at PC, but Cynthia had some very interesting dialogue in B/W during the summer, stating:

Being a couple years later, do you think this is a sign of things to come?

....so. Red vs Ethan/Kris/Lyra/Lance vs Steven/Wallace/Ruby/Sapphire vs Cynthia vs Alder/Cheren(?)/Hilbert(?)/Hilda(?) in one glorious battle royal?

....take my money now Game Freak.

EDIT: OH. As a post-game thing, after you become Champion, you could fight ALL of them. Well, maybe not all, but most of them.

Anyway, I'm pretty much going to echo what's been said about the Unova characters, but as for non-Unova...I can see Steven or Wallace showing, maybe one of the Hoenn Gym Leaders, especially if they plan on doing a R/S/E remake next. At least, that would make sense to me.

Kleinchen

boldly going
Years
  • Age 31
  • CA
  • Seen Jun 4, 2013
I would be really surprised if N or Ghetsis weren't part of the story line in some way - it just seems to me that their unfinished business is by far the most likely route GF would take for the sequels. I also think RSE remakes will still be part of Gen V so it would make sense for a few Hoenn characters to make appearances or cameos - maybe one of the Gym leaders/E4, or some other important character like Wally the psuedo-rival.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I have one major reservation about the "champions get together" thing... it could be used as an excuse for Game Freak to include an overused character in yet ANOTHER game. Now, if they made Kanto's representative Leaf (to make up for her absence in HG/SS) or even Lance, I'd be okay with it, but if you-know-who from Kanto shows up yet again, I'm going to be very angry and disappointed. On that topic, I'd rather see Steven as Hoenn's entry over pretty boy Wallace.

Now, as for Unova characters, I definitely am in support of an N vs. Ghetsis final showdown. Other characters I want to see come back are Elesa, Bianca, Cheren, Clay, and Shauntal.

And... just in case Game Freak wants to throw in a totally random and unrelated character in B2/W2 to throw us for a complete loop... I would suggest Miror B. :P

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I can see Brawley appear in the town with the water gym leader, surfing and enjoying the beach like how Jasmine enjoyed the beach and the light house in DPPt.

Cynthia- She will likely appear once again, but I don't mind, she's one of my favorite characters.

Crasher wake- Well he did appear in HgSs so why not B2W2. He can appear near Landorus' shrine, enjoying the site of Unova's waterfalls.

I can see Brawley appear in the town with the water gym leader, surfing and enjoying the beach like how Jasmine enjoyed the beach and the light house in DPPt.

Cynthia- She will likely appear once again, but I don't mind, she's one of my favorite characters.

Crasher wake- Well he did appear in HgSs so why not B2W2. He can appear near Landorus' shrine, enjoying the site of Unova's waterfalls.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Sadly Leaf doesn't exist outside of FR/LG so its doubtful she'll appear. Same as Lyra with HG/SS. Only female Protags are May and Dawn that are set as seconds, though due to choice, either could become a Champion. I see Dawn/May over Lucas/Brendan only because they are Anime Character as well like Red is a representation of Ash.

Though if its a Tournament of Champions I see Red/Lance (thier regions are linked so there is only one Champion for Kanjoh Group), Steven, Cynthia, and Cheren/Alder/B2W2 PC (Well YOU become Champion after all). So it would be between the four of these groupings. As I see it at least.

Years
I alse see May and Dawn as the champions but that's due to the manga rather than the anime (the two girls gathered their regions badges), and Black will show up again as champ (again basing this due to being a fan of Poke special).

I'll perfer to see Steven return rather than Wallance, that guy was too easy...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Now, as for Unova characters, I definitely am in support of an N vs. Ghetsis final showdown. Other characters I want to see come back are Elesa, Bianca, Cheren, Clay, and Shauntal.

Shauntal might not have a place in Unova now, though. If there's a new Elite Four I don't think she has any other connections to the region other than maybe knowing Cynthia? Don't think her entire existence could be in Undella. :x

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022

Shauntal might not have a place in Unova now, though. If there's a new Elite Four I don't think she has any other connections to the region other than maybe knowing Cynthia? Don't think her entire existence could be in Undella. :x

The only connection Grimsley had was that he was an Elite Four member. The only connection Marshal had was that Alder taught him. The only connection Caitlin has period is that she owns a Villa in the region and USED to be a Frontier Brain. Who's to say they aren't ALL replaced? They each had a pretty minor role, Grimsley most of all. So I wouldn't be surprised if they were back, but yet had a much more active role this time around.

Years
^ I would love for the E4 to have an active role like their Manga counterparts, they could help the player out by teaming up with her/him, and giving them items, maybe even Tm's like Dark pulse, etc. ;)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
^ I would love for the E4 to have an active role like their Manga counterparts, they could help the player out by teaming up with her/him, and giving them items, maybe even Tm's like Dark pulse, etc. ;)

Bein' real subtle about the TM there. xD

But yeah. I thought they didn't have enough of an impact, so I'd like to see them somewhat mentor, if you will, the protagonist and maybe the rival, too. I'd love Shauntal to be my mentor. <333

Years
^ Hahaha, I can imagine her writing down what we're doing while training, making a story based around us.
Marshall would be pretty cool too, he seems more like the mentor type too. Speaking of mentor, perhaps Cheren returns as a teacher in the Poke school in the players home t- city, mentoring the player thoughout the game (when we return to the city)

Cello

Tonight!
Years
After replaying through B/W a little bit lately I feel like GameFreak really did set up a lot of the characters for better character development than in past games.
They really put on emphasis on what a lot of the people you came in contact want to be someday, which is why I feel we'll be seeing a lot of the B/W characters return. It also made me get the feeling that GameFreak had sequels in mind this whole time.
They made it clear that Cheren wanted to be much like Alder and told us that Bianca wanted to be like Elesa. I feel like we'll see the both of them return as something along those lines.

Last but not least, I think we'll see N return as a crazy Tarzan man wearing nothing but a loincloth, swinging tree to tree.

Livewire_

Knight of Three
Years
Now that I think about it, an N vs Ghetsis battle would A, be really cool, and B, tie up loose plot ends. N swoops in and hold off Ghetsis, while you go on to fight the Champion/New bad guy, I guess.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Sadly Leaf doesn't exist outside of FR/LG so its doubtful she'll appear. Same as Lyra with HG/SS. Only female Protags are May and Dawn that are set as seconds, though due to choice, either could become a Champion. I see Dawn/May over Lucas/Brendan only because they are Anime Character as well like Red is a representation of Ash.

Though if its a Tournament of Champions I see Red/Lance (thier regions are linked so there is only one Champion for Kanjoh Group), Steven, Cynthia, and Cheren/Alder/B2W2 PC (Well YOU become Champion after all). So it would be between the four of these groupings. As I see it at least.
Wrong, Leaf exists in my heart, my dreams, my computer desktop, and over 1 gig of fanart on my computer lol

But really, I don't quite agree that they "never existed" and the anime and games are different universes so who appeared in the anime should have no bearing on which characters officially "existed." Besides, she's very real to me.

The rabid Leaf fan in me is the one saying she should return. More realistically, it would make more sense for the NPC's (more specifically, those who were never player characters) to show up, which would mean Lance for the Kanto/Johto area. Namely, those who you actually battled as the fifth challenge of the Elite Four with "Champion" in their title.

And your character should definitely be Unova's participant. I'd actually rather not want to see Alder aka Cipher Admin Dakim return.

Jellicent♀;7135469But yeah. I thought they didn't have enough of an impact said:
Bah, we need no mentors! We're plenty good enough to become champion on our own, lol.

But as I said if only one B/W Elite Four member can make a reappearance, I'd want it to be Shauntal.

Years
So it just occurred to me that you never actually battle the Shadow Triad in B/W (at least, not that I can see- I haven't beat B/W yet, and I'm not finding anything online about a battle with them, so). I'm thinking it would be kind of awesome to have a Triple/Rotation battle against them, even if only as a side thing. Possibly have Looker/Cheren/N/Hilbert/Hilda helping you out, although I think it would be better if it were just you against them.

...in fact, now I'm sort of hoping this happens :I

As for the Champion thing, it makes me wonder- assuming they go for the Champions-Free-For-All thing, and if we do get the former Champions (Lance/Steven/Cynthia), what happened to the other player characters? Unless former Champions also participate in it, but...they aren't the Champions, so...o-o?

Back