• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Guide to add new Pokemon without replacing, the easy way

madarawolf

Espada Cuarta
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2023
Things Needed
Advance Pokemon Sprite Editor
YAPE
Icon Editor

Getting Started
To start things off open your GBA rom in YAPE. Then scroll down on the Pokemon list until you reach the question marks after Celebi and click on one of them, it doesn't matter which.

Go down and change the name of the Pokemon to whatever your new one is called, in all caps.

Sprite Editing
Save YAPE and switch over to using Advance Pokemon Sprite Editor. Go to the sprite of the ? you changed, the name should have changed to your new Pokemon.

Go into edit mode. Import your new sprite, make sure it's 64x64 and indexed, and synchronize the palette so your sprite looks right.

Import the back sprite, it should already have the same palette. You can then edit the palette for shiny form in the program or in a graphics editor like paint or photo shop. Save your edits.

Stat editing
After that go back into YAPE and edit your Pokemon's stats, evolutions, and moves.

To edit the moves you need to go to other Pokemon and remove useless moves. I suggest going to evolutions and deleting moves they learn before evolving.

You have to do this because the game can only give a certain number of attacks to all the Pokemon and by deleting unneeded moves it frees up some for your new Pokemon.

You can't edit the pokedex entry or change the icon. well you can change the icon but only if you add one new pokemon.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2011
To edit the moves you need to go to other Pokemon and remove useless moves. I suggest going to evolutions and deleting moves they learn before evolving. You have to do this because the game can only give a certain number of attacks to all the Pokemon and by deleting unneeded moves it frees up some for your new Pokemon.

Ah-ha! I was wondering why it wasn't allowing me to add new moves! Thank you, sir, that was inordinately useful!

After this you're pretty much done, because I don't know how to edit it's Pokedex entry. If anyone knows how please tell me and I'll add it to the guide.

I can answer that one. Unfortunately, the ingame Pokedex can only handle 386 entries, so even if you did write something in, it wouldn't show up in the game.

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2013
I know how to put more attacks without deleting the old ones. For example, if you wanted 14 more attacks you would make 15*256 which is equal to 3840. Go to FSF and add that value to the needed bytes. Copy the offset. Go to Poke Edit Pro and select you Pokemon. Click on the button 'Insert new table' and paste the offset. Then all you need to do is change the attacks.

PS: There's a bug. Once you make that, on YAPE the availables moves will be negative. So in my case it showed up as -14.

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2010
how do i catch them cause i caught it and since tier was no pokedex data, it froze.

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
how do i catch them cause i caught it and since tier was no pokedex data, it froze.
Use Gamer2020's Pokedex Order Editor, and switch out some entries. Then use YAPE and you'll have a pokedex entry. If you switch it around too much, you entries will be out of whack. ex: groudon's entry on torchic.

Last edited:

Ready4failure

my friends and i on youtube...
Years
so, who's been using what to make their pokemon, b/c my paint program sucks too much, I can't make a good looking sprite. Anyone have a suggestion for a prog to make a non-pixelated pokemon?

gl3500

Glcelebi The Rom Hacker
Years
Toolbox

For those looking for advance pokemon sprite editor and lots of other tools, check out my toolbox on mediafire.

Go to my profile and check my biography for link to my toolbox.

For those looking for advance pokemon sprite editor and lots of other tools, check out my toolbox on mediafire.

Go to my profile and check my biography for link to my toolbox.

I apologise if this was the wrong place. No credit goes to me for tools. I justwanted to help people find tools that they may need. All credit goes to the makers of these tools. If this was the wrong place, then i apologise, i was merely trying to help people that could not find advance pokemon sprite editor and possible other tools which are hard to find.

Last edited:

dragonh123

Pokemon Tamer
Years
  • Seen Mar 6, 2013
THANK YOU!!!! I have been trying to edit the moves of new pokemon a thousand times THANKYOU!!! =D

Years
Anyone know about changing the menusprite? I'm not very fond of running around with a question mark in my party :p
EDIT: Nevermind, got it. Advance Pokemon Icon Editor.

Last edited:

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
if i make a new pokemon using this method, what will the cry be?

Back