• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen "Need more water types!"

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Like Hikari, I think we need some more Ice types, as Unova was seriously lacking in that department. Also as someone else mentioned, grass types need somework. They are one of if not my favourite type, but they have quite a hew weaknesses and fairly shallow offensive movepools. I propose that grass types could make up for their weaknesses if there BST were higher than most other types. This would be an effective way to get grass in the right place again.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I don't like too many water types, bar the 5th gen they always have a tendency to overdo it on the water types. (also grass types)

I'm hoping for many more ghost types to be added, with interesting type combinations. Also some ice type pokemon I can use....usually the gen doesn't have very useful ice types or they appear so late in the game I already have my team sorted out.

blue

gucci
Years
Ghost types, it's the lowest common type out of them all and with only 27 Ghost Pokemon I think it's time they introduce a few more.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
Ghost types, it's the lowest common type out of them all and with only 27 Ghost Pokemon I think it's time they introduce a few more.

That, & more Ice & Dragon types (the non legendary kinds, that is.) The last thing that I want is more Water types - we're already drowning in Water types enough as it is. We don't need any more of them.

Guy

just a guy
Years
We could really use more Ghost types as well as Dark, Fire, Ice, Poison, and Steel. I also agree with Jake in that we do need some Grass types that aren't so overpowered by everyone else.

A pure Flying type, just one, would be nice to have too. Sure we have quite a handful of Flying types already, but we have yet to gain a pure Flying type Pokémon.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
All in all, I'd prefer if there were more 'pure typed' pokemon; like steel or ghost or fire, etc, etc. It'd be nice if normal pokemon had some dual type variety too, like say, normal / fire, insead of the traditional flying / normal?

blue

gucci
Years
Tornadus is Pure Flying type but I agree, it would be good to have a Pure Flying type non-legendary Pokemon too.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Tornadus is Pure Flying type but I agree, it would be good to have a Pure Flying type non-legendary Pokemon too.
Tornadus completely flew right over my head (pun intended), but yes, a pure Flying type non-legendary Pokémon is exactly what I was referring to.

shubham2207

Lone Wolf
Years
Suicune u r absolutely correct...

But ghost types are nt used in games as we all prefer to play wid our favourites(mostly lookwise) nt lyk competitive..

Mostly, fire,ice,fight,water,electric,flying and dragon cuz they look cool.. So these pkmn are a must

But there should be pkmn of each type, atleast 5-6..

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I've long assumed that the sort of skewing of types in gens IV and V was a result of GF carefully bringing in new things in order to expand the dex while working with the physical/special split and trying to keep the games themselves reasonably balanced. Basically that they've been adding things a little at a time rather than all at once.

I only hoped that that was the case when gen IV was out, but I've come to believe that it really is mostly because gen IV was notably short on new Fire types, but gen V probably introduced more new Fire types than any previous one, as if the groundwork was laid, so it was time to bring in the new ones. Gen V though probably had the smallest selection of new Water types of any, and gen IV wasn't much better in that respect. I suspect that just like we saw a rush of new fire types in gen V, we'll see quite a few new waters in gen VI (sorry Forever). Beyond that, I'm not sure, and I don't have any specific preferences beyond what I always like to see - interesting dual-types.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
We need more Ghost Pokemon and more Pure Dark Pokemon as they are rare too.

We DON"T need new water Types. We have too many already. There are More Water Types than any other.

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
So as you know, Black and White lacked water types throughout the game, while Diamond and Pearl lacked fire-types (that both introduced in their generations). What would you like to see more of in this generation? Considering what you've seen of the region so far, what types do you think might rise in usage, or what typings desperately need more Pokemon for? Discuss your thoughts!

I don't think Generation 5 lacked Water types as much you think. There were still a bunch that you could choose from for your team. In generation 4 on the the other hand, you pretty much had to pick Chimchar as your starter because it and its evolutions were the only gettable, non-legendary fire-types introduced in Generation 4.

We need more Fire, Ice, Dragon, and Ghost types. Although, I sort of like that those last two are so rare. It sort of reflects their status as being valued/revered/feared. I guess you could say the same thing for fire types as their rarity is supposed to reflect the actual rarity of fire in nature.

An ice type that isn't so weak defensively. This is why I'm advocating an Ice/Fighting type.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't think Generation 5 lacked Water types as much you think. There were still a bunch that you could choose from for your team. In generation 4 on the the other hand, you pretty much had to pick Chimchar as your starter because it and its evolutions were the only gettable, non-legendary fire-types introduced in Generation 4.

We need more Fire, Ice, Dragon, and Ghost types. Although, I sort of like that those last two are so rare. It sort of reflects their status as being valued/revered/feared. I guess you could say the same thing for fire types as their rarity is supposed to reflect the actual rarity of fire in nature.

An ice type that isn't so weak defensively. This is why I'm advocating an Ice/Fighting type.

Well still - given in BW there was only like four you could catch during the storyline I just brought up the one type example I could think of there lmao. Oh and I agree with more ice types with strong defences. Making them weak to focus blast would make them harder to take down so I'd like to see a few of them if possible :)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I agree, as long as they're not legendary Dragon types.

Same, and as long as they don't fully evolve at like level 50.

I hope that they have a nice distribution of Pokemon, so that if you have a Pokemon of a certain type you can't just cruise through the area. In the beginning of BW2, literally EVERYTHING was weak to fighting (aka Riolu), and also almost all of Team Plasma's Pokemon were weak to fighting or ground. I used a Riolu once and a Drilbur in another playthrough and the game became soooo easy.

I don't think they really need to even make more Pokemon of a certain type, they just need to include more from past gens in the game, there are plenty.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Same, and as long as they don't fully evolve at like level 50.

I hope that they have a nice distribution of Pokemon, so that if you have a Pokemon of a certain type you can't just cruise through the area. In the beginning of BW2, literally EVERYTHING was weak to fighting (aka Riolu), and also almost all of Team Plasma's Pokemon were weak to fighting or ground. I used a Riolu once and a Drilbur in another playthrough and the game became soooo easy.

I don't think they really need to even make more Pokemon of a certain type, they just need to include more from past gens in the game, there are plenty.
This neatly addresses the way in which this thread has gone a bit off-kilter and gives me a jumping-off point to point out something I've noticed. Some of the people are responding to what they think there should be more or less of based on the current NATIONAL dex, while others (like me) are responding based on the way that the recent REGIONAL dexes were unbalanced.

For instance, it's not so much that the national dex needs more waters. I don't battle competitively, but I'll take the word of those who do that there are already too many waters. However, UNOVA had too few waters, which was why that was mentioned in the OP. However it is that GF decides to deal with it - by introducing entirely new ones or simply using more from the past dexes - there needs to be more waters in the new region than there was in Unova, just as there needed to be (and were) more fire types in Unova than there were in Sinnoh.

I have no idea what types might be necessary to fill out and better balance the National Dex and can't address that. It and the regional dexes are different subjects, and it seems that much of the disagreement on this thread has come from treating them as if they're one and the same.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Bug, Ice and Grass types need a serious buff. A lot of their weaknesses don't even make sense... why are Bugs weak to Rock? Why is Ice weak to Rock and Fighting? They have a lot of other odd weaknesses, too. On the subject, I'd like to see Dragon types be given more weaknesses, because it's just not fair.

As for actual Pokemon, I do confess Water types in Generation V were SCARCE. Like somebody else said, if you didn't pick Oshawott you were confined to Swanna or Seismitoad. (You don't get Surf early enough for my tastes.) But, this was a flaw present only in Generation V (as far as I remember) so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Like many others have said, we need more Ice types with more variety and decent stats. I prefer having Ghost and Dragon types being a minority (it's what makes them special!), but I wouldn't mind them becoming more common, either. BUT, either way, we NEED Ghost types to be available early into the game, because I love Ghost types and having to wait forever to get one without trading in is cruel. Generations V, IV and II didn't have any problem with this, although Generations I and III (from what I remember) did. Actually, I'd want a Pokemon from every type to be available before the second Gym. And have EVERY non-legendary in the Pokedex be available before the 5th Gym - it's just common sense, people! There's no fun in trading a Pokemon in as an egg (in my humble opinion) and otherwise, certain Pokemon are just unobtainable early enough.

Although slightly irrelevant, I do want to say I wish Gamefreak would stop clinging to the past, and just even out the stats of Pokemon already. Having one fully evolved Pokemon with a base stat of 385, (Beautifly) and another fully evolved Pokemon with a base stat of 600 (Garchomp, I'm looking at you) is just not fair and not fun. Buff up the weaker Pokemon and weaken the unfairly strong ones.

I mention this here because if Gamefreak would bother to fix old Pokemon before chucking out new ones, I'd want less Pokemon of every type because we wouldn't need so many. For example, if they would finally fix the base stats of Pokemon, I would prefer if they could have only 150 new Pokemon or so. If they don't, I'd want 200 more Pokemon to make up for this.

Last edited:
Years
I think there are enough options in the national dex for anyone who's a fan of any type so I don't think we need an abundance of ghosts or dragons or whatever this time around. There are already dozens of each type.

I feel like as long as we get at least three viable options for any type then we're in good shape. Since this is an even numbered generation coming on the heels of 150+ new Pokemon I'm not expecting a huge number of new Pokemon so we'll probably be getting a fair number of old ones filling in the gaps to make everyone happy with the types available in game. Some people will undoubtedly be unhappy when only 2 new dragons are introduced, or whatever the case ends up being, but personally I'd be okay with only a couple of new Pokemon of a given type if they supplement them with older Pokemon.

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
I really, REALLY want more water Pokemon that aren't fish/reptile inspired. A water Pokemon that is inspired by an animal that you wouldn't associate with water. A water-cat would be awesome. I think it is almost required to have a decent water Pokemon on your in-game team. If you didn't get Oshawott in B/W, you pretty much could have the creepy Ghost/Water thing or Swanna. More water choices will be awesome.
I love the dual types they came up last gen, and I'm hoping for more. Ghost/Fire is awesome. I almost want an evolution for Ninetales, being Fire-Ghost.. But then I think of how many ways it could go wrong, so I think "..Naw.." you know? Anyhow.
We don't need many grass or bug types with what was introduced last gen.
MORE COOL POISON TYPES! Less dual grass/poison and bug/poison.

Seismitoad and simipour ring a bell

Good poisons plz

Back