• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate My First Team? ^_^

Years
  • Seen Sep 13, 2011
So, yeah, I'm new here and whatnot. I've always loved Pokemon but have only been recently introduced to the oh-my-freaking-gosh-this-is-ridiculous internal competitiveness of my childhood game. I've tried studying most of it up, and I'm pretty sure I have a solid understanding of the system, so now I've assembled my first team with what I know. Let me know of any flaws you spot, and throw at me whatever suggestions you've got. :)
Note
: APAP = As Perfect as Possible

Politoed
Nature: Modest
Ability: Drizzle
Item: Leftovers
Moves: Scald, Ice Beam, Toxic, Protect
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 6 Defense
IVs: APAP

Toxicroak
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Dry Skin
Item: Black Sludge
Moves: Sucker Punch, Drain Punch, Bulk Up, Substitute
EVs: 172 HP, 136 Defense, 100 Attack, 100 Sp. Defense

Ferrothorn
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Iron Barbs
Moves: Leech Seed, Gyro Ball, Power Whip, Stealth Rock
EVs: 252 HP, 248 Sp. Defense, 8 Defense
IVs: APAP (0 Speed)

Starmie
Nature: Timid
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Choice Scarf
Moves: Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Thunder, Trick
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Ludicolo
Ability: Rain Dish
Moves: Leech Seed, Scald, Giga Drain, Substitute
EVs: 252 HP, 248 Defense, 8 Defense

Quagsire
Nature: Careful
Ability: Unaware
Moves: Waterfall, Earthquake, Recover, Curse
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Defense, 6 Defense

Team's Strengths and Weaknesses:
0% - Electric, Poison
25% - Water, Grass, Bug
50% - Normal, Fire (3), Water (3), Electric, Grass, Ice (2), Fighting (2), Poison (2), Ground, Psychic (2), Rock (3), Ghost, Dragon, Dark (2), Steel (5)
200% - Electric (2), Grass (2), Fighting, Poison, Ground, Flying (2), Bug (2), Ghost, Dark
400% - Fire, Grass, Psychic

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Scrafty: I'd use Ice Punch (for coverage against Gliscor and Landorus), Taunt (to ease set up) or Hi Jump Kick (for a high BP STAB, since Scrafty's STABs are nearly unresisted)

I'd use Curse or an entry hazard (Spikes or Stealth Rock) over Iron Head on Ferrothorn

Blizzard is just terrible on Gyarados due to its low Special Attack, and using Dive can make your opponent send in something resistant to Water to take the attack the next turn:
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Bounce
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Since you have no Swift Swimmers other than Ludicolo itself (and Ludicolo in OU is rather meh), how about Politoed?:
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Grass/Electric)
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs/Scarf

Zebstrika plain sucks in OU; try out Thundurus:
-Thunderbolt/Thunder
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Nasty Plot
-Taunt/Thunder Wave
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Gliscor could be a bit bulkier, and your current set is a bit gimmicky at best:
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang/Facade
-Taunt/Protect
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal

Years
  • Seen Sep 13, 2011
Scrafty: I'd use Ice Punch (for coverage against Gliscor and Landorus), Taunt (to ease set up) or Hi Jump Kick (for a high BP STAB, since Scrafty's STABs are nearly unresisted)
I won't touch Hi Jump Kick; I'm so scared of that 10% miss consequence--destroyed me in many battles just in-game. I tried the Kick + Wide Lens combo, but even then Detect, Protect, etc. ruined me. I think I'll go with Ice Punch. Thanks!

I'd use Curse or an entry hazard (Spikes or Stealth Rock) over Iron Head on Ferrothorn
I heart my STAB. Would replacing Gyro Ball for Spikes be sufficient? The lack of STAB and low PP for Gyro always bothered me.

Since you have no Swift Swimmers other than Ludicolo itself (and Ludicolo in OU is rather meh), how about Politoed?
I was also recommended on turning Ludicolo into a SubSeeder (newly learned competitive lingo for the win!). How about replacing Zebstrika (who twice now I've been informed just plain sucks) for Politoed, and giving Ludicolo the Rain Dish ability + Leech Seed and Substitute?

Gliscor could be a bit bulkier, and your current set is a bit gimmicky at best:
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang/Facade
-Taunt/Protect
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe

Love the ability + item combo--didn't notice Gliscor could have it. I wanted Breloom for the exact same setup, but was turned off by all of his weaknesses. Giving it Facade is also a good addition to that.

I'm updating my rearranged team now. Thanks for the help!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I heart my STAB. Would replacing Gyro Ball for Spikes be sufficient? The lack of STAB and low PP for Gyro always bothered me.

I was also recommended on turning Ludicolo into a SubSeeder (newly learned competitive lingo for the win!). How about replacing Zebstrika (who twice now I've been informed just plain sucks) for Politoed, and giving Ludicolo the Rain Dish ability + Leech Seed and Substitute?

Love the ability + item combo--didn't notice Gliscor could have it. I wanted Breloom for the exact same setup, but was turned off by all of his weaknesses. Giving it Facade is also a good addition to that.

I'm updating my rearranged team now. Thanks for the help!
Nah, because Gyro Ball is at its peak power most of the time because of Ferrothorn's bad Speed. That, and Ferrothorn has little use for the flinch chance. Also, use this EV spread: Relaxed, 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef.

It's still not a good idea to use both Surf and Scald on Ludicolo; I'd use Toxic or Protect over Surf because it's possible to have Scald burn something, inflicting more residual damage alongside Leech Seed (and Toxic if you choose to use it)

Also, it's a better idea to use the EV spreads I recommended for all your Pokemon as well as the set I suggested for Politoed.

Years
Well, I told you I'd shell out a rate, so here goes. Firstly, doubles potential doesn't really matter, since I don't think many people play doubles competitively, aside from VCG. Anyhow, here goes:

Gliscor
Moves: Earthquake, Sand Tomb, Facade, Sword Dance
EVs: 252 Attack, 224 Sp. Defense, 24 Defense, 10 Speed
IVs: APAP (- Sp. Attack)

Specially defensive Gliscor isn't too useful, since you need Gliscor to handle some o fthe metagame's top threats. Also, Sand Tomb isn't that great, even if it traps the foe for a bit, it's still p weak. Try this instead:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
Impish Nature
252 HP/56 Attack/200 Defense

-Swords Dance
-Ice Fang
-Taunt
-Earthquake

Ferrothorn
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Iron Barbs
Moves: Leech Seed, Power Whip, Gyro Ball, Stealth Rock
EVs: 252 HP/48 Defense/208 Special Defense
IVs: APAP (- Speed) 0 Speed IVs

Ferrothorn really needs the above EV Spread to be effective as a mixed wall and Leftovers for recovery [coupled with Leech Seed, to give Ferro some good survivability]. Rocky Helmet is good, but only on a full Physical investment, which isn't what Ferrothorn is best at. Gyro Ball hits much harder than Iron Head, just remember to change the Speed IVs to 0 on the 'Advanced' interface in teambuilder.

Gyarados
Ability: Intimidate
Moves: Waterfall, Bounce, Dragon Dance, Taunt
EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe
IVs: APAP (- Sp. Attack)

Bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados is the most viable set this gen. While Bounce is a 2-turn move, it gives great STAB and type coverage, use Taunt on Pokemon such as Jellicent that may be carrying status moves like Will O Wisp, Blissey with Toxic, so that they can't disrupt your sweep.

Politoed
Item: Choice Specs
Moves: Ice Beam, Focus Blast, Hydro Pump, Hidden Power [Electric or Grass, it's up to you]
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Defense
IVs: APAP (- Attack)

3 Water moves doesn't give you great coverage, use Focus Blast for Tyranitar and Ferrothorn, Ice Beam for Dragons, Gliscor and Landorus, and replace Mist with either Hidden Power Electric for Gyarados or Hidden Power Grass to beat Gastrodon

Years
  • Seen Sep 13, 2011
Firstly, doubles potential doesn't really matter, since I don't think many people play doubles competitively, aside from VCG.

Doubles really isn't all that popular? I see a lot of strategy involved in it. Eh, sucks--seems like loads of fun. It also sucks because that was the focus of my entire team. ._. So! By throwing Politoed into the loop (and also now knowing planning for doubles is mute), the strategy for my entire team has changed. The whole team now revolves around Politoed and his Drizzle. I made so many changes, that, eventually, some of the original members didn't quite fit in with the game plan. Scrafty (my favorite pokemanz!) has been replaced with Toxicroak and his Dry Skin ability, Gyarados has been replaced with Starmie as the lead offensive, and Glyscor has been replaced with Quagsire and his Unaware ability, who I plan to use as a (boosted) bulky counter to Pokemon such as Cloyster, who rely heavily on their stat modifications.

Ferrothorn, Ludicolo, and Politoed are all still here. I went with the suggested revisions on Ferrothorn, only balancing out the two defenses so they're both at 330 even. Since I've decided on keeping both Politoed and Lucidolo, also tell me what you think of how I arranged the latter, whose defenses are also evened out, being 238 each. As my primary SubSeeder (Ferrothorn being my secondary, just because I'm very fond of that strategy--thoughts?), I really didn't place much emphasis on his Sp. Attack, but with reluctant SubSeedDraining I think he'll do well. I also couldn't handle the Choice Specs on Politoed, so I gave the Choice item (scarf) to Starmie instead, who I already plan on switching back and forth frequently due to its ability. :) Thanks for the help, guys!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Even though Ferrothorn is using SubSeed, it isn't the best user of it. Since this is a Rain team you're using, I'd let it have Power Whip instead so it can smack around other bulky Waters, since Ferrothorn can check/counter almost every Water Pokemon in the game that way.

I'd also use Trick over Confuse Ray on Starmie, since confusion may not work in your favor at times, and it screws over walls by forcing them to use 1 move while they're in battle.

Also, use Giga Drain over Surf on Ludicolo, since you already have Scald.

This Toxicroak may be better, since Vacuum Wave doesn't benefit from Bulk Up:
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch
-Substitute
EVs: 244 HP/252 Atk/12 Def
Item: Leftovers/Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin

Quagsire really needs Recover so it can either keep setting up or attack.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Well if you're using Toxicroak in a rain team then you should really try out the SubPunch set.

Toxicroak @Life Orb
Dry Skin
Adamant
244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Substitute / Focus Punch / Sucker Punch / Ice Punch

If used correctly, this Pokemon can wreak havoc to an opponent. Just remember to keep a sub up at all times, since it'll help you. And with a sub up, you won't have to worry about speed issues. And always have rain on. If you know your opponent has their own weather starter, then be sure to take that Pokemon out first.

Years
  • Seen Sep 13, 2011
Black Sludge is a great idea; I should have thought of that earlier. Same thing with Sucker Punch--don't know why I never thought of using it. I was probably prioritizing STAB possibilities. Anyway, all of the suggested changes have been added. :) With giving Ferrothorn Power Whip instead, should I change his EVs at all? Also, lately I've been having trouble with entry hazards, and I've been suggested to just replace Ferrothorn with Forretress, who is basically the same but with Rapid Spin. Either or are fine with me (I need the bulky Steel type as defense against Draco Meteor and the like), and both will benefit from Drizzle since their 4x weakness of Fire is reduced to 2x. Thoughts on that?

Back