• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sand teams: how do you deal?

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
Simple, but interesting topic.
How do you deal with teams that abuse the sand?
are they hard to beat, or are they a walk in the park for you?
do you play sand teams?
what are the best checks & counters?

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
All you really need against most SS teams is a defense wall, some special-based Ice and/or Water-type moves, and some Fighting-type moves.

Good counters:
Skarmony
Gliscor
Ferrothorn
Heatran with Balloon (not the best, but not bad + covers Sunny Day teams)

this is all just imo.

Years
Skarmory is a very good counter to Sandstorm teams since he gets both Ground-type and sandstorm damage immunities. Also, most Water, Ice, Fighting, Fire and Grass attacks since most Sandstorm users are Rock, Ground or Steel-type.

Other weather teams are also handy for shutting off the sandstorm and then countering the team.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I play a Rain team. When I'm up against a Sand team, I try to keep Politoed alive as long as I can, bringing it in only on occasion. I also try to get Garchomp in to KO Tyranitar (or Rotom-W or Starmie for Hippowdon) before safely bringing in Politoed for the weather dominance.

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
I agree that maintaining weather dominance is crucial when in a weather war. In these times status conditions and entry hazards can really take a toll on the Sand Stream, Drizzle, or Drought pokemon. So, having access to a rapid spinner can be very helpful in a lot of cases.

Also having a plan-B in the event your weather user gets KO'ed is well worth it.
Poison Heal Gliscor can be very annoying as can Gastrodon, a pokemon that works well on multiple weather teams ( rain & sand).

Also, is it just me or do Drought teams not see that much play?

Charzar

Fire Dragon
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2023
I start with a drizzle pokemon, but Tyranitar/Hippowdown has lower speed so they win the weather war. But i still have a type advantage...
You see, my lead is a Poliwhirl with Focus Blast that can take his Tyranitar because it's rock type.
Anyways, just study the meta-game, and aim for its weakness.
I have found a weakness that helps my team, and helps defeating my opponents :)

Stormborn

Indecisive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
How you deal with everything in BW2.

Throw more weather at it.

Back