• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is my HP gimmick team good?

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
Melinoe (Drifblim) (F) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Recycle
- Thunderbolt

Aveta (Alomomola) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 236 HP / 236 Def / 36 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Aqua Jet

Kali (Mandibuzz) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 156 HP / 236 Def / 116 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Bulkari (Hariyama) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 104 Def / 96 SDef
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Substitute
- Protect

Panacea (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Counter
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 236 HP / 156 Def / 116 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Surf

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
It's way too gimmicky if you ask me. xP

On topic (and this looks like an NU/RU/UU team to me):

The lack of STAB hurts on Drifblim. While Recycle is good for re-using berries, it uses up a turn to get the item back. It's better off with ChestoRest + Calm Mind:
-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power (Fighting)/Thunderbolt/Substitute
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Def/108 SAtk/148 Spe
Item: Chesto Berry
Ability: Unburden

Alomomola and Vaporeon are already 2 Water-type Wish Pokemon. Vaporeon is OU, so you're going to need a Ground Pokemon to take care of your Electric weakness, like Nidoqueen or Steelix:

Nidoqueen:
-Toxic Spikes
-Earth Power
-Flamethrower/Ice Beam
-Dragon Tail/Roar
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sheer Force

Steelix:
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Gyro Ball
-Dragon Tail/Roar/Toxic
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/96 Def/160 SDef
Ability: Sturdy

Change Mandibuzz's EV spread to 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef; your current EV spread doesn't utilize its good bulk well.

Bullet Punch on Hariyama is very weak because it lacks STAB and has naturally low base power. You'll have to make do with Machamp, who can hit harder than it can:
-DynamicPunch
-Stone Edge
-ThunderPunch/Toxic
-Substitute
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 212 HP/252 Atk/44 Spe
Ability: No Guard

Since Blissey is on OU as well, you can use Ursaring to act as a status orb abuser:
-Facade
-Close Combat
-Crunch
-Swords Dance/Protect
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb/Flame Orb
Ability: Quick Feet/Guts (don't use former with Flame Orb)

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
I will try the set you suggested for Drifblim. It looks good although I like my combination of Chesto,Rest and Recycle. My Drifblim is so tough and bulky with that. Anyway, I will do those EVs for Mandibuzz as well.

As for the others, buddy, I can't use them as their HP isn't high enough. My team is supposed to be gimmicky. Yeah it is too gimmicky. But whatever, that's the way it should be. A high HP team. And it is for OU :p I now have Blissey,Drifblim,Alomomola,Mandibuzz but I replaced Hariyama with Snorlax( Yama is very bulky but Snorlax is even bulkier) and I replaced Vaporeon with Wobbufet. Wobbufet is a beast, and I realised that Vaporeon should be changed as I already had an Alomomola from the beginning.

Anyway good news are, yesterday I battled a recruiter of the MNG clan in Pokemon Online Simulator with my first team and we went to around 160 turns. He flattered my team and my tactics and he got me in the clan :D
Drifblim absorbed many statuses with his rest and recycle and Blissey as well.She would also heal bell my team's statuses away. Alomomola was there for the physical hits and to keep my team healthy with Wish. Blissey for the special hits. Mandibuzz took good care of everything especially his Celebi. Knock Off and Whirlwind were awesome. I even knocked his Chansey's Eviolite off. Hariyama died very early(that's why I decided to change him) and Wobbufet was my tramp card. His Politoed used Perish Song then I switched in Wobbufet without him expecting it and his Politoed was soon down. It was a suicide haha! Wobbufet also used Safefuard to keep my team protected from status. Anyway, my Pokemon are very good and I know how to play them well so I got the place in the clan! :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
So, I altered my team a bit. I also added in Amoonguss. Please tell me, is it good? Tell me which Pokemon should I keep and which to change? Have in mind that only Pokemon with at least 420 HP are getting in the team. No less.

- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Recycle
- Thunderbolt

- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Aqua Jet

EVs: 236 HP / 120 Def / 152 SDef
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Giggly (Amoonguss) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 116 Def / 4 SAtk / 144 SDef
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

EVs: 116 HP / 252 Def / 140 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Counter
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss

Karma (Wobbuffet) (F) @ Shell Bell
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 236 HP / 140 Def / 132 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond
- Safeguard

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Like I said for Driblim, Recycle is too gimmicky. Use the set I suggested earlier. It's more effective that way.

Regenerator isn't available for Amoonguss yet. D: It still has to make do with Effect Spore. Change Amoonguss' set to this:
-Spore
-Stun Spore
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power (Fire) (for Steels; Sludge Bomb doesn't cut it)
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/216 SDef

Make Mandibuzz's EV spread 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef to max out its Special bulk.

Counter is too gimmicky on Blissey because its Defense is lower than Eviolite-boosted Chansey's. Standard support set should be:
-Aromatherapy/Stealth Rock
-Seismic Toss
-Softboiled
-Thunder Wave/Toxic
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Ability: Natural Cure

If you're using a bulky spread on Wobbuffet, change the EV spread to 28 HP/252 Def/228 SDef. Wobbuffet's defenses are lower than its HP, so investing a large amount of EVs into its defenses is a priority. Wobbuffet isn't fast enough to use Destiny Bond; use Encore over it so that Wobbuffet can counter the appropriate move or switch out safely.

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
Okay to put things in order I will number my questions.

1. Why is it bad to have gimmicky(original) movesets? I mean my team is a gimmick itself as it is not even proper stall. It's just a team full of Pokemon with high HP. So what's bad about gimmicky movesets? Do you know how many times this moveset has been my salvation because my Drifblim could recover itself all day long? I mean, you firstly use WoW and then thunderbolt or you switch. But when you keep your Drifblim in, you attack and when your Drifblim's health goes down the road you use Rest. And then Recycle so as to be able to recover repeatedly. Rest and Recycle. Rinse and repeat.
Besides, I continuously switch my Pokemon. So why should I put CM when I will switch? I have tried numerous of movesets on Drifblim before but this one really worked for me.

2. Regenerator is available. I am playing competitive battling in Pokemon Online Battle Simulator and I can use. It is allowed. Just not in WiFi.
Also, why use Stun Spore? I mean, Giga Drain isn't even a reliable recovery move. With Synthesis my Amoonguss can survive longer. I mean, he wouldn't be a good tank/annoyer/wall (whatever) if he didn't have Synthesis. If the weather isn't with us, I will use Giga Drain, but it is only a secondary means of recovery. I use it because this way my mushroom can both damage and recover. Why use Energy Ball when their BP difference is minimal(Giga Drain 75, Energy Ball 80) and Giga Drain gives health as well?
Anyway, I will use Hidden Power Fire. It'll be better. And I won't change the EVs. Just give me a reason. With my EVs, it is kinda a 'tank' with both defenses being very acceptable and a tremendous HP.

My Blissey is my Sp.Wall. Why should I make him specially defensive as well? He is better as a tank.

And another thing. Why invest 252 EVs in HP to make it a max 432 and not give 244 EVs in HP so as to be 430 and give the remaining 8 EVs in Def? It is proved that Def is more important than HP so better defense is recommended.

3. Why make Mandibuzz a Sp.Wall again? Blissey is one and it's enough. Mandibuzz is again more of a tank and can take physical and special hits very well. Though, I am thinking of turning him into a physical wall.

4. Okay I may try out Thunderwave. But once again why is it bad to use a 'gimmicky' Counter. It has humongous HP and its Def with max EVs is,well, better than without EVs xD But in case you didn't know with max defense Evs she can take hits as a Max HP Spritiomb and Scizor. So I think Counter is quite good. And no, I don't really like Chansey for a several reasons. Counter has in fact done its job so many times. I mean, who guesses that Blissey will have Counter? A Sandlash used Earthquake once,Blissey took it like a boss and she killed it. A Gliscor also used Earthquake another time and it got KO'ed as well etc etc

5. Alright, about that, I will use Encore on Wobbuffet. Oh dear, thank you very much I really forgot about it completely. My Wobbuffet will be a beast now. And as for the EVs. Yes, the only way to use Wobbo is by making it bulky. That's its job.To take hits. I don't think it's a good idea to make it that way. Maxing its defenses means that it will take less damage thus less HP lost thus Counter and Mirror Coat won't guarantee a KO. Bigger HP and lower defenses(yet still very good) mean more damage done thus more HP lost thus Counter and Mirror Coat resulting in KO. And you can then heal Wobbo with a Wish.

That's all. Thanks for the help! It is truly appreciated and your advice is very useful.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
So, I altered my team a bit. I also added in Amoonguss. Please tell me, is it good? Tell me which Pokemon should I keep and which to change? Have in mind that only Pokemon with at least 420 HP are getting in the team. No less.

- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Recycle
- Thunderbolt

With a single damaging move, Drifbloom WILL BE useless against Gliscor (or Gligar if you're going to be in UU). Gligar can be equipped with Toxic that can wear down Drifbloom. You may have Rest, but Gligar has Taunt.

- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Aqua Jet

Alomomola is the best Wish passer in its tier so I think you should stick with it. However, IT IS NOT going to survive most Special Attacks aimed at it with its very poor Sp.Def. I suggest max its bulkiness on the defensive side and its HP with 252 HP / 252 Def spread.

EVs: 236 HP / 120 Def / 152 SDef
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Not that familiar with Mandibuzz, but I do know it is bulky. It can function as a pseudo-hazer and you should also consider Entry-Hazards support from other Pokemon. Whirlwind takes good care of wearing down the opposing Pokemons.

Giggly (Amoonguss) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 116 Def / 4 SAtk / 144 SDef
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

I think DW Amoongus has not been released yet. So I think you should switch this out with something else.

EVs: 116 HP / 252 Def / 140 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Counter
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss

Forget Counter on Blissey, it will die with almost all Attacks in the tier it resides in. Get something more useful like T-Wave or Toxic.

Karma (Wobbuffet) (F) @ Shell Bell
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 236 HP / 140 Def / 132 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond
- Safeguard

Encore over Destiny Bond. Wobuffet is extremely bulky, you should just invest on its Def and Sp.Def instead of HP to resist most attacks and get back with Counter or Mirror Coat

Comments in Bold and Italics.

I suggest you decide which tier you are going to play on.

To answer question 1: Drifblim will not automatically wake up after using Rest. Gliscor switches in, kills it with Ice Fang.

Question 2: Because non-DW Tentacruel can wall it all day and can counter with Ice Beam. With your Amoonguss having DW ability, it is a bit clear to me that you want to play with DW OU.

Question 3: I suggest you try out which goes best with Mandibuzz, Physically Defensive or Specially Defensive. You may never know if it will be struck with Ice Beam or Stone Edge.

Question 4: Blissey cannot handle SubToxic Gliscor. Substitute, Toxic, EQ. Blissey cannot use Counter to kill it. It may also carry Ice Beam just in case. Heal Bell isn't really going to work well so just replace it with Ice Beam.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
First of all, yes, I am currently battling in DW OU and I honestly have to say that I have been battling in here with this team for about a week and it seems to be doing great. I almost always win. The winning to losing ratio is like 10:2 .So it's very successful.

DW Amoonguss has been released, at least in the Battle Simulator I am playing. So I will leave him with no changes.

Blissey doesn't die after any physical attacks. It usually is a 2HKO, and this only if the attack has a high BP like 90+ and is accompanied by STAB while used by a strong attacker with at least 110 Base Att. Fighting moves are of course excluded with some exceptions like Low Kick or Mach Punch from Hitmonchan.
I did a whole lot of calculations in Smogon Damage Calculator and I know that Blissey can take most physical hits. If you want to know more tell me to post the list of moves Blissey endures.
So, when I know that a Pokemon will use a physical attack, I use Counter which is always successful unless it's a Fighting Pokemon, his Att is boosted [either from an Ability(e.g. Sand Force) or a move(e.g. Swords Dance)] or he holds Choice Band. In that case I just switch to Alomomola which is a beast physically(She took a Dragon Claw from a 6+ Dragonite and only lost half her HP). I once KOed a Gliscor with Earthquake, so as just to see it is good.

Why should I max both Wobbuffet's defenses and not his HP? Yes, he is already very bulky but Wobbuffet isn't meant to be a wall. He is just there so as to trap a Pokemon, use Encore to force it to attack and then kill it either with Counter or Mirror Coat. It can't be a wall anyway as the lack of instant recovery hinders its bulk. So maxing its defenses while not touching at all its HP will result in less HP lost by each attack thus less damage to the attacking Pokemon by Counter :/

And Drifblim will automatically wake up as he holds a Chesto Berry.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Read this. Wobbuffet's second set uses max defenses with some in HP because its HP is way higher than both defenses. If it maxes out HP, then Wobbuffet will take more damage than it would if its defenses were EVed first.

And for your question about Mandibuzz: 248 HP is used because 252 HP EVs makes its HP divisble by 4, which means it will die if it switches in while Stealth Rock is in play 4 times, assuming it never took any prior damage.

CalmMind + ChestoRest is one of Drifblim's most effective sets. The general strategy is to Calm Mind up as much as you can (max. 6), then if you're statused or take too much damage, Rest off the damage and status. After Chesto Berry wakes up Drifblim, Unburden will double its Speed, and you're free to sweep. Oh and please use Shadow Ball because you have no STAB now whatsoever, and you'll be walled by Ground Pokemon, like Gligar/Gliscor as Musica pointed out.

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
Okay I will fix Wobbuffet's stats.

And Okay I will do what you suggested. And I will try Drifblim's CM set. But.. If I lose. I am going to haunt your dreams >:l

Back