• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Holiday Map-Off [NYE THREAD]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years

[alink id=intro]Introduction[/alink id] | [alink id=rule]Rules[/alink id] | [alink id=format]Posting Format[/alink id] | [alink id=final]Final Notes[/alink id]
holmap0ffdeccol.png

[a id]intro[/a id]Welcome to the Holiday Game Map-Off Event! Are you a ROM hacker? Or maybe a game developer? Or do you just like creating Pokemon maps on your tool/program? Well then you should participate in this event, where you can create maps and submit them in this contest for the judges to see your maps. Every participant of this event, whether they won or not in the map-off, will receive a Participant Emblem. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners of the map-off will receive an additional emblem for winning in this event.

The theme for this map-off? Since it's a
New Years Extravaganza, the theme of this map-off is to create a map that fits in with what you think should represent the New Years! It could be a Winter-Wonder Land map, or a New Years Festival map. What ever your imagination desires.~

When mapping, think of the criteria that's being judged. The three categories of criteria for the judging are: Originality/Creativity ; Overall Appearance ; Playability.

Suggested programs
: Advance Map or RPG Maker XP. But you are free to use any other program that you have in mind you want to use. Note: Adding extra stuff to the map such as overworlds and special effects (with a graphic program) are prohibited.

[a id]rule[/a id]Rules
→ You must give credit for anything you use, when due. Ex; Programs/tools or tiles.
→ You are not allowed to steal someone's else map.
→ Don't ask someone else to make you a map, this has to be done by you.
→ Please use the format below to submit your map.

[a id]format[/a id]Posting Format
As said above, you must use this format to submit your map. You must include the map title, credits, a short description of the map, and, of course, the map itself in spoiler tags, no matter how small or large it is. Example:

Map Title: [Title]
Description: [Description]
Credits: [Credits]
Mapshot: [Within spoiler tags]
Spoiler:

[a id]final[/a id]Final Notes
The event will be held from December 29th to January 1st. The judging process will be during the event. Results will be posted in this post on January 2nd, the last day of the whole New Year's Extravaganza. Emblems will be given to the participants/winners soon after the entire get-together is done. Below are the awards being given to the participants/winners. Also below is some resources that you may want to use for your maps, such as ROM bases and tiles. (These resources are up to you to use; they are not required.) If you have any questions concerning this event, feel free to ask either me or Regeneration.
Awards:
emb1st.png
emb2nd.png
emb3rd.png
embpart.png

Winners: 1st Place - Ninja Caterpie. 2nd Place - Cilerba/Spherical Ice. 3rd Place - Binary.
Resources:

Remember that it is not required to use these resources.

1. Frozen ROM Base (Firered only)

By: Neti, dshayabusa, Fangking Omega
You may possibly use the Frozen ROM Base if you require winter tiles for mapping. This will work only with a Pokemon Firered ROM, and is an IPS patch.

2. Snow-Based Tiles
By: Wesley FG, Crito (Zein)
If needed, you can use some snow-based tiles by Wesley FG to complete your maps for the event.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Map Title: N/A
Credits: Neti, Thrace (dshay is an old name ._.) and Fangking Omega.
Description: I just made a small wintery town thing (totally not an Australian New Years haha). It's not particularly new-yearsian but eh. I have to say, Neti's ROM base is filled with flaws and weird things. Had to do a lot of tweaking to get the tiles right (like tree shading)
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Notes:
bottom cave leads to top cave, with an ice puzzle and some items within.
the ice puzzle in the map isn't particularly "puzzling", but it needn't be. When it's the main method of moving around the town, making it a real puzzle is more annoying than cool. :x

Last edited:

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 7, 2024
Here's my entry! :D

Map Title: Route 2011

Description: A strange formation of road, mountain, forest and water. Some have said that there is meaning in these formations, and that it has something to do with it's name...

Credits: The Guys who made AdvancedMap for being so awesome. I used the default FireRed tileset with several very small alterations.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments: Can anyone see it? ^^ I tried to hide it but make it obvious at the same time. I thought that the best way to make a map for 2011 was a map that actually said '2011'. Still, I wanted it to look like a proper Pokémon Route. There were originally a few Cut trees and Smash rocks, but they were taken out because of the No Overworld rule :).

Hope you guys like!

r0bert

Quitifyingly awesome.
Years
Map Title: Mt.Pure
Description: uhm...well,you get to catch a lv.80 suicune here...
Credits: Lu-Ho for A-map and alistair for the tiles
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
@Regeneration - Well if the overworlds are easy to remove I can just remove them myself from the map. Although if the author does it that would be better. :P

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
Map Title: Snow Place
Description: A very snowy place. There is snow, ice-type Pokemon, trainers (although wellies would be more appropriate), items, easy ice puzzles, snow, a cave which leads to much harder ice puzzles, trees, and idk what else...Start from the bottom left, go round the mountain (when she comes), and then through the middle part.
Credits: Wesley FG, LU-HO, GameFreak...actually did I use any Gamefreak tiles at all? Idek...
Program: (This part I felt should be added) Advance Map
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Zadow

Pokemon Ebony Developer
Years
Map Title: Icepeak City (I'm not one for making up names...)
Description: This lovely litty City located in the North/West part of the Kansai region, only accesable through mountain hiking and cave exploration.
Here you will find many ice type Pokemon and people very snug is warm clothing, since it so frequently snows.
The gym leader resides in a chilling cave to the south of the map, where you must solve puzzles to reach her, after you defeat her you will be greatly rewarded if you travel deeper in the icy caverns.
Credits: Dewitty, Alucus, Calis projects, Me for 90% of the snow edited tiles, and various other who may be a part of this map I've listed here (Since it's quite long) : http://zadow.deviantart.com/journal/34250590/
Mapshot:

Spoiler:

Map was made in RMXP.
Goodluck to everyone entering and I hope you enjoy my map. :)

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Map Title: Road of Hopes and Dreams

Description: This thing is abstract. Just to tell you this first.

With a new year, comes hopes and dreams... and I'm sure everyone would like to chase it.

Well... it all begins in the bottom-left corner. It's deeply forested with lots and lots of grass. Right?

There's a resthouse in the beginning of the route. Just when you need the energy to get started for the new year!

Well, when you go further and further, you'll actually start to see the actual scenery behind the mini-forest. First, you can see the small pond. Across the pond is a city, symbolising hopes and dreams. And any Trainer with his or her worth will want to get in there, to chase their hopes and dreams - that's where the map's name came from. Moving further, you can get a close look at the cliffs and you can also literally smell the flowers. Sooner or later, you'll get off the tall grass, and begin walking on an actual road. Then you'll be walking on concrete. It's not far from the city from here on.

This map uses a S-shaped layout to get away with a small grid count while still being somewhat long. After a Trainer gets Surf, they can enjoy a shortcut through the small pond.

There is a Secret Base tree on a very small "island" in the middle of the small pond. Again, it is only accesible with Surf. The other Secret Base tree is worse than the pond-island one because of.. limited space.

There is a Berry plot somewhere. Grow your Berries - grow your hopes and dreams. That's what I can say.

(By the way, can you find "2011" in the map?)

Credits: I used AdvanceMap 1.92 and Emerald default tilesets. No alterations made to the default tilesets.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Map Title: Novus Town

Description: A small town where the new year festival is getting ready to heat up! There is a party area up in the north-east of the town where the bulk of the celebrations will take place, while the two beaches provide some refuge from all the partying. There is a dock in the south which will ferry customers for midnight cruises when it gets close to the hour.

I live in Australia, so it is always Summer when the new year rolls around - That is why I have chosen a beach party location in favour of a winter wonderland.

Credits: Alucus, Alistair, Kyledove, PrinceLegendario, Trifindo, Light-PA, Kizemaru-Kurunosuke and Lu-Ho (Advance Map)
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

A Magical Girl

Let us catch our Dream
Years
Map Title: Frigido Town
Description: A town I made for this competition. My first map. ^_^
Credits: Neti, Lu-Ho for A-map
Mapshot: In the attachment. I have less than fifteen posts so I can't link them.

Years
Map Title: Carol Road
Description: A moutainous route with trees and long grass, this crossroad of sorts leads to two towns and another route. Carol Cave is found here, along with a bridge leading to another route. Wild Pokémon found here are generally around level twenty to thirty.
Credits: Lu-Ho, Game Freak
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

It fits the theme of New Year as it leads to many directions - different ways you may change your life in the New Year (through resolutions, etc.). I know it's a vague fit to the New Year, but oh well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back