• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In depth Advance Map tutorial

Scribbles

"The Suh Spence"
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2013
Thank-you this taught me how to work warps :)
But I am unsure on how to open scripts and edit them, when I click Open Script it says No Script Editor Found. What is this program that I need.

J-pop princess

Novice rom hacker
Years
Thank you so so SO much! This really helped me out and I made sure to copy it down as not to forget all of it!

I can't wait to try out some of this and make my first (working) custom map.

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2013
Why is it everyone avoid the one question: How do we change map names without it interfering / changing other existing map names?

This.... I only made an account to ask this question...
What I plan to do is editing a fire red rom and create the whole Johto map. Then edit the storyline to make it similar to gold/silver and make Johto pokemon appear only in Johto map and Kanto pokemon in Kanto map.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Thanks for the handy tutorial!
I had a question to burden on you. Whenever I make a map I use the dimensions that are recommended or commonly used. And Whenever I am testing lets say I used 13x10 those tiles are being displayed fine but all around boarding the entire image there are these blue, greenish water-like tiles. Almost like a glitch or its messed up.

Any ideas?

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2013
hello...

can you help me ..?
when i make a new map
why to be like this.. ?
uq4i.png

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
i cant get the required tiles to create my map like the exit of a cave tile is missing from the blocks HELP!

Years
You can make your own tiles by clicking on block editor and selecting a blank space from the bank on the left. From here you can choose the pieces in the middle bank and give them the values that you want. I found this worthwhile because I could add small bits into my game which had the same palette as the other pieces and looked like they are part of the map rather than just add ons. I made stairs which face backwards for firered out of this, which some people would know only have forward facing staris.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 7, 2018
I'm currently getting a pretty severe bug in Littleroot which (as far as I can tell) your guide does not cover:

{I would include pictures but 15 post rule lol)
A gap in the lower layer of trees allows movement downwards. Going down activates the person event where the girl stops you from going out, and you get forced into an identical map below. Once you've saved the Prof and you go downwards and then back up, you enter a glitched version of Route 101. Why is this happening and how can I fix this?

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2016
I've been playing around in Advance Map and XSE trying to hack and I have a lot of questions because things don't seem to be working right. I'm hacking Fire Red.

1) I have a grasp of Warps, and have gotten most of them to work correctly on the town I'm making. However, I have an issue with one of the warps coming out of one of the houses. In Advance map when I click 'follow' to follow the warp out to the town, it works just fine, and when I click follow to go back into the house, it works fine. I've double and triple checked and the map bank/warp numbers all match up. When I go into the game to test it however, and I walk out of the house, it takes me to some strange room that looks like a battle room and there's a lady waiting in there. If you stick around it tries to pair you with a big black square instead of a pokemon and gives you a big black square for your pokemon. If you walk out of this room it takes you back to the house. What's gone wrong?

2) How do I set the starting house that the player will appear in when you first start the game, and can I set it to appear somewhere on the town map instead of inside a house? How do I do this?

3) I'm having trouble with people events I add to the map. I add a little girl sprite up at the top of the map somewhere and script her, set the movement to 0. When I go into the game, she's not where I put her, she's down somewhere near the bottom of the map. Doesn't seem to matter where I move her to, she's determined to appear at the same spot towards the bottom of the map. Secondly, when I talk to her, she says the script I put into XSE but says it all jumbled together. For instance if I write a line that says: "What are you looking at me like that for?" and then the next line is: "Are you going to steal from me?"
It comes out like this: "What are you looking at me like are you going to steal?" And then it will bring up the next line and say: "going to steal like that for?"
I double and triple check this in XSE and it appears to have rearranged itself after I script it. It's frustrating.

3) I had put another person event into place, scripted him, and when I went to talk to him in game the entire screen went black. I could still hear the music, but there was no way to get out of the black screen except to restart. Does anyone know why this happened?

I'm a total noob, and apologies in advance for all the questions. As a side note, I tried using two other scripting programs first before using XSE because the other ones looked easier to use. I tried using Advance Text but when I went to load the ROM and clicked on the hacked ROM it opened up like the base ROM not the one I'd hacked and changed the village name and appearance. I tried several times and even downloaded a different version of Advance Text and nada. Couldn't get it to load. Anyone know how to fix that?

Thanks!

masterxy

Pokémon Breeder
Years
I was going to try out this tutorial when I found out advance map seems to simply have vanished from the internet. all the doenload links are invalid and using google doesn't lead to anything useful either.. Is there a similar program or a new homepage for am that I just didnt notice?

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2015
How to change the starting point of the game. I mean how can we make the player start the game from another location.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
How to change the starting point of the game. I mean how can we make the player start the game from another location.

You need the tool called "Starter map chooser advance."
You should find it on the toolbox section, oh also, if you are hacking R/S/E.
I recommend you use the truck remover, it also features almost the same.
But obviously, it removes the truck and only for R/S/E. Good luck there!

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2014
Somehow, I made it so that I can't run in Littleroot Town (Pokemon Emerald hack), any ideas on how I can change it back?

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2015
How can you make a new map, newly that not affect other map's name ?

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Sorry if this has already been asked, but how can I use tiles from one map to edit another map?

I have a retro-look rombase that I want to use, but the new tiles are only on one or two maps. (Neti's rombase called Past)

Version-wise, I have 1.92 and 1.95 of Advance Map. I prefer 1.95, which I understand has bugs, as its map links are in English. (My copy of 1.92 map links are in German)

(In case you are wondering, I mean the links to select specific maps - second option from the start - when I say map links)

Last edited:

VerdeWare

...death is only the beginning
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2020
love this tutorial, can you get more in depth about tile editing

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2013
Does this make sense? Some of my warps don't seem to work. An example: You know the hole you use for caves that you walk into enter the cave? Well, I can't come back out. The "Goto" works perfectly on Advanced Map, but when I walk on the warp, it doesn't work. Anyone know what's going on or has had similar problems?
same :/
I have this issue when I make a cave, can't exit it.

Back