• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the hardest ROM hack that you ever played?

The Lord of Smug
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Pokemon Team Rocket Edition, hands down.

The first gym has a lv 36 pokemon.

marcc5m

what
Years
None. X3 I use cheat codes. Not because I want to cheat, I just want to play through the whole game because I like storyline.

This. When I'm at a really hard part of the game and want to find out what happens next, I Rare Candy my Pokémon up a few levels, just until they're about three levels higher than the Pokémon other Trainers are using.

Anyway, hardest one I played was Crystal Enchanced.
I was nuzlocking it and my Starter fainted in my first wild battle.

Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2021
I've played most games and Fire red omega was hard for me. Since, i rarely use any cheats and master balls to keep the game adventurous, i found it hard.

RD was real fun to play but, never found it that hard. Whenever a creepy high level pokemon had to be battled, i used odish. It had sleep powder, poison sting, leech seed and stunt spore.

Regarding light platinum and flora sky, they were fun and hard at times. I was struck not knowing how to blast ice rocks in the lauren region. :D

Serial ATA

Newcomer
Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2017
I haven't played too many hacks,.
Ditto, as the only ROM hacks I'm familiar with are the Touhou Puppet Play series (or Touhoumon). And even so, I've only played a few of these hacks, with the hardest so far being Touhoumon Extra.

And I feel like today's Pokemon games are designed to be more beginner-friendly with each generation, which is kind of a letdown for me (being an old-school gamer who used to grind all the way and never bothered to save-reset).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2013
I really can't think of any hack that I played that was really tough for me to handle. I managed to pass all of the challenges, so.

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2012
The hardest is pkmn RD-LoG. At first, I though the game would be easy but I got owned by the first gym leader lol

Last edited:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I've only played one pokemon hack so far, and it's Pokemon Snakewood. Facing the Eye-Eyes as well as the over-levelled pokemon makes the hack very difficult.

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2016
Pokemon Manly Pink is pretty hard, especially since I'm Nuzlocking it. :V My Pokemon are all somewhere in the forties and I'm at gym 4. :/

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Touhoumon: Another World, hands down.

This and TH-mon Insane. While AW just was really, really hard, Insane is what you call insane. It's a hack of Firered and I'll guess almost everyone will retire while playing through this hack, will begin to cheat or get a walkthrough...

RetroRoller

Trailer Trash
Years
RoL was actually pretty hard, considering the gym leaders and legendaries were pretty tough... and not to mention annoying...

This, I never finished RoL but I couldn't agree with you more.

Stupidity_101

Sorry, wasn't listening.
Years
  • Ni
  • Seen Jan 24, 2020
It couldn't be any harder than PitchBlack or PureWhite. You can't even beat Cilan, it's so hard.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
i think RoL is easier compared to LoG, LoG got pretty crazy near the end (like crazy fakemon with total stats higher than Arceus wtf) while RoL is okay as long as u have a decent team to deal with all the battles and legends.

For B/W its def PitchBlack/PureWhite.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Really? I don't remember RD:RoL to be very hard. I had a pretty easy time Nuzlocking it. Although now that I think about it, I DID farm for a lucky egg. Having a Lugia for half the game kind of kills the difficulty, though.

Otherwise, I'd have to go with either Bloody Platinum or Manly Pink. The former is just made to be absurdly difficult, but then the champion has a team made of ubers and you want to be sad. Manly Pink, on the other hand, just has horrible balancing issues. Also, the level "curve" would be more accurately described as a level "cliff".

Years
  • Age 24
  • =/
  • Seen Feb 12, 2013
Pokemon Johto Adventure - Rebirth is the hardest Rom Hack that I ever played. That's all.

Back