• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
Tracing the string is probably not the best way to go, as your goal is simply to rewire an ability/weather check. It'd be much simpler to look for reads of either the active weather byte or a pokemon's ability during rain. These threads might be helpful:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117917 - this is a pretty good primer on ASM editing, and the one that got me started
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=215644 - this has a bunch of RAM offsets documented that are extremely relevant to battle-related hacking

What I'd do is put a breakpoint on an active pokemon's ability, get in a battle in rain, then examine all the places it gets checked at the end of a turn and figure out which one is for comparing it with Rain Dish's ID (which you can figure out using the offsets in the second link). Alternatively, get a pokemon with Rain Dish and check out all the weather reads at the end of the turn to see where it gets compared to rain. Once you know *where* the checking is happening, it should just be a matter of experimenting with thumb to make the check accept hail+ice body as well as rain+rain dish (try replacing rain dish before expanding it to be a separate ability, it'll be much simpler and help you learn).

For reasons that have been explained elsewhere in the last couple of pages, I won't explain to you exactly how to do it- you'll need to figure out the finer steps yourself. Don't be afraid to break things- if something isn't working, try a different approach, and don't get discouraged when things don't work the first time.

That all looks amazingly helpful, thanks! This might be a dumb question, but how do you put a breakpoint on something? I've seen people say to do that, but never how.

Also, something for after I get this figured out: how difficult would it be to add new abilities (as opposed to editing existing ones)? Would it be something doable with beginner knowledge, or would that be something more advanced?

Years
  • MI
  • Seen Jun 29, 2014
HELP! (Firered)

I started to make my own hack, so I created some maps and inserted them into the game (in a new bank). I then made the starting house warp into one of my created maps. When I play it on the emulator though, I'm stuck in one spot when I warp to my created map and a bunch of symbols appear on screen (in text). I think this problem has something to do with my Map Connections, because I had no problem with this before I started adding connections to my map. Does anyone have any ideas (or the same problem)?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Don't use advance map 1.95. Second, it may be the level script on the map. Third, make sure the warps are connected correctly.

Years
  • MI
  • Seen Jun 29, 2014
Don't use advance map 1.95. Second, it may be the level script on the map. Third, make sure the warps are connected correctly.

Thanks! I checked the level script and saw that there were random things there so I deleted them. Now it doesn't happen anymore.

Why shouldn't you use advance map 1.95?

Finally, another problem that just arose is when I enter a new area (on my own created map) I can't go back! So, in other words, Map A and Map B are two created maps that I have made. I travel from Map A to Map B (Using connections) and it works fine, but then I can't get back to Map A! An invisible force blocks my way or something...

Crocky

SuperScarlet!
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2020
Is there an easy to understand tutorial on how to change the world map in fire red BPRE?
I tried a few, but they didn't work out for me :(

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Thanks! I checked the level script and saw that there were random things there so I deleted them. Now it doesn't happen anymore.

Why shouldn't you use advance map 1.95?

Finally, another problem that just arose is when I enter a new area (on my own created map) I can't go back! So, in other words, Map A and Map B are two created maps that I have made. I travel from Map A to Map B (Using connections) and it works fine, but then I can't get back to Map A! An invisible force blocks my way or something...

LOTS and lots of bugs. It was an unfinished beta version.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Map connections need to be set up on each map. So set it up on map B as well.
Use advance map 1.92.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
That all looks amazingly helpful, thanks! This might be a dumb question, but how do you put a breakpoint on something? I've seen people say to do that, but never how.

Also, something for after I get this figured out: how difficult would it be to add new abilities (as opposed to editing existing ones)? Would it be something doable with beginner knowledge, or would that be something more advanced?
In VBA-SDL-H, the commands are bt, bpr, bpw, to break on thumb execution, read, and write respectively. IIRC you can see all the commands with h- if that doesn't work try help, ?, etc.

Adding new abilities instead of replacing them is to my knowledge just a matter of repointing the ability name and description table. Abilities are just bytes- the only reason they do things is because there are special cases to handle them.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Which one would you recommend using then? And do you know a solution to my map connections problem? Thanks in advance.

Use 1.92, and to fix map connections, just delete them all and retry. This works fairly often.

In VBA-SDL-H, the commands are bt, bpr, bpw, to break on thumb execution, read, and write respectively. IIRC you can see all the commands with h- if that doesn't work try help, ?, etc.

Adding new abilities instead of replacing them is to my knowledge just a matter of repointing the ability name and description table. Abilities are just bytes- the only reason they do things is because there are special cases to handle them.

Isn't the whole game just bytes?XD

Last edited:

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Does anyone know in XSE with buffernumber 0x(number) LAST_RESULT how many different buffers can be stored in 1 script?

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
Ok.
FOR FIRE RED.
1. Where is Located ASM pointer of CRIES and DEX ENTRIES.

For Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
2. Where is located World Map routine?

Ok.
FOR FIRE RED.

Last edited:

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Ok.
FOR FIRE RED.

1. Don't know, I don't hack FireRed :(

2. I'm not sure what you mean, but if you want to change the map, then here are some examples.

Yellow is the most recent and up to date. Somewhere in the comments, someone explained how to edit the Pokédex world map.
Green has a couple attachments that you may find helpful.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
I did do that. Still doesn't work for whatever reason =/

Hmm...Is your offset something other than 0? Then the number has to be positive on one map and negative on the other. So for example if your offset on your first map is 2, then it has to be -2 on the other. Also, make sure there's only one connection for each direction.

uliekztrollface?

U MAD BRO?
Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2013
Hi again-What is the easiest way to edit existing scripts (like dialogue scripts) aside from Advance Text (The PC is shared so despite not being a virus it may get picked up as one, causing alarm to others). Can PKSV do it? Thanks.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Hi again-What is the easiest way to edit existing scripts (like dialogue scripts) aside from Advance Text (The PC is shared so despite not being a virus it may get picked up as one, causing alarm to others). Can PKSV do it? Thanks.

Any script editor can do it. I'll explain how:

Spoiler:

uliekztrollface?

U MAD BRO?
Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2013
Thanks, but the flags and stuff are part of the Elite Four's scripts aren't they(I was hoping to change an E4 dialogue but I don't know how to set the correct flags to make them rematchable). Changing the script offset would mean no rematches unless I set the flag (which I can't really do because of my lacking experience)
I'd also have to put in the battle start script wouldn't I...
Btw I'm hacking Ruby

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back