• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Thieves of the Night] Dark-Type Club ☻

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psystar63

☆ || [The Wandering Star] || ☆
Years
Right I forget how long it takes Deino to evolve. That would be a pain once you get to the final gym. I guess Sandile would work best.

wow I'm bad at responding to my own club.

:P Wow, I've only just realised that Sandile and Deino are the only Dark-type Pokemon that evolve twice like starters do.

Anyway, I also like Poochyena as a starter. In R/S/E it comes pretty close to being a starter, as you can get it really early in the game. It gains EXP meduim fast, and evolves into Mightyena at Lv 18. It can learn the Taunt-Sucker Punch combo, and Mightyena can have the ability of Intimidate. I do like having Mightyena on my team. It's just weird that Poochyena learns Crunch on Lv up, but Mightyena doesn't....

Hm... should we start a new topic soon?
I can't think of much right now.....................nope. We need something to liven things up around here! But what?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Pocchyena would make a good starter too. I've always pictured it a starter because of what you said, it's something you get in the early and relatively easy to raise.

Yeah it's rather dead here lately so a new topic is in need. I should try to get more people to sign up as well.

Ok here's a topic

If you could be any Dark-type, which would you be and why?

I'd think I'd be Umbreon or Absol. Umbreon because it's my favorite and I can stalk enemy's and be stealthy. Absol because I'd be able to sense when a disaster strikes and know how to protect myself and any human who'd own me. My senses would be ten times better than they are now and I would have anyway about being caught in the rain or a storm cause I could tell when they're coming. I've always wanted to have special senses or sometime of psychic powers. Plus they're known to handle attacks with flawless precision.

Psystar63

Years

We seem to be the only ones here at the moment....Hopefully it picks up soon......

Well, I'm not going to let this club die! It's too awesome!

Anyway, if I could be a Dark-type Pokemon, I'd be Zorua. It is just too adorable, and the ability to change my appearance would be so much fun! I could play all sorts of tricks on people. And for once in my life I'd be able to change my height so I wouldn't get picked on for being so short... :P
My other choice would be Hydreigon! Too awesome a Pokemon! Plus I'd really like the ability to fly (or levitate). Not sure about having heads where my hands are though... Maybe I'd go with Honchkrow, just because I'd be able to have an army of Murkrows do my bidding. Mwahahaha! :D

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Hmm... Well, I've gotta agree with this:
Anyway, other Dark type I would be is a Zoroark. Come On! Illusions. Who would want any?
I mean seriously, how cool would it be to have Zoroark's powers of illusions? Honestly I'd rather be a Zorua due to the huge cuteness factor as it's simply an adorable Pokémon and Zoroark... isn't... But I'd certainly love to have the Imposter ability like those two Pokémon so it'd definitely be one of them. Other than that, I'd also want to be a Mightyena for the sheer awesomeness and power that it'd bring, and I'd also like to be a Sneasel because they always look like they're having a lot of fun with their huge cheeky smiles!

Klinklang5

Bowties are Cool
Years
I would be a Scrafty, I want to have a Mohawk... but I can't due to naturally short hair.

Treecko

Years
I would most obviously be a Mightyena. Top Fav; Numero Uno; Number one. Anyway, other Dark type I would be is a Zoroark. Come On! Illusions. Who would want any?

Hmm... Well, I've gotta agree with this:

I mean seriously, how cool would it be to have Zoroark's powers of illusions? Honestly I'd rather be a Zorua due to the huge cuteness factor as it's simply an adorable Pokémon and Zoroark... isn't... But I'd certainly love to have the Imposter ability like those two Pokémon so it'd definitely be one of them. Other than that, I'd also want to be a Mightyena for the sheer awesomeness and power that it'd bring, and I'd also like to be a Sneasel because they always look like they're having a lot of fun with their huge cheeky smiles!
Yeah I think it be cool to be Zoroark. I like to have the power of illusions and then I could still be a Umbreon. Or at least pretend to be one.

Sorry for not checking into the club guys. I might need a co-owner to help me out here.

Anyway. New topic is overdue again.

Similar question

Which dark type do you think has the worst design?

This is why I need a co-owner. I need help keeping this place active and I have a hard time coming up with topics.

OK then discuss!

Last edited:

Psystar63

Years
Sorry for not checking into the club guys. I might need a co-owner to help me out here.

Anyway. New topic is overdue again.

Similar question

Which dark type do you think has the worst design?

This is why I need a co-owner. I need help keeping this place active and I have a hard time coming up with topics.

OK then discuss!

Hm, Co-Owner? Well, I would like to nominate myself, except I don't know how well I'd do at the job. I haven't been particularly active thanks to White 2. I'd probably need like a Co-co-owner just to help me out... :P

Anyways, as for the topic, I'm not really a fan of Scraggy's or Scrafty's. I don't know, they just don't look as cool compared to the other Dark-types (IMO anyway). I'll admit that Scrafty's red mohawk is pretty neat, and it's cute when Scraggy pull up its shed skin like it's pants are always falling down. But I've just never been a real fan of the 'Hoodlum look'.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Okay so I thought I might join, and deleted my previous joining post because I thought it would be better to start of fresh!

Username: Curious.
What do you think of Dark-Type Pokemon: Dark type Pokemon are by far my favourite type of Pokemon. Their designs I have to say for me, are some of the best out of the whole franchise and many of them can pack a fist-full of power.
Your partners: This is quite a difficult decision because I quite like them all but I'll settle for Zoroark and Hydreigon, since I've currently got them in my B2 team. I also have Tyrantiar but I might take a break from her. :P (Which reminds me that I have to update my sig).

And the obvious fact -- Dark types rule. ;)

And in response to the topic; I'd say probably say Cacnea > Cacturn or the Bisharp family.

Treecko

Years
Okay so I thought I might join, and deleted my previous joining post because I thought it would be better to start of fresh!

Username: Curious.
What do you think of Dark-Type Pokemon: Dark type Pokemon are by far my favourite type of Pokemon. Their designs I have to say for me, are some of the best out of the whole franchise and many of them can pack a fist-full of power.
Your partners: This is quite a difficult decision because I quite like them all but I'll settle for Zoroark and Hydreigon, since I've currently got them in my B2 team. I also have Tyrantiar but I might take a break from her. :P (Which reminds me that I have to update my sig).

And the obvious fact -- Dark types rule. ;)

And in response to the topic; I'd say probably say Cacnea > Cacturn or the Bisharp family.

Well thanks for Re-joining xD You're accepted.

I don't think you're actually on the list so I'll have to add you anyways.

Now for me to answer the topic myself:

I have to agree with some of you on the Bisharp family. As much as i like them, they don't look really good. Also don't like Drapion's design much.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Drapion has silly moustache things I don't like them :( I think worst Dark-type design has to go to Spiritomb though. Just look at this thing!

180px-442Spiritomb.png

If anyone cares to explain to me exactly how this thing classifies as a Pokémon then I'm all ears, but right now this is my least favourite Pokémon design-wise out of anything, especially Dark types. Most Dark Pokémon have insanely cool designs as beasts of the night and silent but deadly killers, but then we get this silly purple haze ghost pirate afro thing with one eye and tonnes of green acne - I don't even what ;; Basically I don't like it's design at all so it's certainly the answer to the topic for me, and if anyone wishes to try and explain Spiritomb's merits to me then I'd love to hear them - it's always fun learning to love something you hate!

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Username: tajaros
What do you think of Dark-Type Pokemon: They're pretty cool yet strong at the same time.
Your partner(s): Zoroark
Spr_5b_571.png
Duh, he's my favorite Pokemon... xD
What Types rule: Dark! I like Flinching! xD
Answer the current topic: ( If you could be any Dark-type, which would you be and why?) I'd be of course Zoroark being able to manipulate and create Illusions plus he's very cool. And he's also the first 5th Gen Pokemon Introduced... :P

PokemonDeceiver

TheTwistedDeciever
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 29, 2013
I'm Joining This Club!
Username: PokemonDeceiver
What do you think of Dark Type PKMN: They're the best!
Partners: Darkrai and Absol
Current Topic: I would be Darkrai, cos he's the best and the creepiest!

(Yes, I know that my signature says Lucario is the best, but its second to Darkrai)

Psystar63

Years
Drapion has silly moustache things I don't like them :( I think worst Dark-type design has to go to Spiritomb though. Just look at this thing!

180px-442Spiritomb.png

If anyone cares to explain to me exactly how this thing classifies as a Pokémon then I'm all ears, but right now this is my least favourite Pokémon design-wise out of anything, especially Dark types. Most Dark Pokémon have insanely cool designs as beasts of the night and silent but deadly killers, but then we get this silly purple haze ghost pirate afro thing with one eye and tonnes of green acne - I don't even what ;; Basically I don't like it's design at all so it's certainly the answer to the topic for me, and if anyone wishes to try and explain Spiritomb's merits to me then I'd love to hear them - it's always fun learning to love something you hate!

Ha ha ha! That's the funniest description of Spiritomb I've ever read! But Spiritomb to me always seemed more Ghost than Dark(well, it is a Ghost/Dark type) which makes me wonder why they made it part Dark in the first place. Sure, Ghost/Dark is a cool type combination with no weaknesses, but still... I think pure Ghost would suite it better.
And yeah, Spiritomb's design? What's that all about? I get that it's made up of 108 spirits bound to a keystone. But it just looks weird, especially with that one swirly eye poking out.

Treecko

Years
Username: tajaros
What do you think of Dark-Type Pokemon: They're pretty cool yet strong at the same time.
Your partner(s): Zoroark
Spr_5b_571.png
Duh, he's my favorite Pokemon... xD
What Types rule: Dark! I like Flinching! xD
Answer the current topic: ( If you could be any Dark-type, which would you be and why?) I'd be of course Zoroark being able to manipulate and create Illusions plus he's very cool. And he's also the first 5th Gen Pokemon Introduced... :P

I'm Joining This Club!
Username: PokemonDeceiver
What do you think of Dark Type PKMN: They're the best!
Partners: Darkrai and Absol
Current Topic: I would be Darkrai, cos he's the best and the creepiest!

(Yes, I know that my signature says Lucario is the best, but its second to Darkrai)

Welcome to the club both you!

I think I need to update the topic since that's wrong. lol but you're still in anyways.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Ha ha ha! That's the funniest description of Spiritomb I've ever read! But Spiritomb to me always seemed more Ghost than Dark(well, it is a Ghost/Dark type) which makes me wonder why they made it part Dark in the first place. Sure, Ghost/Dark is a cool type combination with no weaknesses, but still... I think pure Ghost would suite it better.
And yeah, Spiritomb's design? What's that all about? I get that it's made up of 108 spirits bound to a keystone. But it just looks weird, especially with that one swirly eye poking out.

Dark reflects on the unfairness, cruelty and naughtiness people. Sometimes, Dark also resembles something, i don't like to admit it but, evil. Spiritomb being part dark might be due to its dex entries saying about its constant mischief and misdeeds.

Years

The reason they made Spiritomb part-Dark was due to one of its Pokedex entries mentioning mischief and misdeeds, which is one of the things Dark-types are known for. In fact, if you look at most Dark-type attacks, they tend to be based on trickery like stealing, cruelty and pragmatism.

However, I still think Spiritomb has an interesting design and origin behind it, and given it has 108 spirits, its Sinnoh Dex number being 108 and weighing 108kg if you go by metric. Spiritomb actually has a big association towards the number 108, according to this quote on TV Tropes:
Spiritomb is formed from 108 evil spirits that are bound together to the Odd Keystone (compare with Ninetales from Generation I, which is said to be the reincarnation of nine saints). In addition, Spiritomb weighs 108 kilograms, its Sinnoh region Pokédex number is 108, and its base Defense and Special Defense are 108. 108 is considered a mystical number in Buddhism (108 is said to be the number of temptations one must overcome to reach nirvana).

And I didn't even know it had 108 base for both of its defenses until reading TV Tropes.

Treecko

Years
The reason they made Spiritomb part-Dark was due to one of its Pokedex entries mentioning mischief and misdeeds, which is one of the things Dark-types are known for. In fact, if you look at most Dark-type attacks, they tend to be based on trickery like stealing, cruelty and pragmatism.

However, I still think Spiritomb has an interesting design and origin behind it, and given it has 108 spirits, its Sinnoh Dex number being 108 and weighing 108kg if you go by metric. Spiritomb actually has a big association towards the number 108, according to this quote on TV Tropes:

Spiritomb is formed from 108 evil spirits that are bound together to the Odd Keystone (compare with Ninetales from Generation I, which is said to be the reincarnation of nine saints). In addition, Spiritomb weighs 108 kilograms, its Sinnoh region Pokédex number is 108, and its base Defense and Special Defense are 108. 108 is considered a mystical number in Buddhism (108 is said to be the number of temptations one must overcome to reach nirvana).

And I didn't even know it had 108 base for both of its defenses until reading TV Tropes.

This pretty much explains it.

Dark-type and Ghost Pokemon have dex entries that relate to mischief, pain, and cruelty. They're some dark ones. One good example would be Cacturne's Sapphire entry. (Though Dark is it's secondary type, it's still Dark)

If a traveler is going through a desert in the thick of night, Cacturne will follow in a ragtag group. The Pokémon are biding their time, waiting for the traveler to tire and become incapable of moving.
There's no real justification as to why they wait for travelers to not be able to move, but I'm assuming it is so they can kill or torture the traveler.

Another one Murkrow , has multiple entries on it bring misfortune to those who see it at night. Specifically it's Gold/HeartGold entry:
Feared and loathed by many, it is believed to bring misfortune to all those who see it at night.

Then there's Sableye, whose eyes are literally crystallized rock it has eaten:
Sapphire entry said:
Sableye digs the ground with sharpened claws to find rocks that it eats. Substances in the eaten rocks crystallize and rise up to the Pokémon's body surface.

And according to it's Ruby entry, those said eyes steal the spirits of people who look into them:
Sableye lead quiet lives deep inside caverns. They are feared, however, because these Pokémon are thought to steal the spirits of people when their eyes burn with a sinister glow in the darkness.

I really like Spiritomb's design and I never knew the origin behind it. I don't think that's merely coincidental either, I feel they did it intentionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back