• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon Apex Version

What should I call the game?

• Peak Version

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Give Ideas In Comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

UltimateDillon

Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)
Years
Well I came across a program from the ClickTeam called the "Installer Creator." If you don't want to see the advertisement at the end you'll have to buy the full version. You can also make one in Visual Basic,,,

Well, the thing about that is, I'm not too good at Visual Basic. In fact, I haven't ever used it or thought about using it. What do I need to do to make one using Visual Basic?

EpicJackman

Ace Attorney
Years
Just search technical-recipes.com on Google, click on "Microsoft Visual Basic," and then find , "How To create an Installer With Microsoft Visual Studio." Sorry, I can't post links until I have 15 posts.

UltimateDillon

Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)
Years
Just search technical-recipes.com on Google, click on "Microsoft Visual Basic," and then find , "How To create an Installer With Microsoft Visual Studio." Sorry, I can't post links until I have 15 posts.

Okay. Thank you for the help. I'll do that now.

UPDATE: I have good news and bad news. However, Please read this whole post in detail because it explains some shocking things about the software I've tried...

Good News: I did it! I completed the first version of the installer! I didn't use Visual Basic though. That was going to be too complicated, so I was reading a post made on some forum by a disgruntled InstallShield* user who said InstallShield* was rubbish. Anyways, he linked to a good alternative which turned out to be way easier and better than InstallShield* It's called Inno Setup 5 and you can get it here, FOR FREE. This is surprising because it offers more features than InstallShield Premier which costs £2,849!!!!!!!!!!!! (More than $3,000!!!!!!)

Bad News: The installer is ready, but the game is not. During the past two days, I have been working so much on a way to distribute the alpha. Because of this, I haven't made any progress on the game and we're still looking at about another 1 or 2 weeks before the actual alpha release.

If you REALLY want to try the current version, PM me and you can become some of the first beta testers. You will be able to get hold of each release before anyone else, but you will need to write a bug report for every release. So PM me and I will explain your tasks and give you a download link.

*InstallShield is the better version of the Visual Basic installer template. It is still used via Visual Basic but is better than the default installer tools. Despite this, it's still crap.

Last edited:

EpicJackman

Ace Attorney
Years
You were right about bug city! Here are some I can name off the top of my head:
-You have to get the PokeBall on the table (in house) twice for the mom to activate the tutorial message.
-The running sprite period.
-Oak is invisible and reappears after he finishes talking.
-The points where you end up after exiting a building. After I exited Oak's Lab I got stuck in a house.

I'll play more tomorrow.

UltimateDillon

Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)
Years
You were right about bug city! Here are some I can name off the top of my head:
-You have to get the PokeBall on the table (in house) twice for the mom to activate the tutorial message.
-The running sprite period.
-Oak is invisible and reappears after he finishes talking.
-The points where you end up after exiting a building. After I exited Oak's Lab I got stuck in a house.

I'll play more tomorrow.

Thanks lol. Yeah I wasn't even planning on releasing this build. I just wanted to show you guys that i'm actually working on it. Some actual material helps to keep people following the project.

Years
Once you have fixed the bugs that have been mentioned I might be able to take a look for you. I should also have designs for those characters to you very soon.

UltimateDillon

Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)
Years
Big Update - GitHub Website!

Ok so I have spent all day building a GitHub Repository for this game. It allows you to do several things:
  • View the latest updates and news on a customized GitHub page.
  • Report bugs and problems.
  • Download the latest version.
  • View a Readme on how to install and use the game.
  • Comment on Issues about bugs and stuff.
  • And More...

It also allows me to:
  • Update the website, repository & other stuff in one place.
  • Tell people new additions/fixes as they are added.

The repository can be accessed here.

The Updates & Download page can be accessed here.

DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE GAME WITHOUT FIRST MESSAGING ME TO RECEIVE VITAL DETAILS!

I will give more detailed info as it becomes available.

Last edited:

UltimateDillon

Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)
Years
IMPORTANT! I'm just about to update the game. Once the files are updated and ready to download, I will update this post, letting you know it's updated. Here's the list of changes:
  • Fixed invisible oak bug.
  • Fixed getting stuck on a roof when you exit the lab.
  • Fixed transfer events. You should be able to walk all the way to Magnas City.
  • Added Pokémon Center in Magnas City.
  • Fixed other small inconveniences.
I will update this list if I remember any other changes I made.

UPDATE: You can download the game here.

UPDATE | 0.31a:
  • Fixed some bugs that came with the 0.28a update.
  • Fixed the error about not being able to find RGSS104E.dll

The game can be downloaded from the same link as above.

Last edited:

TheMrQuit

Egg: It's going to hatch soon!
Years
suggestions

honestly, i think you have to work hard on your game. the graphic is really good, but there are a lot of bugs that can be easily fixed. i really hope to be able to do my first fight with my torchic soon enough. :)

UltimateDillon

Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)
Years
Updates! (Sorry for my laziness)

honestly, i think you have to work hard on your game. the graphic is really good, but there are a lot of bugs that can be easily fixed. i really hope to be able to do my first fight with my torchic soon enough. :)

Thanks! I have worked hard but it would be nothing without all my helpers! :)

UPDATE: Sorry I haven't been working on the game. I have a newly found serious addiction to a certain game and its been holding me back from work. I will try to get more work done soon.

P.S. I uploaded this YouTube video on the 21st September and it nearly has 800 views already! Help me reach 1,000!

Years
woo.. havnt been on the forums in a while. lol. been playing pokemon rumble and school stuff and almost losing my best friend since 5th grade. so yea.. i know thats not an excuse but i just havnt been feeling like going on the laptop. hmm.. prob will be on more once i get my own. and definantly will be on more once i finish high school

UltimateDillon

Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)
Years
Big Update!

Latest | 0.56a | 11/10/12: Big Update! Well, here it is, the highly anticipated next update! Changelist:
  • Fixed some badly tiled areas.
  • Changed the player's room slightly.
  • Finished the main events from the Patria Town.
  • Fixed A LOT of bugs.
  • Fixed some tiles which were passable.
  • Inserted the first battle.
The game can be downloaded here.

UltimateDillon

Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)
Years
Just a quick post to say I haven't given up and please don't lock the thread :P
I will continue this project but I'm in a bit of a mess because I'm getting a new computer. Stay tuned everyone!

~UltimateDillon

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
UltimateDillion
These are actually quite good. I don't want to do PokéBuddy because it's a bit too far for my liking.

PokéBoy sounds good but it could end up seeming out of place if I decide to change the game to a different style. (e.g. from Emerald tilesets to HG/SS tilesets)

PokéAurora is good though. that could work. I might make it something else shorter like PokéAura or something similar.

As for the tiles, do you think I should go double screen and do HG/SS or D/P style? I think if I went with one of these, I would have a bigger choice of tiles and features.

i think you should just upgrade to B/W graphics, or D/P but keep one screen. it gets to difficult with two screens. at least in my opinion. :P

Years
First off:
The mapping is good, but try removing some trees and add things such as cliffs, and let's not forget some scenery like flowers, small rocks, bushes, and small trees.

The region map is great.

The overworlds should be changed to HGSS style to make it look better.

Also, I don't like the part about borrowing a pokemon to defeat the first gym leader, this actually in my sense ruins the attribute of accomplishing things yourself.

Finally, you don't need to do this, but shouldn't you list why the people are in your credits? (Even if you know why)

Years
Good to see that you're still working on this. I'll download the latest version soon and should be able to get back to helping you out with things soon also.

UltimateDillon

Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)
Years
i think you should just upgrade to B/W graphics, or D/P but keep one screen. it gets to difficult with two screens. at least in my opinion. :P

I've already decided on HG/SS because the tiles for B/W and D/P aren't as readily available as HG/SS. Also, I've mentioned before that I'm sticking to one screen.

First off:
The mapping is good, but try removing some trees and add things such as cliffs, and let's not forget some scenery like flowers, small rocks, bushes, and small trees.

The region map is great.

The overworlds should be changed to HGSS style to make it look better.

Also, I don't like the part about borrowing a pokemon to defeat the first gym leader, this actually in my sense ruins the attribute of accomplishing things yourself.

Finally, you don't need to do this, but shouldn't you list why the people are in your credits? (Even if you know why)

First of all, the maps are very much unfinished and my mapper hasn't been online in a very long time so I'm looking for a replacement once again. Secondly, I have the HG/SS overworlds ready to be imported into the game. I even had to clean up the sprite sheet I got because it was messy and wouldn't have event worked :P

Good to see that you're still working on this. I'll download the latest version soon and should be able to get back to helping you out with things soon also.

Thanks. I told you I will get this game done. Even if it takes me two or three years :P

I have actually not worked in ages. I'm kinda in an awkward situation trying to build my new computer but some of the parts were DOA so the game's files are on an External HDD at the minute.

And now, an apology:
Sooo... I haven't been here in a while, but I'm back and I have good news and bad news. Well the good news is, the project isn't dead. In fact, it's very much alive... Sort of. This leads me to the bad news which comes in three parts. The first thing is that the files are currently on an External Hard Drive, waiting to be transferred over to my unfinished gaming computer. I was hoping to have the comp by now but since a few of the parts were DOA, I have had quite a bit of an unanticipated delay. The second part is that my mapper has disappeared, and by disappeared I mean he hasn't been online in over a month which means the mapper post is once again, available for the taking - not like anyone wanted to do it anyway. Finally, the third piece of bad news is that Call of Duty: Black Ops II comes out on Tuesday and... well you catch my drift. I will try to work on it as much as possible when - or if - I get my computer up and running.

That's it for this update and I would like to remind you the latest build is still available near the top of the original post. Thank You.

Last edited:
Back