• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever noticed?...

Lockdown

Doom in a can
Years
Something that I have never thought of before was that each region seems to represent a different real life culture. Johto, for instance, has lots of things (Buildings, names, music, etc.) that seem to be a lot like the Japanese culture. Have you ever noticed that? And if so, what culture do you think each region represents?

For me, I think that they go like this:
Kanto- American (A little before or after the Revolutionary War)
Johto- Japanese/Chinese
Hoenn- South American
Sinnoh- Canadian
Unova- American

This is all personal opinion.

Years
Kanto fits better with Japan, seeing as it's named after a region there and looks a fair amount like that region. I agree with you on Johto, Hoenn, and Unova; Sinnoh I'm not sure about.

Orre, I think, seems like... the United Arab Emirates, maybe? A post-futuristic version of it? Actually, it's kinda Las Vegas-ish, now that I think about it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Orre personally reminds me of Arizona, being a dried out desert and such. Never been there myself, so I can't say that Arizona is a total wasteland without wildlife (I'll give it more credit than that!) but I'm sure that's what it was based on. Las Vegas also has plenty of desert land, so it could be that as well, if not a mixture of both. Or maybe just western United States in general.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
As far as I know the Kanto region is based off of real life Kanto (region where Tokyo is in), Johto is based off of the region next to real life Kanto (which is where Nintendo's HQ is located in), Hoenn is based off of the region in the lower left part of Japan (only rotated 90 degrees), Sinnoh is based off of the Hokkaido Region (northernmost region in Japan), and Unova is based off of New York City.

I think each region has their culture based off of their real life counterpart (Kanto being more modern with Tokyo/Saffron and Celadon City and Johto being more old-fashioned with Kyoto/Ecruteak City, for example)

Orre personally reminds me of Arizona, being a dried out desert and such. Never been there myself, so I can't say that Arizona is a total wasteland without wildlife (I'll give it more credit than that!) but I'm sure that's what it was based on.

According to Bulbapedia the Orre region is based off of Pheonix, Arizona (There's a link too so I think they're right). I can definitely see the resemblance between them.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
I always thought Kanto seemed really American in its culter, not necessarily the layout. Johto was always my favorite, less sludge and big citys, more mountains and giant pine trees. Johto was with no doubt based of Japanese culter; Komono girls, the shape of the buildings, etc. Hoenn culture always seemed as if based off some little fishing town, never played Unova and honestly cant remember much about Sinnoh.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
Alright so yeah, I can agree about kanto being similar to America. I mean its not like the culture of how people live or behave particularly reflects Japan at all. And with the mostly brick buildings and such it doesn't reflect Japan specifically in architecture either. Sure the shape is like the real area in Japan but other that that I too think the rest doesn't say Japan. It's kinda... Culture-less. Lol but johto is obviously Japan there's no doubt. Even the shrine in ilex forest seems kinda reflects classic Japanese Shinto belief. I like the reference of South America. Green and wet. Lol. But again their culture is not as intensive so I couldn't say. Finally sinnoh? Canada? Idk bwahaha snowy mountains sure but I know naught of Canada. And unova is not like New York City. Its too nice! :P kidding.

27thColt

The Collector
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
I think your thought is a good one.
I think your going into the thematic motif of each Generation or region.you can check it out on Bulbapedia.

anyways,this is what i think:
-Kanto New Japan
-Johto Old Japan
-Hoenn -Hawaii or any other tropical country/state/province
-Sinnoh Canada
-Unova America

LHT

I do pokemon sprites sometimes
Years
I think Kanto looks like modern Japan, and Johto is based more on old Japan, with Kimono Girls and things like that.
Anyway, Hoenn resembles a lot my country (Brazil) so I guess you are right, and I agree with you on Sinnoh and Unova too.
Just adding, the new region of this sixth generation is based on Europe. (derp)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 3, 2013
I never noticed other than Johto :o

I think Unova, although it is confirmed to be America, seems more like modern Mexico.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Also solidifying the statement that the first four regions are based on Japan. It's not even subtle, especially in Johto.

Speaking of which...

linkofhyrule said:
Johto was always my favorite, less sludge and big citys, more mountains and giant pine trees. Johto was with no doubt based of Japanese culter; Komono girls, the shape of the buildings, etc.

*double blink* Wha... wow, really? That's the reason I couldn't stand Johto. I've always referred to the region with people I know iRL and others online as "Japan played (painfully) straight". Trees and mountains, mountains and trees. Blech. Even the Pokemon of that generation bored me to tears. That's also why Houen was my favorite, so much variation. I feel like a video game should be the last thing to emulate real life to a T, especially when said game touts itself as a fantasy.

Of course, I'm not trying to make a thing out of it or have a go or something. :) It's just, I've never heard anyone that has ever preferred Johto because it's so... minimal. That's astounding to me, honest. Well, I think it's cool, I like to see new interesting perspectives.

EpicSylveon

Sylveon Trainer
Years
Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh are based off of Japan, Unova is based on the U.S.A. and the new region in Pokemon X and Y seems to be based of Europe.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
*double blink* Wha... wow, really? That's the reason I couldn't stand Johto. I've always referred to the region with people I know iRL and others online as "Japan played (painfully) straight". Trees and mountains, mountains and trees. Blech. Even the Pokemon of that generation bored me to tears. That's also why Houen was my favorite, so much variation. I feel like a video game should be the last thing to emulate real life to a T, especially when said game touts itself as a fantasy.

Of course, I'm not trying to make a thing out of it or have a go or something. :) It's just, I've never heard anyone that has ever preferred Johto because it's so... minimal. That's astounding to me, honest. Well, I think it's cool, I like to see new interesting perspectives.

I don't think anything's wrong with "playing Japan (painfully) straight". Jotho's story line was very heavily based on the Legends surrounding the region, and I think the whole lay-out of the region helped to amplify that. As an outsider, I think the whole Japanese/Asian building style and what not, helped to create that feeling of the region and its inhabitants being close to legends and myths of old. With Ho-Oh being based on the (asian) Phoenix I think it connects quite nicely.

Jotho is my favourite region as well, followed closely by Hoenn and Unova, for the exact reason that it's less industrial than Kanto and one of the more rural regions. I might be biased as I adore mountainous areas, though. ;3

As a reply to the OP, yes, I was aware of the regions being based on RL areas.

Back