• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Still Worth Playing To A Newbie?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
Personally I think the first two generations of Pokemon were the most enjoyable ones! I definitely recommend giving RBY/GSC games a playthrough, you won't regret it!

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
As other people said, you don't really run into glitches that often unless you're looking for them. But, as far as being buggy goes, the only thing I can really say about that being true is if you're playing an actual cartridge copy. I have cartridge copies that I got secondhand years ago, and now, they are very difficult to play. I have to save every couple of minutes, just because the game likes to freeze at random. That's really the only "bug" that I've run into... If you're playing on an emulator, though, you should be fine, and I definitely recommend it! It's always cool seeing how the game started, and how different everything is, even if it's not the generation you started out with. C:

Gigabeat

Professionals and all.
Years
I bought an unboxed GB off EBay recently as well as a new cartridge, so the glitch issue is not really a problem for me. Besides, some of the glitches like the Mew Encounter one can be pretty fun. Though it's not really a big issue, the game didn't receive bad reviews because it had multiple glitches, quite the opposite. But keep in mind that it can be a slight challenge if you didn't start out with it because the newer Pokemon games while more feature packed tend to be much easier level wise. But definetly ,it's worth the play!

Years
I've played 1st Gen, 2nd Gen and 3 years ago I tried the remakes of Gold and Silver, and I absolutely don't like the remakes, graphic-wise, music-wise and of course, most of the new pokemon. I can't really tell why, I'm just so used to Gen 1 & 2 that I don't really like these changes. I can definitely recommend playing Gen 1 and 2, but as others pointed out, the newer ones might be more appealing for new players.

Years
I would recommend playing the games, though I would advice the player to look at the games in the context of the time they were made.

Yes, the graphics were not pretty, but for the late 90's, to me they seem alright. As a kid, I didn't care about the pixels, I was too excited about playing. The games may have been glitchy, but I would again say to look at the era they're from, because if I recall correctly, handhelds were still on the newer side.

Also, a lot of Pokemon fans refer to the previous generations a lot, and playing them will give you an understanding of their discussion.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
There's no doubt that these games are classics, and I've been playing Pokemon since they first came out. But I would personally recommend you give these a pass, and instead play the remakes: FireRed and LeafGreen. If you want to play for the novelty value, then have at it. But if you're looking for a quality game, then you'll probably be really disappointed.

The thing about these games is, they don't do anything that the later games don't do 10 times better. Plus, as your friend mentioned, they're horribly unbalanced in terms of moves and type matchups. They really haven't aged well, so you're better off going with the remakes. The remakes are identical, but with better graphics, less bugs, and better balance. Plus there's an entire extra area to explore with some new Pokemon that you can access after you defeat the Elite Four.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
I play them for nostalgia's sake, because I've been a fan of Pokémon for sixteen years, and I still remember holding the Pokémon Blue box, wrapped in that annoying plastic, after my mom bought it for me for my birthday. They're great games. They're nearly flawless with regard to gameplay, even if they're somewhat unbalanced technically. I'm actually playing through Pokémon Blue on my phone when I get bored, and the nostalgic feeling is amazing.

That said, as zomgitscathy said, you might fair better playing through Firered and Leafgreen. The graphics are a lot better, and the gameplay is more or less the same. You get the edition of the Sevii islands, and the Vs. Seeker makes it a lot more fun to rebattle trainers later on (and extends playability a long way). If you want to see where Pokémon got its start however, please, play them! :)

Years
Of course these games are the original classics, and they will always hold a special place in my heart. However, the will probably not have the same effect on a new player. I can't expect you to feel the same feelings as I do when I look back at these games. To someone who has recently experienced the wonder of Pokemon X and Y, the originals will seem dark, slow and probably boring. If you become a die hard Pokemon fan - to the point where you have to have seen / done / played everything that is Pokemon, then of course. See where it all started. If you're looking for something else to play because there's little left to do in your present game, try maybe just a generation back the way. Good luck in your discovery ~

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Honestly, no; unless you're into old games anyway, they aren't really an ideal introduction to the series for the very reasons you provided. I would start you off with the third generation games, but it's ultimately a matter of knowing your own taste, as I said: if you're into old games and discovering all the strange glitches, go for it; if not, given that you won't be influenced by nostalgia (and assuming you're relatively young if you've never played Pokemon proper), it really isn't the best bet for a first impression. What does youth have to do with it? Different expectations for different eras of gaming, that's all.

Years
If you're comparing a game from 17 years ago to X and Y today, of course it's flawed. But if you look at it from that time perspective, it was quite impressive.

At this moment though, RSE doesn't really have much going for it other than the retro/nostalgic value. Unless you want to exploit glitches, I'd recommend the remakes.

Years
The older games are definitely worth playing, even if only to say that you've played them. It might be interesting to see how Pokémon started, if you already know what it's become today in X and Y. I've recently played through Yellow again, and... well, some things (a lot of things, really) haven't aged all that well - but we're really spoilt rotten with X and Y and other games of the past few generations, so it's worth approaching with an open mind and just bear in mind that you can pretty much play through with just your starter to do it quickly. It was very much possible back in the day.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
When I play the originals, I think of the "humble beginnings" this series has had, and all of the good memories I had with Blue. While it is unquestionable that these games have aged, it doesn't matter to me. Sometimes I see the new games and get overwhelmed by the complexity.

Ask any random teenager off the street about Pokemon, and they'll talk about Red or Blue. When people think Pokemon, they still think Pikachu, Charmander, Squirtle (I have my own opinions on these people that I'd rather not share).

The point of my post is that we should cherish the classics, no matter how rough they look today. You can't form an opinion on a game that you haven't played. I think of the Zelda series where people still love Ocarina of Time, and Mario players who still love Super Mario 64. If you don't like it, then nothing is lost. At least you tried it.

If color is the issue, play Yellow or Gold, Silver and Crystal, or any of the more recent games.
I recommend you download the Gen 2 Graphic Patch so that the game doesn't look like a pile of junk

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
Years
I personally think that anyone who is just entering the world of Pokémon should play the originals first. Although that opinion isn't really valid because each to their own..

Having been playing since release there's a huge nostalgia factor involved when I decide to pull out my Gameboy Pocket and play a game. After the graphics great compared to today's standard? Of course not but, as others have said, they were decent at the time.
As I'm sure the other older players can agree with, back then we weren't bothered about graphics or glitches anyway. Glitches were cool because it was something extra for the game + we were so interested in actually playing through the games that even if the graphics weren't the best at that point or the storyline wasn't great, it really didn't matter considering we were kids anyway and those "issues" wouldn't get in the way of enjoying the games.

In response to whether you should start with these games, I can only emulate other people answers and say that it depends on your reasoning. If you want to see what all the fuss was about and want to experience the roots of Pokémon gaming play Gen1. If you want updated graphics/more features/better storylines etc. play the later games :)

- James

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
The games were definitely fun as heck when they first came out, and we all played the crap out of them. But to be honest, if you look at how far we have come, they definitely look like old pieces of dung, sorry. Especially if you consider the fact that one can play FR/LG, which is basically the same but improved, i wouldt say playing any of the originals is a must. If one has played them before, sure, but for a newbie i dont think it would be too great of an experience.

Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2014
The games are fine.

You'll only come across bugs and glitches if you go out of your way to look for them. I have been playing RBY since release and not once have I come across a bug I didn't deliberately look for using the help of the internet. So it really baffles me when I hear people say there are so many glitches that the game is 'broken'.

Only Pokemon veterans who have a strong grasp of battling will notice how unbalanced the game is. A casual player who doesn't battle competitively won't notice a thing.

That being said, there isn't really anything RBY does that FireRed/LeafGreen doesn't do better, so I'd recommend starting there.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
I think they've aged so badly that anyone wanting to play Pokemon for the first time is much better off playing the current game that's out. If anything, playing the remakes, Fire Red/Leaf Green is the better option. I believe that the original games are more for nostalgia or to see how far Pokemon has came along the way.

I don't recommend skipping it since we all should play all of the Pokemon games eventually but it's definitely not a game where if you skip it, you'll miss out. The remakes are just as fine, if not better.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
If you can get past the graphics, they're really fun to play. They're so retro and they work great as long as you aren't trying to exploit any bugs. They're really fast to play through as well, which gives them high replay value in my point of view.

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
Years
Get them the classic's Are really good, I enjoyed them More than most of them now.
Yes they are Buggy and sometimes Broken, But they still have there charm.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
For technology's sake, it's almost redundant to consider these games into the Pokémon world after the remakes and the Gen III cut-off. However, the music is amazing in these (they give you so much nostalgia) games and the horrendous 8-bit graphics are actually something you could get used to. If you want to enjoy RGBY, you should play them first, and then the newer games because you'll still love them because of nostalgia. This is from personal experience, trust me. If you played a newer game first, chances are you'd ignore them half way and chuck them off for a more technologically advanced FireRed and LeafGreen.

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
Years
Wow, people actually say that?

Of course as it is early in the series, there are going to be some bugs and glitches, but these games are absolutely worth playing.

Back