• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Most annoying gym leader in FR/LG?

Most Annoying Gym Leader?

• Brock

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Misty

Votes: 58 30.2%
  • Lt. Surge

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • Erika

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Koga

Votes: 41 21.4%
  • Sabrina

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • Blaine

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Giovanni

Votes: 10 5.2%

• Total voters

GoGoShinyDunsparce

And Flounderp too!
Years
Yeah, Koga's the only one I remember actually having problems with. His pokemon are at quite a high level too if I remember correctly.
Kanto in general has quite an easy set of gym leaders though :]

Apart from Brock if you choose Charmander, that is.

Anyone ever have difficulties against Blaine btw? He always seems to die so quickly when I battle him...

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2015
Hmm. I don't really ever recall having difficulties with FRLG or RBY gym leaders... But if I had to pick, I'd say Kanto's toughest goes to Sabrina. Halfway because of her gym design, and halfway because if you don't have a hard hitting physical attack pokemon/ SPDEF tank, you're SOL against her haha

@GoGoShinyDunsparce: Nope, the only time Blaine has ever been a minute challenge was when I took him on with a team of 3 grass and 1 bug types. But even then, he died quickly enough

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Koga for his poison-causing moves and the fact that now three out of his four Pokemon only have a weakness to Psychic because of their ability. And it doesn't help that his Pokemon are pretty resilient as well.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't remember many of them being too painful, tbh. I guess Misty can be annoying when you choose Charmander and don't plan on using any grass types though.

Years
Misty's Starmie is quite the behemoth I'll admit, but nothing compares to the pain I experienced facing Koga, with a team manned by my Venasaur alone. His Koffing is an explosion threat, his Grimer and
Muk spam minimize and proceed to whittle your HP down with Toxic, and his Weezing....oh lord, this thing is near impossible to take down and hits extremely hard with Sludge.

Necrolium

Flygon Trainer
Years
They were all generally easy but Koga's pokemon levels jumped a lot higher than Ericka's. Usually gym leaders pokemon level difference isn't big but the difference between his levels and Ericka's levels I think has the biggest gap.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
The most annoying is a tie between Erika & Koga because both of them use status-inflicting moves (Erika - Stun Spore, Koga - Toxic/Sludgebomb/anyotherpoisontypemoveihate) >_>

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
Misty. because I often choose Charmander, and if I not catch Pikachu, Weedle or Oddish/Bellsprout it will be very hard, plus Water pulse still hit hard on Pikachu and have 20% chance of confusion.

Last edited:

Manectric-Fan

Thunder-Strike Adventurer
Years
I'll say Misty, totally! When you think you've beaten her water-types she send out
her strongest Pokémon, Starmie. You still think you gat a chance, even with your
grass-starter, the she suddenly "kills" your pokemon with only one attack!!! :(

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
It'd have to be between Misty and Sabrina. I always catch an Abra and evolve it. Starmie is part psychic so it resists my Kadabra's attacks and its Water Pulse pretty much finishes me instantly and Sabrina, well it's just a matter of Alakazam > Kadabra and the only attack I can learn to use against a Psychic type at that point are leech life, shadow ball(stupid ghost attacks using attack type and not special), bite and thief. Every other gym leader is pretty easy, Erkia grass/posion, psybeam, Koga poison, psybeam, Giovanni Nidoking and Nidoqueen, psybeam.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2021
Brock post-charmander. Such a bugger. Resorted to training a Nidoran.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
Years
  • Age 33
  • WI
  • Seen Feb 14, 2013
Koga threw me off the most... I really don't care for poison types so they bug me.

Back