• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Shiny Experience

Years
The ONLY shiny pokemon I've ever seen in the wild is a Ralts. Do you want to know where? It was the one Wally caught in Emerald. -_-
Had a similar experience on Fire Red, where the Weedle that the Old Man teaches you how to catch was shiny. Sure, I didn't have to see it again, but I probably felt the same way you did just having to watch it happen and not be able to do anything about it.

My other bad experience was seeing a Shiny Paras in the Safari Zone on Fire Red. I was down to one last Safari Ball, and I didn't want to chance throwing a rock at it, so I crossed my fingers and threw the ball. It escaped after two shakes, and my Safari game was over.

Septentrion

Evilutionary biologist
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 13, 2023
my first shiny i met ( apart from gyarados!) was in diamond, and was a...
Shiny friggin Magikarp

This, Except cystal/silver(forget) version, and in the friggin Dragon's Den.

I do have a relatively good experience with them otherwise.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
My first 2 shinies were my worst shiny experiences. The first one was a Zubat in FR and I accidently ran before realizing that it was a shiny. My second was a Rattata in FR when I was on Route 1 and didn't had a Pokedex. :(

Years
Running from a shiny Boldore in Black, which was a shame cos it looks nice.

I did catch a shiny Drilbur months later to make up for it. He's an Excadrill now.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
The only bad shiny experience I've had is a relatively common one - encountering a shiny Geodude, then watching it blow itself up.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I've only ever seen one shiny, and I caught it... so I haven't really had any bad experiences. It was a pidgey in Crystal though, so I guess it sucks that I can't use it in any current games.

Years
Well I once cought a shiny geodude in Pokémon Emarald and I cought another shiny in HG but it was a spearow .
I liked the geodude but I hate spearows .

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
My worst experience is when I soft resetted on a shiny giratina after wasting days hunting for it. Another one would be when I encountered a Shiny Hoppip on Crystal while I had no Pokedex.

Last edited:

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
My worst experience was finding a shiny Electrike in Ruby, which didn't get captured in my only great ball. Made me sooo angry. I also kind of liked Manectric back then, so it was really sad.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Probably finding a shiny Zigzagoon, but thinking it was normal, and just running. Worst mistake I ever made. Tears are shed from the memory.

Zapperz

colour swapper!
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
The first shiny I found in B/W was the Patrat Prof.Juniper caught at the first route. :(

Years
I've never had any bad shiny experiences.
...Of course, to have a bad shiny experience, you actually have to have a shiny experience... :(

Years
My dad's girlfriend got her first pokemon game a week ago.
I was SO expecting her to find a shiny and not catch it.

She did, however, catch loads of Purrloins and yesterday say to me "I didn't know you had to train your pokemon. I thought you just caught them."

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Wandering around on Diamond version. I was on that route between Jubilife and Oreburgh (ahaha probably spelled those wrong because I don't pay enough attention). Then boom encountered my first shiny.

A Bidoof.

I didn't really care but caught it anyway. Then forgot I had him/her and deleted the save file. x: Lost my first shiny darn it.

Years
I have not encountered a shiny since Gen 2 Days....
The one Shiny I have seen was in Fire red but it was one of the Battle Tower trainer's Meowths >_>

Although this is not something that happened to me personally, I would still count this as a "bad shiny experience"

A friend of mine was playing one of the Core Gen 3 Games (I can't remember which one of the top of my head) and managed to catch a shiny Electrike. His friend though it would be absolutely hilarious to rip the Gameboy out of his hands, and shut the game off before he had a chance to save it. He hasn't even encountered a Shiny since.

Back