• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon you unexpectedly fell in love with

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 20, 2013
Gigalith for me. I caught a Roggenrolla in my Black play through early in the game. I didn't know it would become one of my strongest pokemon.

The funny thing is rock is my least favorite type!

I nicknamed him Buddy.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Porygon. It just looks so....i can't describe it.
But it is a pretty strong pokemon if you have the correct moves.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 20, 2013
Porygon. It just looks so....i can't describe it.
But it is a pretty strong pokemon if you have the correct moves.

Yes! I love Porygon! One of my favorite Pokemon!
I can never get him to evolve. No. One to trade with :(

Years
Gengar.

Sure he is a beloved Pokemon by plenty, but I did not come to love him until my older brother passed away. The two, as odd as it might seem, share a great semblance to one another in both personality and appearance.

Years
I've had a fair share of these moments, but the most blatant one lately would have to be Sylveon.

I used to not be a fan of the Eeveelutions due to their popularity, but I fell in love with this cutie as soon as she was revealed, and when there was all that speculation about her type (which eventually turned out to be the new Fairy-type) I was so busy collecting all the fanart of her I could find. I wouldn't have grown attached to the Eeveelutions in general had it not been for Sylveon, because heck she's one awesome dragon killer and can't wait to use her in X and Y when I get the games!

Sylveon made me even start loving Fairy-types in general.

And another example in recent months was Froakie. I used to find him weird when the Kalos starters were first revealed but as months went by I saw how badass the little frog was portrayed in anime scenes and various fanart. Hence he knocked my initial fave of the three (Chespin) and became my fave Kalos starter ever, and it became even more noticeable once the evolutions were revealed.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Oh yeah and swirlix. At first i was like: "Ice cream pokemon and now this...this...DERPIE-FACE,BOUINCING,PINK, (MILEY) TONGUE-STICKING FREAK?!"

And when it evolved i was like: OMG OMG OOMG he has a cherry on hsi head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Aerodactyl, Bellossom, Togekiss ... these three would have to be some, among many others, that I first didn't think too much of but eventually grew to love them. One of these three is actually one of my top three favorites and the other two are among my favorites as well. ♥

Though, I have to say the one I have been growing on after so long is Sableye. It used to freak me out but I've really started to warm up to it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Seaking .-.
Yes, Seaking!
Back in April, Syd started that april fools fish challenge. And I actually took it and since I chose Hoenn, I had to go through half the game with Seaking alone. Needless to say that I completely changed the way I viewed it before. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it could handle itself and it even defeated Watson's Gym, all by himself, despite the type disadvantage @w@
And Totodile. It used to be my least favorite starter and I never really used it, but the way it got portrayed in the anime, especially through Ash's Totodile, I ended up falling for the little thing.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
The whole leavanny line.. I never really liked the design of it, but I caught one in one of my white 2 play through sand I really liked it. That is also the first timei kept a bug type in my party through my entire game since Red and Blue came out.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Walrein. I've never used one for a campaign game but I trained one once for a Hail team on the competitive scene. Using a little advice from a friend I managed to make him incredibly resistant to anything that was thrown at him, often supporting the entire team.

It's either a testament to his strength or a warning as to how hopelessly incapable the rest of my team was. Either way I loved it to pieces and I never expected to. Now Walrein is one of my favourites.

Death

The Pale Horseman
Years
Ludicolo and Sableye from back when I was playing Gen III.

The most recent would be Darumaka from Gen V. When I first saw it, I was kind of grossed out (I don't really know why) but I kept seeing it in my PC when I went to reorganize my party and it went from there. haha

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
sylveon. its just to cute to resist plus its what made me like fairy types which is my new favorite type next to steel and psychic. next up is Azumirill. sure it has an adorable look plus my favorite abillity but their was a certain umph to it that it was missing. well since it gained a fairy type I decided to try it and boy was I amazed by its boost in usefulness. and you dont want to miss with this aqua rabbit when it starts to "play rough"oh and speaking of play rough,grandbull would be another unexpected one. I always avoided it due to the fact well....it was worthless as a normal type plus i hate dogs lol. tried it with its new shiny fairy type and was amazed. all in all all fairies rock lol

oh and I cant forget fennekin and its evolutions. for starters I love foxes. two its typing was a verry innovative starter type(after all these overdone fire/fight types). I also liked the way it starts as a fox,becomes a witch,and finally becomes a umm...mage like creature lol

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Roserade.

After using one in a Pearl poison monotype run, I fell in love with its versatility and sheer power. I went on to use one in Black 2

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When I was a kid, I really disliked Aerodactyl. Its head was bigger than its body, its mouth was too widely-opened, its wing were a little small—overall, I found it to be quite… ugly. d: Eventually, I got into the competitive scene. My friend, who already had some knowledge in competitive battling, suggested that I should have an Aerodactyl on my team. I was a bit hesitant at first, but still ended up going along with his advice. After getting it on my team, I finally started to realize how good this Pokémon was. Its Speed stat was extremely high, which always allowed it to outrun other Pokémon and strike the first hit. Not only that, but it also had a variety of moves in its arsenal, including Stealth Rock, Taunt, Stone Edge, and Earthquake. If you put all four of these attacks together into a moveset, then this Pokémon would've been able to make a great lead for almost any of your team.

After the introduction of Mega Aerodactyl in X and Y, my love for this Pokémon grew even larger. Mega Aerodactyl looks quite intimidating, which I really like! Plus, it's got a gargantuan Attack stat. After with only one boost from Hone Claws, this Pokémon would become nearly impossible to stop. (:

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
Years
Meinshao comes to mind, I wasn't sure where I sat with it for a while... but when it decided to practically destroy black/White's elite four on its own... I knew for sure lol

Electivire also grew on me once I used it in White 2

oh and I didn't expect to find Goodra to be so cute despite the sliminess

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
The Oshawott line - When Oshawott was revealed, it was my least favourite starter of all time, just because it was so ugly. I didn't care about its evolutions, too. However, Drayano60 buffed them in Pokemon Blaze Black and Volt White by making them Water/Fighting and giving them good moves like Shell Smash, Sacred Sword, and Earthquake. So I tried them out, and they only satisfied me, and therefore, I really like them.

Liepard - I really hated Liepard in the past. But when I got one in Super Pokemon Rumble, it had a pretty high power number, as well as the move Fury Swipes, so I decided to test it out, and it was pretty good.

Flabébé - Before the end of September, I thought Flabébé was going to be a weak Pokemon like Minun and Plusle, so I didn't really want one on my team. However, when I saw its evolutions, my opinion about Flabébé changed. That, and I ditched my Meowstic for a Gengar in Pokemon Y, so I needed something with Fairy type moves and Grass type moves. And who came to mind? The Flabébé line.

Back