• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Chaos Rush's 649 on Ruby Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
This project is very similar to Jambo51's project, in a sense that we're adding more Pokemon to a 3rd Gen game. However, mine is a bit different for these reasons:
Spoiler:

The features it will contain:
*649 Pokémon
*Every Pokémon will have a new sprite in the DS art style, but perfectly cleaned up. Sprites are taken from my Sprite Resource Project
*A few new items that work as evolutionary stones to handle forme changes
*Lowercase everything instead of HAVING EVERYTHING IN ALL CAPS LOL

So far I've done:
*Re-point Pokémon names table
*Re-point Base stats table
*Re-point front sprites table
*Re-point back sprites table
*Re-point normal palettes table
*Re-point shiny palettes table
*Re-point TM-compatibility table
*Re-point evolution table
*Re-point moveset table
*Re-point Icon table
*Re-point Icon Palette table
*Re-point battle positioning tables
*Re-point footprint table

Screenshots (some of these are outdated):
42708380.png
10628986.png
91922913.png
97618192.png
41031222.png
89443249.png
66356726.png
incnkm.png
2wd8u9h.png
2zitoxl.png
t4to2d.png

I would like to thank the people who mainly posted in this thread:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=185257&highlight=65536&page=2

namely HackMew, thethethe, Wichu, and a couple others, for contributing VERY helpful information on getting things to work. Also special thanks for Jambo51 for helping find the move animation table offset.

Tools used so far:
*Gold Finger hex editor
*Pokemon Game Editor
*Wichu's Sprite Editor
*a calculator
*Paint

Credits:
*Me - for doing all this stuff
*everyone that posted & contributed helpful information in that thread I linked to
*Jambo51 - for helping me with stuff, and for his original 649 project that inspired me, for telling me about the secondary cry table, for fixing some problems with cries, and for just being awesome in general

I have successfully figured out how to add new working evolutionary stones, and thus here is how I will handle all evolutions and forme changes: (list might be a bit outdated)
Spoiler:

TO-DO LIST:
*Pokedex entries
*Add movesets for 4th and 5th Gen Pokemon
*Finish my 64x64 sprite project (roflmao this will take a while)
*Possibly start a separate project based off of this one where I work on 4th Gen moves, items, and abilities

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
39245227.png
38881409.png
55451574.png

44291933.png
66356726.png

Yup, Turtwig and Grotle no longer look like Blastoises.

Can a mod rename this to, "Chaos Rush's 493 on Ruby & Emerald Project"? Because I've also added more Pokemon to Emerald.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
Hey a new thread for this. Its looking good. I love how the sprites are so well made. My younger brother was recently planning Ruby Destiny: Reign of Legends and had a Grotle. I said "Wow look how poorly resized that is!" I am giving no offense to the creator because it was a great hack but the resizing was not great. I would now like to ask, are these the same sprites that are gonna be in Jambo's patch? If not then will FR users be allowed to rip sprites from here and insert them into Jambo's while crediting you if used in a public hack? Can't wait to see more masterpieces for you, Chaos Rush.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I would now like to ask, are these the same sprites that are gonna be in Jambo's patch? If not then will FR users be allowed to rip sprites from here and insert them into Jambo's while crediting you if used in a public hack? Can't wait to see more masterpieces for you, Chaos Rush.
No, these sprites won't be in Jambo's patch (as of now), because I don't think Jambo even knows about these new sprites.

And lol, this isn't a "new thread for a sprite project", this is actually my own patch. In case this isn't clear, let me say this: I'm making my own patch for Ruby and Emerald with 493 Pokemon.

I've already done all of these on Ruby and Emerald:
Spoiler:

There's actually 439 Pokemon index numbers already in the 3rd Gen games, so Turtwig starts at #440, so currently in my roms I have 583 Pokemon. I count forme changes as separate Pokemon, hence why I added waaay more than 107 Pokemon slots, even though there's only 107 Pokemon introduced in Gen IV.

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
No, these sprites won't be in Jambo's patch (as of now), because I don't think Jambo even knows about these new sprites.

And lol, this isn't a "new thread for a sprite project", this is actually my own patch. In case this isn't clear, let me say this: I'm making my own patch for Ruby and Emerald with 493 Pokemon.

Why not go the whole hog and add Gen 5 as well?
I'm just asking out of curiosity.
Also, feel free to use the data structures in my patch for yours if possible. It'll save you a bunch of time if you do, trust me.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
NAnd lol, this isn't a "new thread for a sprite project", this is actually my own patch. In case this isn't clear, let me say this: I'm making my own patch for Ruby and Emerald with 493 Pokemon.
Yeah, I know this is a patch but I'm hacking FR and was just wondering if ripping and reinserting and then crediting you was allowed?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Why not go the whole hog and add Gen 5 as well?
I'm just asking out of curiosity.
Also, feel free to use the data structures in my patch for yours if possible. It'll save you a bunch of time if you do, trust me.
Well, a while ago I had this hack project going on called Pokemon DarkViolet. It was part of a 4-part series of hacks. I stopped because I realized I wanted to do it on Gen IV. But that would be kinda impossible with the lack of mapping documentation.

So the reason why my patch won't have Gen V Pokemon is simply because I have no use for them in my future hacks. BUT, I was thinking this yesterday, it really isn't that hard to re-point all the tables, it just takes a little while, so I might re-do the Ruby patch to include Gen V Pokemon. I'm not sure about Emerald, in fact, I'm not even sure if there's enough space in the rom to re-point all the tables to include 649 Pokemon, along with sprites and everything.

But you know what, I'll just see how long it takes for me to do all the sprites, then I'll think about Gen V Pokemon. Another reason is that do you seriously expect me to make sprites for 649 Pokemon, 493 is enough...

On and about the data structures, your patch has 649 Pokemon and a bunch of ASM stuff, while my patch has 493 Pokemon and no asm (except for that thing you have to do to make the new Pokemon sprites show-up in battle properly), so I don't think I can just copy+paste the data structures, but thanks anyways.

Yeah, I know this is a patch but I'm hacking FR and was just wondering if ripping and reinserting and then crediting you was allowed?
Of course it's allowed, the reason why I'm doing the sprite project is because I'm tired of seeing hacks with badly resized sprites.

EDIT: lol
41031222.png
89443249.png
41271925.png

Please ignore the weird Pokedex numbers, these sprites were inserted on a copy of the patch I made that I'm using specifically to "screw around" on. The actual patch does not have any movesets or sprites inserted yet.

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
By data structures, I meant stuff like the base data (which is the same for you as it is for me, after all).

If you copy and paste it, then that will save you having to redo it all from scratch on your ROM.

No, I don't expect you to sprite them all. That would be insane. :P

Good luck, man!

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
So here's what I've decided:

*The Ruby patch will have 649 Pokemon

*The Emerald patch will have 493 Pokemon. This is because of free space issues, and the Battle Frontier. There's enough Pokemon in the Battle Frontier to hack and evenly distribute 4th Gen Pokemon, but I don't think there's enough for 5th Gen Pokemon

*Because of this, in my sprite project, I will not be making a second frame for Gen V Pokemon, since Ruby doesn't have sprite animations.

These are the only Gen V sprites I've done so far:
snivyf.png

zekrom.png

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Minor issue I've run into: In Emerald, I'm assuming there's a table that tells how the Pokemon will animate when you send it out/view it in the Summary. I don't know where the table is, and until I find it and repoint it, some of the new Pokemon will freeze when viewing they try to animate. I know this because when they don't have to animate, they show up fine:
78839019.png
17681666.png
31144716.png
69992585.png

(ignore the messed up icon sprites, I have yet to repoint those tables)

But when they have to animate, it freezes:
81259057.png

It also freezes when the front sprite that causes the freezing is the opponent Pokemon, like if you set it to appear in the grass, or if a trainer sends it out. For some reason only some of the added Pokemon freeze when viewing their animation, others work fine.

If anyone knows where the animation pointer in Emerald is (NOT THE FRONT FRAMES POINTER), that would be really great.

On a side note, here's my really lame way of doing forme changes:
25016735.png
25316468.png
83299820.png
61749166.png
27505505.png
48262117.png

You use an item just like an evolutionary stone.

(ignore the fugly front sprites, they're just placeholders I inserted on a backup copy of the rom specifically for "testing things out" on. On the actual Emerald rom, every new Pokemon currently has Blastoises's pointers for sprites and palettes, so every Pokemon I inserted looks like Blastoise)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Just posting to say this isn't dead, I've mainly been working on the sprite resource.

BUT.

Now, I know I said that I won't be implementing 4th/5th Gen moves, but I changed my mind...
20924770.png

Special thanks to Jambo51 for his thread on adding more moves, and special thanks to Darthatron for his research on the physical/special split (which I have successfully implemented into Ruby), and special thanks to Gamer2020 for Pokemon Game Editor, which saved me a lot of time on choosing which attack is physical/special. I won't be implementing every Gen IV and V move, but I'll implement every move possible without asm. I've gone through all the new attacks and made a list of all possible moves that I can add, so there will be 129 new moves. Also some attacks might be very slightly different in order to compensate for something, such as Roost having less PP because you can't remove the flying type in Gen III without asm...

In the Sideshowcase, I've posted a patch for Ruby on the physical/special split, but the thread hasn't been approved yet.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I know, right? The lack of interest in these 2 patches and my own FR 649 Patch is criminal at times. Myself and Chaos Rush put a lot of time and effort into these patches (mines is downloadable - but buggy). Still, good things come to those who wait, and eventually, the patches will start to gain followers.

@Chaos Rush - I don't have the offset handy, but when I get home from work, I'll pass it on. I only have FR's offset, but as you suggested you could work with that.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I know, right? The lack of interest in these 2 patches and my own FR 649 Patch is criminal at times. Myself and Chaos Rush put a lot of time and effort into these patches (mines is downloadable - but buggy). Still, good things come to those who wait, and eventually, the patches will start to gain followers.
I think it's simply because both of our patches aren't complete, so people won't be that interested until they're usable. Yours is in a beta stage, while I don't even have anything released besides the physical/special split thing in the Sideshowcase, which doesn't contain any new moves or Pokemon.

@Chaos Rush - I don't have the offset handy, but when I get home from work, I'll pass it on. I only have FR's offset, but as you suggested you could work with that.
Yes, that would be wonderful. A while ago I found a tool that can turn an offset into a pointer, and it can turn a pointer into an offset. So FireRed's animation table offset will do, because then I can just go to the offset of the first one listed in the table in FireRed, then search for the same bytes on Ruby, then re-calculate what the pointer should be according to where it is on Ruby, then it should take me straight to the table on Ruby. I used a very similar method when using your tutorial to add more moves, since yours was for FireRed. Also Darthatron's physical/special split was for Emerald, but I used a similar byte searching method to replicate it on Ruby.

Oh and btw the Emerald patch has been canceled, I'm now working exclusively on Ruby.
EDIT: (and a mod should change the 493 in the title to 649 :P)

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Oh and btw the Emerald patch has been canceled, I'm now working exclusively on Ruby.
EDIT: (and a mod should change the 493 in the title to 649 :P)

That's a shame - but perfectly understandable. Emerald is difficult to work with at the best of times, so adding a bunch of extra Pokémon wouldn't exactly be the easiest job, would it?

Anyway, the offset I promised you is this:
0x1C68F4

This is a pointer to a table of pointers in FR. The pointers point to a script of sorts. This script is what will be shared between the versions. You can use those scripts to backtrack to the pointer in your ROM. Apologies for not answering your query in the actual thread, but I genuinely hadn't noticed it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
That's a shame - but perfectly understandable. Emerald is difficult to work with at the best of times, so adding a bunch of extra Pokémon wouldn't exactly be the easiest job, would it?

Anyway, the offset I promised you is this:
0x1C68F4

This is a pointer to a table of pointers in FR. The pointers point to a script of sorts. This script is what will be shared between the versions. You can use those scripts to backtrack to the pointer in your ROM. Apologies for not answering your query in the actual thread, but I genuinely hadn't noticed it.
Thank you so much, I found the Ruby offset for the table, which ended up being 0x1C7168.

EDIT:
91266137.png
30620271.png
14409464.png
97841229.png
70032311.png

Using Volt Tackle as Fusion Bolt's placeholder animation = Best. Idea. Ever.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I have all placeholder animations set for the 129 new moves, and I chose "fitting" animations.

56007059.png
27618768.png
88812541.png
47828330.png
64834404.png
93211605.png
17390380i.png
23113027.png
53168007.png
99113930.png
82334758.png
69054780.png

Animations I chose:
Spoiler:

I also put in all the move data for the 4th Gen moves, but I haven't started on 5th Gen moves yet because it was getting really boring and tedious, but I'll resume tomorrow (or soon). Besides, I already have the animations set for then 5th Gen moves anyways.

There are a total of 129 moves added. Most from 4th Gen, a lot from 5th Gen. Basically I added the ones that are possible to add without ASM, such as Dragon Pulse, but I didn't add impossible moves like Guard Swap.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Do you know how to actually change the animations?
Yes and no. I could easily change the pointers of the new moves to a custom animation script. But, I don't know how to make a custom animation script, but I think Jambo51 and Gamer2020 are working on a battle script editor.

Of course the final version will have custom animations, these are just placeholders. (but I think using Featherdance for Roost turned out quite nicely :P)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back