• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your thoughts on Pokéballism

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
As you may know (I've mentioned this quite a few times), Pokémon Trainers catch Pokémon in Pokéballs and take them on a Pokémon Journey and do all things Pokémon.
Imagine a Pokémon, living happily in the wild, having her own dreams and goals, playing with her friends, participating in forest gatherings and having her own little world to live in. Now, a good hearty Pokémon Trainer steps in and battles her. He almost defeats her, then confines her into a little ball. After this the trainer continues on his journey with the Pokémon in the ball, and sending her out occasionally to battle other Pokémon (sometimes even her own kin) and forcibly train her. After this he takes her along for a beautiful Pokémon journey... except, only the trainer sees it beautiful. The Pokémon sits in the Pokéball all day and occasionally comes out to battle other Pokémon... and likes the trainer. Ouch. After some time, he finds a suitable replacement for her, and doesn't want her anymore. Then he proceeds to stuff her into a virtual storage machine and let her rot for a long time.

What the heck is this about, eh? Call this Pokémon bonding with the trainer if you will, it's still a touch on the rough side. Consider what would happen if he didn't box her...

He takes this Pokémon along to beat gyms and the Pokémon League. She gets her photo taken for a Hall of Fame, after which only the trainer gets proper recognition.

Ouch. Considering the Pokémon World as a little more than fantasy, what are your thoughts on this? What kind of a system would you prefer instead?

Keeping in mind that Pokémon comes from Pocket Monsters, which suggest Monsters kept in pockets throught the liberal use of Pokéballs.

Let's see forth a discussion.

Last edited:

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
I assume everyone remembers Oak's landscape where Ash and Gary's Pokémons go whenever they transport them, right?

I'd rather have my own landscape where my Pokémon can live freely and where they are comfortable. I'd feel better that way instead of keeping them all in a stuffy computer.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
Interesting discussion you have here :) It sounds like it could become a bit PETA-ish though.....

I'm still trying to decide whether or not I like the idea and if it's ethical at all for Pokemon to be stuffed in a ball. I know there's theories about what the inside of a Pokeball is like for the mons, but I think the anime sums it up with this:
czWysNS.png

If that's what they're subjected to I don't think I want to catch Pokemon anymore. No wonder Pikachu is "afraid" (as Ash calls it) of going into a Pokeball....

Seeing as I've been watching the first few episodes of the anime recently enough, I want to draw on some of that for my opinions, not to mention a few comics I've seen...

He almost defeats her, then confines her into a little ball.
After this the trainer continues on his journey with the Pokémon in the ball, and sending her out occasionally to battle other Pokémon (sometimes even her own kin) and forcibly train her.
It's brought up in the games that "Tame", trained Pokemon are stronger than wild Pokemon, thus wild Pokemon can become jealous of trainer-owned Pokemon. That would suggest that Pokemon want to be caught and trained, to an extent. That being the case, does this mean it's an inherent desire for Pokemon to be captured and trained?

After this he takes her along for a beautiful Pokémon journey... except, only the trainer sees it beautiful. The Pokémon sits in the Pokéball all day and occasionally comes out to battle other Pokémon... and likes the trainer. Ouch. After some time, he finds a suitable replacement for her, and doesn't want her anymore. Then he proceeds to stuff her into a virtual storage machine and let her rot for a long time.
. It makes me sad :( I'd prefer to think that if it were real world the Pokemon wouldn't be stored in a "virtual storage machine", as you call it, but rather they get adopted or kept in a daycare type of setting or something. Like the Squirtle Squad, I also think Pokemon might be used in modern society for the benefit of everyone :)

What the heck is this about, eh? Call this Pokémon bonding with the trainer if you will, it's still a touch on the rough side. Consider what would happen if he didn't box her...

He takes this Pokémon along to beat gyms and the Pokémon League. She gets her photo taken for a Hall of Fame, after which only the trainer gets proper recognition.
Look at it this way though: Imagine Pokemon competing as being like dogs competing in a dog show (I don't want to say fighting because that's just mean). Dogs do it because their owner brings them to it to compete. If they win, the get a useless ribbon. I would see the novelty for dogs being the "Yippee I'm out of the house!!!!" thing, not the "I'm gonna compete and win". Maybe Pokemon are the same?

On another note: What use do Pokemon get out of material trinkets like a trophy or something for their valour?

Consider too that without a trainer to properly direct them in their training and care, I doubt any Pokemon would even come close to being strong enough to battle the Elite Four. I think if the trainer has taken the Pokemon this far and there's a mutual relationship between them, the Pokemon want to do their best for their trainer.

Also: If Pokemon really didn't want to go into Pokeballs I don't really think you could force them..

This though is pretty sad comic:
Spoiler:

I may have more later... just need to really decide on my proper standpoint in this matter :)

Years
Inside of a Pokeball is said to replicate/simulate a friendly environment for Pokemon, so I guess we don't really have to worry. They probably know what's going on outside their Pokeball as well.

DarkEmeraldRarity

Love-Crazy and Music Mad
Years
I like the idea of Bonding with my critters,but one thing bugs me about it,are they still able to think I mean,they turn into energy

Years
Spoiler:

Actually, I've always figured that boxed Pokemon end up like Ash's in the anime- going to live with one of the professors rather than being condemned to digital storage. And if Pokemon are converted to energy in Poke Balls rather than being stuck in a small sphere like that picture CliCliW showed, I imagine it to be no different than being asleep while in there.

Mia Mew

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 28, 2013
I don't like thinking of the Pokeballs or storage system as being particularly bad places to be, but then again, it would make me too sad to think my precious Pokemon are being neglected. (iДi)

My personal theory is that the Pokeball represents the ideal habitat for the Pokemon inside of it. For example, a Gyarados would have an ocean environment in the Pokeball. A luxury ball would just take the environment and make it fancier. Like, a Blaziken may be in a volcano type habitat but also have a mini dojo to satisfy it being part fighting. A regular Pokeball would be like the equivalent of a house for us - it would have what we need to stay satisfied, and a luxury ball would be like a mansion, having everything we need and more.

I see the storage boxes as being similar to a daycare, except without the EXP gain. That's why I can never only have one Pokemon in a box - I'm afraid it'll get lonely! Someone else mentioned it being like it was in the anime and that works too.

I know, I really over thought this, but I guess it goes to show I get a little too emotionally involved. This theory just makes me feel a lot better about the admittedly screwed up concept behind Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I have learned from the many sources and games that Ihave nothing to feel sad or guilty of.

First off, I feel that Pokemon want to be caught. They approach the trainer, challenge it to a battle, and if the Pokemon submits to the trainer, it allows itself to be caught. Everything in the 5 gens of games show that Pokemon become friendlier as they accompany the trainer. Many times, the characters explain that the Pokemon can not only see, hear, and understand what's going on outside the Pokeballs, but trainers can also see inside.

One thing that is debatable is the PC boxes. Although I am convinced that they are free in the PC boxes, like a huge Pokeball for all your caught Pokemon, I find it odd how the Pokemonn loses all affection for you when you drop them off. But at the same time, if the Pokemon does not like you, putting it in the PC cancels it's hatred toward you too. Sometimes I think the PC boxes erases the Pokemon's memory, thus resets the affection or hatred towards the trainer.

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
Years
I've heard a theory that "the Pokeballs contain some sort of Pokemajigger" (I'm quoting directly) that brainwashed the Pokemon into fighting for their trainer and always being loyal. Of course, that gets thrown out the window when you watch the anime unless some Pokemon are REALLY tolerant.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Interesting discussion you have here :) It sounds like it could become a bit PETA-ish though.....

I'm still trying to decide whether or not I like the idea and if it's ethical at all for Pokemon to be stuffed in a ball. I know there's theories about what the inside of a Pokeball is like for the mons, but I think the anime sums it up with this:
czWysNS.png

If that's what they're subjected to I don't think I want to catch Pokemon anymore. No wonder Pikachu is "afraid" (as Ash calls it) of going into a Pokeball....

Seeing as I've been watching the first few episodes of the anime recently enough, I want to draw on some of that for my opinions, not to mention a few comics I've seen...

It's brought up in the games that "Tame", trained Pokemon are stronger than wild Pokemon, thus wild Pokemon can become jealous of trainer-owned Pokemon. That would suggest that Pokemon want to be caught and trained, to an extent. That being the case, does this mean it's an inherent desire for Pokemon to be captured and trained?

. It makes me sad :( I'd prefer to think that if it were real world the Pokemon wouldn't be stored in a "virtual storage machine", as you call it, but rather they get adopted or kept in a daycare type of setting or something. Like the Squirtle Squad, I also think Pokemon might be used in modern society for the benefit of everyone :)

Look at it this way though: Imagine Pokemon competing as being like dogs competing in a dog show (I don't want to say fighting because that's just mean). Dogs do it because their owner brings them to it to compete. If they win, the get a useless ribbon. I would see the novelty for dogs being the "Yippee I'm out of the house!!!!" thing, not the "I'm gonna compete and win". Maybe Pokemon are the same?

On another note: What use do Pokemon get out of material trinkets like a trophy or something for their valour?

Consider too that without a trainer to properly direct them in their training and care, I doubt any Pokemon would even come close to being strong enough to battle the Elite Four. I think if the trainer has taken the Pokemon this far and there's a mutual relationship between them, the Pokemon want to do their best for their trainer.

Also: If Pokemon really didn't want to go into Pokeballs I don't really think you could force them..

This though is pretty sad comic:
Spoiler:

I may have more later... just need to really decide on my proper standpoint in this matter :)

I see what you mean. It's not nice to have it purely one-sided, I suppose. Some Pokémon (this is most seen in the anime) do have a coherent interest for battling with the trainers; I suppose it's about appreciating their nature and how easily they get used to a major change in their life. I should give respect for them for that, I wouldn't like to be put into a ball suddenly and be dragged along a more dynamic life.

Inside of a Pokeball is said to replicate/simulate a friendly environment for Pokemon, so I guess we don't really have to worry. They probably know what's going on outside their Pokeball as well.

Well, the only problem is the Pokéballs don't seem to link with each other, so it can be supposed they are living in a lone utopia where only the Pokémon seems to be the prominent life form. I don't suppose they feel lonely? But with that consent, I do agree that our worries can be reduced considerably.

Spoiler:

Actually, I've always figured that boxed Pokemon end up like Ash's in the anime- going to live with one of the professors rather than being condemned to digital storage. And if Pokemon are converted to energy in Poke Balls rather than being stuck in a small sphere like that picture CliCliW showed, I imagine it to be no different than being asleep while in there.

Sadly, Professors in the games are not so kind enough to even mention that they are raising our Pokémon. I do think that Professors raising the unneeded Pokémon is a tad bit better, but still they ARE unneeded, right? Yeah, that's true. At least in the anime Ash constantly sends them out for having fun, eating food, and sleeping, so it seems like a mini-camp for them.

I don't like thinking of the Pokeballs or storage system as being particularly bad places to be, but then again, it would make me too sad to think my precious Pokemon are being neglected. (iДi)

My personal theory is that the Pokeball represents the ideal habitat for the Pokemon inside of it. For example, a Gyarados would have an ocean environment in the Pokeball. A luxury ball would just take the environment and make it fancier. Like, a Blaziken may be in a volcano type habitat but also have a mini dojo to satisfy it being part fighting. A regular Pokeball would be like the equivalent of a house for us - it would have what we need to stay satisfied, and a luxury ball would be like a mansion, having everything we need and more.

I see the storage boxes as being similar to a daycare, except without the EXP gain. That's why I can never only have one Pokemon in a box - I'm afraid it'll get lonely! Someone else mentioned it being like it was in the anime and that works too.

I know, I really over thought this, but I guess it goes to show I get a little too emotionally involved. This theory just makes me feel a lot better about the admittedly screwed up concept behind Pokemon.

The only thing; like I mentioned before; is that no creature would like to live in a dream world all by itself. Even we need the people around us to live, don't we? It's a very ethical concept, and that. But your fantasy does seem interesting, especially the Luxury Ball part. Yeah Brendino made a pretty good suggestion about the stored Pokémon being actually taken care of by professors for us.

I have learned from the many sources and games that Ihave nothing to feel sad or guilty of.

First off, I feel that Pokemon want to be caught. They approach the trainer, challenge it to a battle, and if the Pokemon submits to the trainer, it allows itself to be caught. Everything in the 5 gens of games show that Pokemon become friendlier as they accompany the trainer. Many times, the characters explain that the Pokemon can not only see, hear, and understand what's going on outside the Pokeballs, but trainers can also see inside.

One thing that is debatable is the PC boxes. Although I am convinced that they are free in the PC boxes, like a huge Pokeball for all your caught Pokemon, I find it odd how the Pokemonn loses all affection for you when you drop them off. But at the same time, if the Pokemon does not like you, putting it in the PC cancels it's hatred toward you too. Sometimes I think the PC boxes erases the Pokemon's memory, thus resets the affection or hatred towards the trainer.

Interesting way of putting things. One thing that can be said is that Pokémon wouldn't exactly "want" to be caught, rather they would fancy the idea to be caught. Maintaining a cute little face throughout the day inside a ball does seem to be taxing sooo... if they manage to see what's outside, I don't think they will see much more than the interior of a pocket, because unless they are somebody like Luxray they don't have X-ray vision; but this is more practical than ethical, I suppose. If PC boxes work in the way you suggest, that means they are directly manipulating Pokémon. They are important life-forms too, in fact they do everything to bring us glory. That's a good point, though.

I've heard a theory that "the Pokeballs contain some sort of Pokemajigger" (I'm quoting directly) that brainwashed the Pokemon into fighting for their trainer and always being loyal. Of course, that gets thrown out the window when you watch the anime unless some Pokemon are REALLY tolerant.

Oh yes, that's where the ironical term "slaves" is more appropriate. We've had a whole game (BW) that expressed the feelings of the whole ethical animal cruelty business, but unfortunately the story ended in such a way that Trainers still used Pokémon and the whole thing was left undisturbed. True, Ghetsis's true intentions were not Pokémon liberalism, but N's was.

There has been suggestions of a war between humans and Pokémon long ago, so this whole system is not so stable methinks. Let's just hope for a better devised mechanic on a later franchise that might solve all our problems.

Years
Well, the only problem is the Pokéballs don't seem to link with each other, so it can be supposed they are living in a lone utopia where only the Pokémon seems to be the prominent life form. I don't suppose they feel lonely? But with that consent, I do agree that our worries can be reduced considerably.

I guess Pokeball simulates positive "feelings" for the Pokemon inside. I don't know, Some things you just can't explain, especially if it has to do with a fictional world.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
And this is why I don't really like the way Pokémon games have been. For all the text in the game that says "oh you two are bonding", in a real world setting, I wouldn't buy that for a nickel.

It's easier to feel less beside yourself if you assume Pokémon aren't very smart and are as dumb as any old creature, and way easier if you go the "it's a game" route. Frankly, I'd rather people chose the latter stance. It's hand wavy as all get out, but it's acceptably so, and I like simple solutions.

Problem is, Pokémon aren't common animals. They're part of a greater subset of creatures we only know as pocket monsters. As such, to assume that their thought processes are little more developed than your average household pet seems to be insulting to all parties involved. Time and again, the series has shown these creatures to be sapient (yes, I'm using the right term). I feel like at your absolute dumbest you might have a Pokémon like Slowpoke, or someone who doesn't really move like Shedinja, and even then I'd still say at least Slowpoke is partially autonomous.

The intelligence of Pokémon can really only be measured within their own species. Rattata isn't as smart as Dragonite or Alakazam, but being capable of complex thought, judgment, showing emotions and having more of a free will still puts Rattata miles ahead of whatever living non-human animal you can come up with. Thinking about it some more, the less capable Pokémon are probably about as intelligent as a human infant, and may not develop past that point, but it's still something.

Also, if Pokémon could speak in the human language, they probably would. Shoot, they can if they feel it's worth the trouble, but the vast majority don't bother, because they seem to understand the human language fine by and large. If anyone is doing the misinterpreting, it's the human species.

That out the way, and what with that scenario the OP posted playing out how I see, unfortunately, a good portion of captures, it's why I've probably ruined the series for myself. I've spent too much time thinking about the series from the Pokémon's side. What will fix this, though, is some sort of evidence that the Pokémon in the games are actually being treated well and don't just exist to be a cute looking gun. In the anime, I can buy it. Ash, despite his flaws, really treats his Pokémon well, as he sees them more as equals, moreso now than in the very beginning. The idea behind the series is that Pokémon should be your friends. Not necessarily pets, weapons or other boosts to human conceit.

Unless the Pokémon wanted to be captured and trained, and it's been shown that some do, I'd hope the trainer would at least pretend to try develop an actual friendship with it and not just bark orders at it and give it the occasional treat. That's a wonderful way of treating a creature who was minding its own business and most likely just defending itself. Maybe it had kids to get back to as well, I dunno.

This is in part why the Pokemon-amie amazes me as a concept. Perhaps now trainers can put their money where their mouth is. Annoying as it could be, if the game forces you to at least pay some attention to your 'mons so they perform better or certain attacks, I'd say that's a fair trade off. Battling in and of itself cannot be the only road to happiness, realistically. That's like saying everyone wants to be a boxer.

More on topic, I don't really care for Pokeballs overall, but I see the necessity. If you have a small Pokémon who's in danger and can't run fast or is frail and, I dunno, a rock slide just happens to start, protecting its life by retrieving it into the Pokeball would speak volumes, I'd say. Also, if they're weary and you can carry on, same thing. You can't carry all of them on your shoulders, especially if they're bigger and heavier. I don't know what's inside them, either, but even if it is like a holodeck experience, I feel like it would seem empty after a while, unless that Pokémon is just detached from reality.

But it's just a game. :P

Also, I need to stop replying to these topics. Last thing a Pokémon forum needs is Captain Bringdown. :D

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Not really going to reply to the topic (this is exactly the reason why I detest most Pokemon fans) but I will contribute a question that would either help or lessen the Pokemon trainer's case (game-wise, at least).

Have you ever seen the player talk?

Anime or manga-wise, this topic is irrelevant.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
The anime makes more sense in this regard. Ash usually bonds with a lonely pokemon, or one in need of rescue. Tracey catches an Elderly Scyther about to be killed to be come the new alpha male. Some pokemon are better off with humans.

No one in the show captures many pokemon.

The video game is a game. It games choices based on Game Design, not fantasy world logic. Just roll the dice and play the game.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I want them to walk behind me again, koff~

I think SS and HG did that perfectly. I also think some kind of 'boarding' system would be nice to have where your pokemon can roam about and find little extras while you're away for a small fee would be great, koffi~

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
In Diamond/Pearl Canalave's Library, I believe there's a book, telling the story of why pokemon encounter trainers is because they want to befriend them. I believe in this story that pokemon in tall grass have the choice of whether or not they want to battle a trainer.

The fact that pokemon run away after they faint is the only issue I have with this myth which I would otherwise want to believe.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2014
Has anyone actually played PETA's knockoff game? It's on their website I think and is free. The idea is that they support Team Plasma in their campaign to liberate Pokemon. What PETA didn't realise is that Team Plasma KIDNAP Pokemon from children and that Ghetsis is a member, yet they portray him as someone who skins pokemon for their meat and furs. Wait, what?

Back