• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: Pokémon DarkViolet (Full Version Released)

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
Spoiler:

I tacked together some guesses for new move animations. I'm not entirely up to snuff on the limitations of move hacking so some of these may not be possible.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I tacked together some guesses for new move animations. I'm not entirely up to snuff on the limitations of move hacking so some of these may not be possible.
lol the only ones you guessed correctly are Nasty Plot, Psycho Cut, and Leaf Tornado :P and possibly Discharge. The move expansion was the first thing I worked on this hack, and I did all of them during September & October, so I don't really remember most of them. Also keep in mind that I made quite a few custom backgrounds, for instance, for Bullet Punch I simply used Mach Punch but with a custom steel background. Here are all of the backgrounds I've inserted:
28-1.png
29-1.png
30-1.png
31-1.png
32.png
33.png
34.png
35.png
36.png
37.png
38.png
39.png
40.png
41.png
42.png
43.png
44.png

The ones with the Combee swarm and the blue and pink backgrounds right after that are in the ROM, but they won't be available in-game, because the Combee one is specifically for Attack Order, Heal Order, and Defend Order, and Vespiquen won't be in the game. The blue one is specifically for Roar of Time, and the pink one is specifically for Spacial Rend, but Dialga & Palkia won't be in the game either. The reason why I put in backgrounds that won't be available in-game is because DarkViolet is based off of this ROM base I made that has all these moves, and I plan on making sequels/sidequels to DarkViolet, and one of them will have Pokemon such as Vespiquen, Dialga, and Palkia.

Also the second background won't be available in DarkViolet because its part of Aeroblast's new animation, and Lugia won't be in DarkViolet. But Lugia will definitely be in the planned sequel (DarkCrystal), so you'll be able to see the new Aeroblast there :)

Years
I would stick with no 16 for Flare Blitz and no. 4 for Overheat if I were u, and I gotta say, this hack is nothing short of awesome. Great story, great backgrounds (first time I have ever seen a hack like this) and awesome expectations. I suspect a possible winner for the Hack of the Year. Good luck bro, your gonna hit this out of the park by the way your going right now ;)

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
lol the only ones you guessed correctly are Nasty Plot, Psycho Cut, and Leaf Tornado :P and possibly Discharge. The move expansion was the first thing I worked on this hack, and I did all of them during September & October, so I don't really remember most of them. Also keep in mind that I made quite a few custom backgrounds, for instance, for Bullet Punch I simply used Mach Punch but with a custom steel background.

I really love the backgrounds. Curious how did you make the backgrounds such as the fire and dragon ones? Did you draw it all by hand because that's just simply amazing.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I really love the backgrounds. Curious how did you make the backgrounds such as the fire and dragon ones? Did you draw it all by hand because that's just simply amazing.
The ones I drew by hand was the Aeroblast background, and the "extreme water" background (NOT THE WATERFALL).

The rest I didn't draw by hand. Most of them were made like this:
1. go to Google Images and type in "seamless _____ background" (such as seamless fire background)
2. Using Gimp, edit the background to my liking
3. Resize it to 128x128
4. Index it to 16 colors with Irfanview
5. Since the Ghost-type background that's already in-game uses a 128x128 background, I don't have to make a custom tilemap, I just have the custom backgrounds use the tilemap of the Ghost background.
6. Insert the indexed backgrounds into free space with unLZ
7. Using a hex editor, manually edit the background table (that I repointed and extended) and type in the correct pointers by hand. (this was really annoying and took forever, but it was so worth it)
8. Within the attack animations, have the background command use one of the new entries

However, a several of them required custom tilemaps. Those ones were:
1. the Waterfall BG
2. the Aeroblast BG
3. the "grass type" BG
4. the "extreme water" BG
5. the Wind Shatter BG

As for the Attack Order/Heal Order/Defend Order background (the one with a bunch of Combees), I just got a picture of Combee from Bulbapedia and then resized it, and the arranged it in away so that it can be repeated seamlessly, and indexed + resized it, then inserted it.

In case it isn't obvious, the Waterfall and "grass type" BGs are from D/P/Pt/HG/SS.

EDIT: https://www.google.com/search?q=sea...Q&biw=1366&bih=664&sei=vqniUJ3GE5T3qQGX54GYAw

Look at the first result. Seem familiar? XD

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
The rest I didn't draw by hand. Most of them were made like this:
1. go to Google Images and type in "seamless _____ background" (such as seamless fire background)
2. Using Gimp, edit the background to my liking
3. Resize it to 128x128
4. Index it to 16 colors with Irfanview
5. Since the Ghost-type background that's already in-game uses a 128x128 background, I don't have to make a custom tilemap, I just have the custom backgrounds use the tilemap of the Ghost background.
6. Insert the indexed backgrounds into free space with unLZ
7. Using a hex editor, manually edit the background table (that I repointed and extended) and type in the correct pointers by hand. (this was really annoying and took forever, but it was so worth it)
8. Within the attack animations, have the background command use one of the new entries

Lol that's really good to know because I was like dang he must be a really talented artist. Curious is the raging water BG public since you did post your tilemap on a different thread to try as an example.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
The R/S/E style tiles with a slight 4th Gen look, are nice, the palletes as well. I'm sure the only reason people thought R/S/E tiles looked kinda bad were the palletes. Grapjically, I'm impressed with everything you've done so far! It's nice to see you're doing your own canon, something a lot of people wouldn't attempt. The only odditiy I noticed graphic-wise is Red's hair is dark gray-black in the front sprite and the the back has brown. But, that's more of a nitpick than anything else. Can't wait to see this come out!

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2017
This hack is not getting the hype it ****ing deserves. From what the screenies show, its graphical appeal is much, much, much better than Light Platinum itself.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Here's a present for you guys! Alpha 1!

This alpha contains these areas:
Pallet Town
Route 1
Viridian City
Route 2
Route 22
Viridian Forest

The following Pokémon are obtainable in this Alpha:
Spoiler:

Also, please note, Green's running sprites have not yet been inserted, so I would prefer you to play as Red for now.

I realized that I haven't posted pics of Viridian Forest yet, so here's one:
10r08j5.png

Here is the download:
http://www.speedyshare.com/EP6GA/DarkVioletFixedAlpha.ips

Last edited:

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
This Alpha's just awesome. I really liked it. Great work, Chaos Rush. ;) Best of luck too.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Just played through the whole thing.
LOVE IT LOVE LOOOOOVE IT!

This hack is even more amazing than i thought it would be, and that's just the alpha.
Regardless, I was bored : http://youtu.be/lMaDD155mP8
So I recorded myself playing through the whole thing.

You've no idea how long it took to upload....

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Just played through the whole thing.
LOVE IT LOVE LOOOOOVE IT!

This hack is even more amazing than i thought it would be, and that's just the alpha.
Regardless, I was bored : http://youtu.be/lMaDD155mP8
So I recorded myself playing through the whole thing.

You've no idea how long it took to upload....
I'm glad you enjoyed the alpha, and even played through the whole thing.

But more importantly, thank God you uploaded that video! You pointed out a very serious oversight! Because you lost to your rival on Route 22, I forgot to reset the battle tracks because it only resets it if you win. I can't believe you went through all of Viridian Forest with that rival battle music! I don't think you even got to hear the standard trainer music!

Anyways, here is a fixed patch that should take care of that issue:

Nintendork15, please re-download, cause you need to hear the standard battle music too XD

Last edited:

timson733333

Woah.
Years
Playing through the Alpha, and I noticed a typo- Professor Oak mentions "Virdian City" instead of "Viridian City" after you get your first Pokemon. Looks good so far.

Edit: The Pokemon Center graphics are a little messed up. If you look closely to the left or right, depending on which direction you're walking, you can sometimes see little bits of tiles flash briefly onto the screen.

Also, Green's running sprites are messed up (possibly not finished yet?)

Second edit: I don't know if it's because of the gender (I chose to play as a girl just to derp around,) but whenever I pass the ledges on Route 2, the game crashes.

Yet another edit: I can get past the ledges now, but only after I beat Blue on Route 22.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Anyone who's already downloaded the alpha, please re-download it because I've fixed a major glitch that happens if you lose to your rival on Route 22.

Edit: The Pokemon Center graphics are a little messed up. If you look closely to the left or right, depending on which direction you're walking, you can sometimes see little bits of tiles flash briefly onto the screen.
That happens in the original FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald, and its barely noticeable.

Also, Green's running sprites are messed up (possibly not finished yet?)
I already addressed this on this very page:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush
Also, please note, Green's running sprites have not yet been inserted, so I would prefer you to play as Red for now.

Second edit: I don't know if it's because of the gender (I chose to play as a girl just to derp around,) but whenever I pass the ledges on Route 2, the game crashes.

Yet another edit: I can get past the ledges now, but only after I beat Blue on Route 22.
Drat. I know what's causing that, I forgot to include a release command for the battle music fix thing.

Try this instead:

If you've already downloaded before I posted this current post, please download again. I just did a quick test, and finally everything is working as it should, music-wise.

EDIT: also guys, if you want to see some new/custom moves, use that "special prize" at the end of the alpha to your advantage.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Pardon the use of Green here, but I can deal with borked running graphics so I played as her anyway. Also while this was the first alpha you put out, I played without sound and didn't run into any game-crashing bugs, which seems to be what you were fixing.

Wall of text:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Pardon the use of Green here, but I can deal with borked running graphics so I played as her anyway. Also while this was the first alpha you put out, I played without sound and didn't run into any game-crashing bugs, which seems to be what you were fixing.
Thank you for playing this! It's a shame you didn't play with sound though - I put a lot of effort into the custom music in this game, I would appreciate it if you play through it again with sound.

YUhMs.png

I'm aware that all the female protagonists are very thin but this sprite makes her look like more of a toothpick than the normal one :/
Now that you point that out, her mid section does look a bit too thin. I will address that in Beta 1.

Ek3mb.png

Terminator got trampled here and this fellow spits out some garbage after his dialogue.
I already fixed that when I re-uploaded the patch.

Vpy68.png

Achievements, not ahcievements.
I will fix this for Beta 1, thanks for pointing it out.

aDlDo.png

This looks a bit awkward- one question mark would probably do.
It doesn't bother me, because the modern Pokemon games do this sometimes.

Ghetsis in Black/White: "I AM PERFECTION!!!"
(yes, with three exclamation marks, in an official Pokemon game)

DMswO.png

This might be intentional but this phrasing is very inorganic and certainly not what he means to say- taken literally he's saying that his pokemon is stronger than Green's guy's pokemon, but not necessarily her own. "Both of your pokemon" would work.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will change that.

D4PFf.png

I don't know what to say about this other than that it looks absolutely ridiculous- it's funny, but more in the "Does he seriously expect us to take this game seriously?" way. It's also horribly forced and makes Red sound like a complete ass, which is something his other lines aren't helping with either.
Since Blue acts like an ass to Red and Green, I think its okay for Red and Green to act like an ass to Blue as well, since they're nice to the player.

Also, I hope that losing these rival battles doesn't result in a white-out. They depend heavily on luck with IVs and crits as there is no place to grind or catch anything else and only one Potion available (that I found anyway).
They do result in a white-out, because I didn't want Oak's stupid battle commentary. And they're not hard at all, there's a reason why each starter Pokemon gets two moves to begin with. Growl and Tail Whip are actually very helpful in these battles, speaking from experience.

ZolCe.png

[10:29:38 PM] Sentient Mop: god that battle window
[10:29:42 PM] Sentient Mop: he should lighten it up a bit
[10:29:47 PM] Sentient Mop: it's a really stark contrast
[10:29:55 PM] Sentient Mop: THAT'S a proper opinion
[10:30:05 PM] Sentient Mop: (but seriously it's really jarring (worry) )
[10:30:09 PM] Jade: it should be a dark violet colour

I'm not one to ask about aesthetics but most of the people I've shown this hack to aren't terribly fond of this :/
I'm afraid this will never change. The colors are exactly the same as in Pokemon Platinum, and the design is modeled after Pokemon Platinum, and I really like how it looks, so I wont change it.

Unless they were talking about the text box, I'm not going to change that either because people were fine with FR/LG's dark text box, and I think my dark text box looks freaking awesome. However, I will admit I darkened it a bit from FR/LG, I might lighten it back up, or even use R/S/E colors.

mVDA4.png

I'm assuming you just haven't gotten around to it but I'd put the icon hack in, since I can tell you from experience it's easy to mess up and give a physical/special move the wrong classification and not know about it for a while.
You are correct, I havent put the icon hack in yet. But last time I checked, there's a minor glitch involving it, which is why I haven't put it in yet. Even if it doesn't get fixed, I will put it in for Beta 1 regardless of the minor graphic glitch it causes.

yktBf.png

I really don't like the free and infinite healing items here, along with the 10 potions being given for free- it doesn't help that they're practically required in the early trainer fights if you're unlucky with crits. Most people, to my knowledge, don't enter Viridian for the second time ready to fight two level 5s and a level 7 mon- they arrive with their starter and one or two freshly caught mons. Maybe you could push the Rockets to the north side of town so the Pokemon Center would be reachable?
Originally, I had the Berry tree on Route 1 gave you one Oran Berry. I changed it to three because of these early Viridian battles. Same reason why I had the Poke Mart guy give you ten freaking Potions, because of the Rocket battles.

Moving the event to the top of the city is not a bad idea however, since it would allow us to use some Pokemon from Route 22 in the fights. I may consider it.

RU5g8.png

I'm going to assume these prices being unedited was an oversight as they render Antidotes and Paralyz Heals completely redundant, not to mention that having Premier Balls on sale for $200 destroys their novelty value.
Actually, the reason why I had him sell these berries is because Antidotes and Paralyz Heals aren't available at all, because I changed the Poke Mart item system to how its like in Black/White/Black 2/White 2. You can't buy Antidotes or Paralyz Heals until you get 1 Badge in B/W/B2/W2, same with DarkViolet. But because of Viridian Forest and its Thunder-Waving-Pichu's and Poison-Stinging-Weedles, I included these items.

As for Premier Balls, in the main games, the only way to get a Premier Ball is to buy something at a Poke Mart with at least the quantity of 10. This feature was removed in FR/LG, and I don't know how to put it back in. So I gave that guy Premier Balls, and its the only place in the whole game where you can get it.

At0mv.png

This doesn't look very comfortable. Also I'm going to be frank and say I do not like these tiles- the sideways stairs don't work well in gen 3 and the tiles to the right of where I'm standing in particular do not connect with either the stairs or the surrounding grass well.
The overlapping cliff thingy is a tile error, thanks for pointing it out. I will fix that for Beta 1.

But the tiles, they aren't changing, simply because I'm fine with how they look, and they look far more detailed than FR/LG's Viridian Forest.

FCZJP.png

I'm really questioning having Murkrow available this early- it is very much not an early-game mon.

To give you an idea of how strong it is:

WgZHz.png

This was my party at the end of the alpha. After catching the Murkrow I left the forest to heal, put an Oran on Murkrow, re-entered the forest, and made it to the end without healing it at all or using my other mons. The item you see it holding is the same Oran I gave it going into the forest- this thing eats the place alive. Making matters worse it gains 60 BP STAB at level 15, which backed by its stats means it's going to keep on being effective afterwards. It doesn't help that vanilla Honchkrow is a very good mon in-game with EVs to patch up its speed.

Some stats, assuming you haven't tweaked them:
Murkrow: 60/85/42/85/42/91
Pidgeotto: 63/60/55/50/50/71
Raticate: 55/81/60/50/70/97
Beedrill: 65/80/40/45/80/75
Butterfree: 60/45/50/80/80/70

That said I do like Murkrow as a mon- it's just a bit over-centralizing this early.
I don't see any problem with putting Murkrow in Viridian Forest because:
1) It has a 5% encounter rate, you won't be seeing it much anyway
2) It has a catch rate of 30, and thus is a lot harder to catch than the other mons in that area, few people will be using it anyway
3) If someone went through all the trouble of catching Murkrow in DarkViolet, then Murkrow better be a damn good Pokemon
4) Pokemon Diamond got away with putting Murkrows in Eterna Forest and no one complained
5) Where else would I put Murkrow, really. I mean, yeah, I could put it next to Celadon like in G/S/C, but that was only at night, and DarkViolet doesn't have a day/night system (and it never will), so it would feel weird to run into Murkrow's next to Celadon City. So putting it in the forest is a much better idea.

Murkrow is supposed to be a prize, that's why its rare, strong, and hard to catch.

Also, on no particular note, I was expecting Mom to give me something when she got up at the start of the game, and was rather disappointed when she didn't. You could probably off-load part of the pile of items Daisy gives you to her- Running Shoes in particular would be nice (:
I may consider it, playing through it did felt kinda weird when Mom doesn't give you anything. But no Pokemon game gives you Running Shoes right off the bat, you have to play for a bit.

But seeing as this is my re-invention of Pokemon, I may change that rule :)

Having said all of this, it's nice to see a hack dabbling with moves and changing the core game around.
Thank you, and I appreciate you playing through this. I strongly recommend playing through it with sound however, because there's a crapload of custom music that I put a lot of effort into.

Here's a list of all of the completely new songs in DarkViolet's Alpha 1:
Spoiler:

Here's a list of songs that were edited (mainly key-adjusted) from FR/LG (so far in Alpha 1):
Spoiler:

The only song in the alpha that's exactly the same as FR/LG is Viridian Forest, the "defeat wild Pokemon" theme, and the Gatehouse theme, which uses the FR/LG Mystery Gift music.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2014
I in the original on the patch,but to open the game is a white screen,What is the reason?

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
The alpha was excellent. The battle backgrounds, hp bar, and text box are all very pleasing to the eye. Not to the mention your sprites from the 64x64 project. The only real problem I have is with the tree. It looks...weird, but that's your choice. Other than that well done. :)

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Regardless, going through the Forest with the rival's theme rocked!
The trainer theme is cool too! <3

wLMod.jpg

This doesn't look right, is that suppose to happen?

Also, The Beta 1 will be eaasy as pie, now that I've got an uber team in line already x3

Back