• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Favourite and Least Favourite Pokemon

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
What were your Favourite and Least Favourite Pokemon in the original games.

I personally loved Rapdidash from Red and never new it had a horn until Yellow.

Spr_1b_078.png

Spr_1y_078.png

as you can see the horn looks like an ear, also I felt this was the coolest Pokemon back in Gen 1.

I dislikes Persian and Meowth alot though

Spr_1b_053.png
Spr_1b_052.png

They did not appeal to me.

Charmander also i disliked until my friend traded it to me in Gen II where I really liked it alot

Spr_1b_004.png
From this to this
Spr_2c_004.gif

I only really used it because I liked Charizard in Yellow
Spr_1y_004.png
= _
Spr_1y_006.png

but in Gen II I felt let down Charizard was no longer majestic and more savage which I later came to like in later Gens.

Spr_1g_006.png
Spr_1b_006.png
Spr_1y_006.png
Spr_2g_006.png
Spr_2s_006.png
Spr_2c_006.gif
Spr_3e_006.gif
Spr_3f_006.png
Spr_4d_006.png
Spr_4h_006.png
Spr_5b_006.png

^dat sprite progression

How about you guys?

Last edited:

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
Spr_1b_100.png

Like... what. It's a Pokéball. Never liked this flop or its evolution.

My favourite is so difficult to choose, so I'ma just go with my first instinct

Spr_1b_003.png

Then if we're including Gen II in this, my favourite from there is easily Houndoom.

Spr_2c_229.gif
Spr_2s_229.png
Spr_2g_229.png

Auxiliatrix

Elekid/Electabuzz was valuable in the Johto games. Also Magneton was surprisingly awesome when it got the metal typing. I enjoyed using them.

Also Poliwhirl/Poliwrath in Kanto where you could get Water Stone easily. And Kadabra! I didn't need to evolve it further because with the skew psychic types in the original games, Kadabra could plough through most of Team Rocket on its own xD

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
Ninetails:
Spr_2s_038.png

...dat tail... It's so gorgeous!

And, what I hated... Metapod:
Spr_2g_011.png

It looked better in Blue/Red/Yellow, and they just... ruined Metapod's image in this game... It bugged the crap out of me!

I mean... the face I saw in Blue/Red was changed, and that stupid diamond-shape part was showing... then I couldn't unsee it in the anime, and I was like "NO... JUST, NO!!!" >.<

I mean, it went from this:
index.php

To THIS:
art_metapod.jpg

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I strongly dislike the design of Golbat from Red and Blue. xD" It seems to be quite flat, and its mouth's absolutely gigantic. I know that Golbat is supposed to have a big-looking mouth, but in this sprite, it just doesn't look right. Also, the way that it's got its tongue sticking out makes me feel that it's in some sort of a deep, deep pain. If it was a little shorter, maybe, then it definitely would have looked better. From Red and Blue, I also dislike the Charmeleon sprite. Its arms and legs are quite chubby, and the way that its tail's laid out makes it seem as if it's a big, orange leaf. Haha.

My favorite would have to be the Starmie sprite from Pokémon Silver, as the design is pretty simplistic. Vulpix sprite from Gold would have to be one of my favorites, too. I just love how cute they made it out to look. (:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I really liked both Nidoran's, they both were designed quite well and had well balanced stats. I didn't like the look of Geodude... it looked like it didn't have any eyes, and well, just didn't look "rocky" whatsoever.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
Favorite was Jolteon

Least was Zubat because it looked crappy to me at first
There's a lot of hate to Zubat/Golbat... while I didn't really like Zubat, Golbat was hilarious! XD

I mean, look at that face:
Spr_1b_042.png

Cracks me up. XD

Last edited:
Years
Zubat should be the Spam Pokémon in the Pokédex! XD
It's really hard for me to say which is my favorite Pokémon... Charizard, Houndoum, Kingdra, Dragonair, Crobat, ...
But I guess I'll choose Crobat, I just fell in love of the scene where Brock's Golbat evolved into Crobat. ^^
My least favorite Pokémon would be... Mr. Mime, it's quiet a creepy Pokémon, and I always think of pedophilia when I see it... so creepy...

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
Koffing/Weezing, by far.

The problem isn't with their offense, or even their designs. Keeping them alive can be a serious challenge. Grimer/Muk have the opposite problem, but a well-trained Muk can be a fair tank.

Conversely my favorite is Staryu/Starmie. They get an awesome move draw, and have the stats to back it up. Also, they look cool (and, Misty - my Gen I/II Poke-crush - uses them!)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 26, 2014
Hands down gengar/hunter, my brother traded me one and i never gave it back

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
Years
Least favorite... That's hard to choose, there's not really any that I dislike! I guess it bugs me how popular Charizard is, like I dunno, it never really struck me as all that interesting or outstanding, but it's become like the Wolverine of Pokémon and I don't really get it. It's not bad, it's just... Kinda boring compared to Blastoise and Venusaur! Generation II actually has some of the strangest designs overall in my opinion, but that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Several favorites, of course, but Magneton is my guy! Gengar is pretty adorable, too! Cleffa is the bomb-diggity, and Dunsparce is way underrated! It's so bizarre, I can't not love it!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
Least favorite... That's hard to choose, there's not really any that I dislike! I guess it bugs me how popular Charizard is, like I dunno, it never really struck me as all that interesting or outstanding, but it's become like the Wolverine of Pokémon and I don't really get it. It's not bad, it's just... Kinda boring compared to Blastoise and Venusaur! Generation II actually has some of the strangest designs overall in my opinion, but that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Several favorites, of course, but Magneton is my guy! Gengar is pretty adorable, too! Cleffa is the bomb-diggity, and Dunsparce is way underrated! It's so bizarre, I can't not love it!
I don't get the Charizard thing either... but that's usually from people who don't really play Pokemon that much, or are pretending to like Pokemon to be cool by shouting "I LEIK CHARIZARD!!"

It's just lame... it's not like I find any starter more outstanding than the other either, I enjoyed them equally... I was a Blastoise/Venusaur fan because the stats were boss on them, especially Blastoise.

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
Years
I don't get the Charizard thing either... but that's usually from people who don't really play Pokemon that much, or are pretending to like Pokemon to be cool by shouting "I LEIK CHARIZARD!!"

It's just lame... it's not like I find any starter more outstanding than the other either, I enjoyed them equally... I was a Blastoise/Venusaur fan because the stats were boss on them, especially Blastoise.

Like it's not like I'm trying to be all hipster-y and "I don't like Charizard because it's popular" it's just, eh, seems like it gets way too much favoritism, especially with it receiving two Mega Evolutions... That said, fire dragons are pretty cool, but cool just isn't my thing! Let's add Blastoise to one of my favorites, too. Bulbasaur may be my starter of choice, buuut Blastoise is a mite more appealing than Venusaur, it's like a kitty cat but heavily weaponized and a turtle!

MasterCade

The Godfather of Pokemon ;)
Years
Favorite would have to be the Freddie Kruger of Gen 1 :

Kabutops i always liked his design and when leveled up he was almost invincible has always been a favorite of mine, i also like:

Venomoth, Gengar, Aerodactyl and a few more.

Disliked - Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume, Staryu/starmie and more

Years
Koffing/Weezing, by far.

The problem isn't with their offense, or even their designs. Keeping them alive can be a serious challenge. Grimer/Muk have the opposite problem, but a well-trained Muk can be a fair tank.
How dare you hate on Weezing you little besterd? :@ Weezing is pretty much a good wall to Physical attackers. (can learn Will-O-Wisp and has a high Defense)

I was hoping Dunsparce could get a Mega like Mawile did, I love that Pokémon. But sadly nothing... :-(

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
Years
My favorite and least favorite Pokemon from these gens...

Gen 1 Favorite: Nidoking or Jolteon; Nidoking, because Poison-types are awesome, and he just has so many different ways to kill his victims; Jolteon because he's Electric, and he also has insane Speed and Special Attack.

Least Favorite: Probably Voltorb/Electrode.

Gen 2 Favorite: Ampharos? Maybe?

Least Favorite: I have a good number; I tend to think Gen 2 Pokemon were rather bland. Especially the starters. I would probably say Feraligatr.

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
Years
I was hoping Dunsparce could get a Mega like Mawile did, I love that Pokémon. But sadly nothing... :-(

Preach it! It was finally that weird little bumblesnake's shot at relevance and they blew it! At least I can have peace of mind knowing I kept it on my HeartGold team all the way, from Falkner to Red... Not all that competent, but it's a cutie-patooter so who cares man

Back