• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Got You Into Pokemon?

Years
mane i cant even remember

all I remember is bein bout 8 n bein in best buy n i seen pokemon blue 4 sale i cant remmeber why i wanted it but my folks copped it 4 me

all i remmeber after that was just hours of beatin up zubats in rock tunnel

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
Years
October 3rd 1999 I received the Pokemon Yellow collectors bundle for my 5th birthday. From that point on I promised myself I would always love and play Pokemon. To this day I still love and play it. I even go back and play with Pika on Yellow in my very first Gameboy Color.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
Well when I was really little I remember watching a few Pokemon episodes but I don't think that was what really got me interested. My older brother had a GBA system with Pokemon Blue, and when I was old enough to be trusted with his precious console I was allowed to have a file! That was what got me into it! Then the next game I played was Pearl. My brother's game again, hehe.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
I feel so young since I wasn't even born when Red/Blue came out, but my mom was pregnant with me haha.
Anyways I always remember playing/watching Gold with my brother when I was like 5 or something. Then I found out my brother also owned Ruby when I was like 9 and I played that one constantly too. That was the first one I beat all by myself :P
Ever since that I'd been a huge fan of the games and also had a good amount of cards I guess.

CrowSvenson

DarkTrainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 24, 2016
Well, Grandad came back from his trip to Japan with 2 gameboys, and Japanese Red and Green. The rest is history.

Years
I was born with a golden gameboy in my hand.
Joking aside, my siblings already had the games by the time I was born, my brother was 5 when I was born so he obviously played it and I started playing as soon as I was old enough to attempt video games, whenever I started learning to read so a little before I was 5 years old myself.

Nakala Pri

My brothers were totally obsessed. They got board games, books, games, watched it on TV, bought Pokemon clothes, bought Snorlax and Charmander toys... it really was endless. But then everything changed when they started liking violent, horrible disgusting games where you can run peoples over. That's when I decided I shall be the very best.

That's basically it. Now my sister is starting to pick up on my obsession, while still liking the revolting games/movies of FF7. Yeah, I am suspecting tons of negative replies. Suck it up! >:D

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
I like telling this story, my boy gave me his SP with pokemon crystal in it to play while he went to the bathroom and then to church, let's just say he never got it back and I have been into pokemon games, toy, movies, magazines and what ever else I can find since then, I have a whole room almost filled with all of my pkemon collection.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
The anime had me interested as a Pokemon fan. I got myself interested in Generation 1 when I bought Pokemon Yellow and the Pinball version. Then I went off for several years and then came back in 2012 and bought the White version. That got me hugely interested again, and so I'm starting to watch the anime again, with a lot of new faces. ;)

Alexial

I remember Pokemon cards being a big thing a long time ago and I was immediately attracted to how shiny the holographic ones were (I was not a very complex child lol). Got the games shortly thereafter and was hooked ever since. :)

Ra'ych

Quilava-mava-quava
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 30, 2015
When I was little I became slowly addicted to the animation show on television. Then came buying cards at garage sales and then saving up and buying Pokemon Yellow and Blue at Gamestop (I remember the guy told me they were the same game, but I wanted the blue one and the one with Pikachu on it). I never had any friends to play with so the first time I started playing with anyone was when Black/White came out and I started playing with the world.

Tsurera

Sculptor
Years
Way back when, when the anime came out. I don't remember if it was that or when red & blue came out. I feel like they happened around the same time. =)

NaughtyBeaver

Pokemon Master
Years
  • Age 24
  • VA
  • Seen Dec 7, 2014
When I was 5, (8 years ago). When me and my brother got home from school. Toonami (Old Cartoon Network) would be on, and 2 shows would come on. One show called Zacht Bell (Don't remember much of it). And Pokemon. I don't remember which show it was, but I absolutely loved it. When I first got my gameboy, my first Pokemon game was Pokemon Emerald. I played that game so much. But young me wasn't as "knowledged" on the subject as I am now. So I probably had teams of the first types of Pokemon ever. Anyway, I still loved it, and still DO love it!

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2013
I think mine is one of the most unexciting ones: I simply got Red with my Gameboy when I got it for my birthday, and was hooked ever since...

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I overheard some boys at school talking about pokemon, in which they conveniently said what channel it was on and what time. I noticed it was pretty popular at my school, so one day I turned it on. The first episode I watched was Ash catching Caterpie. I liked it.

Moose

Pokemon Master,
Years
My sister had a few pikachu plushies laying around, but I never payed much attention to Pokemon until my friend Wesley mentioned them to me in kindergarten. We pretended like we had Pokemon, and I didn't know much about it at all, so he "gave" me an onix. That reminds me, I haven't talked to him in years. I wonder how he is. Anyway, a little after that, I found a gameboy at a garage sale and Pokemon Yellow in a used game store.

Joobell

Insert Witty User Title Here
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2015
In 2002 I got Pokemon silver and a Gameboy Color. I didn't really understand much about it, my older brother on the other hand just played it all day. When 2004 came around I got Pokemon FireRed but didn't have a gameboy advance so I went to a friends house to play it. He had 2 gameboy advances (One for him and his older brother) and when his older brother was out I'd go over to his house and play pokemon with him.

sρεcтяα

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I think it was a combination of things for me. First a friend brought over the Pokemon Red/Blue Master Guide made by the old UK Nintendo magazine raving about how good it was, and then I watched the first episode of the anime on SMTV and decided that I quite liked it; that was probably the turning point. Then I got a copy of Pokemon Red so I could play with my friend, plus some figures...I had an opaque Gengar that I used to LOVE, plus a Venusaur that doubled as a pencil top. The best way to get me into something when I was younger was to get me a toy of it I could show off to everyone else. The cards followed after, and then the craze swept my school and, being six or seven years old with no identity to call my own at the time, I was swept up along with it.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Well, I remember watching the anime with my friends as a kid. At some point there were even some stickers from chocolate croissants, and we started collecting those too, I wonder where my album is now {XD}

That was more than 10 years ago though, and after the anime craze died out, so was my interest in Pokemon. I can't really remember what was it that made me look up the games at some point last spring, but I did, and started playing White on an emulator, and in the end I got my own 3DS to enjoy the games to the fullest.

Back