• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

♦Twisted path♦ (repost)

Jack of Bl♠des

Former goderator
Years
Yeah, my old thread has been deleted due to the recent problem in the forum, but fortunately, I had it all saved on my computer first. Anyway, here's a repost of everything I posted last, along with a new thing or two.

♦ Pokemon: Twisted Path*♦
Hack of: Pokemon Fire Red

The story starts in __________, a far-flung realm somewhere between Orre and Hoenn. You, the protagonist, are a 16-year-old character who, unlike your parents, shows little interest in pokemon. The child of a former Professor/Breeder (mother) and a Police Chief (father), your character starts as a fledgling musician living in a city. You and your rival are long-time friends both trying to start a new rock band with your other friend. Unfortunately, one planning session turns out badly when it turns out that your friend wants to recruit you both into a group that steals and sells pokemon (no, it's got nothing to do with Team Rocket, Magma, Aqua, etc) and suddenly makes you choose from helping him mug a civilian of her pokemon or saving her. This is just the first of a series of events that end up forcing your character to make choices that will all affect the storyline.

Modes:
During key events in the game, the player will be given several options to choose from that affect the storyline, along with how certain character will treat you, and what organizations you will join (the thief group, the police force, or no group at all). Difficulty of the game will depend on what approach the character takes

The "bad guy" approach is the easiest path and it puts you in the thief group. You will have access to more powerful pokemon, though since you have to sell many of them, you end up ultimately weaker in the end (though you can pay to keep the pokemon for a hefty fee). You will also engage in battles with the police, led by your father

The "good guy" approach is harder and you'll find yourself on the police force with your father, trying to stop the thief group. You'll have to do many errands, and you're given less pokemon. However, you get to keep the ones you're given for free, and they evolve into very powerful pokemon.

The "Neutral" approach is the hardest difficulty. You will not join any factions, but since you are not helping either, you will find yourselves enemies of both. You will also have limited access to rare/strong pokemon, and will have to engage in the Pokemon gym/E4 challenge to further the plot (though the gyms are optional with the other factions). Gym Leaders will be very strong (the first one's weakest pokemon will be at level 18)

Aside from a choice system, the game will also feature:
D/P pokemon
New sprites
More than one storyline
Optional Gym Leader fights with opportunities to get rare pokes
More to come soon

Credits:

TB Pro [aka Teh Blaziken], Itman1234, the4, spenceroone and others (scripting and mapping tuts)
Darthatron, Lu-Ho, Hackmew (making great tools)
The countless people who inspired me to hack

Progress:
Starting city (finishing mapping, starting scripting)
First route (not started)
Second town (not started)
Third town (not started)
First Gym (Planning, mapping)

Maps
- Removed -

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Hey, cool.
You re-posted your hack?
I have to too.
It somehow got deleted by itself, I had to restart anyway.
Can't wait to see some screens!
I can be a mapper if you want.

(first post, yay!!!!!)

Jack of Bl♠des

Former goderator
Years
Hey, cool.
You re-posted your hack?
I have to too.
It somehow got deleted by itself, I had to restart anyway.
Can't wait to see some screens!
I can be a mapper if you want.

(first post, yay!!!!!)

Yeah, there was an error in the forum yesterday where nearly five days of data was deleted. But the mods' backup was still pretty close, so I guess we didn't lose too much. Also, I'm glad for the offer, but no thanks. I want to try and do this one solo as much as I can, since it'll prove good exercise for hacking. Not to mention I'm pretty finicky, so you might end up making a couple dozen different version of just one map (and even then I still change my mind)

sounds good so far!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Thanks a ton, glad to know people are still interested

Sweet! This looks awesome. If you want any help on it let me know.

Thanks driger. I might need the help of your awesome D/P sprite inserting skills, so I'll most likely ask you when the time comes, if it still takes me as long as it used to. Thankies for offer as well.

Jack of Bl♠des

Former goderator
Years
*bump*

I've added the map for the first route (or at least a prototype)
Feel free to crit the heck out of it and tell me about any tiling errors. Don't worry, I'll add the starting city soon.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Um, I don't see the map, are you still trying to upload it or did it mess up?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
you need work on your maps jack_of_blades.
the route is mainly just trees and pokemon grass.
"sprinkle" those small trees in with the route to make it more puzzling.

Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2022
Wow... I loved your plot. The story is so complete and looks really cool to play it. I would love to play a hack like yours, but indeed it will be hard to do it, but I know you can do it just perfectly.
What I most loved was the idea of choosing a path and the three rivals.

Anyway, your map needs lot of improvement =x To much trees and grass, like NIN said so.
I'll be looking for your hack.

Yuki.

Jack of Bl♠des

Former goderator
Years
you need work on your maps jack_of_blades.
the route is mainly just trees and pokemon grass.
"sprinkle" those small trees in with the route to make it more puzzling.

Thanks NIN, I'll be sure to work on that. I wasn't sure exactly how many things to put in the first route, so I figure I'd keep it simple. Also, I do have another side of the route still in development (the one on the other side of that forest in the center), but that won't come into play until after you get the first badge. Do you think I should just reduced that big piece of forest in the middle so that it's just thick enough that you can't see both side of the route? It's pretty unnecessary when I look at it.

Wow... I loved your plot. The story is so complete and looks really cool to play it. I would love to play a hack like yours, but indeed it will be hard to do it, but I know you can do it just perfectly.
What I most loved was the idea of choosing a path and the three rivals.

Anyway, your map needs lot of improvement =x To much trees and grass, like NIN said so.
I'll be looking for your hack.

Yuki.

Thank you Yuki. Hopefully I'll be able to implement stuff the way I want, all I need to do is not be lazy.

Also, small update: Scripting the Villain's path has slowed down considerably, since I have recently found out that there are no scripts that remove a specified pokemon from your party (yet). I'm trying to find a way to circumvent that by utilizing NPC trading, but right now there's no telling how things may end up T_T

Last edited:

Jack of Bl♠des

Former goderator
Years
Update: Added the starting city (wow, that feels weird to say)

Looks great! Yeah, being unable to remove Pokemon looks tricky... Although I do wonder how Wally's script was made?

~Smell

Wally's script was already preprogrammed into the game I believe. That entire thing was a big event that started when you talked to Norman, then was linked together until you reached that flag, where the cinematic began. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to hack that (the battle at least).

Thanks though, and I'll do my best to get the Villain's story to work.

jayhova_l

Banned
Years
I hope you make it through with this Hack! It sounds really cool how you can make your own choices in this game. Well good luck to you and I hope you come up with the first Hack of its genre(IIRC).

Jack of Bl♠des

Former goderator
Years
Good news everybody! Thanks to Zel, I've found a way to make the whole "sell pokemon" method work out. You'll just have to trade the pokemon with an NPC, who then pays you afterward. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure if there is a way to create new trade scenarios, so I'll have to use Fire Red for that, which has 8 or 9 total (Though I like Ruby more T.T''').

I hope you make it through with this Hack! It sounds really cool how you can make your own choices in this game. Well good luck to you and I hope you come up with the first Hack of its genre(IIRC).

Thank you. I also think thethethethe is making a decision-based hack, which I hope goes well too.

Jack of Bl♠des

Former goderator
Years
Im not trying to rush you, just curious, when do we get to see a beta???

I'm not exactly sure. I haven't had very much time to do any mapping or spriting (especially now that I'm starting over), but I've done quite a bit of plotting for the first couple of towns. I expect it to be up within the end of next month, provided school doesn't become a major problem.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Good news everybody! Thanks to Zel, I've found a way to make the whole "sell pokemon" method work out. You'll just have to trade the pokemon with an NPC, who then pays you afterward. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure if there is a way to create new trade scenarios, so I'll have to use Fire Red for that, which has 8 or 9 total (Though I like Ruby more T.T''').
There's a wonderful thing called a "Hex Editor". All you have to do in find out what offset a Pokemon trade occurs at, find it in a Hex Editor, and re-make that hex string, changing the Pokemon you want.

Jack of Bl♠des

Former goderator
Years
There's a wonderful thing called a "Hex Editor". All you have to do in find out what offset a Pokemon trade occurs at, find it in a Hex Editor, and re-make that hex string, changing the Pokemon you want.

Well, I already know how to edit trades with a Hex editor. And I've also put forth that idea previously, and am still trying to do it, though when I've asked some people, they said that trades were a bit more complex to create than to edit, as they contain extra stuff.

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2009
ok, i honestly don't know where to ask this question, so i figure i'll ask it here, i'm new in these forums, i'm learning this whole hack deal, its pretty sweet, but i have a question, is there a way to change the pokedex data?

Back