• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon you like more than their evolved form

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Oh my gosh I have tons.

Dragonair > Dragonite
Foongus > Amoongus
Tepig > Pignite
Sneasel > Weavile
Numel > Camerupt
Lillipup > Herdier

Those are just off the top of my head ^^;

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Dragonair > Dragonite, and Krokorok > Krookodile. Both of them suffer the same fate of having questionable full evolved forms (Krookodile's nose design, and Dragon being, well, derpy).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Oh gosh. I have so many of them. Let's see how many I can think of at the top of my head.

• Totodile > Evolutions
  • Quilava > Typhlosion
  • Ivysaur > Venusaur
  • Wartortle > Blastoise
  • Pikachu > Raichu
  • Dragonair > Dragonite
  • Grovyle > Sceptile
  • Tepig > Evolutions
  • Snivy > Evolutions
  • Palpitoad > Seismitoad
  • Gible > Evolutions
  • Aipom > Ambipom
  • And I'm so there are so many more as well.

Years
I can go on all day about this. D:

Mareep/Flaaffy are better than Ampharos for sure; it doesn't look so much like a sheep when it evolves, even though I do like Ampharos. Squirtle/Wartortle are also waaaay cooler than Blastoise. I really didn't like Blastoise and probably never will, ugh. xD; Same goes for Bulbasaur/Ivysaur and Venusaur.

...and Axew. Omg, Axew is adorable, but Fraxure and Haxorus are just horrendous ffs.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Oh yeah.

Palpitoad > Evo.
I love Palpitoad. I don't know why. He just seems awesome and the evo of it is.... well I prefer to keep Palpitoad.
Pikachu > Evo.
I just really don't like Raichu.
Timburr > Evos.
I love timburr a lot better. I really hate the noses on it's evo forms.
Piplup > Prinplup.
I don't really like Prinplup. However I love Empoleon.
Chimchar > Monferno.
Once again I just don't like Monferno,but I like Infernape.
Torchic > Combusken.
Same reason as last two.
Mudkip > Marshtop
Same as last three.
Axew > Fraxure.
Same as the last four.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Pikachu > Raichu
Starly > Staravia
Kricketot > Kricketune
Purrloin > Liepard
Ivysaur > Venusaur
Croconaw > Feraligatr
Mudkip > all of its evolutions

Rewy

untitled follower
Years
Hmm... going by generation...

Gen1
Charmeleon > Charizard
- The wing joints look... I don't know weak, when you think how much mass they have to lift up.
Nidorino/a > Nidoking/queen
- Quadrupedal ftw
Kadabra > Alakazam
- Did someone cut off it's tail? ;_;
Dragonair > Dragonite
- Cliché, but the body type change bothers me.

Gen2
Quilava > Typhlosion
- I always try to keep it as Quilava untill it falls back from the rest of the team. The flames just look cooler imo.
Flaaffy > Ampharos
- A fluffy sheepish cotton animals turns into a skinny dinosaur lizard...

Gen3
Lairon > Aggron
- I just seem to dislike the dinosaur bipedal-tailed form. Hmm...
Spheal > Sealeo
- A ball! *rolls around with it*

Gen4
Electabuzz > Electivire
- It looks like something from Monsters Inc movie and not in the good way. The 'staches bother me the most.
Yanma > Yanmega
- My first ever Yanma was from a GTS trade and it was shiny and blue, then I looked at the shiny Yanmega and proceeded to never use it so it wouldn't accidentally evolve.

Gen5
Dewott > Samurott
- The final form seashell horn makes me tilt my head everytime. *cracks neck*
Venipede > Whirlipede
- I get the coccoon idea, but not the readon for dual antennaes...
Petilil > Lilligant
- While I adore the Lilligant's appearance, Petilil is just adorable and I feel sad always when I encounter one and end up having to defeat it for grind purposes.
Sandile > Krokorok
- The bipedal form and long neck look forced... Though I love Krookodile. O.o
Joltik > Galvantula
- *spazzes out from the cutesy and possible electric shock*
Litwick > Lampent
- The shiny light blue Litwick that appeared in my first ever White playthrough... the squeal I made during Spanish class because of it. Lampent seems a bit half-way design, when you look at Chandelure (whom I would worship and adore... and end up dying because of it).

Ptzery

Skitty trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2022
Squirtle > Wartortle The reason I say this is because Squirtle looks really cute and little, but Wartortle and Blastiose look weird and Ash has an unevolved Squirtle :P

Trubbish > Garbordor Yeah, um Garbordor has all this icky grey stuff on him...

Those 2 are the only ones I can think of right now...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Only two come to mind that represent Pokemon I actually like:
Voltorb > Electrode because (a) "Voltorb" is a cooler name, and (b) red over white looks a lot more attractive than white over red for some reason.

Glameow > Purugly because Purugly is just so, well, ugly. Not to mention overweight and ungraceful.

The following represent Pokemon I don't particularly care for, but they make the list because their evolved form is even uglier.
Pichu > Pikachu
Tangela > Tangrowth
Lickitung > Lickilicky

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
I got a few pre-evolutionary forms I like better than their evolve form. Here they are...in no particular kinda order.

Flaaffy - Ampharos
Dewott - Samurott
Wingull - Pelipper
Rattata - Raticate
Machop - Machoke
Mime Jr - Mr. Mime
Croconaw - Feraligatr
Teddiursa - Ursaring
Spoink - Grumpig
Piplup - Prinplup
Lillipup - Herdier
Tranquil - Unfezant
Sewaddle - Swadloon
Deerling - Sawsbuck
Cubchoo - Beartic

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Ugh yeah I also agree with whoever said Aipom > Ambipom. Ambipom is suuchh a creepy looking dude.

Years
I found that the new evolutions introduced in Generation 4 were very polarizing for me. Either I really liked them, or as shown in my list, I much preferred their pre-evolutions (Magneton > Magnezone, Lickitung > Lickilicky, Tangela > Tangrowth, Togetic > Togekiss, Aipom > Ambipom, Nosepass > Probopass).

Ptzery

Skitty trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2022
Oh yeah.

Magikarp > Gyarados Magikarp is just awesomer and learns splash. Splash is the best move because it does nithing :P :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2013
Oh yeah.

Magikarp > Gyarados Magikarp is just awesomer and learns splash. Splash is the best move because it does nithing :P :)

Dude! You are such a Pokemon-contester xD

*hug my bought Karpador/magikarp*

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
These are the only one i can think of now:

Quilava>Typhlosion
Pikachu > Raichu
Aipom > Ambipom
Grovyle > Sceptile
Lillipup > Herdier
Tangela>Tangrowth

Years
There are so many I can't think of them all gah >.>

Magneton > Magnezone
Rhydon > Rhyperior

Um I can't think of any more that that D: But there are loads that I prefer to their evolutionary forms

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I'd like to think I'm equal opportunity. Even if a design seems weird in the next evolutionary step, there's probably a reason for it. And overall, I don't really care how they look as long as their designs aren't stupid overcomplicated.

That said, I can think of three:

Venusaur - I don't really care so much that it became an old, tired dinosaur of sorts so much that it just looks like it's really really flat. Like it was run over by a car a few times. That, and the appearance in age difference really does seem unbalanced. Bulbasaur and Ivysaur go from being youthful and energetic to burnt out and aged over the course of one (or two) evolutions. Compare this to every other starter (though Blastoise does look like a hardened older man, too).

Nidoking - The red/green promo art of Nidoking that Sugimori drew? Hardcore. The way he looks now? I could hug him. Nidorino, at least, always looks like he means business. And this is coming from a guy who likes huggable Pokemon (and huggable Nidorinos. :P). But there's a certain appeal to Nidorino that's just been consistent, even if he's been softened over the years as well.

Rhyperior (I think) - Ugh. This guy and quite a few other evolutions of 1st gen Pokemon in gen 4 are why the phrase "leave well enough alone" exists in the first place. Designs that are complex for the sake of being complex are not effective. It's even more perplexing considering the franchise itself follows a very "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" model. I'd rather they continue the rest of the series from here on out creating new Pokemon, like the 5th generation, than tampering with what they've got. Even if that means adding a mere 20 per generation due to creative bankruptcy.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
The only one I can think of is Buizel. I love Floatzel as well, just still prefer Buizel's design a bit better, and its voice too.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 20, 2013
Treecko > Grovyle
I love Treecko. I think they're super cute, yet tough enough to battle. With both evolved forms, they lose their cuteness and I just don't like their general appearance. They do have some nice moves, though; I can't deny that.

Pikachu > Raichu
For many of the reasons already listed. Pikachu is cute and Raichu kind of looks... well, it looks like much thought wasn't put into him. xD How can a Pokemon go from being so cute to being... eh, Raichu doesn't even look tough. They look like they're trying so hard to be as cute as Pikachu that they just totally screwed up.

Back