• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I definitely say that, if you wanted the cheapest yet optimal combo, it would be Wii U and PC, mainly because these two consoles have always had the most exclusives and the most unique experiences, so you'd be getting the most bang for your buck. Plus, this time around, a lot more games will that are available for the 720 and PS4 will be available for the Wii U than were available for the Wii was with games available for the 360 and PS3, do to power comparisons (and now, thanks to the new Unreal engine), so things are looking brighter for core gamers this time around.

It's unlikely that I'll be getting...no, I will get a 720, but if the PS4 comes out before it and...well, if I feel like buying the PS4, I'll probably buy that first. I really, REALLY don't like Xbox Live, specifically, how they charge you for it and pretty much every other game. Heck, if they got rid of that one thing, I'd have a lot more respect for Microsoft and I'd like the Xbox again. I'm not even much of a multiplayer gamer, multiplayer is nice, but it's never been my deciding point on a game...however, in the case of the Xbox, I can't play online unless I pay. Nor can I watch Netflix, Youtube, play various demos...

My point is, Live payment REALLY deters me from even wanting the 720, and unless it gets more exclusives or drops the subscription fee (the latter of which won't happen)...I dunno if I will. I'll get the PS4, though I'll be a little disappointed if they drop used game support, but it will no doubt be better than the PS3, for a number of reasons. Or I could just stay PC; that's where I do the majority of my gaming, anyway. I'll no doubt be getting a Wii U thanks to that amazing Nintendo Direct recently.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I probably won't get Nextbox and PS4 for a while. I'll be Wii U and the two handhelds only until the PS4 has any significant enough games. As promising as a PC is, I don't have the time and money to build a personal gaming one, and can't say I care much for its exclusives and multiplat titles for the most part. That, and I don't mind inferior performance provided it isn't anything game breaking.

Thing about Microsoft is that Live lost its values for me, and its exclusives are nothing interesting for me at all anymore. Since Sony is most likely gonna keep it, I can pay the same amount of money I pay Live for PS Plus while also saving a lot, and the fact that it's a lot more consumer friendly. I went with the Wii U first because Nintendo always provides the games I want. ("Casual", easy to just pick up and play but still addicting and extremely fun games.)

I'm pretty sure I can deal with just the Wii U, older consoles and the 3DS/Vita for a long while. I'm primarily a handheld and retro gamer, anyway.

Years
Yeah, XBL was a pricey, but I think that XBL was still better than PSN. Not gonna get into that argument...

Microsoft will keep the payment going for the 720, unless...heck they're improving it, there is no unless. The only thing I see happening is the price slightly increasing. But you know, XBL has a lot of good features, interactive things for the player which PSN lacked.

Anyway, yes Nintendo produces a lot of pleasing games for many people. I think that there is a broader range in audience when it comes down to Mario, Sonic games etc. and much more people like to play those sorts of games. Wii U is definitely the way to go, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. Looking at the titles for Wii U games released this year I should really start saving up some money. That goes for PC, too...

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Haha, posting that a couple of hours before the thread is hilarious, but yeah going PC and Wii U was my original plan, but I just don't know. Getting a PS3 would come down the line either way, and PS4 is out of the question, considering how I have a PC. The real problem for me is do I go PS3 or 360, cause the exclusives on MS' front are more tantalizing for me. Fable, Forza, and crackdown are all my cup of tea, not to mention I would also be able to buy an OG one from my friend for 50 bucks, meaning it would literally be a steal, but a russian roulette. Its like 7 years old, and if its a RRoD machine, then good lord would that be hard to fix.
And anyway, like Spinosaurus, I'm more handheld and Retro. Planning to broaden my PS1,PS2,GC, and DS collections before I even dabble into the Wii U, so this is all just planning. I really need a job first to accomplish anything.

Years
It's all down to personal preference, I would take a look at both XBL and PSN and see which you prefer; along with the games and all. But it wouldn't hurt to wait for the PS4 or 720, would it? That way you could be saving money up to the release and would be able to splash more cash on games when one of them do get released. Since you have a PC and a Wii U, surely you can wait. You can spend time playing on those 2. You're set until the release of 720 and PS4.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
To be honest I think this time is a good time to get a PS3, if you never did. PS Plus especially right now is better than ever. (make sure you subscribe to it so you get to play Vanquish, inFamous 2 and LBP2 for free!)

That and there are promising exclusives around this time. Ni No Kuni and PS All Stars just came out and they are both very solid, and there's still Puppeteer, Sly 4, Last of Us and MLB 13: The Show around the corner. You also get the great range of exclusives you missed (Uncharted, inFamous, Demon's Souls, WipEout to name some...), and great HD collections of previous PS2 games if you never played them. (I recommend MGS and Jak, personally. :P ) The only thing it has going against it right now is that it's usually the worst for multiplat titles, but I don't think that matters much now and the price is great.

Wii U can wait. As much as I love NSMB Wii U (most fun I've had with a 2D Mario since I can remember <3) and Nintendo Land, there's literally nothing special about it. I'd wait until more games come out for it.

Off to play Gravity Rush...

EDIT: Missed you post about the 360. Well it depends on your preferences, and I'd take a look at both's selections of games before I decide. I've only bought the PS3 recently, but I personally like it better than the 360. But again, it's preferences.

Years
Well, yes, there is that option, too. But still, quite a broad range on both 360 and 720. Keep in mind that there are some Xbox and PS3 exclusive games; such as Halo for the 360. Spino showed a bunch of games you can buy if you were to get the PS3, however would cost plenty to buy the lot xD.

Yeah, PC has a lot of exclusive games which I would look into. There is Metro 2033, with Metro: Last Light set for release in March. Minecraft (which you must have heard of) and Terraria which is similar. You have games such as The Binding of Isaac, Awesomenauts, Chivalry and the list goes on and on. What's so wonderful is that Steam has so many PC exclusive games and they're not games which cost a fortune. In fact, most of the games on Steam cost less than £20. Steam also have many sales and deals; Hitman Absolution was 66% off, Sleeping Dogs was 75% off etc. you get the jist. The PC itself may cost a lot, but the games are at a very nice value and Steam has a huge audience, so never expect to be lonely in a multiplayer game.

Just think about it, but don't jump to a conclusion too quick or you will regret it.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Getting a PS3 would come down the line either way, and PS4 is out of the question, considering how I have a PC. The real problem for me is do I go PS3 or 360, cause the exclusives on MS' front are more tantalizing for me. Fable, Forza, and crackdown are all my cup of tea, not to mention I would also be able to buy an OG one from my friend for 50 bucks, meaning it would literally be a steal, but a russian roulette. Its like 7 years old, and if its a RRoD machine, then good lord would that be hard to fix.
Well, you have a good chance of games on the 360/720 going on the PC, especially the first party ones (such as Fable, where the only ones that are unavailable are Fable 2 and Journey), so it's not an nonviable strategy to stick to the PC. That, and MS has been trying to integrate Live into most of their products (especially Windows 8)

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
It's all down to personal preference, I would take a look at both XBL and PSN and see which you prefer; along with the games and all. But it wouldn't hurt to wait for the PS4 or 720, would it? That way you could be saving money up to the release and would be able to splash more cash on games when one of them do get released. Since you have a PC and a Wii U, surely you can wait. You can spend time playing on those 2. You're set until the release of 720 and PS4.
Well the PSN and XBLA stores both have games I want, but Fez, Shadow Complex and various Dreamcast games have a hold over me. If the stores do carry over completely, much unlike the Wii store to the Wii U, then I would surely go for a PS4/720 in the long run. I'm waiting for that crucial info of course. And of course I'm waiting, I mean like 5-6 months down the line, depending on what the price for the PS4/720 turns out to be, and if it would be viable to go for that, or an older console.

To be honest I think this time is a good time to get a PS3, if you never did. PS Plus especially right now is better than ever. (make sure you subscribe to it so you get to play Vanquish, inFamous 2 and LBP2 for free!)

That and there are promising exclusives around this time. Ni No Kuni and PS All Stars just came out and they are both very solid, and there's still Puppeteer, Sly 4, Last of Us and MLB 13: The Show around the corner. You also get the great range of exclusives you missed (Uncharted, inFamous, Demon's Souls, WipEout to name some...), and great HD collections of previous PS2 games if you never played them. (I recommend MGS and Jak, personally. :P ) The only thing it has going against it right now is that it's usually the worst for multiplat titles, but I don't think that matters much now and the price is great.

Wii U can wait. As much as I love NSMB Wii U (most fun I've had with a 2D Mario since I can remember <3) and Nintendo Land, there's literally nothing special about it. I'd wait until more games come out for it.

Off to play Gravity Rush...

EDIT: Missed you post about the 360. Well it depends on your preferences, and I'd take a look at both's selections of games before I decide. I've only bought the PS3 recently, but I personally like it better than the 360. But again, it's preferences.
Yeah, inFamous, and Devil Souls are definitely what are steering me to the PS3, along with GoW and the rest of the Rachet and Clank games. Recently got into them on PS2, and I need more! Can't forget the Killzone games,and Resistance. God I don't even know what I was thinking considering the 360. I couldn't go without them, and seeing how XBLA is on PC, most of the games there I can already get. PS3 is probably a lock now, with more consideration....

Well, yes, there is that option, too. But still, quite a broad range on both 360 and 720. Keep in mind that there are some Xbox and PS3 exclusive games; such as Halo for the 360. Spino showed a bunch of games you can buy if you were to get the PS3, however would cost plenty to buy the lot xD.

Yeah, PC has a lot of exclusive games which I would look into. There is Metro 2033, with Metro: Last Light set for release in March. Minecraft (which you must have heard of) and Terraria which is similar. You have games such as The Binding of Isaac, Awesomenauts, Chivalry and the list goes on and on. What's so wonderful is that Steam has so many PC exclusive games and they're not games which cost a fortune. In fact, most of the games on Steam cost less than £20. Steam also have many sales and deals; Hitman Absolution was 66% off, Sleeping Dogs was 75% off etc. you get the jist. The PC itself may cost a lot, but the games are at a very nice value and Steam has a huge audience, so never expect to be lonely in a multiplayer game.

Just think about it, but don't jump to a conclusion too quick or you will regret it.
I don't regret quick buys. I bought a 3DS instead of an XL, and even if its cramped for my huge hands, I appreciate how crisp the screen is compared to the stretch fest on the XL.

Well, you have a good chance of games on the 360/720 going on the PC, especially the first party ones (such as Fable, where the only ones that are unavailable are Fable 2 and Journey), so it's not an nonviable strategy to stick to the PC. That, and MS has been trying to integrate Live into most of their products (especially Windows 8)
Exaclty why I'm leaning more towards the PS3 now. I decided in under 20 minutes, but that's how most of them go. I also lack any faith for the future consoles, even if exclusives come.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I don't regret quick buys. I bought a 3DS instead of an XL, and even if its cramped for my huge hands, I appreciate how crisp the screen is compared to the stretch fest on the XL.
It's really not bad thanks to the increased dpi compared to the DSiXL. I might end up getting the 3DS again later when it's cheap, but the XL does provide a nice experience because of the increased dpi, so the stretch looks nice. Also, an added bonus is that DSiware loses the blur it had on the 3DS. Still, I'm glad Nintendo decided to make a 3DS and an XL without any additions in between, making it a matter of choice rather than a matter of which is better (which was a smart move on the publisher front).

Exactly why I'm leaning more towards the PS3 now. I decided in under 20 minutes, but that's how most of them go. I also lack any faith for the future consoles, even if exclusives come.
I'd say that I'm the same way. There's nothing that really has me excited about the new home consoles (except for the new Xeno game and SSB4). Hopefully E3 will change that, but even this generation I use my PC for most of my gaming purposes.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
It's really not bad thanks to the increased dpi compared to the DSiXL. I might end up getting the 3DS again later when it's cheap, but the XL does provide a nice experience because of the increased dpi, so the stretch looks nice. Also, an added bonus is that DSiware loses the blur it had on the 3DS. Still, I'm glad Nintendo decided to make a 3DS and an XL without any additions in between, making it a matter of choice rather than a matter of which is better (which was a smart move on the publisher front).
The 3DS and Xl both have the same DPi, the bigger screens remedy nothing but the 3D range and the DS native resolution is basically the DSi. Its the one thing that had me going considering how I want to try everything the DS had, but the 3DS is fine enough. I hold it pretty far away from my face, like in my lap when sitting in a chair, so the smudginess is lost mostly.

I'd say that I'm the same way. There's nothing that really has me excited about the new home consoles (except for the new Xeno game and SSB4). Hopefully E3 will change that, but even this generation I use my PC for most of my gaming purposes.
Exactly. This generation did have something going for it, but I considered the best time would be towards the end, like the PS2, which is around now I'm assuming.

Hmm, one thing I do not like about the next consoles is the idea and rumor that the next console will have subsidized versions, like a cable box. How would that work exactly? I mean if so, then wouldn't the non subsidized permanently yours console be severely hindered if they decide to give discount prices, or even a DRM method through it? And why would you pay for retail games for a console that's not your's, unless retail is going to take a back seat of sorts. Something tells me if this rumor does come out true, then the Americ centric focus Apple has(meaning here in Europe there are so many gimped features like the 360 as well) might carry over to them. I dunno if I'm liking this at all...

Last edited:

Diurno

Ex-Pave Low
Years
Wait, let me get this straight; you have a PC. Getting a Wii U? Deciding between 360 or PS3?

I've kinda got lost in the conversation, so I was just trying to see where you were unless you have changed your mind and have decided on a console already.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Ugh I have so many PC games but when I'm on my PC I feel like I have to multitask - check websites, chat with people, etc. - so I never want to dedicate myself to just playing one game and closing out everything else.

Diurno

Ex-Pave Low
Years
I didn't have anything to start PC gaming when I wanted to; so I just sold my Xbox + games to fund for it and some work chipped in finalized my funds. I do not regret selling my 360 for PC gaming at all. I find it so much better, Steam is more reliable than XBL and PSN and buying games are a lot easier, there's more of them, and there a lot of deals. I have a Wii U, however, so I do play that from time to time, and it's imminent that I will be getting the 720.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Steam does not like my PS3 controller. I went to the Apple Store to get it connected properly (after trying for hours to follow countless YouTube videos) and the Genius guy was pretty much in tears at the end because he couldn't get it to work. It recognised the controller, but clicking left on the D-Pad paused the game and the P in the middle made the whole thing go crazy, and the analog sticks wouldn't work! Fun times! Looks like I'll be sticking to WASD movement in the not-too-distant future... -_-

But I probably will get Ni no Kuni at some point. Mainly because of Ghibli, but mainly when it drops in price. £50 is hella expensive! (Never bought a PS3 game before... thank you housemate for having one! :D)

Diurno

Ex-Pave Low
Years
I would just get a 360 controller for Steam if I were you. I know it would feel weird adjusting to using both controllers, but you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Yeah, Ni no Kuni isn't a cheap game; I would've had it now but there are other things I want/need to pay for at the moment unfortunately.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I heard it's amazing though. When I went to go get Tales of the Abyss the Gamestop guy was raving about it.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Can't you just install MotionInJoy to use the Sixaxis? I heard it works wonder if you want to play PC games with a PS3 controller. That said, though, is there really any reason to when the 360 controller is superior unless you don't have one or if you want to play a game that benefits from a d-pad? (Fighting games, which are better with arcade sticks anyway, and Rayman Origins are the only games I could think of..)

I only wanted Ni No Kuni because of Studio Ghibli's involvement, but I felt like dropping 50€ on unproven (to me) JRPG is a bit tad much. I'd rather wait for a price drop or some sort of anime movie of it. Still love the artstyle, and I want to support the game, but NOT 50€.

Been on Ace Attorney mood lately. Replaying the original at the moment and...gonna leave it at that when I'm finished. To be frank I don't like any other game in the series except for Investigation, which I should also get to replaying it. (Dammit Capcom localize the sequel!) Here's hoping 5 doesn't disappoint.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I want want want Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton. So bad. :( WHY JAPAN

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
To be honest I heard quite some negative things on that game from importers that killed my hype. Maybe it never was the cross over that was meant to be...

Would still give it a try if it's localized, but I don't care about it anymore. Or import it myself when I get a japanese 3DS, but my Japanese skills still have a long way to go for a game with that much dialog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back