• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokemon: Pure Heart!

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
Pokemon: Pure Heart!

Pokemon: Pure Heart! is a fangame I'm currently in the super early stages of. I'd love to get some feedback on how it's going so far!

Story:
In Pokemon: Pure Heart!, you don't start the game with a ten year old kid about to recieve his or her own first pokemon. The main character is an experienced pokemon co-ordinator who, when she's not winning contests, spends her time being bored out of her mind. After a few exciting encounters with some very special people and their pokemon, she makes the decision to become a pokemon trainer. Once she catches her first pokemon (with a little help) and receives her trainer license from Professor Magnolia, she begins her journey around the region, solving mysteries, catching ancient pokemon, and making new friends.

Main Characters:
Spoiler:

Gym Leaders:
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
(newest screenshots are first! to see more caps, just go through the thread)
Spoiler:

Credits:
Spoiler:

Progress:
Spoiler:

Support Banner:
Like my game? Show your support with a snazzy little support bar!

lBJSMas.gif

HTML:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296692"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lBJSMas.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
That's a very good game you got there. But, as always, i have many a few questions for you:
1- What is the relation with the story and the name?
2- Could you provide us more details on the story?
3- Will we see a male protagonist? If not, why?
4- What's the name of the region?
Thank you for answering and good luck!

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
thanks for taking the time to check my thread, and leave a comment :) I'm glad you think it has potential!

the first and second....wellll, you'll see. once I've finished eventing up to the first gym leader (I have all the maps, just need to finish the events and maybe work on a few custom OWs), I'll put up a dl that'll basically reveal all the stuff I've been ~secretive~ about, haha. I dunno, I like a bit of mystery. (plus, tbh the name is a working title. it'll probably change a bunch while I work on this!)

there isn't a male protag for this game. mostly because this game is sort of developed from a roleplay character I never got the opportunity to use, but also because this isn't going to be a silent protag game. the character you play as has her own personality and opinions on stuff, and I figured adding an extra protag just for the sake of it would basically just double the amount of dialogue I need. plus...I didn't want a male protag? haha. that's probably the main reason, I guess.

and ugh, the name. names! I am so bad at them! (as you might have noticed from the ??? above basically every character. that's not a mystery thing, I just haven't named them yet.) I'll come up with a name for it eventually, I guess.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
thanks for taking the time to check my thread, and leave a comment :) I'm glad you think it has potential!

the first and second....wellll, you'll see. once I've finished eventing up to the first gym leader (I have all the maps, just need to finish the events and maybe work on a few custom OWs), I'll put up a dl that'll basically reveal all the stuff I've been ~secretive~ about, haha. I dunno, I like a bit of mystery. (plus, tbh the name is a working title. it'll probably change a bunch while I work on this!)

there isn't a male protag for this game. mostly because this game is sort of developed from a roleplay character I never got the opportunity to use, but also because this isn't going to be a silent protag game. the character you play as has her own personality and opinions on stuff, and I figured adding an extra protag just for the sake of it would basically just double the amount of dialogue I need. plus...I didn't want a male protag? haha. that's probably the main reason, I guess.

and ugh, the name. names! I am so bad at them! (as you might have noticed from the ??? above basically every character. that's not a mystery thing, I just haven't named them yet.) I'll come up with a name for it eventually, I guess.

Thank you for answering my questions.
From my view, i think you should finish to the 2nd-3rd gym to release.
Anyway if you need help with this, contact me. Maybe i could help.

andytu

Ditto engine developer
Years
  • Seen Apr 21, 2014
Your art style is really interesting. I like it (especially the final gym leader looks awesome) but I don't know how it will fit into the rest of the game if you choose to leave them like that. Or are you they just concepts and you're planning to get them into the standard style??

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
jnathan: good point re: having more content for a release. right now I'm thinking that once I have the first gym, I'll probably do like...a private release? for friends and whoever, to just get some quick feedback/bug reports, so that once I have enough content for you guys, I know at least the start is pretty sound.

I'm definitely interested in people helping out! what sort of stuff do you usually work on? like: mapping, spriting, etc?

andytu: they're just concepts, haha! I'm working on spriting them; I've got first drafts of the fire and ghost gym leaders so far. they're not very good (faces! why are faces so gosh darned difficult???), but I figure if I just keep spriting, I'll get better? fingers crossed, anyway.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Well i am decent in mapping and modifying sprites. I am still learning though so i am not a big artist like some others who can sprite from scratch.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
do you have any sprite examples? my attempts at spriting the gym leaders/main characters have thus far been less than spectacularly successful, so I'd love some help with that.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Unfortunately no but i'll try to sprite your gym leaders from the FR/LG examples in Essentials 11. You'll get them tomorrow.

Ycia

Metal Generation.♥
Years
OMG those characters! :O
It would be nice if the tiles are at the same style as your Characters.. You know, cartoony. :P

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
haha, thanks! I'm not planning on keeping this style in the game, though. it's just concept art to show you guys my characters before I finish spriting them :)

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
update time! my laptop's been out of commission for the last week or so thanks to a ~hilarious~ and mysterious problem with the power cable. but my dad fixed it, so I'm back :)

I've got the first big event sequence thing pretty much happening, and I've first drafted the player character's OW sprite, as well as recoloured a bunch of npc sprites, because: hello, diversity? and also I felt like having four identical non-walking sprites on one sheet was kinda wasteful.

next up for me is working on the second big event (there are three before you can start running around fighting pokemon. then one more in another town, and then the first gym! so...I'm getting there!), and drafting up some OW sprites for the other main characters/gym leaders. the larger sprites are more of a pain to work on; I have one gym leader ready to go, and most of the player character? her face is not at all working for me yet. but I will soldier on! I don't want anyone else to play this until most of the main characters have their own sprites, even if they're super WIP-y)

to finish off this post, a couple of screenshots of the new event:
tumblr_mixqn5xeLn1qaxm0yo1_500.png

tumblr_mixqn5xeLn1qaxm0yo2_500.png

also: someone remind me to make a town map one of these days! I have a concept art version of the region, but ughhh I totally cannot be bothered to turn it into pokemon style.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
Screens looks really good! I just don't get why the nurse has blue hair.. as well as the brown skin. Just doesn't look like a good combination.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
*ehem*
because a black woman in pokemon with blue hair is completely illogical...

Still, Lenora actually looks good, the same can not be said to the sprite. The shades of brown and blue used seem to clash horribly, and they don't really come across as natural... Especially from the side, her eyes have the same color as her hair...

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Still, Lenora actually looks good, the same can not be said to the sprite. The shades of brown and blue used seem to clash horribly, and they don't really come across as natural... Especially from the side, her eyes have the same color as her hair...
I agree that the skin tone may be a little too dark of a tone, but to be fair any other hair color would just blend into the skin color in the OW sprite, being blue gives it a contrast, and doesnt look that bad. if the skin was a lighter tone I honestly thing it would look fine; its really a judgement call for the creator

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
wow, opinions! pretty exciting stuff, although tbh I feel like some of you need to learn the art of crit; it's possible to point out flaws in stuff without being so harsh. anyways, I personally think the sprite is pretty cute, but I see what you guys are saying. I threw together another set of variations to try out some different colour combos, and she looks just as cute (if not cuter??) with slightly lighter skin, so thanks for the feedback :)

I've got most of the second big event situation happening, so now I'm kind of tooling around with the towns to finish them off; adding interior maps for some of the houses, making sure all the door events are using the right sprites, adding extra tiles so you can't see the edge of the map, that kind of stuff. also I've been going over a few of my sprites, fixing up some colouring issues (mostly just the aide and the player character), as well as spriting a few more main character OWs! I basically just have the gym leaders and the henchgirls to go, I think! (for now, anyway... and then I get to start on the larger battle sprites. fun!!!)

next up...the starter pokemon event! although I'm having a little bit of trouble with that. I'd love to get my hands on some resized pokemon OWs - I do already have a whole bunch of pokemon OWs, but they're pretty much all larger than the player character, which looks a little ridiculous! so I guess I need to track these sprites down, bluhh. if anyone has them on-hand, I'd super appreciate a link :)

some screenshots of this ~brand new event~:
tumblr_miz619eagj1qaxm0yo1_1280.png

tumblr_miz619eagj1qaxm0yo2_1280.png

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
Another update! (I'm feeling a little awkward about the doubleposts that I've made in this thread... is it a problem? I'm trying to leave some time between posts, so it's not just me bumping this thread constantly haha)

anyway, so! I've sprited OWs for six of the main chars (Marina, Prof Magnolia, the aide, the criminal, and the first two gm leaders), so I've removed all the character concept art from the first post and thrown little animated OWs in :) I'm totally aware of a lot of mistakes I've made with them, so you don't have to be too harsh about them haha. once I've got some more content in-game, I'm going to go back over them. but whatever! that's stuff I don't need to worry about yet

I've also made a bunch of progress with the last two main events before you can finally run around catching pokemon and challenging gyms! I just need to play around with them a little and add some smaller joining-y stuff, and then I'm going to start filling the routes with wild pokemon and coming up with a team for the first gym leader (and, you know...a name, haha). also I've done interior maps for two of the three towns I've got so far, so I'm feeling pretty happy with the amount of stuff that's happening :)

anyway, screenshot time:
bfG04ZG.png

xBx3xbm.png

(gotta be honest here: not a huge fan of the whole night time look in these games! I'm thinking of taking the whole time aspect out of pokemon: pure heart!, in fact. any opinions? also up for debate: not sure how many pokemon to include! do I want up to and including gen 6? just gen 1? only my favourite pokemon?? haha, I'm not sure yet!)

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
a bunch of new progress has been made, even though uni started this week :)

firstly: I've reorganised the OP a little. as well as replacing the concept art with OWs, I've also redone the screenshot bit to include newer caps, added names for all the sprited characters, and included a support bar section

which brings me to my next point: I made a support bar! I think it's pretty cute (& I super hope it finds its way into some sigs), but I always welcome concrit. note: the dragonite was a v specific addition, which will make a little more sense once a few new things have been added to the game haha. so please don't crit the dragonite! it's definitely there for a specific game reason. it's basically the mascot of the game! you guys just don't know that yet.

I also sprited up two of the rival characters (I would have also done the third one, but uhhh it ocurred to me today that I don't even have concept art for him? so I'm going to work on that first, I think.). I thought about starting on the other gym leaders, but I think I want to finish up some of the events I'm working on, and do some more mapping first. I don't even have a town for the second gym leader yet! and there's a village in between hers and gilbert's towns, sooo I have my work cut out for me.

I've added a couple new events, or at least the start of them! I'm mostly working in broad strokes atm; I don't want to get bogged down with making one thirty second event perfect when I could be getting the basics of five more important events down, you know? so some of the events don't really flow together yet, and I'm still working out how I want to handle a few things. but it's coming along! I've also set up some dialogue with the first gym leader, sooo I guess it really is time for me to think of a team for him, haha. awesome, the bit at pokemon I'm probably worst at; the competitive stuff.

if anyone's super into coming up with good teams for characters (main characters/gym leaders/regular pokemon trainers), I would really love to hear from you! this is the part where I list all my favourite normal type pokemon and then pick six at random, which is a terrible strategy. I'd love to collab with someone/a few people who have solid ideas about what makes a good battling team!

screenshot time:
4dxixVO.png

1OMLA9l.png

(btw: sorry that my update posts are all so tl;dr! but honestly I'm mostly treating this thread like a dev journal, and I like to be thorough. or rambly, your choice!)

Back