• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gothic Gender Blender

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
I just discovered something. Ever heard of the Gothi-line? Yeah, feminine appearance with a chance of being male, but here's one twister here.

Spoiler:

Gothorita is just confusing. The rest of the evolutionary line has a small chance of being male instead of female, but Gothorita, despite feminine name, appearance, and cry, it is even more likely to be male than female.

Gothitelle and Gothita are more likely female, Gothorita is more likely male. Eek, talk about a crossdresser. There is even a chance that gender-changing may happen (Female Gothita evolves into Male Gothorita, evolving again into a Female Gothitelle.)

Any one else find that (insert 5-letter word that starts with "H" here.)?

P.S.:Female Gothorita do exist, but not very likely...

Last edited by a moderator:

SilverAbsol

Absol's Shadow
Years
Huh, interesting. Highly disturbing, but interesting.

On a related note, the Azuril family suffers a minor variation of this, where one in three Azuril will go from being female Azuril to male Maril.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Gothorita is 25% male, 75% female. You have your genders mixed up, which kind of ruins your point. :/ All three of them are that way, there's no gender-switching in this species. It's not based on a crossdresser either.

Sirfetch’d

Yeah, who ever gave you this info about the genders is totally trolling you. the only Gender bending occurs in the Marril line iirc.

sunshinesan

Pokesho fan
Years
  • Seen May 9, 2014
Japanese loves their traps. Gardevoir and... Lopunny I believe can be male despite their deliberate feminine appearance.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Yeah, that is weird.
Perhaps they're based off a gothic version of James from the anime? (; I generally don't play Gen V games...so I never noticed that. Sort of how Gardevoir can be male, despite the fact that it appears to be wearing a dress.

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Way to put Team Rocket's James into the equation. I'm not sure why some people are disagreeing with this though...

Sirfetch’d

Way to put Team Rocket's James into the equation. I'm not sure why some people are disagreeing with this though...

Maybe people are disagreeing with this because it has no foundation. Check Bulbapedia. All of the Goth line have the same gender ratio. There is no facts to back this up.

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
Even if it was true, well, there are animals like that in real life. So why should it bother me? Clownfish and sea horses are coming to my mind.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
You're right, Azurill is the only Pokemon that has a gender switch on evolution. This is because Azurill's ratio is 75/25 female/male, and Marill and Azumarill both have a 50/50 ratio. 1/3 of all female Azurill become male upon evolution. The only other Pokemon for which the gender ratios change upon evolution are Pokemon where the gender is a prerequisite for evolution, such as female Combee that evolve into 100% female Vespiquen.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Haha learn something new everyday. I mean it does happen biologically, maybe not in water mouse things, but never knew GameFreak would incorporate that, whether inadvertently or not.

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2012
I feel stupid because I can't think of what the 5 letter word that starts with H is ... :/ I can only think of a 4 letter one.

Back