• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Plot holes ahoy!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Wikipedia said:
A plot hole is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot, or constitutes a blatant omission of relevant information regarding the plot. These include such things as unlikely behaviour or actions of characters, illogical or impossible events, events happening for no apparent reason, or statements/events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.
So, I've just been watching Homeland and getting annoyed at all the plot holes in it and thought 'aha! this would be a great topic for GE!' so here it is: Do plot holes bother you in narrative media (film/TV/books etc.)? Do you pick up on them easily? Any particular howlers that you can remember off the top of your head?

Dish, dish dish! :D

Last edited:
Years
My god, plot holes fill me with a burning hatred! I feel like if I can keep track of the universe/the events of the plot, then the author should be able to too! So yes, I do pick up on them pretty easily, but mainly if I am really into the series. If it's not something I really enjoy/am forced to read, then I don't pay as much attention, hence don't notice the plot holes. But yeah, they bother me so much! It makes it harder to enjoy a series, but I'm sometimes able to understand that there will be these plot holes, (like if a story sets specific rules for magic) As for specific ones, I can't remember any right off the top of my head, but I'll come back later and post angrily about them or edit. :)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Plot holes do bother me, whether it's ruining a character origin or using a character who's suppose to be either dead or imprisoned. These are common in movie franchises (Transformers, Shrek, etc) and long-running shows (the Simpsons, Family Guy, etc).

Years
I really can't think of an obvious one off the top of my head, but the dictionary description reeks of M. Night Shyamalan & JJ Abrams/Lost, haha.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
As long as the plot holes aren't glaringly obvious and they can be covered/considered exempt by the Rule Of Cool, they're okay. Okay, though. If it's a serious show I'm watching and not a sitcom or whatever, then it's different. Plot accuracy, please.

Years
I'll admit I've missed many a plot hole during many shows and movies, even on repeat viewings. If I'm sucked into the "feel" of the story I usually don't notice them - which is fine. Whatever works. Like most things in my media, I'm bothered by it in proportion to how large/offensive the mistake or error is and how invested I am in the story up to the appearance of the hole. Like an early plot hole might really bug me because it's thrown off my suspension of disbelief much too soon. But at the same time a late plot hole might make the whole 3/4 of a movie feel cheap if the hole is bad enough.

I guess I just don't have a consistent answer.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I don't care about plot holes when I'm not expecting much from a film in the first place, or when the focus of the film isn't to tell a complete story. If the film does its job as expected then it's fine by me. What I can't stand, though, is when a film that actually requires a spot-on storyline and promises to be a really big deal falls flat on its face down gigantic plotholes. The main example that springs to mind right now is The Dark Knight Rises which... yeah. It just turned into a total mess for me because so much didn't fit together. I just feel like plotholes can leave a film incomplete and dissatisfying, even if the whole thing was understandable.

It's even worse in a TV series or in a book where the entire thing is based around a supposedly strong plotline.

edit: lol yeah i didnt like tdkr bring the hate

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
All this talk about plot holes in movies or TV shows...

What about games? According to lots of people, Fallout 3 was full of plot holes. o_o

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
The "remade" Last House on the Left movie is just riddled with plotholes. It makes no sense.. and it's terrible. I'm not even sure if it's a B movie but it's terrible for even that.

Back