• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kiiiiirby

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Kirby-600x300.png

Have any of you played Kirby games before? If so, which one(s) did you play and which would be your favorite? Which copy ability do you like the most? Aside from Kirby, which other characters from the series are you a fan of? Why do you like them?

This is the thread to discuss everything Kirby-related!

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Hmm, koff~

I think there is only a few I haven't played. I haven't played the second one or Kirby Pinball. The multiple Kirby game (Kirby attack?) or Kirby yarn along with one other that revolved around the stylus. I've touched on some others (Kirby Racing) and didn't care for them much.

I like to use the cutter or the bomb. My favorite game that Nintendo is crazy not to port to the 3DS is Kirby 64. Exploding fridge power was just a riot. Oh, and I like to pride myself on getting 100% on the games that include that little feature, koffi~

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Kirby's Dreamland was the first game I owned. It came along with my yellow Gameboy. I've beaten normal mode so many times but I always wondered how to unlock hard mode. Now I know but I don't have the game anymore...
And then there's Kirby's Star Stacker, which I still have to beat in insane mode. I got stuck somewhere between level 30 and 35, but it's not called insane for nothing xD

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
Years
I've played Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, Canvas Curse and some of Super Star Ultra. They were both colourful and fun, with some cool characters, friendly, neutral or hostile.

I liked the Burning copy ability...invincibility and zipping about as a fireball is just fun fun fun. Spark is a classic to me..and has saved me multiple times xD

Electricity truly is fun.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Since this topic is more to the point than the other (which is probably unrevivable), I won't wall of text it.

Directly answering the questions, I can say I've played all of them except for Return to DL, which is on the "to buy when affordable" list. My favorites typically and unsurprising come from the pre-anime era. Too many paradigm shifts since then that I just can't get behind. Not to say I don't like any, Mass Attack was a welcome surprise, Canvas Curse was good fun, Epic Yarn, from what I've played through so far, is a nifty gimmick, and Air Ride has ridiculous replay value (and is one of my top favorites). But then you've got travesties like Squeak Squad... I don't really know if Sakurai's departure was an asset or a liability at times.

The game I have the warmest sympathies/nostalgia for is Dream Land 2, but I can't say I'd nail it as my all time favorite. That status is forever fluctuating anyway. Dream Course easily tops it, after all.

My favorite ability in theory is Crash, but in actual gameplay is Tornado. Favorite combo in DL2 is Kine + Spark without competition. It's harder to pick from DL3 and 64, though, though I'm amused at the series earliest pure water attack in the form of Pitch + Clean. Conceptually, I like Burning2 from 64, but it's too slow. Rock + Cutter with the Pitch statue gives the game some of the speed it's missing.

My favorite characters are pre-anime (possibly pre-Sakurai's departure) Kirby, Kine, Coo and Rick. Dunno why so much for the latter 3, just because I can, and I trust them more than Waddle Dee, Dedede and Meta Knight who all seem to have ulterior motives while not being antagonistic today at best. Heck, I trust Gooey more and he's the spawn of an eldritch abomination.

Kirby's easier to spot his personality shift, but you'd have to have been paying more than passive "I just want to play the darn game" attention to notice. To say the least, it's an annoying change I could do without.

ETA: R.F.'s post reminds me that to this day, my favorite soundtrack remains Star Stacker. Everything about that game is underrated, sometimes to a frustrating degree. -_-; Insane mode, though. I never thought that would end, but the music's great. While I'm here, Dream Course has a great soundtrack too, and I'm a fan of the electro/techno influence the series adopted starting from Block Ball (more obvious in Dream Land 3). DL2 also has underrated gems.

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Played most of em, bar Superstar. Mass attack is easily my favorite, so much variety and depth to it. Not so sure about Squeak Squad yet, haven't gotten too into it.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Love the Kirby games! My favorite was probably Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards on Nintendo 64. I actually hadn't played it until on Virtual Console. Loved it, I like most of the Kirby games. :)

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I started Kirby gaming since I was watching someone playing Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land (GBA), and I'm started to play it ever since, and it's one of my favorite Kirby game ever. And one of my favorites besides of that are Kirby's Air Ride and Kirby's Epic Yarn. My favorite Kirby abilities are so many, some of them are Mike, Sword, and Cook Kirby.

Years
I love Kirby! One of the only franchises I played more than one game of. I've played Nightmare in Dreamland for the GBA, Canvas Curse for the DS, Magical Mirror for the DS, and Super Star Ultra for the DS. CC was so difficult though.. had to get the boyfriend to beat it for me and even he suffered.

But I love Kirby and am anxiously awaiting a game on the 3DS!

Years
I actually don't like Kirby very much. I find the difficulty changes to be very awkward and arbitrary. I only own Kirby's Dream Land for the Game Boy, and I've played bits of Kirby's Adventure, Kirby: Squeak Squad, and Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land. I mean, there's alright platforming to be found, but I'm not a huge fan.

Back