• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Has anyone got an "Atoner" in their fic?

Kairn. Is one. He used to be a bully, now he's a world saver. Of course, doesn't mean some of his older qualities won't resurface from time to time.

I also might have others but I am unsure.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023

Quite the opposite infact >.> XD As well as an unchanging antagonist...

So started school yesterday. Had Psychology and Sociology, and today is History of English, Metaphysics and Latin...

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
Not really. Well, Monica Sellers from Morphic, in a way, but her "atoning" consists of having been a co-conspirator in keeping silent but then realizing it's wrong to kill people and warning the main characters that the guy who murdered one of them isn't the guy the police have. Which isn't really the same as "I did evil! I must do good things to make up for it!"

There is another not-quite example in The Quest for the Legends, but that's in serious spoiler territory and I will guard that knowledge with my life, so.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Ken Ichijouji was to me, in the English dub at least (never seen the original, woot woot), the most terrible Atoner in the history of anime.
Even in the original he still isn't great. But Digimon Adventure 02 had so many writing problems, it's really quite sad. My fanfic itself doesn't even deal with Ken (I decided to play around more with angsty!Takeru and the Dark World that was conveniently forgotten), but he's still floating around, so he's my answer.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Even in the original he still isn't great. But Digimon Adventure 02 had so many writing problems, it's really quite sad. My fanfic itself doesn't even deal with Ken (I decided to play around more with angsty!Takeru and the Dark World that was conveniently forgotten), but he's still floating around, so he's my answer.

Oi! That's the first kid to be affected by that mind control thing in season 2?

I liked that season though :P

It was the first time I watched Digimon, and didn't mind it (age not included XD :P).

I watched the first season recently though, and also liked it. I haven't bothered watching the 3rd on however. Also, I can't wait to watch Summer Wars, an anime by the same animator who did the first two Digimon movies, as well as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

--

So I'll be learning the rules of grammar and otherwise language of old English and Latin... I hope to God, that when I get it down pat, I don't accidently let it bleed onto my normal English writing, save for the rules that might still be correct. XD

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
Years

No kidding. My girlfriend and I bought the second season on DVD and watched the whole thing over the summer and it's pretty awful when you're looking for flaws.
Still, I could never call it bad, too much nostalgia, and too much core awesomeness.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Hay thur y'all! My writer's block is cured. Typically, though, it had to happen at a time when I absolutely can not spare a minute to write, because I have to study, study, study, study... My head is about the explode from all the studying I've done, and I still feel like I know nothing of psychology. It's frustrating, but I have no choice but to keep studying until the exam on Monday. If I make it alive until then... I can finally write the story that's been bugging me for a while now. I'm just really excited about the main characters! I really like them, and two of them get killed in the beginning. Their part in the story is told by letters they wrote while still alive. It's a challenging one to write, I've noticed, but I'm really looking forward to trying to make it work. I can't decide whether to make the letters actual letters with a greeting in the beginning and so on or to tell the contents of the letter by writing flashbacks of the situations they tell about... Any opinions, anyone?

By the way, they showed the Prince of Bel-Air in here, too, when I was younger. I was maybe a bit too young to enjoy it thoroughly, although I was already a reader fast enough to read the subtitles. In Finland, we don't really dub anything, we use subtitles. Maybe that's why Finnish kids do so well in international English tests? Children's movies and shows are usually dubbed, though not always. Other movies and TV shows are never ever dubbed, really.
...And that had nothing to do with anything.

Well, I'm off to ruin my sanity with some more studying. *sigh*

Bay

Years
Hm, I would rather have the letters be actual letters. They can be challenging but fun to write. I remember there's a literary term for stories that are mainly letters and it's called an epistolary novel. Remember though, when doing in letters, you can't really go too much into prose as you would in a story, although loads of emotion could be added as letters can be personal.

Good luck studying!

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I don't think I could write a novel just full of letters, but I am interested by the idea of a novel as an assortment of various written things, like newspaper clippings, diary entries, letters, etc. that form a coherent plot.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I don't think I could write a novel just full of letters, but I am interested by the idea of a novel as an assortment of various written things, like newspaper clippings, diary entries, letters, etc. that form a coherent plot.
Read Dracula by Bram Stoker. It has everything you just listed there. The book's crap imo, but it's still the epitome of what you're getting at.

Bay

Years
I don't think I can do a novel like that either too, though maybe as a short story. I might actually try that one day. The letters might be short, though. XD

And Sparkling Dragon, Dracula is like that? Haven't read the book yet, so yeah. ^^;

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
And Sparkling Dragon, Dracula is like that? Haven't read the book yet, so yeah. ^^;
The book is written through journal entries, letters, and newspaper articles. It's a confusing way to read the book, because everything is out-of-place when read, and the reader has to piece it all together. Though I read it quite a few months ago, and am too

And I also didn't enjoy the book. The ending made me frustrated because it was just so "EH."

-

Also, for the Digimon Adventure 02 topic, I wouldn't say that the season is "bad", just that the writing and handling of the characters in some situations is weak. The humongous plot holes found throughout the season (Dark Ocean, opening a DigiPortal, the D-Terminals) and the characterization (Miyako, Daisuke, random Sorato when Sora and Yamato didn't even interact beforehand) tend to stand out even when you don't look for them specifically. Plus the ending was a joke. (Not talking about the epilogue. Those last two minutes are my favorite part of the season. And my OTP. OTP!)

It's still, in terms of seasons I could watch over and over again, one of my favorite seasons. And I also enjoy it just for the simple fact that it was the Digimon season that was on before things in my life changed. It's also the Digimon season that I based buying my car around. (Oh boy, is that story interesting.) Still doesn't mean that I can, and will, point out the flaws in it. I just accept the flaws, write fanfiction to fill them in for me, and enjoy the season for what it is.

Just for a fun fact, my favorite season in terms of quality of writing, quality of characters, characters that I enjoy, and also one that I would rewatch over and over again without counting down to the end is Frontier, the fourth season.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I don't currently have Adventure 02, but I do plan on doing a full episode-by-episode review on it. And I can personally vouch that season four was crap.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
If you are going to make statements such as that, it would behoove you to back them up with actual proof.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Behoove me? Oookay...

I don't see how I can back up a statement of opinion with "proof", but I will attempt to clarify that opinion. The premise was recycled from the first season "Group of kids transported to new world and need to get back home", the animation was stilted and obviously had most of the work put on the 'tweeners, the characters were bland and uninteresting (again recycled from the first season, this time using the characters), and the entire point of Digimon, that of human-Digimon pairing, was replaced with this "Turn into a Digimon" crap. The pantheon of Digimon villains is also vaguely reminiscent of the Devas in Tamers. I found the whole thing to be contrived, as did many of my other Digimon-fan friends.

(As for Adventure 02, I don't recall any of those three being plot holes. The Dark Ocean, if anything, was simply an unexplored plot line. It didn't destroy the fabric of the story or anything)

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
OK, Dracula.

1] I found the epistolary style incredibly confusing also, to the point where I didn't actually finish it. Partly out of frustration, and partly as a petty act of rebellion against the English curriculum.
2] Apparently the ending was a complete and utter anti-climax. Something about killing him in his sleep?
3] Bram, you fool. Who gives two characters the same name? More to the point, a name as forgettable as John? Eh?
4] In favour of the book, it utilised a very effective sense of paranoia.
5] Who's seen Dracula: Dead and Loving It? Hell, that was a good movie!

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
Years
OK, Dracula.

1] I found the epistolary style incredibly confusing also, to the point where I didn't actually finish it. Partly out of frustration, and partly as a petty act of rebellion against the English curriculum.
2] Apparently the ending was a complete and utter anti-climax. Something about killing him in his sleep?
3] Bram, you fool. Who gives two characters the same name? More to the point, a name as forgettable as John? Eh?
4] In favour of the book, it utilised a very effective sense of paranoia.
5] Who's seen Dracula: Dead and Loving It? Hell, that was a good movie!
I'm rebelling against Geography in (almost) its entirety. As in, not studying, not bringing the right books on the assigned days, and certainly not paying for the field trips...
Wut? Why would... Never mind.
He called two characters John? I hope he at least referred to one as Jack, or summat...
Paranoia = Fear
Fear --> Anger ---> Hate ----> THE DARK SIDE -----> Chainsaws ---> Cake
Therefore, paranoia = good.
*head asplodes*

I haven't...

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I'm half-asleep and in pain and I'm ~arguing on the Internet~, so I'm not going to cover everything, but I'll say something that's been bothering me.

I don't see how I can back up a statement of opinion with "proof", but I will attempt to clarify that opinion.
I said that the writing of Digimon Adventure 02 is "weak" (opinion) and backed it up with what I believed made it "weak", with evidence pulled from the actual work and various discussions over the years with the fandom.

You wandered in here and said "Frontier is crap" and figured that you could leave the discussion at that, a situation which really isn't possible, because you could have taken the time to say some reason why you think that. Not all opinions can be backed up with evidence, but ones that deal with media possibly can, since you can pull things from the media to back up your opinion. You have an example of this with how we're discussing Dracula, by using evidence pulled from the text to show that it was confusing to read and where the problems were.

Also, may I remind you that you said something like that in a forum that's dedicated to looking critically at written (here)/drawn (art boards) work and people give their "opinions" on them that are backed up with evidence from the written/drawn work to back it up? If you had wandered in to a person's fanfiction thread and posted the exact same post you did here there, then you would have been breaking the "no flaming" rule, the "no trolling" rule, and the "not constructive criticism" rule.

So, yes, it would be rather necessary for you ("behoove") to back up your opinion about a work of media that you posted on a forum dedicated to posting backed-up opinions of works of media.

I would continue discussing Digimon, but I haven't seen Frontier in years (and it will be next year before I even get a chance to think about watching it), I haven't seen all of Adventure (02) yet in the original (the dub brings up many more plot holes), and I'm more focused on something right now with a better fandom. (In conclusion: socks!)

Yes, this. John and John running around together. This annoyed me about the book too. Van Helsing was still the best though, though that's just my fangirling of red-head smart teachers/doctors.

Apparently the ending was a complete and utter anti-climax. Something about killing him in his sleep?
If I remember correctly, that was their goal, but it wasn't achieved that way. It was still terribly anti-climatic because the ending was written from the point of view of a character who didn't even take part in the final battle. She hid behind a rock quite a distance away that she wasn't fully sure what was happening.

Feign totally just reminded me that I need to update my LJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back