• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Winter's Corner

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
In future versions, I suggest:
  • Some sort of CSS to make things a bit more readable
  • Links to threads you're talking about
  • Maybe talk to the people you're mentioning (eg Fullmetal/Jambo). I'm sure they want to get news of their findings/releases out to the public.

But it was a good read. :)

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
Years
Great read.

In future versions, I suggest:
  • Some sort of CSS to make things a bit more readable

As long as it's not over done it can be alright, I hate having to wait more than a minute for a forum thread to load(not everyone has post 2mb/s connections), and when it's loaded get my eyes killed by awful colour choice or illegible microfont size.

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
When I was a moderator Christos and I tried a Map of the Month contest that was more user voting based (a la Hack of the Month) but both interest and quality were low so we stopped it. I'm only mentioning this so that you don't get too caught up in the competition only for it to plummet.

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years

Winter's Corner.
First Edition. 24.6.2011.

Intro.
Hey, I'm Winter! I know, I know, I'm probably annoying you and the mods with all the posting, but I'm sure they won't mind. :)

Basically, this is my little thread to talk about things new with ROM hacking, discuss stuff, hold little competitions, etc. etc. on a weekly(hopefully) basis. This will have everything from rants to praises and everything in between. So, without further ado, let's start Week One

What's new?
Obviously a peculiarity, the infamous follow-me script. I'm sure this has stumped Yellow remake after Yellow remake, after Yellow remake. What is the follow-me? For those of you who do not know, in Pokemon Yellow, you had a fat Pikachu following you wherever you decided to go. You could turn around and talk to it, too! Sound familiar? Yeah, it's also a feature in Soul Silver. Now, why am I bringing this up? Some of the people in the Research and Development(namely, Jambo51) has come up with an idea that sounds perfectly logical, and perfectly do-able! In a nutshell, he thinks if we figure out how the sprite for the hero is loaded onto the OAM, we could use this routine and force it to run twice, except rewrite the positioning routine to look like it is following the player! Why is this important? Well, we could get a proper Yellow remake! We've yet to have a completely genuine Yellow remake. So, cheers to the guys at Research and Development who've been trucking at this for a while. :)

What to look forward to?
One word: Organization. This tool will be doing it all. That's right. The list of features is simply amazing! This tool will back up your hack, restore your hack to a previous back-up, store all your files in one project file, dock all your tools into one panel, act as a all-in-one patcher, and other features as well! Giga Universe took a simple concept like organization and decided to make one incredible tool with it! As much as he is letting on, he's releasing this tool soon and Full Metal said this:
@Most anybody looking at this thread -
You're in for quite the surprise when this is finished. (:
The interface is very well done now, and some of the features are just plain awesome.

This tool is gonna be loads of help, especially to those who simply do not have the slightest idea as to how to be organized.

Another thing to look forward to is beta 3.1 for Liquid Crystal by Linkandzelda. Most of you know this is coming, but for those who don't, Liquid Crystal is a hack of Fire Red which is a remake of Crystal. Apparently, Linkandzelda left for a while and recently came back.[/FONT]

Things Worth Mentioning.
Misc. Editor by AgentGeo. It's a fairly simple tool that does things to add small details to hacks that just make them better. Two of them being the evolutions not requiring a national dex(Like evolving Porygon to Porygon2), and having the running shoes work indoor. It's a small tool, yes. But a very nice one. Well done, Agent. :)

Apologies, apologies! Sometimes, very sweet, and sometimes, they make you sick 'cause the person is so sarcastic about it, it makes you wanna puke. However, in this scenario, this is not the case. ROM hacker / game developer Coolboyman has recently apologized for his bad attitude in the past. While I wasn't here to experience it, just by reading what he said, you can tell he was very sincere in his apology. Everyone here who knows CBM knows him via Pokemon Brown and Prism. Both of these hacks are very nicely done and I encourage everyone to check them out if you haven't already.

Rom Hack I'm personally looking at.
Personally, I only want to do one hack a week in this section. But, this week deserves two since it's the first

First up: Pokemon Shattered Dreams by Quilava's Master! This is a hack of Fire Red taking place in the Zinnos region. This hack is very nicely done, even in it's Alpha stage! Yes, by Alpha stage, I mean he's released an Alpha. This hack comes with custom OW's and trainer sprites, snow tilesets, Day, night, and seasons, a full world map, HG battle backgrounds, a neat little PDA telling you the date. Also, seasonal events(some events in winter, some in summer, etc.)

The second hack is Pokemon Sienna: This is a Fire Red hack by Manipulation! This won Hack of the Year last year and is stickied in the Hacks Showcase! Why is this being mentioned? Reason being that Manipulation is back after stopping for 2 and a half months. He's back and working hard and fast! In the past 3 days or so, Manipulation has posted 3 updates including new battle backgrounds and a shiny Heracross event!

Mini Competition.
I would like to host a small competition, if anyone's interested. Since this is the first one of these I'm holding, I'd like to keep it simple. I'll need two judges to judge with me, and the first two to ask to judge will be the judges. To participate in the competition, just post a map, keep it in spoilers. I'd also like to impose a theme: Snow towns. You have until Tuesday, 8PM EST(June 28th, 2011). Then all the votes will be tallied.

To vote, follow this format, please:
Name of the map poster:
Rating out of 5:
Favorite feature of the map:

Closing Notes.
I hope you've enjoyed reading this. I would really like some feedback on what to include, and things of that nature.

CSS Layout by Full Metal. Don't take without permission.Copyright (C) 2011.

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
This is a fine first installment, but I feel like the section about ROM hacks that you're looking at could use some more elaboration. At this point you're basically just making a list about all the things that are in them/ have been shown off lately. I would be more interested in why you're playing them and what you see as being good or bad (e.g Are they graphically beautiful or do they present a good challenge?). A small paragraph review on the hack(s) you're looking at would be really nice in my opinion :D

Last edited:

Winter Wonderland

Years
I'll save it for the next issue. :) And Darth meant let them know I'm talking about them. But, interviews sound good, too!

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
This wasn't bad. My suggestion: In the section "Rom Hacks I'm Looking At" it wouldn't hurt to add one or two screenshots of the hack in question. That way if someone reads it but isn't entirely convinced to play the hack based on your review, they can look at the screenshot and that may sway their decision.

Winter Wonderland

Years
This wasn't bad. My suggestion: In the section "Rom Hacks I'm Looking At" it wouldn't hurt to add one or two screenshots of the hack in question. That way if someone reads it but isn't entirely convinced to play the hack based on your review, they can look at the screenshot and that may sway their decision.

That's actually a pretty good idea. :) I'll keep it in mind for next week. Thanks for that! :D

Also, thanks to Darthatron for the loooovely CSS. :))

marcc5m

what
Years
I actually really enjoyed reading this. Much better than previous attempts at the RHN that I've seen (except the original, sorry, no offence but nothing can beat the original). I'll definitely be following this :3

Winter Wonderland

Years
I actually really enjoyed reading this. Much better than previous attempts at the RHN that I've seen (except the original, sorry, no offence but nothing can beat the original). I'll definitely be following this :3

And the best part is, this is the first one. So, it can only get better. :)

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2023
I really like this idea. Its a nice new newsletter for the ROM hackers on Pokecommunity. But like they said above, pictures for hacks and a nice CSS border would help it be even better.

Winter Wonderland

Years
Wow, looks like you're hitting the ground running!

I'll judge the mini-contest if you want, vm or pm me the details.

I do wish your first post was a little longer with more content, but it is the first of hopefully many. Soon content will be falling into your lap.

That's great that you'll judge! Now, all we need is some contestants. :) And yeah, I do hope more content comes leaping out at me once this thread starts rolling. I do aim to stick with it. I even have my dad setting an alarm so I do it every Wednesday or Thursday. :)

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
If you would like a css layout then I can give you one based on my signature if you'd like it. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
This is awesome. Very well put together.

Weekly interviews sound good to me. A section about new hackers/teams might be interesting as well, when a really promising new hacker/team comes around.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind judging for your contest. (I hate making snow maps anyway, but I'd still like to participate. lol)

Last edited:
Back