• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What pokemon surpsrised you the most?

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
Excluding legendaries what pokemon surprised you the most the first time you saw it in game or in the anime?Mine is absol.I thought it wasa legendary the first time i saw it in Emerald.It had a huge sprite,a weird cry and i never watched the anime to know what it was.

Isasapiens

A pine tree...
Years
I was suprised when I first saw Purugly. Having seen Glameow before, I assumed it would be cute. I was kind of wrong. And to even more suprises, it is slightly faster than Latios (112 for Purugly vs Latios's 110), which is said to overspeed jet planes.
Another one was the Seedot. When I saw on the anime, it was weird. And it got even weirder when I learned that it evolves onto Nuzleaf.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I guess Rotom. Ghost/Electric is such a weird combo it was kind of a shock. lol punny.

eXeMegadeth

Why are we here?
Years
Many pokemon from B/W did. Lots of pokemon had ridiculously high stats, and there were less useless pokemon released.

tnfsf11

Luvdisk, were GameFreak drawers so desperate for another Pokemon in gen3 that they had to draw a simple heart and stick eyes and mouth to it?

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Excadrill was a bit of a surprise in my first playthrough of White. I very deliberately don't look anything up before I play for the first time, so I had no idea what to expect. Drilbur is sort of cute and decent enough, so I kept one on my team, and then it evolved and... yow. I wasn't at all surprised later when I found out that Excadrill is uber tier.

Lilligant was surprising too. I already had a Petilil, but it hadn't evolved yet, and I came across a Lilligant in the shaking grass. It just struck me as really pretty, so I went ahead and caught it. It wasn't until the first time I saw it one-shot an opponent with a neutral-effective Mega Drain that I started to figure out that it was much more than just pretty.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Sudowoodo.

When I first fought him I had Quilava and I said to myself 'A tree Pokemon? Well let's take care of that Quilava, use flame wheel!'
Then it said it was not very effective, I was like what?! How is that piece of branch able to withstand my fire attacks?!

And when I finally got a hold of Sudowoodo, it said that it was a rock Pokemon who imitates a tree branch. Well played Pokemon, well played. You really fooled me :P

Years
I don't know if it necessarily surprised me, but it was a little weird when I ran into a Cryogonal for the first time. It doesn't really resemble any other Pokemon, and to be quite honest it was one of the Unovan Pokemon I had never even heard about before I played the games, so it was weird to see this big 300 lb., half-sad/half-angry snowflake looking at me.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Vanillite, an ice cream cone was cute and stuff but normally seemed stupid to me. And trying to figure it's origins, doesn't say Arceus, in fact it says a weird cook made food come to life or something else... 0_o

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
I caught a Shinx in my brother's Pearl before I knew any Sinnoh Pokemon. It evolved and I thought Luxio would be it's final form. I teared up in joy when I saw Luxray. One of my favourites right when I saw him. I had no idea it evolved again lol.

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
Klink and it's evolutions, Trubbish/Garbador, Vanillite and its evolutions. Gears, garbage bags and ice cream? Wonder what the next generation (if there is one) will be like.

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
When I first played Black and White, there were two Pokemon which surprised (well, not surprised, they were just weird) me: Sigilyph and Cryogonal. The first one, I haven't figured out yet what it is - yes, it looks like a bird, but that deadpan is just scary.

And Cryogonal, well... WHAT IS THAT? I mean, it's a snowflake (or pretend to be) but something evil is hiding behind that disguise.

Back