• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

256/240 color Titlescreen (Firered)

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
I'm sorry, but your tutorial seems a bit rushed. Some parts you barely explained, and that makes it really hard to follow.
My final result was completely messed up, due to the fact that half the time I was just so confused about what you were trying to say.

Like, for example;
"Then go on like that and hit replace until you had all 16 indexes."
Go on like what? I don't understand. In the first one you were supposed to just import the palette, and in the second you were supposed to click the arrow.
So should I click the arrow for all the others? Or..?
And this too;
"
Then go to offset 00EAB8C4 click it on 256 colors then click import bitmap.
Then this popup should appear:"
You skipped the whole import bitmap step, what are we supposed to import?

Sorry if I'm sounding slightly rude.. I trust that you put effort into this. But please explain a bit further, some people are completely new to this.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
I'm sorry, but your tutorial seems a bit rushed. Some parts you barely explained, and that makes it really hard to follow.
My final result was completely messed up, due to the fact that half the time I was just so confused about what you were trying to say.

Like, for example;
"Then go on like that and hit replace until you had all 16 indexes."
Go on like what? I don't understand. In the first one you were supposed to just import the palette, and in the second you were supposed to click the arrow.
So should I click the arrow for all the others? Or..?
And this too;
"
Then go to offset 00EAB8C4 click it on 256 colors then click import bitmap.
Then this popup should appear:"
You skipped the whole import bitmap step, what are we supposed to import?

Sorry if I'm sounding slightly rude.. I trust that you put effort into this. But please explain a bit further, some people are completely new to this.
I think he kind of rushed that too. So for each index, find the offset in the box below that post, and replace each index spot with the right index in your custom pallet.

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
I think he kind of rushed that too. So for each index, find the offset in the box below that post, and replace each index spot with the right index in your custom pallet.
So I keep pressing the arrow until I've replaced all the possible palettes in the index?

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
So I keep pressing the arrow until I've replaced all the possible palettes in the index?

I did this tut a while ago, and it says all 16 indexes, but there are only 15 offsets. So you only need to replace at 15 indexes. But to clarify what shiny quagsire said, basically you need to replace all of the palettes each at a different index. So for the first palette, put in the offset and replace at index 1. For the next offset, do the same except click the arrow to make it at index 2. And so on until you have replaced all of the palettes.

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
I did this tut a while ago, and it says all 16 indexes, but there are only 15 offsets. So you only need to replace at 15 indexes. But to clarify what shiny quagsire said, basically you need to replace all of the palettes each at a different index. So for the first palette, put in the offset and replace at index 1. For the next offset, do the same except click the arrow to make it at index 2. And so on until you have replaced all of the palettes.
I understood that. What do I do in Index 3? Do I click the arrow 3 times? I'm sorry, I'm just so confused.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Washibon said:
I understood that. What do I do in Index 3? Do I click the arrow 3 times? I'm sorry, I'm just so confused.

This part also confused me when I was doing it. :) Ok, I'm going to try to explain this more clearly. From the beginning of this part.

When you begin, the tut tells you to load the first offset on the given list. After you have done this, follow the instructions to load your palette. Notice that the little box in the bottom right hand corner of APE labeled "index" has a one in it. Hit replace just as the tut tells you to do. You have now replaced the palette at index one. Got it? Now load the next offset on the given list. Now all you have to do is click the arrow on the right of the "index" box so that it displays a number two. Hit replace and the palette has been replaced at index two. Continue this pattern. Load the third offset and click the index arrow to make the index box display a number three and replace. And so on. Once you have done this for all 15 offsets you are done.

Django136

Epic Pro Baller
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2016
When trying to import the titlescreen raw into my rom, I got the error that it was too big. Now, in the tutorial you had a normal number of bytes to look for (564). Mine read "4E4". I tried to type this into the needed bytes on FSF, but it wouldn't let me, considering "E" isn't a number. I tried typing in 4000 (A guess) but this causes my rom to crash when the titlescreen is supposed to appear (black screen with loud screeching noises).
Am I doing something wrong?

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
You skipped the part where you convert the hex "4e4" to a decimal number using FSF's converter. Use this: http://www.mathsisfun.com/binary-decimal-hexadecimal-converter.html
or FSF's converter to get the needed dec number, and search for that. Still I can't imagine why it wouldn't work, because you have more than enough free space if you searched for 4000 decimal bytes... Make sure you follow the tutorial carefully, you may have missed something important.

Django136

Epic Pro Baller
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2016
You skipped the part where you convert the hex "4e4" to a decimal number using FSF's converter. Use this: (html here)
or FSF's converter to get the needed dec number, and search for that. Still I can't imagine why it wouldn't work, because you have more than enough free space if you searched for 4000 decimal bytes... Make sure you follow the tutorial carefully, you may have missed something important.
I wasn't sure why it would cause the rom to crash either. Is it possible I already wrote something to byte 800000 (I think I might have) and that is what is causing it to crash?

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Django136 said:
I wasn't sure why it would cause the rom to crash either. Is it possible I already wrote something to byte 800000 (I think I might have) and that is what is causing it to crash?

That shouldn't cause your ROM to crash....If you indeed already wrote something to byte 800000 then will just overwrite whatever you had there with the title screen.

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
Um, is this the image I'm supposed to be editing, I can't tell..

405u6b

None of the images show the Pokemon Logo clearly like in the screenshot.

In the end it turned out like this...

q58eo4

So I think I changed the wrong image in unLZ-GBA?

Last edited:

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
Ok, tried it again.. Uh..
Any ideas why my title screen ends up looking like this in-game?

8861ku

When in NLZ-GBA, I didn't get a message saying it was repointing anything. Nor did the original Pokemon image change, I'm not sure if it's supposed to show the change?
I still clicked "Write to ROM" and it said "Finished."

yugimon121

3 hearts and failing in battle
Years
You guys look like your forgetting or at least incorrectly imported your tilemaps. You need to edit the tilemaps to actually show the image, you know... >_>
what do you mean by edit?
i did all the steps on the tutorial :/

Back