• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Noragami

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
8Snw6Pv.png

Synopsis

Episodes: 12
Genres: Action, Adventure, Supernatural

Yato, a minor god, dreams to become the most revered deity in the world with big shrine and all. However, being a penniless god that he is, he has a long way to go and his shinki (lit. divine weapon) leaving him doesn't help matter. Later, when he does his job, a junior high school girl named Hiyori Iki, who is unaware of Yato's status as a deity, pushes him out of the way of a speeding bus.

Things get complicated when this incident triggers abnormality in Hiyori's soul, causing her to make an Astral Projection whenever she falls unconscious. To turn herself back to normal, Hiyori must help Yato becoming a better god who can fix the problem, along with Yato's new shinki, Yukine.

More information: myanimelist and [URL="http://www.funimation.com/shows/noragami/anime"]funimation[/URL]

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
One of the funniest series this season =D
Kamiya Hiroshi as Yato is a win.
I like the concept as a whole, one of better series I'm watching this season.

(How can Yato be portrayed with Sekki/Yukine/Yuki in sword form when he's behind him?! That's practically blasphemous!)

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I love this series so much.

I thought I'd check out the anime on a whim one day. I was bored.

Best anime-related decision I've made in a long while, and I really enjoy it so far. Got my best friend to watch it too, and I'm also in the process of catching up to the manga. Good stuff. I love the characters, and the concept; though a mix of things I've seen previously, is really intriguing. Don't regret getting into this one bit.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Watched the latest. Yeah, it's great. I just hate how others treated Yato, even though he REALLY is a God. But everyone says he calls himself a God or he really isn't..? Am I wrong? Anyway, I can wait for the next episode. *A*

Years
Kamiya Hiroshi is everywhere ever since Shingeki! The humour in this anime is top-notch, but at the same time, I'm not entirely sure what exactly the plot is...Besides Yato trying to become a God.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Surprised you didn't recognise him from one of his main and more notable roles to be honest. Surely you can't have missed Bakemonogatari, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Angel Beats and DRRR.

He's been everywhere for around a decade now.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Kamiya Hiroshi is everywhere
You spelled Kana Hanazawa wrong.

Watched the latest. Yeah, it's great. I just hate how others treated Yato, even though he REALLY is a God. But everyone says he calls himself a God or he really isn't..? Am I wrong? Anyway, I can wait for the next episode. *A*
Seriously, would you believe some random homeless guy in jersey that he's a god? =D

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Do we know if this is only going to be 12 episodes? I really hope they don't end the anime altogether after that. :/

That is true, but sometimes people don't really look into seiyuu much until they land that one role that the person really, really likes. xD Like how Mamoru Miyano is all over the place, but some don't notice him at all until they find out "Oh, he's Light!", "Oh, he's Dento!"

Years
Surprised you didn't recognise him from one of his main and more notable roles to be honest. Surely you can't have missed Bakemonogatari, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Angel Beats and DRRR.

I've only recently started factoring in seiyuus into helping to choose which series to watch .___. Having said that, he was one of the main reasons I decided to watch this and remains the only reason \: It's not that the series is particularly bad, but I don't see it going anywhere...

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Good, but I wished if it was a little fast paced/plot orientated, but at least the comedy's working.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Do we know if this is only going to be 12 episodes? I really hope they don't end the anime altogether after that. :/
Well... we never know but it's planned to be 12 episodes one at this time.
But anime industry likes to troll in these past years... especially in the previous season. =D
Tokyo Ravens, Strike the Blood and Kill la Kill were supposed to be one quarter and we still have them =D

TwilightBlade

Years
I'm really enjoying the neat blend of comedy and action. I became hooked within a few episodes, where episode 3 really stood out to me. Hiyori realized that shinki/regalia don't die through suicide, but that they're people who still want to live. Yato couldn't tolerate seeing others waste their lives in front of shinki.

...This realization makes episode 2 all the more sad. When Yato first gained Yukine, he sees flashes of Yukine's life. After the fight, Yato becomes teary-eyed. From the stills, we can see:

The luggage indicates someone is leaving. The handshake implies they're parting ways; divorce. Yukine is left with the father and shows signs of neglect.
Spoiler:

Broken cup of coffee denotes anger. A male, assumed to be the father, stomps on unread letters, presumably from Yukine's mother and sister. Blood-stained bandages on a child's arm depict abuse and neglect. Signs of an empty wallet symbolize poverty while empty beer cans can imply alcoholism. The last image, judging from the haircut, has to be Yukine's sister.
Spoiler:

Yato found Yukine's spirit near a post-office, where he was possibly waiting for the letters...
TT5mP2K.png

Note that Yukine's weapon form has bandages around the sword. Do you suppose the weapon that is made has some relation to what's happened to the shinki?

I've read through the manga, and the realization follows through two big themes coming up, but I won't spoil, haha. Go read it if you haven't!

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Definitely curious on how weapon!Yukine is represented by a sword and bandages, so, yeah, maybe he had a troubled past where he had abusive trauma one way on another. If he lived with a male, probably his dad, then maybe his dad was abusive to the point on where Yukine maybe ran away from home and waited by mail posts.

Hmmm, maybe he was hospitalized in some way, and the coffee dropping was a sign that his parents heard the bad news about what's happening to him and thus consumed large amounts of alcohol (from those cans)? Something to think about indeed. @_@

But yeah, I'm leaning more towards the parental neglect though. His mother and sister left him when he was really young and I guess by depression, his dad took it all out on him.

TwilightBlade

Years
Hmm, I didn't consider the thought of Yukine being a runaway child. Yukine would have likely been consumed by phantoms along the way if it was a reoccurring event, but he wasn't. I think he did die because of neglect through no fault of his own, with his dad to blame.

I'm rewatching episode 3 and I realized Tomone was a dagger under Yato's control and is a smoke pipe under Tenjin's control. So, the form may not be based on the shinki, but rather the god and what they feel is suitable. Certainly, Tenjin can't carry around like, 5+ weapons... Bishamon sure likes being a walking armory, though.

Spoiler:

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
When I first saw Yukine's flashbacks, I assumed his mother died, and his father was a drunk and abused him, either before or after his mother died. Though, I'm liking some of the theories I'm reading here, and they're less cliche then what I guessed.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
When I first saw Yukine's flashbacks, I assumed his mother died, and his father was a drunk and abused him, either before or after his mother died. Though, I'm liking some of the theories I'm reading here, and they're less cliche then what I guessed.
This image
o81y4Qo.jpg

shows a lady and someone who is too girly to be Yukine so I agree with divorce theory.

If the father was alcoholic prior to divorce, one wouldn't be surprised that mother wanted to leave...

Years
Definitely one of the best newer anime series. I usually don't pick things that are too new up without a lot of recommendations so due to that alone this one was quite special! I absolutely adore the two main boys, especially Yuki. Little guy is so precious.

Back