• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Idea] The Originals

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2012
Hello everyone. My first post here, though I've lurked before. I'm a relatively accomplished sprite artist (thought it seems those are a dime a dozen these days), a novice programmer, and a greatly adept developer/producer/writer.

I'd like to announce my idea for a rather stellar remake of the original Red and Blue/Green version of Pokemon.

Now, at the moment, nothing is done, nothing is ready, etc.

What I'd like is for the game to be set in the near future of the Pokemon universe, after Red's journey is over. The player will be a new trainer, possibly from Pallet, or one of the new cities/towns the Kanto region has developed.

I am planning on incorporating a great in-game experience that puts the player character right into the world and immerses the player completely into the gameplay, while at the same time breathing life into the thoughts and emotions that the original red and blue versions gave us 90's kids.

At the moment, the story is under heavy development, as is the artwork. The programming hasn't been touched yet. As most others, I'm using RMXP and the Essentials kit.

I was hoping to gather a promising team here to work on this game with me.

I'm looking for, in order of necessity:

Scripters
Artists (both sprite and tileset)
Writers

I would love for anyone interested to hop on board this project and share our ideas together. If you would like to be a part of this project, please post the position you're looking for, and a sample of your work.

--

Things I'm hoping to include in the game (Italicized letters are uncertain) :

(A) Full front and back animated battlers from black and white.
(B) 3D (or pseudo-3D, as in black and white's castellia city) environments
(C) Interactive, changing environments
(D) Days/Nights, Seasons, Weather - all based on either a random generator or on what the weather is like where you live (possibly via an internet link to weather.com or something)
(E) The full 150 pokemon roster available
(F) Other region's pokemon after obtaining the national dex - perhaps multiple regions within one game?
(G) A few fresh, never before seen pokemon suggested by users
(H) The ability to take a test and, if you pass, become a Pokemon Ranger
--As a Pokemon Ranger, you have access to dungeon-crawling quests that are updated via downloadable content
--Some quests require the player to defeat a boss at the end of the dungeon; this boss will be a "Mark Hunt", a special pokemon that may or may not be able to be caught that is a subspecies of another pokemon. [apparently I can't link until 15 posts, which is stupid, but, if you go to deviantart and look up Dustwing Charizard, you'll get a good idea of what I mean]
(I) Downloadable updates to various parts of the game; this includes mystery gift functions, ranger dungeons, and npc battles
(J) Change the look of your trainer with customizable hair, shirt, pants, and an accessory!
(K) The ability to link up to a server I'd host that acts as a plaza for up to ten players to meet and chat at a time, with other "rooms" available on the server
(L) The ability to link up with a friend over the internet and battle/trade
(M) An online profile that links to your game, where other players can check out your current outfit, pokemon team, location, battle record, awards, records, and maybe learn a bit more about you!

--

and more!

Mock pictures with tons of info regarding the game have been attached to this post.

Feedback would be wonderful, ideas would be appreciated, but most importantly, help with this game by experienced scripters and artists would rock!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2012
Awesome, thank you!

I'd love for people to become interested in this topic and help out!

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
Seems pretty cool! My project is also set in the near-distant future of Kanto. The further along you go in the future the more freedom you will have with customizing the area. How far into the future will you be going?

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2012
I'm not certain. I'd like to place a timeline together regarding the events of each pokemon game.

In this article I just found, it states that Black and White take place 10 years after D/P/Pt/HG/SS. So I may set my game around that time period, give or take a few years.

The article is "History of the Pokemon world" on bulbapedia; really worth a look.

I'll be posting some mock ups of what I'd like the game to look like later on today.

I'd LOVE assistance with this, especially by gifted scripters.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2012
NEW: Mock pictures have been put up!

Check here and in the first post for the mock-ups that help explain some of my ideas for this game.

The green around everything is the window border; the game features a dual screen.

The pictures are ATTACHMENTS to this post as well as the first post.

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
Very ambitious feature list. A good one too. But, the thing is, the more ambitious a game gets, the more likely it is to fail.

What I suggest is to mindful of what's realistic as you go on. Build the game, as ambition often gets the game sidetracked on side features so much it never sees the light of day.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2012
First of all, you will need a anti lag script. hope you'll find one that is compatible with essentials.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2012
I've seen a few on youtube. They pull off the d/p/pt 3D with slopes, and the lag is minimized.

And, while I'm appreciative of everyone's thoughts and interest thus far, I was moreso hoping people'd join the project and we could get this beyond mere thought processing!

I'm still wondering what route to take the story. I'd like to make it a bit more on the political side, like in Black and White.

Still looking for potent scripters, sprite and pixel artists, and developers!

Back