• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
What if we took all of the inactive/died/locked/deleted RP threads and took the out of RP Corner/Lounge, into an archive?

I know it sounds crazy, but just hear me out with this one. Personally, I have seen the large clutter of RPs scattered over our 2 beloved boards, and while trying to search for new ones, I struggled. The mass amount of listings is beyond me, and I'm likely not the only one who thinks that. I think we should move the unused and otherwise not-needed Roleplay Threads into an archive, that is out of the way but still accessible. That way, the only RPs you would see on the Corner and Lounge are ones that are recently accepted and taking SU's, already active RPs that are still going, and obviously the stickied ones like this. It would be much easier to find your IC/OOC, as well as easy to find a new RP to join. Of course, the Archive would be open for anyone to look through, and still leave the possibility to be revived. I think it would greatly clean up these boards and make it well-known which are still going or just started going. Pleayers would likely join more RPs and with easier access with less searching, there would be much less clutter to dig through, and all-around this would improve the site, or at least I see it as something that would.

Anyone else think this could be a good idea?

But the active RPs are on the first two pages, and then the inactive are every page after that... I really don't see what this would accomplish aside from making an unecessary, extra forum. It won't do anything extra to organize things, it'll just split the forum up for no reason and create uneeded work for the staff. I'm sure if the whole RP system was organized differently, it'd work, but with things the way they are, I don't think so.

---

What gender does everyone prefer to RP as when they make a character? Is it the same or different from your own? I've always found the answer to be different from person to person. Most of the people I RP with regularly prefer roleplaying the opposite gender, but I'm indifferent for the most part.

---

Also, is anyone familiar with Fate/Stay Night or Fate/Zero and would have an interest in an RP centered around a different Holy Grail War? I tried to start one in the fall and didn't get much interest, so I want to see if things changed. XD

King!

better
Years
I can go with either gender, really. It depends on the idea I have for a character, or just what I'm in the mood to RP as. I've played both my gender and the opposite before. Although oftentimes I like to go back and forth between the two, so if my last character was a boy it's more likely the next will be a girl.

or you could take game of chance where my character is technically both a boy AND a girl

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
You know, I had an idea that could very much help the RP Corner as well as the RP Lounge...

What if we took all of the inactive/died/locked/deleted RP threads and took the out of RP Corner/Lounge, into an archive?

I know it sounds crazy, but just hear me out with this one. Personally, I have seen the large clutter of RPs scattered over our 2 beloved boards, and while trying to search for new ones, I struggled. The mass amount of listings is beyond me, and I'm likely not the only one who thinks that. I think we should move the unused and otherwise not-needed Roleplay Threads into an archive, that is out of the way but still accessible. That way, the only RPs you would see on the Corner and Lounge are ones that are recently accepted and taking SU's, already active RPs that are still going, and obviously the stickied ones like this. It would be much easier to find your IC/OOC, as well as easy to find a new RP to join. Of course, the Archive would be open for anyone to look through, and still leave the possibility to be revived. I think it would greatly clean up these boards and make it well-known which are still going or just started going. Pleayers would likely join more RPs and with easier access with less searching, there would be much less clutter to dig through, and all-around this would improve the site, or at least I see it as something that would.

Anyone else think this could be a good idea?

But the active RPs are on the first two pages, and then the inactive are every page after that... I really don't see what this would accomplish aside from making an unecessary, extra forum. It won't do anything extra to organize things, it'll just split the forum up for no reason and create uneeded work for the staff. I'm sure if the whole RP system was organized differently, it'd work, but with things the way they are, I don't think so.
^ this.
When you're searching for new RPs to join, you're really only searching the first page of the RP Corner / RP Lounge, because the threads on the other pages have gone for long without posting and are likely to be dead. So the older pages effectively act as an archive already.

What gender does everyone prefer to RP as when they make a character? Is it the same or different from your own? I've always found the answer to be different from person to person. Most of the people I RP with regularly prefer roleplaying the opposite gender, but I'm indifferent for the most part.

Also, is anyone familiar with Fate/Stay Night or Fate/Zero and would have an interest in an RP centered around a different Holy Grail War? I tried to start one in the fall and didn't get much interest, so I want to see if things changed. XD
I used to like to play boy best, I think, but nowadays I play girls more often. I suddenly found myself having only girl characters on all of the RPs I was in. Even in Game of Chance, my character appears to be a boy but is really a girl. I don't think I have a special preference for any gender though.

As for Fate/Stay Night, I've glimpsed the anime briefly but I don't really know what it's about, sorry. Might take a look after I've rewatched Fruits Basket <3

or you could take game of chance where my character is technically both a boy AND a girl
:,D

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
What gender does everyone prefer to RP as when they make a character? Is it the same or different from your own?

WE NEED TO HAVE A DEBATE ABOUT THE PROPER USE OF THE WORD 'GENDER' RIGHT HERE AND RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I AM AN ANGSTY ENGLISH TEACHER.

In 100% of current cases, my personal characters are female. This is mostly because I just don't care about this sort of thing very much, and also because I'm prone to randomly turning males into females midpost through pronoun typos. I'm pretty sure that time I typo'd Doctor Wily as a she scarred me for life. Why... ლ(ಥ_ಥლ)

However, I do play male characters impersonally whenever appropriate or necessary. There are often male characters in my character's past that I've fleshed out in my head and when I'm playing NPCs I make a point to keep their sex ratio somewhat even. I also attempt to keep the gender ratio somewhat balanced when my character is not one person but a group of people, such as my OC for Zerin's zelda RP whom had a male fairy and my team of OCs for The Children are Hunted, two of the five of which were male.

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
Years
What gender does everyone prefer to RP as when they make a character? Is it the same or different from your own?

WE NEED TO HAVE A DEBATE ABOUT THE PROPER USE OF THE WORD 'GENDER' RIGHT HERE AND RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I AM AN ANGSTY ENGLISH TEACHER.

In 100% of current cases, my personal characters are female. This is mostly because I just don't care about this sort of thing very much, and also because I'm prone to randomly turning males into females midpost through pronoun typos. I'm pretty sure that time I typo'd Doctor Wily as a she scarred me for life. Why... ლ(ಥ_ಥლ)

However, I do play male characters impersonally whenever appropriate or necessary. There are often male characters in my character's past that I've fleshed out in my head and when I'm playing NPCs I make a point to keep their sex ratio somewhat even. I also attempt to keep the gender ratio somewhat balanced when my character is not one person but a group of people, such as my OC for Zerin's zelda RP whom had a male fairy and my team of OCs for The Children are Hunted, two of the five of which were male.

For now, I've only RP'ed as male characters within the Pokécommunity, but I actually tend to RP as female characters in other media. Most people will say that it's because of the so-called "Sexy polygons" or whatever, but I prefer RP'ing as a girl or woman due to the challenge.

I love challenging myself in my RP and creativity, and RP'ing as a female is a great challenge, with the emotional twists and turns and trying to -think- like a woman. I don't exclusively RP as females, I do have a couple male characters, but for some reason, my male characters are always horribly bland and gets dull after a while, whereas the female characters stay interesting and fun to RP.

Just my two cents :3

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
So far I've been playing all female, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to play a male. But my biggest worry is I'll probably come out as feminine when I play a male character. xD So, I'll have to practice writing as a male sometime.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015

There are active RPs that rarely use their OOC though, as well as a bunch of landmines closed or ended RPs that have no further use being there. I feel if it were only the active RPs on the actual boards, there'd be a much more sleek and smooth look to it.

As for taking up memory... It wouldn't. It's be the exact same amount of data... just moved to a different page.

It doesn't sound like it'd be a whole lot of effort after the first overhaul. Instead of simply locking or deleting a thread, it would be moved to the archive. If the GM wants it back on the list, they just contact the admin. Simple as that. Because recently-made RPs that have reached a dead-end (including my Minecraft RP, due to low interest and life taking away free time from players) or recently abandoned RPs will still be in those front pages. Not to mention when someone posts in one of those threads and it shoots right back to the top.

To be quite honest, I never even go past the first page.

I think it'd seem... Well, cleaner, to have only the in-progress or just-starting RPs in the regular threads. Separating alive from dead would probably increase the chance of a new RP actually starting off, and getting the players it needs to survive.

Speaking of which, why not add icons for these kinds of things? Like little icons stuck to every RP, meaning "this RP is open for SUs" or "Inactive" or "Dead" or "NEEDS PLAYERS!"

---

By the way, I'm going to go supernova... Soon... It will be glorious...

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
^ Ummmm no. Why fix a system that isn't broken?

Dead RPs are ones that are locked or haven't been posted in within the last month. Open RPs usually say so in their first post. It's as easy as that. The only thing I'd really consider changing is adding prefixes with ratings. I'm pretty sure if you had icons for aliveness or deadness, they can only be changed by a mod after you post a thread. Or is that just titles lol

Also, i prefer playing as a male character nowadays because when I make females, they're always whiny and emotional. Men are too but when they flip out, it's far more fun to portray.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
Youkai academy RP has begun :3

PMD: Victory's Reign... It's dying :I very sad... There's alot of inactivity between the RPers, not only in this RP, also in other RP's. Could it be because most people have school or something?

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
Years
Fate/Stay Night (Fate/Zero) RP? I'd be up for that. :D Fate/Zero is one of the spring anime that I picked up (or rather, continued) and I've already seen Stay Night twice (though still need to play the game).

On a more current topic (as in on this page xD): I prefer playing guys because I'm more comfortable writing as them. With a female I tend to pour more of my own traits into them, which is something I try to avoid as a writer. I'm horrifically paranoid about making a Mary Sue, not that I'm a Sue myself.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
@Skymin, it's always more fun to see a guy flip out.

@PinkSapphire, most people that have school are on finals weeks, where everything's the most frantic.

@the current topic, I usually have them evened out, though my male characters have more similarities to each other than the females. (I have very few guy friends to draw from, and the people I know tend to be the inspiration for personality and appearance traits.)

Also, would anyone be interested in a Persona-related RP? *Waits for Rokusasu to say, "Get on it!"*

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
@Skymin, it's always more fun to see a guy flip out.

@PinkSapphire, most people that have school are on finals weeks, where everything's the most frantic.

@the current topic, I usually have them evened out, though my male characters have more similarities to each other than the females. (I have very few guy friends to draw from, and the people I know tend to be the inspiration for personality and appearance traits.)

Also, would anyone be interested in a Persona-related RP? *Waits for Rokusasu to say, "Get on it!"*
That depends, which Persona?

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I'm planning... My supernova will happen very soon, and the changes will be CATASTROPHIC.

... Or not. But there will be changes.

_

I play as both sexes and I try to play both with relative ease. Though, I am always asking for feedback to my female characters, because I can't really judge whether I'm pulling it off or not.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
:) Would anyone be interested in joining my new RP, Kingdoms At War: The Dark Ages? It's going okay so far. I know Red asked about the RP, so I hope RHCP joins. I'm not forcing anyone of course.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
That depends, which Persona?

I mostly mean mechanics-wise, as the Personae could very easily be Pokémon instead of the SMT roster if anyone's interested in a crossover. Story-wise, it'll likely be similar to Persona 3 with some 4 mixed in (such as the fog).

Considering it's supposed to be a kid-friendly forum, it'd be using tarot cards, so not Persona 3 when it comes to summoning mechanics. However, if allowed, Evokers will be the terminology used (which ended up being how it worked for the non-Japanese release of the game, since shooting oneself in the head with a real gun was undesirable to English translations) and that may be used alongside Type Cards (which I just made up in place of tarot cards and will have to expound on some time later) as another option.

Also... another topic!

What do you think about the "good vs. bad" scenario?

As in, there's two clearly defined moral standings. Honestly, I like it when there's some ambiguity regarding the morality of different sides. Take The Shattered Era, for example; Mechanists can be both "bad" and "good," and the same with the Council citizens. There's no real unified moral position.

Last edited:

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
There are active RPs that rarely use their OOC though, as well as a bunch of landmines closed or ended RPs that have no further use being there. I feel if it were only the active RPs on the actual boards, there'd be a much more sleek and smooth look to it.

As for taking up memory... It wouldn't. It's be the exact same amount of data... just moved to a different page.

It doesn't sound like it'd be a whole lot of effort after the first overhaul. Instead of simply locking or deleting a thread, it would be moved to the archive. If the GM wants it back on the list, they just contact the admin. Simple as that. Because recently-made RPs that have reached a dead-end (including my Minecraft RP, due to low interest and life taking away free time from players) or recently abandoned RPs will still be in those front pages. Not to mention when someone posts in one of those threads and it shoots right back to the top.

To be quite honest, I never even go past the first page.

I think it'd seem... Well, cleaner, to have only the in-progress or just-starting RPs in the regular threads. Separating alive from dead would probably increase the chance of a new RP actually starting off, and getting the players it needs to survive.

If you never go past the first page, how could you claim to think there's an issue with how the things are currently set up? Oo Not to mention I never said anything about 'memory', so I'm not sure where that came from. I really can't see how you're connecting your ideas here? If we took out all of the threads that are 'dead', people would be more likely to join RPs that are active? But those active RPs are already at the top of the list, so once again it isn't necessary. All your idea is, is displacing the threads to create the illusion that things are "neat", when all you're doing is dumping everything into a sub - which doesn't change anything.

Rokusasu said:
Fate/Stay Night (Fate/Zero) RP? I'd be up for that. :D Fate/Zero is one of the spring anime that I picked up (or rather, continued) and I've already seen Stay Night twice (though still need to play the game).

I can't see it getting a lot of members, but I think it'll be better off with a smaller number of players anyways. Focusing on a few Master / Servant pairs will be a lot easier than... all of them, and the other Masters can show up for conflict-y stuff. XD

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Also... another topic!

What do you think about a typical "good vs. bad" scenario? As in, there's two clearly defined moral standings.
I usually prefer a blurred line between good and evil rather than them being distinctive, depending on the complexity of the RP and the storyline. I generally prefer convoluted RPs to simple ones in most cases.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
Years

PERSONA PERSONA PERSONA! 8D I love, love, love, love, love love Persona 3 and 4. I haven't played 2 yet because I'm waiting for Eternal Punishment to come out on PSP and then I can marathon it along with Innocent Sin~ P4G is out this year as is Arena~~~

GET ON IT. <3 (And oh dear, I'm listening to the soundtrack again...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back