• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Research: [GENERAL THREAD] Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver Hacking

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 5, 2022
there was no need for attitude I know about hex editing that is how I have been doing it I was just thinking it would be easier with a pre made tool...

But anyway yes it is exactly the same DPPt so yeah it is pretty simple enough I guess

Could someone who knows how it wirks please explain trainer battles in HGSS (I'm talking Hex)

also incase people wanted to know the offset for movesets starts at (In a clean HG ROM) 29EF818

Last edited:

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
All I know is that it's in ARM, not the usual filesystem. You might have some trouble finding it though because all the overlays are compressed (they weren't in DPPt, but HGSS packs a lot more into the same space).

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2016
Is there a way to change the evolution method of pokemon that evolve while being traded/traded with an item?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 5, 2022
Yes... It's done the exact same way in DPPt look it up I think it's in the Documents and Tutorials section.

simonrule18

Iwant to create my own pokemon
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 18, 2013
hello
can any one tell me how i can edit text in pokemon soul Silver

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I have a few questions:

1. Can .narc files be edited with a hex editor?
2. Is it possible to edit opponent teams with a hex editor?
3. Is it possible to edit the Pokedex order with a hex editor?

Alpha de Splash

DPPtHGSS Researcher
Years
I have a few questions:

1. Can .narc files be edited with a hex editor?
2. Is it possible to edit opponent teams with a hex editor?
3. Is it possible to edit the Pokedex order with a hex editor?

Yes, all possible. Isn't it just nifty what you can do with a hex editor?

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
You must not understand the concept of a hex editor (for the record it could just as easily be a binary, octal, decimal, etc editor, hexadecimal is just a convenient number systems when it codes to computers).

Everything on a computer is represented, on its lowest level, by numbers stored in memory. A file is just one big, long number. Therefore any file can be opened and of course edited in its numeric form. Your success in editing it to achieve a desired effect will depend on how well you understand that file, but it will always be possible.

Since humans aren't machines we find it much easier to understand things other than numbers, so we make programs (which themselves are a number) that will turn that big number of a file into something meaningful, usually graphically.

simonrule18

Iwant to create my own pokemon
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 18, 2013
the patch english for pokemon soul silver is not good
i have error like " rom crashed "

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Yes, all possible. Isn't it just nifty what you can do with a hex editor?
Wow, that is awesome.

Once the official English HG/SS Rom is dumped in March, and if nobody makes a tool to edit trainer teams and the Johto Pokedex order, I'm going to do it myself with a hex editor.

...But I would have to make a table file first...

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Well that would be very unethical to actually create a program with a hex editor? First of all it is mainly for simple byte edits or finding something to use. You would not use it actually to create a full program. You see once you actually find the offset to what you need you can make a program programmed in something else read this if you can get it to load the file etc.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
I think you mean 'inefficient' or 'ineffective', not 'unethical' :P
I think AztecFire meant he's going to edit the Pokédex order directly with a hex editor, rather than wait for tools.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I think you mean 'inefficient' or 'ineffective', not 'unethical' :P
I think AztecFire meant he's going to edit the Pokédex order directly with a hex editor, rather than wait for tools.
Yeah, that's what I meant. And it doesn't matter how I do it, as long as the final outcome is how I want it to be.

Has anyone found out how the trainer data bytes are stored? I remember someone saying that it's different from D/P/Pt, which is why a D/P/Pt trainer editor won't work.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 5, 2022
the gym leaders are sort of similar but the rest I have no clue I haven't been able to find them yet

raupy

A Visual Basic programmer
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 14, 2011
I'm waiting eagerly for a map editor

Waaaah!

D-trough, your're great!

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2010
sprites?

I was wondering is it possible to replace sprites yet on hg/ss i know that some people have been able to replace lugia sprites, and dialga sprites.
I was wondering because I recently made a ash's squirtle sprite sheet, but I have no knowledge of hg/ss hacking to upload this.

Iacobus

sǝɯɐɾ
Years
does any one know which flash cart runs HG/SS the best?
I think almost every flashcard runs HS/SS. Some require patching or the use of cheats, others (the ones getting updated - M3iZero f.e.) don't require any prepatching or the use of cheats. The anti-piracy gets patched when the game loads/runs.

I was wondering is it possible to replace sprites yet on hg/ss i know that some people have been able to replace lugia sprites, and dialga sprites.
I was wondering because I recently made a ash's squirtle sprite sheet, but I have no knowledge of hg/ss hacking to upload this.
You can change the Pokémon sprites with PokéDSPic (Platinum) if the first post is correct:
First Post (D-Trogh) said:
Actual Pokémon Sprites (The NEW ones) are stored in a/0/0/4; 4 being a NARC archive and it uses the Platinum encryption.
For the OWs you can use PokéTEX (in combination with TileMolester for quicker editing).

Back