• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Release] Pokemon: Dawn Of Darkness MMORPG ~Looking For Artist and Mapper Volunteers!!~

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 29, 2015
forumlogo.png

PDoD, Pokémon: Dawn of Darkness is quickly becoming the worlds best (free to play) Pokémon MMORPG available. We have frequent updates and a community growing quicker by the day, this is due partially to the fact we have designed a custom game region and also game engine, not based upon any content you've experienced before brought to you in our own style. This also keeps us flexible in the way we can bring forward new improvements as the engine is developed by us we're able to implement almost anything within the boundaries of our imagination if the idea fits. There isn't going to be many online Pokémon experiences which can provide this for storylines while also providing an engaging competitive scene.

While our main recruitment focus is currently for Artists and Scripters - if you have a talent you think could be of use and are passionate about being creative, we would love to hear from you. You will be joining an established team of around 10 dedicated members already. Even if you would just like to help by downloading and testing the game, reporting the errors you find along the way you are welcome to join our community and promise you will enjoy your stay. Please Note: We are not looking for additional programmers.

Currently the Game Engine supports the following:

- A Stable & Secure Game Server, with 99.9% uptime based on the last 12 months worth of statistics
- Selectable Player Avatars, 12 during registration and 100 available through playing the game. Hundreds of NPC sprites available too.
- Almost 250 in game items, including TMs, various Pokeballs, Potions, Status Cures and others.
- Over 400 in game maps, even every single house in PDoD is unique
- Pokémon up to Gen 4 included, current spawns allow for Pokedex competion of roughly (480/493)
- Nicknamers, Move Tutors, Shops, secure trading, PvP Matchmaking, High Scores and even an elite level difficulty nuzlocke game mode.
- Community built project, feel inspired to create your own levels? storylines/quests? Get involved.
- To add a little icing to the cake, the project is updated all the time and will always remain free to play!

Thank you for taking the time to read our topic, please visit www.pdod.net to enjoy the game, you may also want to contact our Game Staff regarding any positions you are interested in. I have decided to go in to further details about the positions available below for anyone which is interested. Before reading further I would like to stress that this is a hobby project, therefore all of the members of the team are here on a voluntary basis. Our goal is to be creative and be able to enjoy these creations with our community.

Graphics
For a Graphics Team position, please create a Showcase topic showing your skills in the Graphics Section of the Forum, this will allow us to review your skills and allow our team and community provide advise to help you improve and/or adapt to suit the style of artwork the game requires. Alternatively if you are confident you may contact the head developer (admin) via the forums.

Pixel Artists (2)
We would like to expand our selection of player avatars, npc sprites, tileset artwork and Pokémon form variations.

Digital Artists (2)
This would be for artists capable of rendering things like background images, interface work, website artwork and other styles of art too.

World Scripters (3)
PDoD has it's own scripting language which has been designed from the ground up to be as simple to learn as possible staying as close to written English as possible, although this still leaves us open to more complex processing when it's required. This means anyone with any kind of basic scripting, programming or even web development experience would be able to pick the language up with ease. These users are what bring our NPC's to life, making them able to behave differently based on in game events & achievements or starting a fierce duel. The NPC Scripting Team also have the task of turning the Quest Writers work in to real in-game Quests so you don't have to be creative in a storyline sense to be able to get involved either.
Pdod.nethttp://Pokemondod.com NOTE: Website is currently under construction and will be undergoing a MAJOR update and change. This is only a temporary solution while we complete the website.

Introduction:

Pokemon Dawn of Darkness is a Free to Play Pokemon MMO that has been under development for a couple of years now. Our goal is to uniquely combine the best of Pokemon and the Massive Multiplayer Online game experiences into one package. You can interact with your friends by trading, battling, chatting and much more in the vast world across an entire, 100% custom designed region never before seen. We are striving to be unique in as many ways as possible, while staying true to the Pokemon themes we have all grown to love. The game story and plot is still under development, but is expected to be like nothing else before.

Development Team:

Founder/Developer: SickBailey
Head of Game Staff: Novalis
Head of Graphics: SEED
Mapping Team: Rhino, Monster415, RaiRai
Game Script Editor: Pichu001

Developmental Resources:
The Game Engine is programmed from scratch by sickbailey. There is no use of any previously created Game Engine, RPG Maker or anything of the nature. The PDoD Map Maker is also a sickmafia production, using a newly designed system that allows for more map features, animated maps, and more. Game scripts, NPCs all have been done from scratch as well. The story and plot are also being written completely independent of any other game or story.

Server Stability:
Pokemon Dawn Of Darkness is proud to uphold to a promise of 99% server up time. In the past, the server has gone as many as 3 months without a single crash during closed Pre-Alpha testing phases, only going down for routine maintenance and regular updates. Recently, due to the increase in player base and unexpected growth, the server has been operating on new extremes. This has caused the server to react in unexpected ways and has caused the security features of the server to misread incoming data. Player connections can be closed and disconnected as they are misread by the server as false positives. However, server up time has for the most part remained unaffected. The source of this problem has been identified and after our most recent updates on May 1st and 2nd, been fixed, at least temporarily. The server will be undergoing changes and will be incorporating a new socket design that is expected to completely eliminate the problem.

Update Log

Spoiler:

Features:

Movement Engine
  • Mouse Movement
  • Map Loading
  • Map Scrolling
  • Arrow Keys
  • WASD Support

Gotta Catch Them All:
  • Over 300 Pokemon Currently Available
  • Happiness Evolution
  • Stone Evolution
  • Pokemon Follow Sprites
  • Shiny Pokemon!
  • Working Pokedex

Spoiler:

Communication:
  • Regional Chat. Talk and chat with players within the same map and adjacent maps
  • Private Messaging
  • Friend System with easy addition and removal. Up to 100 friends

Spoiler:

Item, Inventory and Pokemon Storage:
  • Pokemon Storage System. Deposit, Withdraw, Release and more.
  • Special items such as Bike, Old Rod, Good Rod, running shoes
  • Shops in every town and a deparment store that sells various items such as TMs, EV Berries etc.

Battle System:
  • Hybrid Battle System, mix of battle system from Generations 2, 3 and 4
  • Several Hundred working attacks with more coming with every update
  • Fully working Effort Value and Individual Value system
  • Fully working Nature system
  • Fully working Same Type Attack Bonus (STAB)
  • Much More!!

Spoiler:

Trade System:
  • Scam Prevention System
  • Trade window with private chat
  • Exchange Pokemon and game currency
  • Ability to Review trade before accepting
Spoiler:

Many More Features coming with every update!

Coming Soon
Spoiler:

Help Wanted! We are looking for talented volunteers that would willing to help us development. We are primarily looking for Pixel Artists for spriting Pokemon, tiles, tile sets, NPCs, Trainers, faceshots etc. In addition to artists, we are looking for mappers, experienced and new alike. We have an original map maker that is a little different then most traditional map making software. If you are interested in helping please let me know!

I will add regular updates and check this thread daily to keep everybody informed on progress. Please, if you have any questions at all, please let me know with a reply here or a friendly private message.

~SickMafia Productions, Bringing forward Online Gaming, The Way You Want It.

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Lump Appraiser
Years
Wow, this looks really cool! :) I like the original designwork you're using, it really sets it apart from other MMOs in the development section. I love the idea of trading items and money. This is shaping up to look like a very interesting game which I am anxious to see finished. Good work and good luck, it's looking very nice so far! :)

Novalis

Hisorian
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
Thanks for the words of encouragement! We are doing our best to make ourselves as distinguishable from other games of our genre as possible, and hopefully the best ;).

Novalis

Hisorian
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
I could try to sprite pokemon. Just tell me what to do and i try if i can make it.

Basically what I'm looking for is people who would be interested in joining the Graphics Team. Although there is a bit of an application process, we can't just take any and everybody who would want to join. There is also a certain level of quality we expect as we do with everything else.

Although if you're interested just register on the forum. I've added a link to the website on the main post, and from there you can navigate your way to the forums.

Upon registration, you should post a showcase of your talent under the Graphics section of the forum. From there we would begin the application process.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
I think this is a very interesting project. I'm eager to see how this works out for you guys. Do you plan on ever adding generation 5 Pokemon?

Novalis

Hisorian
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
No, we actually don't have any plans on adding any fifth generation Pokemon, for various reasons. The overworld sprites (or lack of) is a big one. Several other reasons as well but I won't bore you with them lol.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
No, we actually don't have any plans on adding any fifth generation Pokemon, for various reasons. The overworld sprites (or lack of) is a big one. Several other reasons as well but I won't bore you with them lol.

What are the other reasons, because there is a pack with all ow sprites of the Unova pokémon if i am not mistaken.

Novalis

Hisorian
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
Well we won't be using anything that isn't originally created by anybody outside the staff. Aside from that, we are trying to differentiate ourselves a little from the current Pokemon franchise. I won't be going into too much detail about the reasoning.

EDIT: I've added an update log to the main post to help keep everybody informed of our regular progress. Updates mainly will apply to Server and Client, some news will also be included.

Last edited:

Novalis

Hisorian
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
Updated the Update log. Our site's wiki has recently been deleted and started over from scratch so that it may contain as much up to date and relevant information as possible. New additions to developmental staff sections. Large update from version v.0.2.3 to v.0.2.4. Updates are both server side and client side.

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
Years
must say i really enjoyed what I played a today. Wish it had at least forth gen sprites and tiles but its really good on almost all other points. First gym is a bit tough though :/

Novalis

Hisorian
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
When is the game going to use 4th gen sprites for Pokemon?

We have no plans to ever use 4th generation sprites. Instead, we are currently in the process of re-doing every sprite, from scratch. Meaning we will be using 100% original sprites of the 493 Pokemon from generations 1 through 4. SEED, our graphics head has completed the front sets of the 493 Pokemon. Much more work still needs to be completed though, but they are beautiful.

must say i really enjoyed what I played a today. Wish it had at least forth gen sprites and tiles but its really good on almost all other points. First gym is a bit tough though :/

As for the tiles, I'll say the same about the sprites. We are planning on having our own tilesets as well, so that the game is as unique as possible. The first couple of gyms are a little tough until your Pokemon can be leveled up faster. But it wouldn't be very fun if they were easy ;). They aren't impossible, but they are gym leaders after all.

Last edited:

Novalis

Hisorian
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
Its about Time you posted this novails

Certainly is.

Another update today, more behind the scenes stuff though. Updated server anti-lag core, further stabilizing the server. We've also recently added a lighthouse map with several floors that has let way for new species of Pokemon to be included in the game!

Novalis

Hisorian
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
Still going as strong as ever! News on a big update coming soon.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 15, 2014
This game is still going strong but under a new domain, as I don't have the post count to post a link you'll have to google it for yourselves guys.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 29, 2015
Hey pokecommunity, wanting to let you all know that our Mmorpg is progressing very nicely and we have had a lot of exciting updates.
Very important however, is to tell you that our webdomain is no longer the one mentioned in this post, we had to change it to pdod.net, it should be the first result if you google it.

Anyway here is a message from our developer sickbailey:

PDoD, Pokémon: Dawn of Darkness is quickly becoming the worlds best (free to play) Pokémon MMORPG available. We have frequent updates and a community growing quicker by the day, this is due partially to the fact we have designed a custom game region and also game engine, not based upon any content you've experienced before brought to you in our own style. This also keeps us flexible in the way we can bring forward new improvements as the engine is developed by us we're able to implement almost anything within the boundaries of our imagination if the idea fits. There isn't going to be many online Pokémon experiences which can provide this for storylines while also providing an engaging competitive scene.

While our main recruitment focus is currently for Artists and Scripters - if you have a talent you think could be of use and are passionate about being creative, we would love to hear from you. You will be joining an established team of around 10 dedicated members already. Even if you would just like to help by downloading and testing the game, reporting the errors you find along the way you are welcome to join our community and promise you will enjoy your stay. Please Note: We are not looking for additional programmers.

Currently the Game Engine supports the following:

- A Stable & Secure Game Server, with 99.9% uptime based on the last 12 months worth of statistics
- Selectable Player Avatars, 12 during registration and 100 available through playing the game. Hundreds of NPC sprites available too.
- Almost 250 in game items, including TMs, various Pokeballs, Potions, Status Cures and others.
- Over 400 in game maps, even every single house in PDoD is unique
- Pokémon up to Gen 4 included, current spawns allow for Pokedex competion of roughly (480/493)
- Nicknamers, Move Tutors, Shops, secure trading, PvP Matchmaking, High Scores and even an elite level difficulty nuzlocke game mode.
- Community built project, feel inspired to create your own levels? storylines/quests? Get involved.
- To add a little icing to the cake, the project is updated all the time and will always remain free to play!

Thank you for taking the time to read our topic, please visit www.pdod.net to enjoy the game, you may also want to contact our Game Staff regarding any positions you are interested in. I have decided to go in to further details about the positions available below for anyone which is interested. Before reading further I would like to stress that this is a hobby project, therefore all of the members of the team are here on a voluntary basis. Our goal is to be creative and be able to enjoy these creations with our community.

Graphics
For a Graphics Team position, please create a Showcase topic showing your skills in the Graphics Section of the Forum, this will allow us to review your skills and allow our team and community provide advise to help you improve and/or adapt to suit the style of artwork the game requires. Alternatively if you are confident you may contact the head developer (admin) via the forums.

Pixel Artists (2)
We would like to expand our selection of player avatars, npc sprites, tileset artwork and Pokémon form variations.

Digital Artists (2)
This would be for artists capable of rendering things like background images, interface work, website artwork and other styles of art too.

World Scripters (3)
PDoD has it's own scripting language which has been designed from the ground up to be as simple to learn as possible staying as close to written English as possible, although this still leaves us open to more complex processing when it's required. This means anyone with any kind of basic scripting, programming or even web development experience would be able to pick the language up with ease. These users are what bring our NPC's to life, making them able to behave differently based on in game events & achievements or starting a fierce duel. The NPC Scripting Team also have the task of turning the Quest Writers work in to real in-game Quests so you don't have to be creative in a storyline sense to be able to get involved either.

Back