• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Member interaction center

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I think as suggested a few posts above, you could provide the time interval of members to sign up to create their threads. For example, let's say that tomorrow, you could allow about, I dunno, 5-10 people to sign up to create threads, and those threads can be approved, while the rest ask questions, or whatever. The people who signed up could wait a couple of weeks before posting one again, or maybe there can be a general wait list for people to create threads?

Whichever the case can be, maybe by having a smaller number of threads at one time, there can be more encouragements for people to ask questions to members that they don't know or don't speak to on a regular basis.. I mean, of course, it's ultimately the members' decisions and initiatives to ask questions to the people that interest them, but you know, even the smallest encouragements can help?
This may help, coupled with a sign up thread sticky.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I'm okay with that restriction. I don't like the idea of restricting people with X amount of posts. I think it's at least worth a shot. We've never really had anything like this before, and I think testing the waters (maybe have a trial period where supporters can access it to see how it works and how well it holds up?) a bit could help. Worse case scenario is it doesn't turn out to be what I'm hoping (and expecting) it will be.

I mocked up a forum:

eYiAyKZ.png

Honest

Hi!
Years
Oh, I like the waitlist idea a whole lot better than the "must be a member for x amount of time/have x amount of posts" one. I feel like that method would be a whole lot organized and neater. I'd say a maximum of 10 per week, and then after the next week, another 10, and so on till the cycle eventually repeats itself. There's a first come first serve basis on that, true, but your turn will inevitably come. And if there really is a massive amount, we can always increase the number of threads to 15 or even 20 per week.

I really like this idea. And I like the screenie, Nick. :3

Honest

Hi!
Years
I think Nick said that he wanted it as a stand alone forum, which technically isn't a terrible idea. I don't see why we can't implement it. Personally, I feel like it'd serve better as a subforum for CCP (not WL), but I can see why Nick would want it as a stand alone forum. More publicity and it kind of makes it more important, imo. Don't know if Nick sees it the same way as me, but that's just me!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Oh, I like the waitlist idea a whole lot better than the "must be a member for x amount of time/have x amount of posts" one. I feel like that method would be a whole lot organized and neater. I'd say a maximum of 10 per week, and then after the next week, another 10, and so on till the cycle eventually repeats itself. There's a first come first serve basis on that, true, but your turn will inevitably come. And if there really is a massive amount, we can always increase the number of threads to 15 or even 20 per week.

I really like this idea. And I like the screenie, Nick. :3
We can have a public waiting list and an expected release date per each thread. List all of the threads that were posted in the first post (remove them after they're approved) and put a date next to them for when the moderator is preparing to release them. That way, people know that a) their thread was received and b) there thread will be posted.

Nick, do you feel that it would be better as a forum section entirely on it's own or perhaps a subform of NU/W (I am forever calling the Welcome Lounge this, idc lmao)? Just curious or whether or not it matters.
I don't think that it would fair well as a subforum for NU/W, because I don't think that this forum is meant for new members. I'd rather it be a stand-alone forum, at least in the beginning and especially since we rebranded the off topic forums to each have an individual purpose. MIC's purpose doesn't really align with any of the off topic forums, I don't think. Maybe with CC&P, a little, but not enough to make it a sub-forum of it, I don't think.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
The waitlist idea sounds really good imo.
A standalone forum? It could work. Good luck on this guys. If you need help, I'm there.
Edit : How are we going to deal with spammers? Especially the "romhacking" types.

Honest

Hi!
Years
We can have a public waiting list and an expected release date per each thread. List all of the threads that were posted in the first post (remove them after they're approved) and put a date next to them for when the moderator is preparing to release them. That way, people know that a) their thread was received and b) there thread will be posted.

Exactly! Should there be a cap to the waiting list, though? Like, maximum 50 or 100? I'd personally say no, cause that'd be unfair if a person who's late really wants to reserve a spot, a cap might just drag things out, but I want your opinion Nick. =D

I don't think that it would fair well as a subforum for NU/W, because I don't think that this forum is meant for new members. I'd rather it be a stand-alone forum, at least in the beginning and especially since we rebranded the off topic forums to each have an individual purpose. MIC's purpose doesn't really align with any of the off topic forums, I don't think. Maybe with CC&P, a little, but not enough to make it a sub-forum of it, I don't think.

I can see the logic in that.

tigerBLADE

1000://PowHammers
Years
A standalone forum? It could work. Good luck on this guys. If you need help, I'm there.
Edit : How are we going to deal with spammers? Especially the "romhacking" types.

Well, like said before, there can be mod approval before a thread can be created, so, they can just check off a spammy thread before it's officially created.

Plus the whole forum can be checked regularly be moderators.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
The same way we deal with spammers elsewhere. Delete their posts and infract them, if need be. Personally, I don't see why people would spam this forum. Especially since I don't think I'd want to have post count enabled here. The purpose of the forum is strictly to learn more about the members who you see every day, not to increase your post count. Spamming is usually done to benefit the spammer, like in Trade Corner, spamming is done by most people because they want a Pokémon. In rom hacking, spamming is done because they want to know when something is going to be released. Spamming doesn't really happen in Forum Games, because nothing really comes to immediate benefit the spammer, and this forum isn't meant to benefit people replying to threads past "Oh I feel like I know more about you now!" "Oh, we have that in common!" and incentive to interact with a member and become friends.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Postcount off is a so good idea. I have a non-interesting idea.
-What about a thread like the "New User of the Week/Month"? It would focus on getting to know new users more. Although, they do it in Welcome Lounge too
Just a random idea. Preparing for further brainstorming...

Honest

Hi!
Years
Postcount off is a so good idea. I have a non-interesting idea.
-What about a thread like the "New User of the Week/Month"? It would focus on getting to know new users more. Although, they do it in Welcome Lounge too
Just a random idea. Preparing for further brainstorming...

With the sheer number of members that join per day, I think that wouldn't be the best of ideas. It also kind of stays from what the topic is about. :x

If you were to suggest MIC thread of the week or something (member thread of the week, etc), it'd still be a bad idea. There's no reason to give one person out of however many we'd let per week get more attention than the others. It'd also unintentionally insinuate a popularity contest-like sort of scenario. Which would be bad.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I don't think it's fair to feature a member a week. Everyone is equal in the MIC.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Btw how many people will be able to make a thread at once? And for how many time will the thread stay before another cycle?

Honest

Hi!
Years
Nathan, read man. :c

Nothing's set in stone, obviously, but people have recommended a waiting list where new people's threads go up every week. I'm gonna guess the number of treads correlates with the number of people who sign up.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I think 10 is a good number for the beginning. 10 a week, and when a moderator notices a new thread, they'll check it out and add it to the waiting list if it's approved. Threads will stay indefinitely after they're approved, but we'd only approve 10 a week to make sure everyone gets a chance to have people ask them questions and nobody goes unnoticed.

Honest

Hi!
Years
So, does all the positive support mean it'll be going up soon, or would hstaff still need time to ponder?

Excuse me if I seem hasty, I just genuinely think this is a brilliant idea that could become a staple of PC. =D

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Needless to say, I'm going to be extremely disappointed (and bitter) if this doesn't happen because I'm really excited about it too! But it's still yet to go up in HQ and that's a necessity.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
At first I wasn't all for the idea, but after all the posts, it seems like an excellent idea. I think the waiting list is probably gonna be best cause it would allow only a certain amount of user to sign up and prevents an overload of members creating their thread all at once. Would the moderator of the thread would approve of a thread based on how long they've been on the form/how many post they have or would it be open to everyone? I think any member should be able to use it cause it could be an opportunity to get to know someone new. I say at first the limit should be 10-15 members/threads per week and then as the forum gets bigger and more used, then it could be increased to 20-30.

Melody

Banned
Years
I think 10 is a good number for the beginning. 10 a week, and when a moderator notices a new thread, they'll check it out and add it to the waiting list if it's approved. Threads will stay indefinitely after they're approved, but we'd only approve 10 a week to make sure everyone gets a chance to have people ask them questions and nobody goes unnoticed.

Personally I'm not a fan of rate limiting the number of threads that are approved. I think it'd stifle the growth of the section way too early in it's life and make some members feel like it's too much trouble. I'd much rather there be an active thread as soon as the mod approves it to be honest, and if thread approvals HAVE TO be spaced out, then space it out over a shorter period like say, a day or two days, and temporarily pin the newly approved ones so that the activity down below doesn't have to override the limelight of the newly created ones. We could do something reasonable like 3-4 every other day or something, and there's more than enough S-mods and qualified mods to handle that even if the section is only granted one moderator or something at first. (So you'd only need to pick one existing mod, and a new mod for example)

Back