• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Sawk VS (Emboar) (NU Matchup #1)

Which fighting type can take out the competition best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hey guys! Weekly polls are back, however a little different this time around. When comparing the two, I want you to also base it on which you'd use competitively, which do you think has the better chance, which you used in-game, which you like the design-of best, and what strategies you think one could use to beat the other. Each week these polls will continue until all combinations and tiers are used up (each Pokemon compared will be from the same competitive tier). To find out more about tiers, and how you can get the most out of these Pokemon, check out Battle Center. So which do you choose? Don't forget to post in the thread when voting in the poll, either!

ukZ6f.png

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I'm not really a fan of using either of the two. However, my vote will go to Emboar because I found it much more useful in-game. Going solely on competitive, I'd pick Sawk because of how useful Sturdy is, but when I used Sawk in my Hall of Fame Challenge, it didn't fare as well as the other Pokemon on the team. Emboar on the other hand wasn't bad, and its largeish movepool was good.

Years
I like how strong both these Pokemon are, but I settled on Emboar in the end.

It's got a good movepool to use in-game, and the B2/W2 Move Tutors expanded it to include some good moves like ThunderPunch and Fire Punch. Sawk on the other hand is more useful in competitive battles thanks to Sturdy allowing it to survive one-hit KOs.

However, I think Emboar's movepool won this one for me. It also hits really hard with Hammer Arm and I was able to take out several opponents with it.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I voted for Sawk. While I like both of them a lot, Sawk is a lot less risky to use. Emboar's most common moveset is comprised of mostly recoil moves, which when combined with its low speed makes it very easy to revenge kill.

Meanwhile Sawk sacrifices some strength for much more staying power, along with greater speed, which in my experience makes it much better at its role.

Against each other, even if Emboar was max speed to somehow outspeed a non-scarfed Sawk it can't OHKO it with Sturdy. Even with max HP/DEF Evs Emboar still has a chance of being OHKOd with Sawk's Earthquake. As such, I'm not really sure if there is any way Emboar can beat Sawk by itself without devoting its entire build to it.

My answer stays the same for in-game purposes, too. Lacking speed AND defenses makes life more difficult even against NPCs (especially if you like to do PWT triples, like me, to farm BP faster).

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Although Sawk has better fighting type moves Emboar has somewhat a better movepool which can come in handy.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I tended to use other Fighting types other than Sawk - I don't like how it looks for some reason (at this point, Mienfoo and Bisharp and others are more to my liking than Sawk, or even Throh). Meanwhile, Tepig was my starter, so I'd be silly to say I prefer Sawk here over Emboar, who roasted many a marshmellow on the evenings we settled down in a remote section of a random Route between towns. You gotta love that!

Cyclone

Years
First off, just want to say that Emboar has a beard of fire. Now, read that again and let it dawn on you. A BEARD OF FIRE! 50 points for Emboar.

Anywho, I'm not sure who is better, having never used either one. (I've used Pignite, though)
Emboar has a much more diverse moveset, even though it doesn't learn great fighting stab moves by leveling up. (although with infinite tms, good fighting moves are always available) Sawk, however, has a lot of fighting moves, but it has the better of the two abilities (sturdy, not inner focus ew) and can access different typed moves via tms/move tutoring. Although, I think that Sawk has the better stat spread. Emboar can't seem to decide if it's a mixed attacker or a tank, so it just kind of does both, but not super well. Emboar has great attack and special attack, but is very slow. And along with being slow, it doesn't have the defenses to back it up. AND it has a lot of recoil moves to wittle down it's decent HP. I honestly wish they got rid of the nice special attack and spread it out to between defense, special defense and HP, since Emboar learns a lot of physical moves and just has better attack already.

Sawk, is kind of better at what emboar is trying to be: an attacking machine that can hold its own a bit. With a good speed and decent defenses/HP, Sawk can strike first and take the next hit, which will be a poweful first strike due to its nice attack. And, even if it is OHKO'D - oh wait! It can't! So no matter what, your Sawk will be around for two turns, where it should hopefully be able to hit hard and fast.

So I vote for Sawk, sorry firebeard. :(

*Also, if my analysis seems off, tell me, because I'm just glancing at their stats, and I don't really know much about Competitive Battling XD

Years
I'll preface this by saying that I haven't used either of the two that much, but my vote would go to Emboar. It has a larger movepool to choose from, and isn't a one-dimensional attacker like Sawk. That being said, Emboar's Attack stat is almost as high as Sawk's is, plus it has a respectable Special Attack, whereas Sawk's is one of the worst.

I'm also not really a fan of using single-type Pokemon, which also gives Emboar a bit of an advantage.

Years
I personally voted for Sawk.

Emboar was great going through the game with its wide movepool, which allows it to cover almost everything neutrally. Despite this, Sawk came through for me, because it can take a hit due to Sturdy and also has some pretty powerful STAB moves. Not to mention that Emboar lacks both speed and defenses.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
Ok so i'm voted for Emboar cuz, hes a fire boar and thats + 100 pts.

He was my sole unova starter in both versions and was very effective in-story. Sawk may be a bit better than emboar overall competitively but emboar has better coverage and flame charge boosting speed at will.

Design wise Emboar beats sawk. Cuz even tho I(admitedly) didnt like emboar's design at first, he grew on me quickly and I came to love 'em. Sawk on the other hand...just looks weird to me..and kinda creepy.

in Sawk vs Emboar i dont believe sawk cant 1HKO Emboar with anything so round 1: Sawk uses close combat, emboar uses flame charge. 2: Emboar outspeeds and kos with flare blitz and faints from recoil...yup

Anyway, Emboar is the winner in my book.

Pvt Tamama

Chii!
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
Sawk because emboar has a ton more weakness than sawk and emboars ability dosent help that much while sawks prevents any 1 hit KO's Emboar is all way more common than sawk due to the fact that he is one of the starters (sorta)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I don't care about tiers or competitive battling or anything like that. All I know is that Emboar is one fugly, slow critter and Sawk is a slightly-less-fugly, quicker critter. As such, it wins my vote with absolute ease.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hmm so, I've used both. Sawk I've used more on a competitive level and it was definitely useful/strong, and the Sturdy ability does help, but as for Emboar I've used less on a competitive level, and it seemed to stand out more in-game really. However, based purely on who'd win, it'd be CB Sawk, but based on what'd get the most OHKOs, I think probs Emboar, plus it can go special or physical too! Soooo I vote Emboar. :)

Autophobic

Fearing Isolation
Years
Competitively, I pick Sawk. I can't tell you how many times I've got owned by this guy, compared to how easy it is to take out Emboar.

Nakala Pri

I used Sawk on my old file and he was really powerful. Close Combat got me really far, I haven't used Emboar yet, mainly because I'm not much of a fan of fire type. I would highly recommend having at least one fighting type. And I'm sure everyone knows this by now, but normal type in really, really, really bad.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
I voted for Sawk because they are just better competitively, but in-game I used Emboar. Emboar has a good movepool, but I just think Sawk is generally better, imo.

Back