• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen First pokemon game...

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
Hey, I just got Pokemon X and its my first pokemon game ever and I was looking for some general advice about team construction and an effective strategy for moves (like is it better to be more debuff oriented or buff oriented or what...). I am working on getting to the 3rd gym leader so I understand

Some more specific questions that I have...

1) what are the cant miss pokemon... I got an abra already, but I wonder if its the only thing I've come across or are there other game changers that are easily farmable...

2) someone could be fantastic and explain the strategy behind move sets for their pokemon and what they do with respect to buffing/debuffing/attacking etc etc (pointing to a guide is very cool also)

3) breeding... I don't have a clue on how to do it (I put my combusken and my pigeotto in the daycare but no luck on the eggs yet) I think I can breed starters and trade them right (trying to not be a bad member of the trading community) is there any guide out there on this...

4). Leveling. It seems like I'm running up on the level cap with my best couple of Pokemon pretty regularly, will the Pokemon stop leveling when I hit the current cap or will they continue to level and what happens then....

5) my current team of Pokemon is blastoise (37) Braxien (35) Pikachu (34) Kadabra (29) Tyrunt (32) Machop (27) does that look decent or is it flawed in some way... I try to "catch em all" as best I can and have some other pokemon in my boxes from up to this point (Mawlie meditite onix eevee cubone axew pancham kirilia among others) should i be ok rolling with my current team or should is there a flaw to the team that i need to fix.

6) TMs and HMs what's the differences and how to keep my team useful... Right now I have Machop with strength and rock smash and Braxien with cut. Is there a great catch all for using the TMs and HMs or is spreading them around a good thing

Well thanks for reading my poorly formatted wall of text (Sent from my iPad.) any advice would be great I also wonder how to do trades with reputable people to get my Kadabra evolved... But I can wait a bit(need to figure out my friend code first ) and again thanks much for any help.

Years
If I may? I haven't played this one yet, but im sure its still the same, so you might want to switch out kadabra and machop for something else because they only evolve by trade (well machop evolves into machoke and then evolves by trade. Also Cubuskien wont breed with your pidgeotto (I dont think so atleast) use a ditto. It will work. I recommend that when you or if you have found snorlax you swap it for machop, it can learn strength and rocksmash I believe (tho I wouldn't teach snorlax rocksmash...) also you should switch kadabra also because your starter is fire psychic. Hmm, switch it with gloomy? Its final evolution apparently has 600 base stats. Well I hope these suggestions helped. I can't say to much about stratiges until I play it tho. Well anyways goodluck and I hope these tips helped :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
So I'm a pokemon nub but I know some stuff:

1) Err... get Honedge
2) Well move sets depend on what you want that pokemon's purpose to be on your team. If a pokemon is an attacker it's a good idea to give it a buffing move. (swords dance, dragon dance, nasty plot, ect.)
3) Well you can breed almost all pokemon with a ditto. Also, two pokemon must be in the same egg groups to breed. Combusken and Pidgeotto aren't, so they won't make eggs. Ditto is an exception of course, and can breed with all pokemon that can breed. (everything but legendaries, baby pokemon, and other dittos)
4) Level 100 is max level
5) Looks fine for a playthrough.
6) I like to avoid the HMs, except for the good ones. Strength, surf and waterfall are basically the only good HMs. They take up a move slot and usually suck effectiveness wise. What I do is bring a random pokemon from my PC I taught cut,rock smash, ect. And use it only to cut and rock smash, and put it back once I'm done using it.

I hope I helped at least a little bit.

Years
Right, I'll try to answer your questions step-by-step, as posters above me have, and I will most likely repeat what they have said as well.

1) In my opinion the only can't miss Pokémon are the legendaries. For the others you will still have plenty of opportunities to catch them.

2) It really differs per person. I personally like to make use of type matchups more than anything. For a small guide on type matchups, take a look at this table: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Type_chart
This will help you what moves to use against what Pokémon.
Apart from that you may have noticed each stats a Pokémon has.
HP (straightforward)
Attack (boosts the power of Physical moves)
Defense (decreases damage taken from Physical moves)
Sp. Atk (boosts the power of Special moves)
Sp. Def (decreases damage taken from Special moves)
Speed (Determines which Pokémon goes first in battle, the Pokémon with higher speed will go first) (Take note: Some moves are "priority moves" such as Extremespeed, they allow Pokémon to attack first even when they are slower)

So from these stats I determine what type of moves I will teach my Pokémon. For example my Gardevoir has an insane Sp. Atk, but only a moderate Attack. With this in mind I have taught him Psychic, Dazzling Gleam, Calm Mind and Double Team. Since Gardevoir is a Psychic/Fairy type, I have Psychic and Dazzling Gleam for offense. A move of the same type as the Pokémon will deal more damage than a move that is not of the same type, such as Flamethrower on Gardevoir.

I have Calm Mind to boost his already high Sp. Atk, so I can easily defeat my opponents even if my moves are not Super-Effective. I have Double Team to raise my chance to dodge attacks, it gives some defense against all attacks.

3) For Breeding I primarily use a Ditto. There are certain "egg groups" as well though. An "egg group" is basically an assembly of Pokémon that can breed with one another. You can find them here: http://www.serebii.net/pokemon_advance/egg-group.shtml

4) Well the level cap is 100, so you won't see that anytime soon. When your Pokémon hits 100, they can not level any further.

5) For your party I would recommend to replace Machop, Kadabra and Tyrunt. Machop and Kadabra will fall behind on stats since they can only evolve fully via trades, and Tyrunt, in my opinion, just has too many weaknesses.
Since you have Blastoise, Braixen and Pikachu left, I think it's worth looking at Pokémon with a high base Attack, since they all have higher Sp. Atk.

6) HMs are moves you can use outside of battle, and apart from Surf and Fly, that's where they are most useful. TMs on the other hand can be very good, such as TM29: Psychic. It's one TM I teach every Psychic Type Pokémon I train.
When choosing moves, I'd say take Thunderbolt over Thunder, and Flamethrower over Fire Blast / Overheat, Ice Beam over Blizzard etc.
Thunderbolt, Flamethrower and Ice Beam and the sorts all have more PP and more Accuracy, even though they have less power. I think the sacrifice in power is worth the gain in PP and Accuracy.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
Thanks for the responses all as far as the level cap issue I think I'm not making my point correctly what I mean by level cap is the cap based on my current badge, like having the second badge gives me a message saying that I can control pokemon up to level 40 or am I just crazy??? Also since I should get rid of the machoke and Kadabra because they aren't fully evolved how's about someone friend me and trade with me and then trade them back so I can have the nice stuffs. My code is. 0576-4210-8870 thanks again

SamStyle

Mega Bidoof
Years
Thanks for the responses all as far as the level cap issue I think I'm not making my point correctly what I mean by level cap is the cap based on my current badge, like having the second badge gives me a message saying that I can control pokemon up to level 40 or am I just crazy??? Also since I should get rid of the machoke and Kadabra because they aren't fully evolved how's about someone friend me and trade with me and then trade them back so I can have the nice stuffs. My code is. 0576-4210-8870 thanks again

I'll add you i need to evolve my kadabra too aswell as a graveler if you're up for it

Years
I mean by level cap is the cap based on my current badge, like having the second badge gives me a message saying that I can control pokemon up to level 40 or am I just crazy???

Ah I see what you mean now, nope you are not crazy. If your Pokémon are too high leveled with too little badges, they won't listen to your commands.
For instance:
You are a trainer with 2 badges.
You have a Mewtwo of level 100.
*Enter Fight*
*GO Mewtwo!!*
Then you have the option to use a move, you use Psychic.
Mewtwo can do a few things now. One of them is to fall asleep, because he's not really bothered, another is to just use another move, another is to not attack at all, and another is to actually use Psychic.

This is done so that people don't use extremely overleveled Pokémon to go through the gyms. (And in my opinion the cap should be lowered as well)

Back