• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2014
Any recommendations for a Butterfree moveset? I don't have any great ideas for a held item. My Butterfree has Tinted Lenses (Dream World) and a Sassy nature (Sp. Def. +, Speed - I believe). I'm 99.9% sure I want Sleep Powder, but the rest I'm not sure about. Years ago before B&W came out, I was recommend I add Dream Eater/Psychic, Supersonic, and Whirlwind/Attract (thinking of using Attract), but I think things are different now that it doesn't have the increased accuracy of Compound Eyes. I also think it has some Bug-type moves that look appealing, and that's very tempting especially with STAB.

i was thinking about adding butterfree to my team as well. glad you brought it up.

i was thinking for mine...

timid butterfree with compound eyes.

sleep powder
u turn/bug buzz
physic
safeguard/protect. thats just me though. i havnt decided yet.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
is it true that if you breed with 2 ditters they make a randem pokermern?
Nope. You don't get anything by breeding 2 Ditto
Any recommendations for a Butterfree moveset? I don't have any great ideas for a held item. My Butterfree has Tinted Lenses (Dream World) and a Sassy nature (Sp. Def. +, Speed - I believe). I'm 99.9% sure I want Sleep Powder, but the rest I'm not sure about. Years ago before B&W came out, I was recommend I add Dream Eater/Psychic, Supersonic, and Whirlwind/Attract (thinking of using Attract), but I think things are different now that it doesn't have the increased accuracy of Compound Eyes. I also think it has some Bug-type moves that look appealing, and that's very tempting especially with STAB.

i was thinking about adding butterfree to my team as well. glad you brought it up.

i was thinking for mine...

timid butterfree with compound eyes.

sleep powder
u turn/bug buzz
physic
safeguard/protect. thats just me though. i havnt decided yet.
For the DW Butterfree set, I'd use this, but it's outclassed by Venomoth to an extent:
-Sleep Powder
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Psychic/Hidden Power (Ground/Fire)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Tinted Lens

As for regular Butterfree, using accurate Stun Spores and Sleep Powders is Butterfree's main niche, so try this out. It's not meant to cause damage right off the bat, but it's meant to support your team with status while annoying your opponent at the same time:
-Sleep Powder
-Stun Spore
-U-turn
-Bug Buzz
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: CompoundEyes

Shadow-L

Lonesome Road
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 9, 2013
Would anyone care to give me the EV's for a Wish/Protect Salamence? I'm too lazy to look it up on Smogon. :P

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2014
idk it but shouldnt it be hp/spd and 4 on def?

go with what symbonite said lol XP

Last edited:

Shadow-L

Lonesome Road
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 9, 2013
Ah, thanks guys. I've actually wanted to try this out since Gen 4, but I think that it would preform better in this meta anyways. Thanks again.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Roost is better than Protect. Salamence cant afford to run Protect with Stealth Rock everywhere, so the instant healing is really useful.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I just got a flawless Jolly Skorupi and I need advice on a viable set for it ^_^

Well, Skorupi isn't an offensive Pokemon so Jolly goes to waist on it. Impish is the nature it needs because it is meant to be a physical wall, of sorts.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
You could use SD

Drapion @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
Jolly Nature
Trait : Sniper
- Swords Dance
- Night Slash
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

Only use it in the lower tiers though or its outclassed. Or you could slap a CB on it and use Pursuit over SD, up to you.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I'd like to use a mixed Virizion with Work-Up.

I'm told that Hasty is the best nature, but what EV spread and moveset should I use?

TBH a better mixed Virizion is the SD set plus HP Ice. Work Up is a move that powers it up half as fast and makes it obvious that it's mixed right off the bat. I think you should consider SD + HP Ice before trying something like that.

I imagine you'd abuse Giga Drain for recovery and uhh Close Combat so you don't have to rely on Focus Blast. HP Ice for coverage. The EVs need max Speed and then probably a strongly Specially inclined EV investment. Dunno how much EVs it requires for Virizion to OHKO Chansey with CC but yeah, might want to calc those numbers.

Years
I am about to start ev training for LC pokemon now, but i have the question of, how do i ev train them at such a low level while keeping them below lv5. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. :)

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I am about to start ev training for LC pokemon now, but i have the question of, how do i ev train them at such a low level while keeping them below lv5. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. :)

Well obviously you want to maximize the amount of EVs given, so you can go through and do all of your standard EV-increasing things like getting PKRS etc. You can and should use Vitamins to bring your Pokemon to 100 EVs before anything else, as well as using Power items to give yourself four extra EVs in a particular stat as well. You also want to cut EXP gain as much as possible; therefore, I would get as many EXP shares as you can and carry a team of six with you, leading with your to-be-trained Pokemon and the rest holding EXP shares. From there you can switch out to a stronger Pokemon and kill off the opponent for much less EXP than if the first one had KO'd on its own.

So, basically:

- use Vitamins
- max out your EV-obtaining stuff
- use EXP shares to spread EXP to other party members instead of your baby mon

And that's all I can think of, really. You should have plenty of space to work in EVs if you follow something like this.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
Is this a good set for a Lapras?

Naive|Hydration @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Ice Beam, Dragon Pulse
EVs: 60 Atk, 198 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd

Years
Is this a good set for a Lapras?

Naive|Hydration @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Ice Beam, Dragon Pulse
EVs: 60 Atk, 198 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd

I'd take advantage of Lapras's HP if I were you, and also give it rest to abuse Hydration and Dragon Pulse is sort of redundant with Ice Beam, I also reccomend that you make it primarily Physical, since you want to abuse Dragon Dance as much as possible, as well. Good luck and if this set doesn't work, you could check out Smogon's Analysis here.

Lapras @ Leftovers
168 HP/88 Attack/252 Speed
Timid Nature
Trait: Hydration
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage/Return/Ice Shard
-Rest
-Waterfall

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
I'd like to use a mixed Virizion with Work-Up.

I'm told that Hasty is the best nature, but what EV spread and moveset should I use?

You can use the one Vrai suggested or the one that I've currently been testing.

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 192 Atk / 64 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Work Up
- Giga Drain
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

It uses Close Combat over Focus miss because well, focus blast never hits. 192 attack EVs allows you to OHKO Scizor assuming you have 1+ layer of spikes and SR on the field at +1.

Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2011
Aggron Moveset

I'm having trouble with my aggrons moveset right now he is the nature that i forgotwhat it was called but it benefits defence and hinders speed.

so far his moveset is -

Rock slide
double edge
protect
iron tail

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Before suggesting some moves, which generation is this being used in? Black and White bring some pretty good moves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back