• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Thought I would post here instead of making a new thread hopefully its ok

I can't figure out how to get pokemon hack games to work on gameboid, an android app. i know there needs to be a .gba extention for the game to work but when i download a game it usually says .ips on the end

I heard I need to perhaps patch the file on the computer so it can work on my phone but how to i do this?

many thanks

Use an IPS patcher like LUNAR IPS patcher or some other tools.. :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
Hi, I just started hacking recently and I ran into some trouble when trying to replace some sprites. The front sprite turned out right but the backsprite is colored weirdly. I've only inserted two sprites but this has been the case for both of them. Is there any specific reasons why that might happen? Sorry if this is a very noobish/dumb question.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Hi, I just started hacking recently and I ran into some trouble when trying to replace some sprites. The front sprite turned out right but the backsprite is colored weirdly. I've only inserted two sprites but this has been the case for both of them. Is there any specific reasons why that might happen? Sorry if this is a very noobish/dumb question.
As I recall, the backsprites use the shiny palette.

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
When ever create my own code involving speech in XSE it doesn't work in game. When I use a msgbox code in XSE, it changes the box offset for example if I code in:
msgbox 0x5 and compile it, when I open the script again it becomes msgbox 0x5. I don't know if this is the problem but it gets really tiresome.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
When ever create my own code involving speech in XSE it doesn't work in game. When I use a msgbox code in XSE, it changes the box offset for example if I code in:
msgbox 0x5 and compile it, when I open the script again it becomes msgbox 0x5. I don't know if this is the problem but it gets really tiresome.
I'm confused as to what you mean. Can you post your original script?

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
msgbox 0x880006A 0x5 '"It's an injured Pokemon.\n Should I..." 
compare 0x800D 0x1
if 0x1 goto 0x800023
compare 0x800D 0x0
if 0x1 goto 0x800061
end

#org 0x800061
msgbox 0x88000A0 0x6 '"That's okay.\pI'm sure someone else..." 
release
end

#org 0x800023
givepokemon 0xC5 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
fanfare 0x13E
msgbox 0x88000D4 0x6
waitfanfare
closeonkeypress
setflag 0x828
msgbox 0x88000FA 0x5
compare 0x800D 0x1 
if 0x1 goto 0x80005A
compare 0x800D 0x0
if 0x1 goto @continue
release
end

#org @continue
msgbox 0x8800137 0x6 '"I should take it to a/n Pokemon Cen..."
hidesprite 0x800F
setflag 0x228
release
end

#org 0x80005A
call 0x81A74EB
return

#org 0x1A74EB
fadescreen 0x1
special 0x9E
waitstate
goto @continue

#org 0x80006A
= It's an injured Pokemon.\n Should I take It with me?

#org 0x8000A0
= That's okay.\pI'm sure someone else will\ntake it.

#org 0x8000D4
= [black_fr]You received a Charmander!

#org 0x8000FA
= [black_fr]Would you like to give a\nnickname to Charmander?

#org 0x800137
= I should take it to a/n Pokemon Center.

it changes this by removing all my message box offsets. in other words when I compile this msgbox 0x6 will become just msgbox

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
msgbox 0x880006A 0x5 '"It's an injured Pokemon.\n Should I..." 
compare 0x800D 0x1
if 0x1 goto 0x800023
compare 0x800D 0x0
if 0x1 goto 0x800061
end

#org 0x800061
msgbox 0x88000A0 0x6 '"That's okay.\pI'm sure someone else..." 
release
end

#org 0x800023
givepokemon 0xC5 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
fanfare 0x13E
msgbox 0x88000D4 0x6
waitfanfare
closeonkeypress
setflag 0x828
msgbox 0x88000FA 0x5
compare 0x800D 0x1 
if 0x1 goto 0x80005A
compare 0x800D 0x0
if 0x1 goto @continue
release
end

#org @continue
msgbox 0x8800137 0x6 '"I should take it to a/n Pokemon Cen..."
hidesprite 0x800F
setflag 0x228
release
end

#org 0x80005A
call 0x81A74EB
return

#org 0x1A74EB
fadescreen 0x1
special 0x9E
waitstate
goto @continue

#org 0x80006A
= It's an injured Pokemon.\n Should I take It with me?

#org 0x8000A0
= That's okay.\pI'm sure someone else will\ntake it.

#org 0x8000D4
= [black_fr]You received a Charmander!

#org 0x8000FA
= [black_fr]Would you like to give a\nnickname to Charmander?

#org 0x800137
= I should take it to a/n Pokemon Center.
it changes this by removing all my message box offsets. in other words when I compile this msgbox 0x6 will become just msgbox

It sounds like you have an older version of XSE...one that uses callstd's after msgbox. What version of XSE do you have?

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
I use XSE version 0.4 and I can't seem to find a newer version of it.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years

Make sure that the palettes you're using for the front sprite and backsprite synch up. For example, if the fifth colour is black in the front sprite, but blue in the backsprite then the backsprite will look really weird as everything that is supposed to be blue will be black (The frontsprites of shiny Pokemon will look messed up while their backsprites will look nice). You should still insert the backsprite as the shiny version, but make sure what is frontsprite's first colour has a correct counterpart in the first colour of the backsprite etc

Sorry for wording it horribly

I use XSE version 0.4 and I can't seem to find a newer version of it.

Wow, 0.4? Here's a link to version 1.1.1

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2021
I'm hacking Fire Red and am trying to mess around with the Elite Four. I would like to make it to where the Elite Four is replaced with new characters after the completion of the Sevii Island side quests for the duration of their "round 2" forms. For example:

Say I wish to replace Lorelie with Giovanni. I replaced her Round 2 league data with a Giovanni trainer sprite, name and team. Repointed the data and set. Now when I battle her, it will be Giovanni.

HOWEVER, Lorelie will remain the overworld sprite. So my question is, what type of event script would I need to use to have the game replace the elite four overworlds as well, but only when the conditions are met? (I'm imagining it will need to be placed at the entrance to the elite four in order for the game to change the overworlds). Ideally, I would be able to then rescript each sprite separately from their current counterparts as those each have individual checkflags that determine which speech and trainer id they refer to.

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2012
In relation to Spinda, I don't really want Spinda to have its spots anymore and i'm trying to remove them (adding a new sprite in its place, the style of the sprite is in conflict with the spot programming). I could also recolor the sprite, but I think this is a bit too simple and would get in the way of what I actually want. So there are some options i'd like to ask for.

1) How can I repoint the spot data so it doesn't bother me anymore?

2) Where is the data so I can delete it, unless deleting it directly will crash the game if Spinda shows up.

Just some way to get rid of the spots showing up on Spinda, really.

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
I'm hacking Fire Red and am trying to mess around with the Elite Four. I would like to make it to where the Elite Four is replaced with new characters after the completion of the Sevii Island side quests for the duration of their "round 2" forms. For example:

Say I wish to replace Lorelie with Giovanni. I replaced her Round 2 league data with a Giovanni trainer sprite, name and team. Repointed the data and set. Now when I battle her, it will be Giovanni.

HOWEVER, Lorelie will remain the overworld sprite. So my question is, what type of event script would I need to use to have the game replace the elite four overworlds as well, but only when the conditions are met? (I'm imagining it will need to be placed at the entrance to the elite four in order for the game to change the overworlds). Ideally, I would be able to then rescript each sprite separately from their current counterparts as those each have individual checkflags that determine which speech and trainer id they refer to.

Put both overworld sprites on the same map. Set a level script (Look up a tutorial if you don't know how) to check a flag, and if it's round 1, hide the second sprite, and if it's round 2, hide the first sprite upon entering the room.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2021
Put both overworld sprites on the same map. Set a level script (Look up a tutorial if you don't know how) to check a flag, and if it's round 1, hide the second sprite, and if it's round 2, hide the first sprite upon entering the room.

*facepalm* of course I forgot about using level scripts. Thank you.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
In relation to Spinda, I don't really want Spinda to have its spots anymore and i'm trying to remove them (adding a new sprite in its place, the style of the sprite is in conflict with the spot programming). I could also recolor the sprite, but I think this is a bit too simple and would get in the way of what I actually want. So there are some options i'd like to ask for.

1) How can I repoint the spot data so it doesn't bother me anymore?

2) Where is the data so I can delete it, unless deleting it directly will crash the game if Spinda shows up.

Just some way to get rid of the spots showing up on Spinda, really.

Try doing this tutorial http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=183874 but rather than doing that try using WICHU's sprite editor so you would just import the image and synchronise the palletes... :)

You have to have a clean Spinda sprite in 64x64 and indexed....

Try searching for the SPINDA frontsprite in UNLZ I think the pokemon images start with 668 in FireRed....:)

you can repoint them by doing the FSF thingy in the tutorial.....

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2012
Try doing this tutorial [...] but rather than doing that try using WICHU's sprite editor so you would just import the image and synchronise the palletes... :)

You have to have a clean Spinda sprite in 64x64 and indexed....

Try searching for the SPINDA frontsprite in UNLZ I think the pokemon images start with 668 in FireRed....:)

you can repoint them by doing the FSF thingy in the tutorial.....

I already know how to add new sprites, unless you're saying that the method you're mentioning in question makes it so the spots don't follow the Spinda sprite when repointed. I also use Wichu's program to do it since its simpler. So i'm guessing using UNLZ is effective?

G33K

The guy you will someday work
Years
I am currently hacking pokemon ruby, and i have run into a problem. for some reason, after editing with AM 1.95, while playing there are perts of the game that just look like a bunch of random tiles. does anybody have any ideas wgy this might be?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
*facepalm* of course I forgot about using level scripts. Thank you.

To be honest you don't even need level scripts!

Have a FLAG1 set before entering the Elite 4, and set the 2nd League OWs with that flag as their ID number.

Then, once you finish the Sevii Island stuff both set FLAG2 (assigned to all 1st League OWs) and clear FLAG1. Gives a flawless switch over with no additional scripts at all!

Years
Hey I was just wandering how one would use advanced map to create an entirely new region? Would you delete everything and start from scratch or just take each town/route and edit them separately and move around the connections as to create a new map?? also how would one add more regions to the existing one?? ie. adding in hoenn to fire red??

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
Hey I was just wandering how one would use advanced map to create an entirely new region? Would you delete everything and start from scratch or just take each town/route and edit them separately and move around the connections as to create a new map?? also how would one add more regions to the existing one?? ie. adding in hoenn to fire red??

Well you would have to just use all of the maps and plan what you are going to do before hand. You can always make room for more maps too, there's a tutorial somewhere a long time ago (I'd google it).

In fire red, it's easier to make multiple world maps since several already exist in the game due to the sevii islands. S really this all comes down to adding more maps, changing ones you don't need, and planning ahead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back